Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3822 Old 11-25-2007, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I'm thinking of upgrading my 3801 to the 2808ci and have some questions. I have a Tosahiba HDA2 and a Pany BD10A and am running a standard 5.1 rig. I have the A2 connected vial optical and the 10A connected with 3 sets of RCA's into the ext. in to get the PCM and trueHD; here's my questions:

If I upgrade and connect the Pany 10A via HDMI will I still be able to get the uncompressed PCM? If so does the receiver just get set to PCM for that? If I have the A2 and 10A connected via HDMI can I still watch movies just using the sound from the TV or do I have to have the 5.1 on when watching movies? Is setting up similar to the 3801? Can I set the 2808 to "auto" so it will auto detect PCM. DTSHD, TrueHD, etc.?

much thanks for any help/info

I believe the answer to all of the above is "yes".

Note that the 2808CI, when set to decode bitstream, automatically recognizes PCM input and either decodes the bitstream or switches to PCM when appropriate. So claims the manual and so it works for me.

Of course if you hook your BD10A directly to the TV you can watch (and listen to) TV without the 2808CI being powered on. If you have a nice surround system I don't know why you would want to do this. You can also connect the BD10A to the 2808CI via HDMI and let the 2808CI route both audio and video to the TV. Again, I don't see why this would be wanted but apparently Denon thinks there could be a good reason because the 2808CI has the option of doing so.

rcp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3822 Old 11-25-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsen View Post

I believe the answer to all of the above is "yes".

Note that the 2808CI, when set to decode bitstream, automatically recognizes PCM input and either decodes the bitstream or switches to PCM when appropriate. So claims the manual and so it works for me.

Of course if you hook your BD10A directly to the TV you can watch (and listen to) TV without the 2808CI being powered on. If you have a nice surround system I don't know why you would want to do this. You can also connect the BD10A to the 2808CI via HDMI and let the 2808CI route both audio and video to the TV. Again, I don't see why this would be wanted but apparently Denon thinks there could be a good reason because the 2808CI has the option of doing so.

rcp

Is there any PQ loss in running the 10A or A2 via HDMI thru the 2808 and then out to the TV? Can I still get the DTSHD, TrueHD, uncompressed PCM using coax or optical?

If I'm watching something late and dont want the HT on I just use TV volume which is why I asked about having the HT off but TV volume on when running through the 2808.

Another memeber mentioned that the 2808 would not be an upgrade from the 3801 can anyone else comment on the differences between these as far as SQ, DAC, processor or whatever? I can't afford the 4??? and don't want waste money on this move if it wont be a big difference.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #363 of 3822 Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

If I'm watching something late and dont want the HT on I just use TV volume which is why I asked about having the HT off but TV volume on when running through the 2808.

I see two ways to do this:

1)
HDA2 --> (via HDMI) --> 2808CI --> (via HDMI) -->TV
Run menu->manual-setup in 2808CI to switch audio out from AMP to TV when desired.

2)
HDA2 --> (via HDMI) --> 2808CI --> (via HDMI) -->TV, as above and ...
HDA2 --> (via component) --> TV
Switch HDA2's output and TV's input choices when desired.

Number 1 might be more convenient as there is only one place to change the configuration each time and it can be done via the remote. (With my BD-P1200 Blu-ray I would need to push a button on the front of the player tio switch its output from HDMI to component or back again.)

Quote:
Another memeber mentioned that the 2808 would not be an upgrade from the 3801 ...

I wouldn't say that. The 3801 does not have HDMI nor does it support the newer Blu-ray and HD-DVD audio decoders (i.e. Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio). It doesn't have the automated Audyssey audio calibration. It is six year old technology (although it seems that it was a killer in its day).
post #364 of 3822 Old 11-25-2007, 01:54 PM

I'have just bought a very nice DENON 2808. Before I have had an old Yamaha.
I'have troubles to configure this receiver.

My connections and the result.
TV Panasonic Plasma 37PX70E (It has two HDMI , two scart, and component input).

1) LG DVD Recorder with Hard Disk (two scart and 1 HDMI output).
I have connected the HDMI into Denon Hdmi Input and assigned on DVR location the HDM1. I have assigned audio to amp (Result good. It works!).

