post #181 of 2000 Old 11-02-2007, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticnads View Post

For owners of speakers that output a 4ohm load, no Pioneer Elite is fit to power these speakers. I called Pioneer myself and I also found it in the manual. 6 ohms is a go.

Now i am looking into the yamaha 1800, atleast that receiver can power the fronts that are 4 ohms

If you like the rest of the features, why not just get an amp that can handle the 4 ohms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2000 Old 11-02-2007, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthx View Post

I can't give a testemonial based on pure receiver power, but I just picked up a 92 and have the front pre-outed to Rotel amps and I was relieved to hear how good this sounded, not just for movies (which I assumed would sound fine) but for music and two-channel in particular. Everything I hoped for.

What size amp is the Rotel?

I'm currently using a 100w Adcom with my Denon AVR, but looking to upgrade to the 92 (or 94).
post #183 of 2000 Old 11-02-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

What size amp is the Rotel?

I'm currently using a 100w Adcom with my Denon AVR, but looking to upgrade to the 92 (or 94).

I actually have two Rotel amps for the front. One 200 watt powering the center channel and a 200x2 powering the L & R. They have quite a bit of head-room and power the heck out of my Paradigm Studio Reference series.

I do use the Pioneer 92 to power my rear & side speakers.
post #184 of 2000 Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM

I just picked up my 92 today. I tried to hook up my Bryston 4B to run the fronts, but the hum was unbearable. Does anyone have any suggestions.

RLL
post #185 of 2000 Old 11-07-2007, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've been looking at the Onkyo 805, 875 and the 885 prepro, but have been turned off by the lip sync issues (among other things). Has anybody noticed or heard about any lip sync issues with the 92 or other new Elite receivers?
post #186 of 2000 Old 11-07-2007, 05:14 PM

hey guys i have a question, i just got face/off on hddvd, i use my toshiba a35 and it's set to bitstream thru hdmi, now when i select the dts soundtrack i get a readout on my 92 which says dts-hd mstr and i as wondering if anyone else is running a similar and getting the same results. this is the first disc that does this has anybody else run into this before???

Keith

MHT pro store 503
atlanta,ga.
post #187 of 2000 Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post

I've been looking at the Onkyo 805, 875 and the 885 prepro, but have been turned off by the lip sync issues (among other things). Has anybody noticed or heard about any lip sync issues with the 92 or other new Elite receivers?

No Tonight Show because of the strike so you have time to post?? :-)

No sync issues what-so-ever yet. I too use it as a pre-pro and have put it through the paces w/ broadcast Sat, & all audio codecs from BR & HD-DVD to standard DVD. So far so good!

-Mike
post #188 of 2000 Old 11-07-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthx View Post

No sync issues what-so-ever yet. I too use it as a pre-pro and have put it through the paces w/ broadcast Sat, & all audio codecs from BR & HD-DVD to standard DVD. So far so good!

Cool. What amps are you using it with, and how do you like it as a pre-pro?
post #189 of 2000 Old 11-08-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:

No issues with lip sync and there is a setting for video delay hidden deep in the setup menu somewhere that I found.
I like this receiver, it sounds cleaner than our old Yamaha 1500, which died last week, thus the upgrade.
My concern is that the MCACC defaults the speakers to large and cuts the sub even when I manually set the speakers to small. If I set the speakers to large with +sub and do the MCACC it sets things up and then there is no output to the sub. I have to manually set the speakers to small which then activates the sub. I don't know if the other MCACC settings are remaining after I do this. I know I am getting more bass with the sub working.
Other things - I use an HD DVD A2 and only the PCM lights up when decoding Dolby TrueHD, I talked to someone that has an A35 and the 94TXH, he says the TrueHD light will come on.
My thought on lower sound levels. I think the lower levels on the HD sound is a result of having a wider dynamic range on those soundtracks. This is to give more headroom to the amp to play various effects. Just a thought.
This is my first post to this forum, thanks for all the information you all have contributed.
post #190 of 2000 Old 11-08-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Cool. What amps are you using it with, and how do you like it as a pre-pro?

I have a 5-channel Rotel and a 2-channel Rotel. I was a little concerened that the Pioneer wouldn't be as good for music as the Denon that I was replacing, but I'm happily surprised at how good it sounds. I've been using the new Elite 95FD Blu player for two channel playback a little bit and that too sounds really great. I'm thrilled.
post #191 of 2000 Old 11-08-2007, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have found that analog bypass in 92 or 94 for 2 channel listening is quite good for a receiver, better than I expected. If you have a decent stand-alone CD player then connect it to CD input & it automatically bypasses all processing.

