The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread - Page 131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #3901 of 3912 Old 06-04-2016, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. The seller has said he had problems with it passing HDCP (?) protocols correctly so I'm probably not going to get it since I'm afraid I'll have those same problems with my sources. I'll probably end up just buying a budget new one. Thanks to all for the comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3912 Old 06-28-2016, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need Help - no audio output via HDMI/coax

I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me with some issues I'm having with a Denon AVR-2808CI that I just purchased. Though I bought it 2nd hand, it was a former floor model and was essentially in like new condition with all remotes, accessories, etc. It even came in the original box! Right now I have the AVR hooked up to a Denon-1930CI DVD player. I am using this system exclusively for audio, especially surround sound DVD-audio and SACD.

Essentially, I am having two issues here, both involving audio output:

1) I have tried to use both HDMI and Coaxial connections between the DVD player and the AVR but I am getting no sound either way. The receiver is clearly reading the signal, as all of the "correct" lights are coming up on the receiver display. For example, I popped in a DTS-CD and it immediately lit up the speaker configuration for 5.1 sound and said DTS-surround on the display. Similarly, when I popped in another disc with a DTS 96/24 stream, the "96/24" and "DTS" lights came on. However, no audio is coming through my speakers. Now, if I switch to the all-analog EXT-IN option, then I get full audio and it sounds great, but I still would like to make sure that I have full functionality with this receiver. I also really would like to use the HDMI connection to set up a Blu-Ray player so that I can play Blu-Ray audio discs.

2) My second issue involves the "Test tone" set-up function. When I tried to use the test tones, I also did not get any audio coming out of the speakers. The display correctly cycled through each speaker and allowed me to make db adjustments, but I could not hear a test tone. Could this issue be related somehow to my first one?

The frustrating part is that all my other connections work fine. Like I said, the Ext.In signal sounds great, so I can play SACDs and DVD-audios. I've also got a CD player and turntable hooked up and they both sound great. I really like the sound of this receiver, so I'm hoping someone can help me here!

(Apologies on the long post....)
post #3903 of 3912 Old 06-28-2016, 03:54 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10291 Post(s)
Liked: 4765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrerock71 View Post
I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me with some issues I'm having with a Denon AVR-2808CI that I just purchased. Though I bought it 2nd hand, it was a former floor model and was essentially in like new condition with all remotes, accessories, etc. It even came in the original box! Right now I have the AVR hooked up to a Denon-1930CI DVD player. I am using this system exclusively for audio, especially surround sound DVD-audio and SACD.

Essentially, I am having two issues here, both involving audio output:

1) I have tried to use both HDMI and Coaxial connections between the DVD player and the AVR but I am getting no sound either way. The receiver is clearly reading the signal, as all of the "correct" lights are coming up on the receiver display. For example, I popped in a DTS-CD and it immediately lit up the speaker configuration for 5.1 sound and said DTS-surround on the display. Similarly, when I popped in another disc with a DTS 96/24 stream, the "96/24" and "DTS" lights came on. However, no audio is coming through my speakers. Now, if I switch to the all-analog EXT-IN option, then I get full audio and it sounds great, but I still would like to make sure that I have full functionality with this receiver. I also really would like to use the HDMI connection to set up a Blu-Ray player so that I can play Blu-Ray audio discs.

2) My second issue involves the "Test tone" set-up function. When I tried to use the test tones, I also did not get any audio coming out of the speakers. The display correctly cycled through each speaker and allowed me to make db adjustments, but I could not hear a test tone. Could this issue be related somehow to my first one?

The frustrating part is that all my other connections work fine. Like I said, the Ext.In signal sounds great, so I can play SACDs and DVD-audios. I've also got a CD player and turntable hooked up and they both sound great. I really like the sound of this receiver, so I'm hoping someone can help me here!