2) DVD Panasonic
I have connected DVD using component output to component input of Denon 2808 and digital audio out to digital input of Denon 2808. I have spent a lot of time to assigne right connections but at the end the result is good. It works !.

3) Sat decoder (sky). It has only two scart but no other input. Not digital output.
I connected one of this scart (the one labeled to recorder) directly using scart cable to LG recorder, the second one using SVHS and Audio (stereo, left and right plugs) converter cable to Denon 2808.
This dosn't work. I can listen the audio but not seen images.
I spent a lot of time to re-assigne the input, but without result. (I can see the Sat Decoder only passing between DVR recorder. The Sat Is connected to recorder using scart).

4) DVT Digital terrestrial decoder. (One Scart and one toslink digital cable).
I connected cable toslink to audio and Scart output using SVHS conversion cable and audio cable to svhs and to audio input on my Denon 2808.
I spent a lot of time to configure system (assigne input and so on), but I can listen only audio and I cannot seen any video signal.

I have connected all output of my DENON (Hdmi, SVHS, Component) to my TV Plasma and I have checked using on TV not only AV input HDMI but also SVHS or Component because I have had the doubt that was not possible to convert one kind of input (for example SVHS to Hdmi). But the result is the same.

It seems that in all cases if I connect video using HDMI or Component cables it works (I have of course to specify the right input, but after this it works).
If I use SVHS input or composite input I cannot configure. It doesn't work.

Have you suggestions? Or is a SVHS of my model that doesn't work?

Thanks a lot for you help!!
post #365 of 3822 Old 11-25-2007, 07:27 PM

Liked: 14
Should your center channel volume level be the same as ur mains, the left and right speakers? any recommendations? also, im not one to experiment and take advantage of all the different features. am i missing out on anything by just leaving everything i listen to and play on pure direct? im old school and dont feel like messing with all the different formats. i mean u cant go wrong with leaving everything at pure direct can you?
post #366 of 3822 Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 PM

Hey group! I just bought the Denon AVR-988 today and I have to say "I LOVE IT"!! I had bought a Harmon Kardon 247 first yesterday....upgrading from an older denon without HDMI. BUT, after hours of frustration, poor video and sound quality, sparkles, dropping sound and video..i took it back. I went back to Denon...should have done that in the first place. Needless to say, as soon as I plugged it in...and clicked a few buttons, my receiver was up and running. Looks great, sounds phenomenol and the video is fantastic. Just watched 300 in HD and it was perfect!! Great receiver!

Denon AVR-988
RTi8(fronts)
CSi A6(Center)
RTi4(surrounds)
eD A2-300
PS3 160gb
post #367 of 3822 Old 11-26-2007, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylan View Post

Should your center channel volume level be the same as ur mains, the left and right speakers? any recommendations? also, im not one to experiment and take advantage of all the different features. am i missing out on anything by just leaving everything i listen to and play on pure direct? im old school and dont feel like messing with all the different formats. i mean u cant go wrong with leaving everything at pure direct can you?

You should have your front trio of speakers (L, R, C) at the same level so you have consistent sound with no channel overpowering another. As for listening in direct mode I prefer that especially when listening to music but for movies you should experiment with Audyssey and EQ settings. Bear in mind direct mode will switch off the sub output and direct all sound to the front speakers so depending on your speakers capabilities direct mode may not be the best option.
post #368 of 3822 Old 11-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Sy-

I have a question for those of you who have configured your system with the audyssey eq system. After I ran the setup i checked my settings and it is crossing my fronts at 120, my rears at 150, and my center at 110, then it says LFE at 80. Does this mean that the sub out is only outputting 0-80hz? and the fronts are outputting 120hz+? If so does that mena there is a hole on my setup between 80-120hz?
post #369 of 3822 Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy- View Post

Does this mean that the sub out is only outputting 0-80hz? and the fronts are outputting 120hz+? If so does that mena there is a hole on my setup between 80-120hz?

I have been wondering the same thing. After fiddling manually with the sub crossover in the 2808 I resorted back to raising the crossover up to 250hz and using the crossover that is built into my B&W sub. I could never get the a tight sounding sub when using the 2808's crossover. It always had a muddy sound to it.
post #370 of 3822 Old 11-26-2007, 05:55 PM

Hey guys, I love this receiver but I need a little advice on the settings. I used the Audessey and let it do it's thing...now, I only have a starting HT setup:

Polk Rti8's
Polk CSi3
VX-10 sub
no surrounds yet due to logistics i have to deal with.

