Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 3841 Old 12-16-2011, 05:41 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
^^
The 1st firmware update for the 2808CI dealt with some DTS HD-MA tracks playing back as DTS 5.1. Refer to the below post for more information.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15118003

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3841 Old 12-20-2011, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks and feels awesome. I have been a Yamaha fan for a loooong time.

Wanted to try Denon. Got this for $130! Could not say no!

My setup is:

2 Energy C-7 (Fronts)
1 Energy C-C1 (Center)
2 Energy C-R3 (Rears)
1 Energy 12 Subwoofer

2 Old Infiniti satellites (not connected, don't know what to do with them in this setup, yet)

Comcast Cable box (Motorola) via Component cables
Sony PS3 via HDMI
Pioneer DVR via component
Older [c. 2004-5] Samsung DLP 50" TV (1080i)
VanSevers Super Companion PLC

Have read some forums, manual and played with the remote. Sound is decent, not in awe yet (vol seems low)! Some questions:

1. Anything very basic I need to do first?
2. I have decided to keep all my main and surround speakers in the front (surrounds on top of the fronts , since I cannot drill holes in the back wall of my rented condo.
3. Have not run Audyssey yet (waiting for the Mic).
4. I noticed that the levels for the channels were at different #s: for example:
FL = -2.5 db
FR = -3.5 db
C = -1 db, and so forth.

Should I set these to the same #? And does it matter what # that is? And when I do that, shd I set the Vol knob to 0 db (max.)?

5. In the future, I want to add 3D capability. Will that mean primarily upgrading my TV, or can I pull it off without upgrading anything?

6. Networkable only thru' ipod 3N/W, correct? Can it ever play my media from my network drives?

Thank you all for contributing to this thread. It always amazes me when I see a thriving online community. Again, thank you. Happy Holidays and Season's Greetings.

Vick
post #3513 of 3841 Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 PM
585-645-1006

^^
1. Your unit is likely used so reset the microprocessor (p. 50) to return all settings to their factory defaults. Run AUTO SETUP when you get the Audyssey mic.
2. Can that idea and simply consider placing the surrounds on stands or just go with a 3.1 setup.
3. Run AUTO SETUP when you get the Audyssey mic.
4. If you haven't run AUTO SETUP yet, how can you have speaker levels set? Regardless, after running AUTO SETUP, you're free to adjust them to suit your preference, although there's no reason for them to be the same as they will be calibrated to a 75db test tone.
5. The 988 is only HDMI 1.3 so you will either need to upgrade to an HDMI 1.4 AVR or buy a dual HDMI 1.4 BDP.
6. Yes, with a wired connection to the AVR.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #3514 of 3841 Old 12-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
1. Your unit is likely used so reset the microprocessor (p. 50) to return all settings to their factory defaults. Run AUTO SETUP when you get the Audyssey mic.
2. Can that idea and simply consider placing the surrounds on stands or just go with a 3.1 setup.
3. Run AUTO SETUP when you get the Audyssey mic.
4. If you haven't run AUTO SETUP yet, how can you have speaker levels set? Regardless, after running AUTO SETUP, you're free to adjust them to suit your preference, although there's no reason for them to be the same as they will be calibrated to a 75db test tone.
5. The 988 is only HDMI 1.3 so you will either need to upgrade to an HDMI 1.4 AVR or buy a dual HDMI 1.4 BDP.
6. Yes, with a wired connection to the AVR.

JD,
Thank you for your QUICK response.

1. Ok, will reset (yes, my unit is used). Actually, I ran Auto SETUP using an old PC mic just to see. No noticeable difference in sound though.
2. With a 3.1, I guess I will be losing quite a bit of action in movies, yes? I will consider stands.
3. OK, mic is on its way from Hong Kong!
4. See pt. 3.
5. I will probably consider a BDP with Dual HDMI when I am ready. I think I can connect my PS3 with HDMI to TV, component + Optical to AVR but I guess I cannot get any more than 5.1 on optical (and probably no HD audio like in TrueHD)?
6. Sorry, do not understand what you mean by a "Wired" connection. There is no RJ45 on the 988. Do you mean ipod dock ASW-3N, and then use ipod to navigate my network? I do not have an ipod to begin with!
post #3515 of 3841 Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyFan View Post

3. OK, mic is on its way from Hong Kong!
5. I will probably consider a BDP with Dual HDMI when I am ready. I think I can connect my PS3 with HDMI to TV, component + Optical to AVR but I guess I cannot get any more than 5.1 on optical (and probably no HD audio like in TrueHD)?
6. Sorry, do not understand what you mean by a "Wired" connection. There is no RJ45 on the 988. Do you mean ipod dock ASW-3N, and then use ipod to navigate my network? I do not have an ipod to begin with!