(Apologies on the long post....)
Sounds like a defective HDMI board. Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 50 Owner's manual) a few times and if still no joy, get your money back.
ogrerock71 likes this.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, SVS, Oppo

Ask me how to get a FREE HEOS 1 HS2 wireless/Bluetooth speaker.
post #3904 of 3912 Old 06-29-2016, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the response. I tried a hard reset, like you recommended, but nothing changed. I'll try it a few more times and, if that doesn't work, I guess I'll be returning it.
post #3905 of 3912 Old 08-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 133
No Tone Sound Out of Some of The Speakers

As the title says...
I have the air conditioner on, and it overloads the breaker _ that same breaker also is running the AVR setup and of course the breaker "trips". (It's an old house and every year I turn on the Air Con for the first time, I forget about the breaker problem)
Can a sudden loss of power to the AVR 988 cause some of the speakers to not output any sound ?

I'm going to reset the processor, but I hate doing that and relearning how to set everything up again.

Fuses are fine in the speakers...

Thanks !
post #3906 of 3912 Old 08-15-2016, 01:47 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
As the title says...
I have the air conditioner on, and it overloads the breaker _ that same breaker also is running the AVR setup and of course the breaker "trips". (It's an old house and every year I turn on the Air Con for the first time, I forget about the breaker problem)
Can a sudden loss of power to the AVR 988 cause some of the speakers to not output any sound ?

I'm going to reset the processor, but I hate doing that and relearning how to set everything up again.

Fuses are fine in the speakers...

Thanks !
Before doing a reset, I'd swap some speakers around to see if your speakers haven't been blown.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, SVS, Oppo

post #3907 of 3912 Old 08-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Before doing a reset, I'd swap some speakers around to see if your speakers haven't been blown.
Thanks for that, looks like I'll be doing a reset.
I'll take my ohm meter to my speakers and check that way, I'm too lazy to move them around.
They should be at 4 ohm's.
They're all Magnepan's except for the sub of course.
post #3908 of 3912 Old 08-15-2016, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The AVR is quite finicky, I did a processor reset and the SBL speaker still wasn't working doing the tone test, so I cranked it up to it's max volume and then it suddenly started working _ I could then put at 2.5 Decibels where I had it before.

Even the computer wasn't behaving, the left front surround didn't work until I reset the "Sound" in the control panel to default.
I also have to be carful on how to turn things on, the computer has to be on first, then the AVR, Sub, center output amp and finally the projector.

Please look at this screen shot, is there any difference in sound quality choosing 16 bit/24 bit, 44100, 48000, 96000 Hz etc. ???
Depending on which one I choose, the sound in the control panel doesn't always work doing the Windows tone test.
Thanks !

post #3909 of 3912 Old 08-17-2016, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Jeff leave it at the maximum 24bit 192khz and ser your software to bitstream the audio. The PC will send untouched signal to the Receiver to be processed.

Enviado de meu SM-N910C usando Tapatalk
post #3910 of 3912 Old 09-04-2016, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

I did a search and nothing came up, what does the "Distance" setting do to the volume of each speaker ?
Does it raise or lower the volume according to the distance set and if it does, what do we need channel level for ?

eg,: If I set the centre channel level to +12db (max setting) will setting the distance at 6 feet make it louder as apposed to 12 feet ?

Thanks.
post #3911 of 3912 Old 09-05-2016, 02:22 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
I did a search and nothing came up, what does the "Distance" setting do to the volume of each speaker ?
Does it raise or lower the volume according to the distance set and if it does, what do we need channel level for ?

eg,: If I set the centre channel level to +12db (max setting) will setting the distance at 6 feet make it louder as apposed to 12 feet ?

Thanks.
Distance accounts for the delay of the signal (eg. the distance for a subwoofer is generally much longer than the "actual" distance as it accounts for the filters in the sub which cause a delay in the signal).
JeffR1 likes this.

------------

post #3912 of 3912 Old 09-05-2016, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have two Denons in the same room, and have changed the 2808CI to "Amp 2", and set the RC Setup on the remote control..

Everything there works great .. volume/power, speaker, etc..

Now, I want to turn Zone 2 on from the small zone 2/3 remote... However nothing seems to happen on the reciever. IF the main zone is one, it just shows the AMP 2, but nothing happens. I know the zone 2 is assigned in amp assign, and I can physically turn it on from the front of the unit.

Is there an equiquvalent to RC setup that needs to be done on the Zone 2 remote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page