After the Audessey, i don't get very good bass response. Mains are set at large at 40HZ, Center to small at 60 HZ and LFE at 80HZ.

That is the Audessey settings. these look very crazy. Should i set crossover at 80HZ and do I use LFE or LFE+ Main? I am definitely looking for better bass.

Thanks for any suggestions or opinions.

Denon AVR-988
RTi8(fronts)
CSi A6(Center)
RTi4(surrounds)
eD A2-300
PS3 160gb
post #371 of 3822 Old 11-26-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbd View Post

Hey guys, I love this receiver but I need a little advice on the settings. I used the Audessey and let it do it's thing...now, I only have a starting HT setup:

Polk Rti8's
Polk CSi3
VX-10 sub
no surrounds yet due to logistics i have to deal with.

After the Audessey, i don't get very good bass response. Mains are set at large at 40HZ, Center to small at 60 HZ and LFE at 80HZ.

That is the Audessey settings. these look very crazy. Should i set crossover at 80HZ and do I use LFE or LFE+ Main? I am definitely looking for better bass.

Thanks for any suggestions or opinions.

There is a whole thread on Audessy and much of it is about how it can affect bass. Many people do not like the results on the low end.

Your best bet is to set all your speakers to small and cross them over at 80Hz, Do not use LFE+main. Leave Audessy off with these settings and see how you it sounds
post #372 of 3822 Old 11-27-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

You should have your front trio of speakers (L, R, C) at the same level so you have consistent sound with no channel overpowering another. As for listening in direct mode I prefer that especially when listening to music but for movies you should experiment with Audyssey and EQ settings. Bear in mind direct mode will switch off the sub output and direct all sound to the front speakers so depending on your speakers capabilities direct mode may not be the best option.

oh i have bass, my subwoofer never stops. lol in the pure direct mode, believe me i have bass. my speakers are set to small.
post #373 of 3822 Old 11-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Hello all:
Can someone here summarize the differences between the AVR-2808CI and the AVR-3808CI. I need to determine if it is worth the extra money for the 3808. Also I assume both have the D-Dock function? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me on this.
post #374 of 3822 Old 11-27-2007, 09:09 PM

Anyone have any problems with setting the remote to work with the SA8300HD cable box? Trying to get all my components set up with this remote. Thanks!

Denon AVR-988
RTi8(fronts)
CSi A6(Center)
RTi4(surrounds)
eD A2-300
PS3 160gb
post #375 of 3822 Old 11-29-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ok - i've read and reread articles and I"m STILL confused. I have a PS3 hooked up via HDMI 1.3 cat 2 to my Denon 2808 receiver that decodes the HD stuff. My PS3 is currently set up to send audio LPCM - after reading articles I see to keep it at PCM but then I read depending upon the bitrate etc to select Bitstream (though if i select bitstream i get the pop-up saying I'll lose some audio quality by switching). Should it be always set at LPCM since I have a decent receiver or should i change it to Bitstream (I also have my HD-A2 setup as PCM too and i'm confused about that too)..bueller? bueller? (and after all this is Dolby True HD better than going w/5.1 lossless PCM on BD's like i think i came across when watching "I Know Who Killed Me"?) [Horrible movie BTW]

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #376 of 3822 Old 11-29-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Ok - i've read and reread articles and I"m STILL confused. I have a PS3 hooked up via HDMI 1.3 cat 2 to my Denon 2808 receiver that decodes the HD stuff. My PS3 is currently set up to send audio LPCM - after reading articles I see to keep it at PCM but then I read depending upon the bitrate etc to select Bitstream (though if i select bitstream i get the pop-up saying I'll lose some audio quality by switching). Should it be always set at LPCM since I have a decent receiver or should i change it to Bitstream (I also have my HD-A2 setup as PCM too and i'm confused about that too)..bueller? bueller? (and after all this is Dolby True HD better than going w/5.1 lossless PCM on BD's like i think i came across when watching "I Know Who Killed Me"?) [Horrible movie BTW]

PS3 should be set to LPCM. Though the Denon CAN decode trueHD send as bitstream, the PS3 CANNOT send it as bitstream (only the very newest players can and there are downsides to doing so....very confusing I know) The A2 should probably he set to AUTO. It is smart enough to send regular DD and DTS from standard DVD's using bitstream, and send TrueHD and DD+ as LPCM.