3. The Hong Kong mics are generally knock offs, so not likely to provide good results. You're much better served ordering from a US distributor or better yet from a Denon authorized parts distributor.
5. Correct.
6. Should have said "cabled" (eg. HDMI) connection like with any other input source or passing the network audio via a PS3 media server.

post #3516 of 3841 Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 AM

When I hook up the pre-out to an external amplifier attached to an in-wall subwoofer, I get no output. I have A/B'ed the external amplifier and subwoofer and each is working, including bridged mode on the amplifier. I have gone through the speaker/sub configuration menus that I am aware of, and still no joy. Any other suggestions on where I might look, or whether I should be connecting elsewhere (I'm using the "SW" pre-out with the white painted square around it on the rear panel). I've not heard of any issues regarding failure of the subwoofer channel, but I'm not the original owner, so...
post #3517 of 3841 Old 01-02-2012, 08:07 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post

When I hook up the pre-out to an external amplifier attached to an in-wall subwoofer, I get no output. I have A/B'ed the external amplifier and subwoofer and each is working, including bridged mode on the amplifier. I have gone through the speaker/sub configuration menus that I am aware of, and still no joy. Any other suggestions on where I might look, or whether I should be connecting elsewhere (I'm using the "SW" pre-out with the white painted square around it on the rear panel). I've not heard of any issues regarding failure of the subwoofer channel, but I'm not the original owner, so...

How are you testing it connected to the amp? With music? Do you have any THX movies? They usually have a THX Optimizer in the menu that should have test tones for each channel. Have you run the Audyssey setup yet? It will also test subwoofer output. Since you bought it used, did it come with a little tower microphone with a 25 foot cord?

post #3518 of 3841 Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 PM

I have connected it both directly to each individual channel, and in bridged mode (as stated before, I confirmed the amp/sub function with a different source). I have only used the unit with a samsung bluray player, an Apple TV, and a motorola digital DVR. I haven't run Audyssey yet, and no, it didn't come with a mic. Thanks.
post #3519 of 3841 Old 01-02-2012, 01:25 PM
585-645-1006

^^
You're going to have to purchase the DM-A405 (not the DM-A409) Audyssey mic (either from US based eBay distributor or perhaps from one of Denon's authorized parts distributors) in order to run AUTO SETUP and enable Audyssey MultEQ XT. Otherwise, ensure the sub is not set to NO in the AVR's menu setup.

post #3520 of 3841 Old 01-02-2012, 04:04 PM

Thanks, will do, and BTW I did the microprocessor reset. No joy.
post #3521 of 3841 Old 01-02-2012, 04:53 PM
585-645-1006

^^
I wouldn't bother buying an Audyssey mic until you can resolve the sub issue. Ensure all speakers are manually set to SMALL with minimum of 80hz crossovers. When playing a test BD, ensure that the front panel display reads either DD or DTS or Mult CH IN.

post #3522 of 3841 Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 PM

Thanks again, I will try a BD. Any recommendation for titles? I already set the fronts to small, but didn't think to check the other channels. BTW, I have Speakercraft 8.3 MTs in the front, an LCR 1 for the center, and AIM 8 ones for rears. My sub is a KEF 10" model connected to a 90W NAD stereo power amp (my room is small).
post #3523 of 3841 Old 01-03-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Since it wasn't clear above and no one else has asked, have you tried the speaker outs using the internal amp to confirm that they will put audio out? Reason I ask this is that I just had the same problem on mine and it turns out the digital board is no good, which means the only output I get using internal/external Amps is if I am using the multichannel analog inputs. No digital inputs will work and pass audio out as they all go through the D/A process. No other analog inputs work besides the multi-in. Your sub preout should be fine and should work with the other pre-outs.
post #3524 of 3841 Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Underling,

I'm sorry I'm a bit thick on what you're suggesting. I think what you're asking is whether I have tried putting a signal for the sub into the external sub "in" and seeing if I then get output at the subwoofer pre-out. Is that correct? No, I haven't tried it, but if I can figure out how to hook up a source in this way, I will do so. If I've got it wrong, please let me know. Thanks for your thoughts.
post #3525 of 3841 Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 AM

Underling,

Also, how did you determine your board was bad? Could it be repaired cost-effectively? Thanks.
post #3526 of 3841 Old 01-06-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:

Underling,

I'm sorry I'm a bit thick on what you're suggesting. I think what you're asking is whether I have tried putting a signal for the sub into the external sub "in" and seeing if I then get output at the subwoofer pre-out. Is that correct? No, I haven't tried it, but if I can figure out how to hook up a source in this way, I will do so. If I've got it wrong, please let me know. Thanks for your thoughts.

