Official Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH thread - AVS Forum
1 2  3  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Official Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH thread
jcs913's Avatar jcs913 09:09 AM 09-17-2007
The 94 has a big thread, why not the 92. Tell all about performance, setup, problems, etc. Let's move this thread so others will be convinced this is a great receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

bferr1's Avatar bferr1 09:14 AM 09-17-2007
Do you actually have a 92? Can you start with performance, setup, etc. I am torn between this and a 94 and would love to read some feedback from 92 owners.
jones2416's Avatar jones2416 09:32 AM 09-17-2007
I had the 92 for a few days. It would not pass video through HDMI with my Sony BDP-S1 Blu-Ray player (updated firmware 2.1). My HD-DVD A2 and my Apple TV worked Great. I miss this unit. It sounded great but no one from Sony or Pioneer really offered me any help. I purchased a Onkyo 805 as the replacement and it really does not compare.
CraigR's Avatar CraigR 11:06 AM 09-17-2007
I just set up my 92 this weekend. Ran the MCACC and it did a pretty good job. I had to go in and manually set the front speakers to small (they are B&W 805N). But overall was impressed with the performance of the automatic setup.
I have a PS3 hooked up with HDMI to the 92...this is just for audio purposes only at this time. The PS3 has component cables directly connected to an older 1080i tv. Hope to get a new TV next year with 1080P capability.
The sound quality is very impressive on movies. Especially with BD's like 300. I enjoyed playing two channel music from a stand alone CD player. Need to spend some more time in this area listening and tweaking.
Still would like to mess around with some of the settings but my wife wanted me to do some work around the house instead....wives can be a pain sometimes when you want to work on your hobby.
Overall I'm very pleased with this purchase.
mel22b's Avatar mel22b 11:38 AM 09-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones2416 View Post

I had the 92 for a few days. It would not pass video through HDMI with my Sony BDP-S1 Blu-Ray player (updated firmware 2.1). My HD-DVD A2 and my Apple TV worked Great. I miss this unit. It sounded great but no one from Sony or Pioneer really offered me any help. I purchased a Onkyo 805 as the replacement and it really does not compare.

Just to clarify the Onkyo 805 does not sound as good as the Elite?

I also would like to know if the 94 is worth the extra money over the 92.
Scott Mat's Avatar Scott Mat 11:40 AM 09-17-2007
I have a 92 for about a week. I like it but have several issues that need attention.

First, when hooking my Pio 47avi DVD player trough the unit to my Pio elite 50" plasma on HDMI I got borders on all four sides. If I route straight to the plasma the video fills the widescreen. Rather than mess with it I have not put time in to solve this issue but will need to resolve it in the future when I get a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray to send the auidio to the reciever as well (now it is passing on coax audio).

Second, anyone using SR+ should note that you must activate it in the setup menu, turn off HDMI control AND press the SR+ button on the remote!! This took me two days to figure out.

Third, there seems to be a million surround formats I am not familiar with. At some point I will figure out what to do with them.

Fourth, I have not had time to do the MCACC yet. My unit is downstairs in my rack and I had to buy a 25ft mono extension cable to run it. I will probably do the MCACC tomorrow and will report any issues.

Overall the unit sound great (had a Yamaha 995)! The manual could be a lot better. There are lots of things to consider and set up with AV Receivers these days.

Good luck all,

Scott
Stivie's Avatar Stivie 06:17 PM 09-17-2007
I posted this in the other longer all new Pioneer model threads but it belongs here.

I also picked up the 92TXH a few days ago from BB Magnolia.

I have upgraded from 5 or 6 year old Denon 4802 and some of the initial comparisons are good. I'm now also running a PS3 and HD-A2 with DD+ and TrueHD and thats a night a day difference. The MCACC also did a decent job of setup but may need to try this again.

It's also nice to be able to rename some of the inputs as well. The one thing I have noticed is when out putting through only HDMI from a component source (Xbox360 and Comcast HD Cable) I get diagonal banding through the screen on HD material but not on SD material being upconverted. I switched to componet out and it went away.

The remote does suck but I also have an 880 so its not too big of a deal.

Overall it is a decent upgrade if not just to be able to now take advatage of the new lossless audio formats. If anyone else runs into the HDMI/component issue I would like to know.

I would also like to know the differences between this and the Onkyo 805 from someone first hand.
jones2416's Avatar jones2416 06:57 PM 09-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel22b View Post

Just to clarify the Onkyo 805 does not sound as good as the Elite?

I also would like to know if the 94 is worth the extra money over the 92.

IMO I felt the Elite 92 has a more inviting / warm sound to it. The 805 is no slouch but it just seems too harsh for my ears.
jcs913's Avatar jcs913 09:54 PM 09-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

Do you actually have a 92? Can you start with performance, setup, etc. I am torn between this and a 94 and would love to read some feedback from 92 owners.

I owned last years 82 and loved it. I upgraded to this years model due to the new audio formats and the 1.3 sync with my upcoming Kuro. Once the Pio 95 BD player comes out, it will be a perfect mate with the 92.