The ONLY exception is on the PS3 with BD movies using DTS MA. For those, change it to bitstream. Since the PS3 can neither decode it, nor send it as LPCM, you will only be able to get the DTS 1.5 m/b core soundtrack. Basically the same as the best quality regular DTS. The reason I say use bitstream for this is that some DTS MA discs are 6.1 and it seems that the PS3 can only send 5.1 DTS core over LPCM.
post #377 of 3822 Old 11-29-2007, 09:35 PM

im really not finding a way to employ my center channel for music cds. on my yamaha, i could hit the effect button and i used it all the time. center channel was lead vocal along with the left and right mains. all i seem to be able to get out of this Denon is either two channel stereo or that 5.1 processed stereo which i really dont want. anyone help with this please?
post #378 of 3822 Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I used to own a Yamaha. I found it far exceeded any other vendor in supported proprietary DSP modes. Its unlikely you will find these kinds of DSP modes on other AVRs.
post #379 of 3822 Old 11-30-2007, 12:39 AM

Friends,

Recently I procured Denon 2808 with the hope that it will upscale my vidoe signals. But I am not able to get it to work. Kindly correct my assumption:

1. My input from Dish is via composite video and my out from Denon is Component to my projector. But my projector keeps showing it as 480i. Why is the upscale not happenning?

I had set i/p scaler to A to H
resolution to 1080i

My projector is native 576p and can take upto 1080i on Component & DVI.

please help. Do you think my equipment is having a problem?

The lengh between my projector and denon is 25 ft.

Thanks for your help

VAR
post #380 of 3822 Old 11-30-2007, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylan View Post

im really not finding a way to employ my center channel for music cds. on my yamaha, i could hit the effect button and i used it all the time. center channel was lead vocal along with the left and right mains. all i seem to be able to get out of this Denon is either two channel stereo or that 5.1 processed stereo which i really dont want. anyone help with this please?

The 2808 like other Denon models does have 5 channel stereo (or 7 if you have more speakers hooked to it) where all speakers pump out - i use that most of the time when i'm listening to music.

post #381 of 3822 Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakkasouth View Post

Friends,

Recently I procured Denon 2808 with the hope that it will upscale my vidoe signals. But I am not able to get it to work. Kindly correct my assumption:

1. My input from Dish is via composite video and my out from Denon is Component to my projector. But my projector keeps showing it as 480i. Why is the upscale not happenning?

I had set i/p scaler to A to H
resolution to 1080i

My projector is native 576p and can take upto 1080i on Component & DVI.

please help. Do you think my equipment is having a problem?

The lengh between my projector and denon is 25 ft.

Thanks for your help

VAR

Check the 2808 manual - i'm at work so i can't but i believe upscaling only occurs w/HDMI input. "maybe" component but i'm 99/9% sure NOT with composite input.

post #382 of 3822 Old 11-30-2007, 09:17 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:

Friends,

VAR

The 2808 will only upscale a 480i signal via "component cables." However, keep in mind that the upscaled 480i video will not even come close to looking like a native 1080i signal. Your best bet is to just upgrade to the Dish HD receiver/DVR. Native HD is incredible!

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #383 of 3822 Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Check the 2808 manual - i'm at work so i can't but i believe upscaling only occurs w/HDMI input. "maybe" component but i'm 99/9% sure NOT with composite input.

Wryker - Thanks for the response.

I spoke to Denon - This is the clarification:

'AVR 2808 upscales all inputs only via the HDMI output. So any type of video input (except HDMI) is upscaled and upconverted (both should be ON) and depending upon the output monitor the image is upscaled through the HDMI port. Ofcourse if the input is already HDMI, it is passed through'

Rgds
AVR
post #384 of 3822 Old 11-30-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

'AVR 2808 upscales all inputs only via the HDMI output. So any type of video input (except HDMI) is upscaled and upconverted (both should be ON) and depending upon the output monitor the image is upscaled through the HDMI port. Ofcourse if the input is already HDMI, it is passed through'