I had to take my machine in to the repair shop to have them determine what the issue was. I have not repaired it yet as it will cost around 350-400. I may still have it done, just is a little more than I want to spend on a unit that old.

What I was asking in my post above is for you to eliminate the external amp from the setup. Start with the most basic setup. Connect all your speakers to the denon directly. If you are using the HDMI input for audio, or the optical digital, or any of the analog (CD, Tape, Phono) inputs and you have no sound there is a good possibility that the digital board may be shot. If you then connect your source to the multi 5.1 inputs and you have audio, then it is likely the digital board for sure.

If on the other hand you get audio out to all your speakers through the denon, and you arent getting audio through the external amp then your problem will likely be settings. Your Sub should work either way through the multichannel preouts.

Tyron
post #3527 of 3841 Old 01-15-2012, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know if there is a way to mute the speakers but keep the preouts unmuted? I have an extra surround headset I'm trying to hook up to the back of it, and can't think of any ideas.

Thanks in advance!
-Erik
post #3528 of 3841 Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 AM
585-645-1006

^^
You could just use a headphone splitter cable ...

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YPP118-Du...6718623&sr=8-1

post #3529 of 3841 Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

^^
You could just use a headphone splitter cable ...

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YPP118-Du...6718623&sr=8-1

It is a surround headset that accepts PC style 5.1 connectors. I have the dual rca to female 3.5 adapters, but the pre-out volume matches the speakers. If it turns into a big deal, I can live with using a standard headphone, just figured it would be fun to have the surround

-Erik
post #3530 of 3841 Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 PM

I have spent the better part of a Sat. trying to replace my DVD player with a Blu Ray. I am only getting an audio signal from both HDMI ports (#1 & #2). Since I have the Midas Touch, the only thing I have managed to do is lose the video from direct tv. Now that is only audio as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #3531 of 3841 Old 01-22-2012, 08:20 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Connecting an HDMI device should be plug-n-play ... so it could be the HDMI board on the AVR has gone bad. There are a few things you can do to confirm .... check to ensure the HDMI device plays correctly when connected to the TV and try replacing the cables if you have any spare HDMI cables. If still no joy, then reset the AVR's microprocessor (p. 50 in Owner's manua).

post #3532 of 3841 Old 02-12-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:

As promised, I am providing some additional helpful instructions to assist in the installation of the 2808/988 firmware update dated 02/08. Refer to this post for obtaining both 2808/988 updates.

1. I have an older Toshiba laptop which does not have a serial port so I ordered a generic USB-to-Serial DB9 off the internet from here for $10. The posts on the serial DB9 end do not twist off, so I had to pull them off with a pair of pliers as the posts on the Denon serial jack cannot be removed. This particular cable is only 18" in length which was fine for me, however, it might be easier with a longer (e.g. 3' cable) depending on your own setup. Upon receipt of the cable I hooked it up to the Denon. My WIN XP OS recognized it as new hardware, however, initially I was not able to find a driver for it on my Toshiba installation/driver CDs, although I did find a reference on the internet that for WIN XP a driver was not needed (even though my OS indicated the hardware might not work properly). I let it go and figured I would try it anyway without a driver.
2. Once the update was received, I downloaded the attachment to my laptop.
3. I clicked on the firmware update folder. There are 3 files in the folder of which I used two, the PDF file (instructions) and the zipped setup file.
4. Open the PDF file to review the instructions. At the bottom of the file, it shows how to look at the configuration file to see what the current software version is. The picture in the file shows what it will look like after the update, however, you might want to write down what the original version setting is.
5. Open the zipped setup file to install the software onto my laptop.
6. Click on the icon placed on the desktop to start the firmware software. A popup is displayed which allows you to check the various COM ports to determine which one works. None of them worked except COM3 so I selected that and clicked on the Update button. It ran for a few minutes before coming up with a communication error. In the instructions it gives you an alternate procedure if the first one fails. I tried this and it failed as well.
7. Since the error was a communication error, I went back to the internet and looked for a USB-to-Serial driver and downloaded this one (PL2303), which worked successfully for me although it indicated it was installed using COM8 which is what I selected when I ran the procedure again (rather than COM3).
8. I repeated the update procedure starting from the beginning and it worked successfully this time, taking about 25 minutes for the update to complete.
9. I received a "Update complete" popup and upon running the configuration file, found it to read the same as listed in the PDF instructions.