Vinod
post #192 of 2000 Old 11-08-2007, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaplante View Post

Other things - I use an HD DVD A2 and only the PCM lights up when decoding Dolby TrueHD, I talked to someone that has an A35 and the 94TXH, he says the TrueHD light will come on.

That's because you don't have an A35. Only the A35 will work and get the TruHD light to come on.
post #193 of 2000 Old 11-08-2007, 09:36 AM

I know the A2 will only put out the PCM signal after it decodes the Dolby TrueHD. To bad all these new features don't work right away. It seems there is always something just around the corner, like HDMI 1.3a compatibility etc. There will always be another new thing to upgrade to. Hopefully this 92TXH will have a little bit of future-proof!
post #194 of 2000 Old 11-08-2007, 10:42 AM

I am thinking about buying the 92 or 94 receiver
Since there are owners of 92 here i wanted to ask couple of questions.
This is what i own

Pioneer Elite 950HD
PS3 - HDMI
XboX 360 Elite - HDMI
XboX - Component
Denon 1930 Ci - Could be Component or HDMI either way.
(Front) Martin Logan Montages
(Rear) Klipsch RB-52
(Sub) Martin Logan Abyss
(Center) Fresco I

Biggest question that i had with the integration of the 92 and the 94, will i be able to run just 1 HDMI cable from PS3 and the XboX 360 Elite and get my audio to the receiver and video to my television.

That is what i am looking towards doing with my system. I have heard the way 94 sounds in BestBuy Magnolia, and i like it. Is the 92 any more different than the 94?
If you experts can help me today i might just go and get one of these babies today.
Thats all i have been waiting on, now to let you know i am using an older yamaha receiver that i have owned for about 6 years.
post #195 of 2000 Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 AM

Forgot to add this i am not sure if it make any difference
the PS3 and XboX 360 Elite are connected with Monster Ultra 1000 HDMI
The receiver to the TV is going to be M-Series HDMI

I do plan to purchse the Samsung Dual Player thats about to come out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3001 View Post

I am thinking about buying the 92 or 94 receiver
Since there are owners of 92 here i wanted to ask couple of questions.
This is what i own

Pioneer Elite 950HD
PS3 - HDMI
XboX 360 Elite - HDMI
XboX - Component
Denon 1930 Ci - Could be Component or HDMI either way.
(Front) Martin Logan Montages
(Rear) Klipsch RB-52
(Sub) Martin Logan Abyss
(Center) Fresco I

Biggest question that i had with the integration of the 92 and the 94, will i be able to run just 1 HDMI cable from PS3 and the XboX 360 Elite and get my audio to the receiver and video to my television.

That is what i am looking towards doing with my system. I have heard the way 94 sounds in BestBuy Magnolia, and i like it. Is the 92 any more different than the 94?
If you experts can help me today i might just go and get one of these babies today.
Thats all i have been waiting on, now to let you know i am using an older yamaha receiver that i have owned for about 6 years.

post #196 of 2000 Old 11-08-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mht503pro View Post

hey guys i have a question, i just got face/off on hddvd, i use my toshiba a35 and it's set to bitstream thru hdmi, now when i select the dts soundtrack i get a readout on my 92 which says dts-hd mstr and i as wondering if anyone else is running a similar and getting the same results. this is the first disc that does this has anybody else run into this before???

Mine said the same thing from an A35 to my 92. It's not MA so I don't know why it is displaying master on the 92. DTS ES 6.1 is max 1.5. Weird though...not sure why it displays master audio when it's not.
post #197 of 2000 Old 11-08-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No issues with lip sync and there is a setting for video delay hidden deep in the setup menu somewhere that I found.
I like this receiver, it sounds cleaner than our old Yamaha 1500, which died last week, thus the upgrade.
My concern is that the MCACC defaults the speakers to large and cuts the sub even when I manually set the speakers to small. If I set the speakers to large with +sub and do the MCACC it sets things up and then there is no output to the sub. I have to manually set the speakers to small which then activates the sub. I don't know if the other MCACC settings are remaining after I do this. I know I am getting more bass with the sub working.
My thought on lower sound levels. I think the lower levels on the HD sound is a result of having a wider dynamic range on those soundtracks. This is to give more headroom to the amp to play various effects. Just a thought.
This is my first post to this forum, thanks for all the information you all have contributed.

My MCACC also defaulted my speakers to large. (I haven't read one person who reported otherwise) When I changed them to small, and left the sub as it was from the MCACC, it just didn't sound right. It was a little flat. I read a post from somebody who recommended changing speakers to large and sub to plus. I did that and it was much better. With this setting, I get plenty of bass out of my sub even though speakers are set to large.
post #198 of 2000 Old 11-08-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. One HDMI cable from your PS3, one cable from your 360, both into the 92 or 94; out via hdmi to your Plasma.

Regarding 92 vs. 94. They are essentially the same. With the 94 you pick up an extra HDMI input, a USB input, along with an Ethernet connection to use the HMG function (home media gallery, ability to access music/video/files from components connected to your home network) and streaming of Internet Radio. You also pick up 70 extra watts .

"...I'm ready for dream-time Mr. B."
post #199 of 2000 Old 11-08-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Yes just connect all your HDMI sources to the 92/94 and then run one cable from the 92/94 to your TV and your audio will be decoded through the receiver and video sent to the TV.

The 92/94 are pretty much the same units except the 94 has 1 more HDMI input, USB input and Network connection. Also a tiny bump in wattage which is pretty much irrelevant as no one is going to be able to tell the difference between the 92 and 94.

As for cables when you mention Monster the first thing I think of is that you way over paid for them. Not sure what the M series is but these cables from Monoprice are as good or better then anything Monster has http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #200 of 2000 Old 11-08-2007, 01:41 PM

If you guys don't mind answering 1 more question for me.
would you prefer the Denon 3808Ci over the VSX 94
or the 2808 CI over the VSX 92?
i have been told the Audyssey on the Denon is very impressive. Would that benefit me?
my room setup is i have a bed thats in the back of the room and thats it nothing in the middle or any seats anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklinger View Post

Yes just connect all your HDMI sources to the 92/94 and then run one cable from the 92/94 to your TV and your audio will be decoded through the receiver and video sent to the TV.

The 92/94 are pretty much the same units except the 94 has 1 more HDMI input, USB input and Network connection. Also a tiny bump in wattage which is pretty much irrelevant as no one is going to be able to tell the difference between the 92 and 94.

As for cables when you mention Monster the first thing I think of is that you way over paid for them. Not sure what the M series is but these cables from Monoprice are as good or better then anything Monster has http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilent1 View Post

Yes. One HDMI cable from your PS3, one cable from your 360, both into the 92 or 94; out via hdmi to your Plasma.

Regarding 92 vs. 94. They are essentially the same. With the 94 you pick up an extra HDMI input, a USB input, along with an Ethernet connection to use the HMG function (home media gallery, ability to access music/video/files from components connected to your home network) and streaming of Internet Radio. You also pick up 70 extra watts .

post #201 of 2000 Old 11-08-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

My MCACC also defaulted my speakers to large. (I haven't read one person who reported otherwise) When I changed them to small, and left the sub as it was from the MCACC, it just didn't sound right. It was a little flat. I read a post from somebody who recommended changing speakers to large and sub to plus. I did that and it was much better. With this setting, I get plenty of bass out of my sub even though speakers are set to large.

I tried that and things seemed to be OK until I noticed that the sub wasn't on after I re-did the MCACC. I was getting bass out of our B&W 601's and it fooled me into thinking the sub was on but it wasn't. I went in and manually set the speakers to small and the sub magically works with lots of bass, but as you say, the sound is a little flat. Going to play with it some more. I am sure there is a solution. I have only had the unit for 5 days so the learning curve is still pretty steep for me. Thanks for the input.
post #202 of 2000 Old 11-09-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:

I tried that and things seemed to be OK until I noticed that the sub wasn't on after I re-did the MCACC. I was getting bass out of our B&W 601's and it fooled me into thinking the sub was on but it wasn't. I went in and manually set the speakers to small and the sub magically works with lots of bass, but as you say, the sound is a little flat. Going to play with it some more. I am sure there is a solution. I have only had the unit for 5 days so the learning curve is still pretty steep for me. Thanks for the input.

What I learned today, with a bit of discussion with the installer at Pro Sound in Sudbury.
1 - When using the Auto MCACC it will probably set your system up to default to large speakers and sub - yes, meaning that the sub will probably only come on with a Dolby 5:1 decoding. (During the MCACC it paused and told me to increase the volume of the sub, opposite of what happened last time. It seems strange that when you first start that Auto MCACC it says to turn up the volume of the sub).
2 - After the Auto MCACC has done it's thing, go into the manual setup menu and change your speaker settings to whatever you have but change the sub to Plus.
I left the front R/L speakers - Large, Center and all surrounds - Small, Sub - Plus
This didn't change the other settings the auto MCACC did (distance, reverb, EQ etc.).
The system now is sounding really good. Not flat sounding, it is very clean and lively with good bass.
It's the best it has sounded since I got the system a week ago.
Give it a try and see how it works for you.

Regards
post #203 of 2000 Old 11-09-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What I learned today, with a bit of discussion with the installer at Pro Sound in Sudbury.
1 - When using the Auto MCACC it will probably set your system up to default to large speakers and sub - yes, meaning that the sub will probably only come on with a Dolby 5:1 decoding. (During the MCACC it paused and told me to increase the volume of the sub, opposite of what happened last time. It seems strange that when you first start that Auto MCACC it says to turn up the volume of the sub).
2 - After the Auto MCACC has done it's thing, go into the manual setup menu and change your speaker settings to whatever you have but change the sub to Plus.
I left the front R/L speakers - Large, Center and all surrounds - Small, Sub - Plus
This didn't change the other settings the auto MCACC did (distance, reverb, EQ etc.).
The system now is sounding really good. Not flat sounding, it is very clean and lively with good bass.
It's the best it has sounded since I got the system a week ago.
Give it a try and see how it works for you.

Regards

Yes, this is what I did. I believe that is what I said in response to your post before when you weren't getting the sound you were looking for. Anyway, glad it worked out for you. I am really enjoying this receiver.
post #204 of 2000 Old 11-09-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Yes, this is what I did. I believe that is what I said in response to your post before when you weren't getting the sound you were looking for. Anyway, glad it worked out for you. I am really enjoying this receiver.

I guess I miss understood your post before. Just watched Spiderman 3 and it sounded great with the new settings.
We are really finding that this unit is performing well now. I hope it stands up better than the Yamaha.
post #205 of 2000 Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I just picked one of these up this afternoon from a local dealer in So. Cal. I won't be able to set it up until tomorrow or Sunday, but will post impressions as soon as I can.

BTW, I asked the dealer about the MACC and he recommended presciely what the folks from Pro Sound did, as referenced in post #202.
post #206 of 2000 Old 11-10-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a mini review. I am loving this unit so far (with one minor technical difficulty I posted on the 94 thread).

I need to experiment more with using it for music, but I have tried a couple of movies on it and prefer by a pretty wide margin it to my much higher end pre-pro (which admittedly is a few years old). The overall sound quality and dialogue quality is excellent, and the surround effects are awesome, letting you really get immersed in the movie, and I am hearing details that I never heard before on certain scenes that I have watched dozens and dozens of times before.

I used the MACC and had no problems with it. It set my speakers to small (which is what they are) and made me turn down the sub volume on the sub itself in order to calibrate. I thought the sub output would be low, as people have noted this on other threads, but the sub volume is plenty good. I also don't have any issues with low volume. I had Pearl Harbor on with the battle scene, and could not really turn it up even to 0 db, as it was plenty, plenty loud.

I need to figure out a few more things and do some tweaking -- the unit and the manual are quite complicated, like all these receivers nowadays -- but some far I really like this unit.

BTW, I almost bought an Onkyo, but was concerned about heat and lip sync issues. I actually burned my hand on an Onkyo 805 at CC and thought it would burn me if I kept it there more than 3 seconds. No heat issues at all on this unit after two hours play time, and no lip sync issues that I have seen.
post #207 of 2000 Old 11-10-2007, 07:00 PM

I am new at this, but I do have one quick question and I know some of you guys really know what you are talking about so I figured to ask here. The guy at Tweeter recomended I wait for the Sony 4300es and compare it to the 92 thx. Do you guys think I should that or go with my gut feeling which is the 92thx. Any comments would be great. Thanks
post #208 of 2000 Old 11-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigz8657 View Post

I am new at this, but I do have one quick question and I know some of you guys really know what you are talking about so I figured to ask here. The guy at Tweeter recomended I wait for the Sony 4300es and compare it to the 92 thx. Do you guys think I should that or go with my gut feeling which is the 92thx. Any comments would be great. Thanks

Just curious. Did the Tweeter guy give you a reason why? Is it features or SQ you are looking for? Is there a particular feature you are looking for on the Sony?
post #209 of 2000 Old 11-10-2007, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigz8657 View Post

Maybe the guy is a fan of Sony products. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Sony stuff, but I'm not sure why. Something in my past I just can't remember. Anyway, I wouldn't put much stock in what the Tweeter guy says unless he had a reason the 4300es was worth waiting for. I'd do some research on this forum, and try to figure out which features are most important to you -- and which "issues" you can live with, since all of these receivers seem to have one or more issues.
post #210 of 2000 Old 11-11-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 79
New 92 owner here. I just replaced an 82.

I was skeptical about Bitstream HD audio vs PCM and to me the receiver does a better job of processing the sound. OR it could be that the 92 has an overall better internals over the 82.

Either way, I'm happy with my purchase. I have everything hooked back up again and all inputs changed over to what I had before. Didn't take long at all.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Vsx 92txh Elite Home Theater A V Receiver , Sony Bdp S1 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver , Yamaha Rx V995 Surround Receiver With Dolby Digital And Dts Decoding , Pioneer Elite Bdp 94hd Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page