Rgds
AVR

I do disagree w/some part of what they told you: I have my cable hooked through the 2808 w/HDMI from the HDTivo to the receiver and output via HDMI - it does NOT upconvert to 1080p (which my TV supports) and i have the upconvert set to "on" (only available from one menu section - not but input). My TV (Mitsy WD-73833) displays 1080p but ESPN HD comes through at 1080i as the other cable HD stations - the Denon does not upscale it to 1080p. My PS3 (even regular DVDS) also through HDMI input and output DOES do 1080p but, at this time, I don't remember what my Toshiba HD-A2 outputs at (also HDMI into the receiver and out via HDMI) but i believe that also remains at 1080i.

post #385 of 3822 Old 11-30-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:

AVR. The choices for "i/p scaling" are not "ON" vs. "OFF" but: "A to H" vs. "OFF". The manual is not clear on this point but "A to H" means "Analog to HDMI". The 3808CI (one step up from the 2808CI) has an additional choice (so I hear) of "H to H".

Took me a while to figure that out. So yes, the manual could use some "clarification".

rcp
post #386 of 3822 Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:

I do disagree w/some part of what they told you: I have my cable hooked through the 2808 w/HDMI from the HDTivo to the receiver and output via HDMI - it does NOT upconvert to 1080p (which my TV supports) and i have the upconvert set to "on" (only available from one menu section - not but input). My TV (Mitsy WD-73833) displays 1080p but ESPN HD comes through at 1080i as the other cable HD stations - the Denon does not upscale it to 1080p. My PS3 (even regular DVDS) also through HDMI input and output DOES do 1080p but, at this time, I don't remember what my Toshiba HD-A2 outputs at (also HDMI into the receiver and out via HDMI) but i believe that also remains at 1080i.

The 2808 does not upscale a video signal received via HDMI. As the Denon rep indicated, the 2808 will only upscale an "analog" signal so the 1080i "digital" signal you are passing via the HDMI cable is simply passed through to your Mitsy. You have the PS3 set to upscale to 1080p so again, this signal is simply passed through to your Mitsy.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #387 of 3822 Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsen View Post

AVR. The choices for "i/p scaling" are not "ON" vs. "OFF" but: "A to H" vs. "OFF". The manual is not clear on this point but "A to H" means "Analog to HDMI". The 3808CI (one step up from the 2808CI) has an additional choice (so I hear) of "H to H".

Took me a while to figure that out. So yes, the manual could use some "clarification".

rcp

RCP - I spoke to Denon and gave him an earful. I told him to refer to the technical support team at Denon to refer to this site as well as trash the manual. For 1000 bucks this is a poor effort. I also told him that Denon should give atleast one video cable of 3 feet preferably HDMI. The current box misses the last mile..which is so important.

Wryker - As I mentioned, the 2808 passes pure HDMI signals in the same form. It can neither upconvert/downconvert or upscale.

Upconvert refers to moving signal to a different interface
Scaling refers to improving pixels i.e increasing resolution to 576p, 720p, 1080i orp

Hope this helps.

AVR
post #388 of 3822 Old 11-30-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

RCP - I spoke to Denon and gave him an earful. I told him to refer to the technical support team at Denon to refer to this site as well as trash the manual. For 1000 bucks this is a poor effort. I also told him that Denon should give atleast one video cable of 3 feet preferably HDMI. The current box misses the last mile..which is so important.

Wryker - As I mentioned, the 2808 passes pure HDMI signals in the same form. It can neither upconvert/downconvert or upscale.

Upconvert refers to moving signal to a different interface
Scaling refers to improving pixels i.e increasing resolution to 576p, 720p, 1080i orp

Hope this helps.

AVR

It does! I'll just keep it the way it is now but i'll move my PS2 and Wii from direct to my Mitsy to component input on the 2808 to get the upscaling.

post #389 of 3822 Old 11-30-2007, 10:23 PM

I just cant get my SACD and dvd-audio to work. I have a Pioneer dvd player that has SACD and dvd-audio capability and i know what to do on the Pioneer, just cant get it to come out. any ideas of what to set the Denon to to get it to work? the pioneer plays cd ok, just not the high resoulution formats.
post #390 of 3822 Old 12-01-2007, 12:23 AM

I{m mewby After I run audyssey (I receive today my receiver), I put stereo and not hear anything, when I change to STD mode or DSP mode i have the sound, also how works Pure Direct

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page