Firmware update changes:
1. The "Cars" BD disc has a Dolby TrueHD 6.1 soundtrack, however the display read and playback only HD 5.1 - this is corrected.
2. The 'New Line' titles with dts-HD Master 7.1 tracks are played back in PCM 7.1 however the display only shows dts Surround 5.1 - this is corrected. It will show dts-HD MA 7.1.
3. Intermittent IR operation of certain commands through the Room to Room back panel jacks - this is corrected.

NOTE: So unless you have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup or are having IR operation problems, this firmware update is not necessary.

Hi jdsmoothie, I just stumbled upon this thread Googling, I know this is an old post but I've been having some audio issues with some BD titles, I have a Sony s570, 2808ci, with 5.1 speakers. I get loud scratching sounds that almost sounds like it's damaging my speakers, and sometimes audio cuts out. Wonder if I should contact Denon or is the firmware still available? Thanks in advanced.
post #3533 of 3841 Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The firmware is still available. Simply PM me with a non gmail email address.

post #3534 of 3841 Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the opportunity to get the 2808ci for $250, should I hop on this ASAP? I was looking to get Some more wattage for more headroom currently I am running a integra dtr-5.3 and using my htpc 6 channel out for dts-hd and Dolby true hd using arcsoft tmt

I have paradigm studio 60 v2 left and rights, a paradigm cc370 center, jbl control 5 speakers for surrounds ( they didn't have the matching surrounds when I bought the paradigms in a set used) and a outlaw audio lfm-1 plus subwoofer

Just wondering if I am going to see a vast improvement over what I have for my receiver, including the audyssey stuff
post #3535 of 3841 Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
I honestly doubt you are going to see a difference in "wattage". The biggest difference will be the hdmi audio and Audyssey MultEQ XT calibration software, but those are useless to you unless you are willing to upgrade to a PC card with hdmi output as multich analog will bypass digital processing.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3536 of 3841 Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh HDMI audio is covered, right now it has a GTX 470, I also have a AMD 6950 I pulled from it (the GTX 470 looked cleaner on the DLP set I am using for the time being for some strange reason).

The soundcard I am using right now is a Creative X-Fi Titanium for the multi channel out.

Someone had suggested to look in to a lower end receiver and then an Emotiva XPA-5. But in my situation where I have been using a HTPC for everything for close to 10 years now I wonder if I really need a receiver at all. The HTPC does all the Pre/Pro stuff for the most part.

But then again I look at the retail / sale price of some receivers, and find good deals on some used ones and the temptation is too much
post #3537 of 3841 Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well with your current setup you basically are just using the receiver as an amplifier. The multich analog inputs essentially just go straight to the amps.

So since you have hdmi output from the pc, swapping to the 2808 will give you advanced room correction software. This could be a big benefit depending how bad your room acoustics are.

Again I doubt you will hear any big difference in raw amp power, but I suspect that's not really an issue anyway.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3538 of 3841 Old 02-21-2012, 03:24 PM

Haven't had to update firmware, but it may be needed for this problem. I went to Denon USA's website, and it doesn't even list my product.

I have two channel input from DVD-A's or SACD's. This is verified on left side of display. However, I can only get multichannel output in FR and FL. When I select DIRECT or STEREO modes, all I hear is the SW output. When I go back to multichannel, I get sound from the front speakers, so the problem seems to be in the preamp section. I will test that with another amp this evening by connecting to to the PRE OUT jacks. The input is set at digital and HDMI, and, as I said above, displays 2-CH input.
post #3539 of 3841 Old 02-21-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

what is AMP ASSIGN set to? and does it happen for ANY source where you use STEREO/DIRECT listening modes?

most of the time what you describe is because the user has incorrectly set AMP ASSIGN to the "2ch" setting.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3540 of 3841 Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

has anyone got a hold of the service manual for the AVR-2808CI yet? I ordered one used off amazon and it got destroyed in shipment. FedEx swears it isn't broken even with pictures and videos showing it is. I finally got a refund and am workign on trying to repair it now. I gave in and later bought a used AVR-3808CI and have been enjoying the hell out it... but the broken receiver is just as interesting to me as it is a puzzle that must be solved.

The volume knob basically got punched in completely breaking the FLD-unit board behind it. the unit will not power on at all. I worked on gluing the board back togetherfirst and then re-wiring all the worken traces I could see on this board. Haven't had any luck yet but I am going to go back over it again make sure I didn't miss something on the front panel board. Could be something else messed up somewhere else like the power supply.

here is the full autopsy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BDgDKg35IU

I'll post pics of the repairs done so far when I get a chance.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page