I ran the MCACC( very easy to do), just like the 82 and was impressed with the new 4th gen options. I still run my speakers as large and SW as plus and get more than enough bass from my velodyne when LFE is present. Plus I get that warm deep sound from my NHT LR towers and the 92 together. The sound is identical to the 82, which also sold me.

As for the 94, I do not see myself ever needing a 4th HDMI, the power was not an issue, and I still do not believe that the Ethernet port is going to allow a correct firmware update. I still think it will have to be brought into a service center, if one is ever needed. I do not need internet radio either. So the 92 was more than fine for me.

I read an earlier comment about the guy returning the 92 for an Onkyo. Folks, I will tell you, and probably hear about it, that I would never buy an Onkyo receiver. Just remember that for all you get in those models, why is the price so low?? I believe their quality is terrible and have had several friends who have owned past Onkyo's only to get rid of them due to problems. I have never has a problem with my 82, or the 92 and have connected many different players to them. I have connected a Sony BDP S1, just like the earlier poster and it played BD's perfectly. But who knows.

I noticed that many people do not read the manuals thoroughly to understand HOW the inputs work and work properly. If you are getting bars, then check your DVD settings first, then the receiver's manual. 10-15 years ago, I would only buy Sony receivers. I still like their stuff, but the Pioneers have sold me on sound over the last 5 years or so. The inputs and soundfields were all simple, now there are 50 different ways to change things. Be patient and enjoy the receiver. It is one of the best I have ever owned.

Use this thread to help yourself to knowledge. But remember that listening to this receiver with some good quality speakers in the showroom is the only way to sell yourself on it. I, and I know others feel this way, the Pioneer Elite's just have that warm musical feeling to them. The bass doesn't beat you up, the high's are almost moist (I know, sounds weird), the mids seem always tight and accurate, no matter what source is playing. When watching movies, the voice is always as realistic as I can remember. This is what I wanted in a receiver and got it. Good Luck and enjoy.
Cilent1's Avatar Cilent1 10:54 PM 09-17-2007
Thanks for the input jcs913. Makes me feel better about my purchase. I'll be hooking it up to a Kuro also and hoped they would play nice together .
mel22b's Avatar mel22b 10:26 AM 09-18-2007
I am just wondering if the Elites have on screen volume level through HDMI?
jones2416's Avatar jones2416 11:33 AM 09-18-2007
I read an earlier comment about the guy returning the 92 for an Onkyo. Folks, I will tell you, and probably hear about it, that I would never buy an Onkyo receiver. Just remember that for all you get in those models, why is the price so low?? I believe their quality is terrible and have had several friends who have owned past Onkyo's only to get rid of them due to problems. I have never has a problem with my 82, or the 92 and have connected many different players to them. I have connected a Sony BDP S1, just like the earlier poster and it played BD's perfectly. But who knows.

Please let me know what version of Firmware you are running. I would love to get this unit back but can not wait till Sony puts out a firmware to fix the problem. My HD-DVD and Apple TV did play fine through HDMI so I am sure it was not the Pioneer.
jcs913's Avatar jcs913 12:12 PM 09-18-2007
Quote:

Please let me know what version of Firmware you are running. I would love to get this unit back but can not wait till Sony puts out a firmware to fix the problem. My HD-DVD and Apple TV did play fine through HDMI so I am sure it was not the Pioneer.

The player was connected to my 82 about 6 months ago. The player was a friends, so I do not know what firmware there was. I do know, that I plugged it into the same input I use for my PS3. It was kind of my testing ground. I watched a movie on his S1, then watched a movie on my PS3. Both looked great, and hence I did not need the S1. There should be no difference between the 82 and 92 connections (besides the HDMI 1.2a and 1.3 factor, which means nothing in the overall signal sense) . As the PS3 and same DTV box play the same on the 82 and 92. As a matter of fact, when I connected the PS3 and DTV to the 92, it played beautifully right away. I do not know why your S1 is not playing. It should not be a handshake issue at all, but you never know.
jones2416's Avatar jones2416 12:28 PM 09-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs913 View Post

The player was connected to my 82 about 6 months ago. The player was a friends, so I do not know what firmware there was. I do know, that I plugged it into the same input I use for my PS3. It was kind of my testing ground. I watched a movie on his S1, then watched a movie on my PS3. Both looked great, and hence I did not need the S1. There should be no difference between the 82 and 92 connections (besides the HDMI 1.2a and 1.3 factor, which means nothing in the overall signal sense) . As the PS3 and same DTV box play the same on the 82 and 92. As a matter of fact, when I connected the PS3 and DTV to the 92, it played beautifully right away. I do not know why your S1 is not playing. It should not be a handshake issue at all, but you never know.

So basically you have not run a BDP-S1 (With current firmware) to a Pioneer 92?
CraigR's Avatar CraigR 12:36 PM 09-18-2007
jones2416
Just a thought and you probably have already done this but did you go into the S1 settings for video and audio to change it to HDMI?
I agree with your opinion on the Pio Elite sounding warmer than the Onkyo receiver.
Good luck on getting your S1 working right.
jones2416's Avatar jones2416 12:45 PM 09-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigR View Post

jones2416
Just a thought and you probably have already done this but did you go into the S1 settings for video and audio to change it to HDMI?
I agree with your opinion on the Pio Elite sounding warmer than the Onkyo receiver.
Good luck on getting your S1 working right.

Yes I did.. Thanks. I was able to take the HDMI cable and go directly to the TV no problems.. It was a issue between the Sony and the Pioneer... I just wish someone at either company really cared. The back and forth with each of them pointing the fingers at eachother was a joke.
jcs913's Avatar jcs913 07:09 PM 09-18-2007
Quote:

So basically you have not run a BDP-S1 (With current firmware) to a Pioneer 92?

Wish that I did, but no it was months ago.

By the way has anyone received their ipod cable yet?
bigbucky's Avatar bigbucky 10:41 PM 09-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs913 View Post

By the way has anyone received their ipod cable yet?

Got mine today. Works as promised. Now I just need to go back and re-rip my mp3's at a higher bitrate since using the link cable is such a convenient way to use the ipod with this receiver.
scbryan's Avatar scbryan 06:04 AM 09-20-2007
I have the BDP-94HD Blue ray player hooked up via HDMi to my 92 receiver. I have HDMi control set to on for both devices but when I try to use the auto genre surround setting, it gives me the "cannot select" message... Any idea why?
mel22b's Avatar mel22b 09:06 AM 09-20-2007
...and when you turn the volume up and down it is instantly displayed on screen???
jcs913's Avatar jcs913 07:31 PM 09-20-2007
Just got my ipod cable today.
mreloc's Avatar mreloc 03:02 PM 09-22-2007
Anyone know of a way to switch speakers (AtoB) with the remote? So far all I can figure is that it has to be done from the front panel...
miketec's Avatar miketec 11:33 AM 09-23-2007
I have mine(bdp-s1) hooked up to 92 and have no problem as well as my Toshiba A20.
I'm using SONY KDL-XBR2 52 here.
I used to have Samsung 42" plasma hooked to Elite 72 Model and had a lot HDMI Issues, and it turned out it was TV issue.
mht503pro's Avatar mht503pro 07:15 PM 09-23-2007
has anyone tried to get dolby true hd audio thru the 92 yet, i tried hooking up a new panasonic bluray player thru hdmi and selected the bitstream digital output and i just got dolby digital ex. i was going to try the toshiba a35 hddvd player but i was wondering if anyone else tried it. any first hand experience would be great.
azblackace's Avatar azblackace 09:29 PM 09-23-2007
Unless the new panasonic bluray is able to pass true hd through bitstream then it won't show up on the 92. Currently there are not players that will pass truehd or the master copy via bitstream. They will decode it internally and pass it via pcm.
palapagnon's Avatar palapagnon 08:14 AM 09-24-2007
Is FotoConnection an authorized dealer. Is it OK to buy from them. They seem to have good prices there.

Thanks.
jcs913's Avatar jcs913 09:11 AM 09-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by palapagnon View Post

Is FotoConnection an authorized dealer. Is it OK to buy from them. They seem to have good prices there.

Thanks.

They are not an authorized dealer. These are their only authorized dealers online:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...297187,00.html

Your best bet is to try and get one from a Magnolia. You can usually negotiate with them, or they may have their 12% off coupons still.
SAC-CA-HT's Avatar SAC-CA-HT 10:17 AM 09-24-2007
Kind of a different question...do these receivers have the issue the latter receiver line had of the "PCM LFE" bug? I tried to do some searching but really couldn't come up with what the issues were. I'm unsure if my 92 has those issues, but it seems when I'm watching TV the LFE is noticeable. When I put in a movie like Crank with a 7.1 soundtrack I don't notice it as much and I started to think if it was related to this. Am I worrying about nothing? And can someone tell me what this "bug" was? For some reason I'm search-tarded.
mht503pro's Avatar mht503pro 03:17 PM 09-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by azblackace View Post

Unless the new panasonic bluray is able to pass true hd through bitstream then it won't show up on the 92. Currently there are not players that will pass truehd or the master copy via bitstream. They will decode it internally and pass it via pcm.

well it was a newer unit, it can output bitstream audio without any internal encoding, thats why i was wondering if there was anything i was doing wrong. the player was set to bitstream out, connected thru hdmi and the receiver was set to standard surround decode but it still showed up dolby ex instead of dolby true hd
BaronVH's Avatar BaronVH 03:35 PM 09-24-2007
I am still waiting on mine to come in. It is taking forever.
Tags: Vsx 92txh Elite Home Theater A V Receiver , Sony Bdp S1 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver , Yamaha Rx V995 Surround Receiver With Dolby Digital And Dts Decoding , Pioneer Elite Bdp 94hd Blu Ray Disc Player
1 2  3  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop