AVS Forum banner
563K views 4K replies 624 participants last post by  Nobre40 
#1 ·
I just wanted to start a thread for all owners of the Denon AVR-2808CI A/V receiver to post your impressions, useful information and a issues/resolutions for this unit. Mine will be arriving this week, and I'm sure there are others who will be receiving theirs soon or already have them up and running!

Here are some basic specs for anyone interested in purchasing one:

AVR-2808CI 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH Home Theater/MultiMedia A/V Receiver with Network Client Compatible D-dock Port
Quote:
The AVR-2808CI has been fortified with the latest A/V upgrades positioning itself to become one of the most popular audio video receivers in the industry, continuing on in its predecessor's footsteps. The AVR-2808CI now has HDMI v1.3a which brings with it the new surround formats for HD decoding allowing for ultimate surround performance for the best in home theater experience. Updated Audyssey audio processing has been added to provide improved auto calibration results for smooth sound reproduction. The well acclaimed Faroudja FLi2310 has been employed to allow for video scaling to 1080p resolution. Serial IR ports along with the RS-232C system control port provides ease of integration for complex home audio installations with 3rd party controllers. Couple this with the new EL remote and you have an A/V receiver sure to be a best seller.

* 110 watts x 7 channels

* Analog Video to HDMI Scaling - 1080p

* Rear Panel RS-232C

* XM ready tuning

* Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio

* New DDSC-HD processing

* Expanded HDMI v1.3a ports with Deep Color and xvYCC Support

* Digital to Analog conversion for multi-zone connection flexibility

* Assignable +12V D.C. triggers

* Comes with dual remotes

* 2-way remote capability with optional RC-7000CI remote

So, what do you think? How does this unit perform?

See less See more
#3,263 ·
Just got one of these thanks to a generous friend, it is replacing an old H/K AVR 225, I haven't really done any of the audio setup yet, but so far I am really liking it, the sound is much better than my old H/K and one thing I already like about it is it can switch between pro-logic and dolby digital on the optical input. Very nice for cable tv since not everything has a dolby digital signal. On my old H/K if you used the optical input it would either play in 2CH stereo or in 5.1 if there was a dolby digital signal so I had to use the analog input for the cable tv to get dolby prologic.

#3,266 ·
Thank you Bat,

9 screws and it's off. Found the blown fuse. Wil try to buy one at best buy.

Question #2----I have 6 pl89 speakers and klips center channel. Sony powered subwoofer. Why do I blow fuses when I play it loud? Note : I added external fan which helps some.

I like to play loud often. I was more worried about blowing speakers.

loud= +5 on volumn.

#3,269 ·
There's nothing wrong with the AVR or your speakers for that matter. The speakers are just VERY efficient and require only 1W of power to be louder than most folks would normally listen. By raising the volume beyond -20db or so you're not really increasing the loudness, rather only increasing the power required of the AVR. Set the Volume Limit setting to -20db or -10db and you shouldn't be blowing any more fuses.

#3,271 ·
Update,

Best Buy does not sell internal amp fuses at least that is what the worker said. He did direct me to an electronics supply. I had to go with a 8 or 15 amp or wait till the middle of next week for the 10amp I needed. Went with the 8amp and am up and running. Will really have to watch the volume I guess with the lower amp fuse.

We noticed my repair man had put a 9amp. Maby he did this because the 1st time I had trouble I burnt stuff and the repair was expensive. The electronics store doesn't sell 9amp fuses. Wonder if I should stick with the 8amp? The label on the Denon reads 10amp.

Thank you for the help.

Monty

#3,274 ·
denggenmei8372, JD is not talking about the price of fuses. My first repair cost me around 300$. That was with the factory 10 amp fuse. The last 2 times I simply blew fuses. The 2nd fuse I changed myself and was surprised to find a 9 amp (blown) in a slot labeled 10 amp. (Changes fuses is cheaper)

JD--I had no trouble at -5db as a max volume so I'm probably going to try that. haven't tried -5 with the 8 amp but it worked fine with the 9amp.It was more like +5 for about 3 seconds when I blew the 9 amp.

HAPPY hOLIDAYS!

Monty

#3,276 ·
I don't mean to sound stupid, I have had Denon AVR's for 10 years. Can someone tell me if the Audessey Calibration Channel Levels should be used for accurate sound, or should I set channel levels with my Radio Shack SPL Meter at 75db. Audessey has the subwoofer at 75db, but the other 6 channels are 2-4db low, and I have been adjusting for that to bring everything up to 75db. Is that correct procedure?

Also, when calibrating my Oppo speaker levels, I set all channel trims for EXT IN to zero, and then I use the DVD included with the Oppo to set channel trims. I am really not sure if this is common practice, or if there is a better way. How are the EXT IN channel trims designed to be used?

Can someone please clear this up for me? I have Denon AVR 2808!

#3,277 ·
^ Hi, these are not dumb, but indeed highly technical questions. The RS SPL meter is not more accurate than Audyssey, especially for the bass freqs.

Now, lets discuss why you are using Ext In and exactly what Oppo model are you speaking of.

#3,278 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind /forum/post/19713725

^ Hi, these are not dumb, but indeed highly technical questions. The RS SPL meter is not more accurate than Audyssey, especially for the bass freqs.

Now, lets discuss why you are using Ext In and exactly what Oppo model are you speaking of.

When running Auto Setup, does the volume control setting affect the outcome? 2-4db difference is a lot from Audessey to SPL Meter, subwoofer volume is the same with both, other six channels are way low.

I use EXT IN's with my Oppo 83SE for listening to MCH music. I have room treatments, and don't care for DSP altering of MCH music done by the Denon. I use 2 channel analog on the Denon for all 2 ch music sources. I only use Audessey/HDMI for BluRay movies and DVD movies!

#3,279 ·
Great, I just got one of those SE models yesterday, wow, just amazing 2 ch DACs! I am very interested in your experience with Denon, Audyssey and Oppo analog and have started a thread which touches on such matters here . I hope you will join us and report on your experiences. I have not played with analog MC yet but I seem to recall there are some quirky issues with LFE levels. I've have been told there is a guide here . The Oppo SE thread would probably also be a good place to post on this.

All settings in the AVR are ignored during autosetup.

#3,280 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind /forum/post/19713824

Oh, one more thing-AFAIK the autosetup derived ch levels do not apply to the Ext In inputs, they are pure passthru.

I know autosetup does not apply to the EXT IN, been using EXT IN for some time (channel levels on the Denon do affect the EXT IN), I set the ch levels on the Denon to 0 for EXT IN, and then set channel trims in the Oppo 83SE with the Oppo setup disc. I just thought that the autosetup routine set the channel levels to 75db for the Denon, obviously that is not the case. So that must mean that I am correct in setting channel levels to 75db after running Audessey Auto setup?

Can anyone else chime in on this?

#3,281 ·
I must apologize and correct myself, further searching on the 3808 thread yields this post from batpig which appears to indicate ch levels in the AVR do apply. MC analog is new ground for me so I welcome others' input as well and am interested in your procedures and results.

#3,282 ·

Quote:
I just thought that the autosetup routine set the channel levels to 75db for the Denon, obviously that is not the case.

no, on newer AVR's with Dynamic EQ the auto setup calibrates the reference level so that the speakers play 75dB with the test tones (master volume 0) but on most other receivers (including your 2808) the volumes just come out balanced relatively. So in all likelihood they are NOT going to come out at 75dB when you play the test tone.

Quote:
So that must mean that I am correct in setting channel levels to 75db after running Audessey Auto setup?

not necessarily, the Audyssey mic is still more accurate than your RS SPL meter. So let's say all your volumes are set to 72dB instead of 75dB... you can reset them to 75dB using the RS meter but it is likely that the relative balance is now less accurate. Even if you got them all perfect, the only difference would be that the volume dial is on a different number to achieve the same loudness.

Quote:
Audessey has the subwoofer at 75db, but the other 6 channels are 2-4db low, and I have been adjusting for that to bring everything up to 75db. Is that correct procedure?

the RS meter is notoriously poor for setting subwoofer volume. In all likelihood, they were balanced before and you now have the subwoofer 2-4dB too low.

if I were you, I would leave the trims where Audyssey set them.

Quote:
Also, when calibrating my Oppo speaker levels, I set all channel trims for EXT IN to zero, and then I use the DVD included with the Oppo to set channel trims. I am really not sure if this is common practice, or if there is a better way. How are the EXT IN channel trims designed to be used?

as noted above, channel trims in the AVR are active for the EXT IN inputs but nothing else is. So you can choose to either zero out the trims and set it all up in the Oppo, or use the Denon trims and leave them zeroed out in the Oppo. It doesn't matter which one you use as the end result is the same -- the speakers are all calibrated to the same volume.

#3,284 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/19717723

no, on newer AVR's with Dynamic EQ the auto setup calibrates the reference level so that the speakers play 75dB with the test tones (master volume 0) but on most other receivers (including your 2808) the volumes just come out balanced relatively. So in all likelihood they are NOT going to come out at 75dB when you play the test tone.

not necessarily, the Audyssey mic is still more accurate than your RS SPL meter. So let's say all your volumes are set to 72dB instead of 75dB... you can reset them to 75dB using the RS meter but it is likely that the relative balance is now less accurate. Even if you got them all perfect, the only difference would be that the volume dial is on a different number to achieve the same loudness.

the RS meter is notoriously poor for setting subwoofer volume. In all likelihood, they were balanced before and you now have the subwoofer 2-4dB too low.

if I were you, I would leave the trims where Audyssey set them.

as noted above, channel trims in the AVR are active for the EXT IN inputs but nothing else is. So you can choose to either zero out the trims and set it all up in the Oppo, or use the Denon trims and leave them zeroed out in the Oppo. It doesn't matter which one you use as the end result is the same -- the speakers are all calibrated to the same volume.

Batpig,

I have an Animode 8033 subwoofer equalizer put into my system before the last Audessey Autosetup. REW shows the subwoofer flat, so the test tones should be pretty accurate for the sub. I have not seen the other channels come out that low with Audessey after autosetup. My system just seems to have unbalanced channel levels now. My subwoofer after Autosetup was -4.5, L/RF +1.5. The last time I ran Autosetup the L/RF were +4.5. Isn't +4.5 louder than +1.5, or is the Master Volume coming into play with the test tones?

#3,285 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwobbrock
...Can someone tell me the correct PN for the Denon AVR-2808 microphone number?
It is listed on one of the first few pages of your OM, where all the included items and remote(s) are specified. DM-A405

#3,286 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind
It is listed on one of the first few pages of your OM, where all the included items and remote(s) are specified. DM-A405
SoundofMind,

The microphone pn is not in the manual, the remote pn's are listed though, page 5! I called Denon support this evening, and they said none of the microphone pn's are in the manuals. I was on hold for 15 minutes and he came back with the pn for AVR-988 which is the same DM-A405. I have too many Denon receivers, they have at least two different models of microphones.

Thank You, Good sound to you!

#3,287 ·
^ Oh, I thought the mic model # was listed in the OM. I have had a number of different Denon AVRs as well including a 988, which is a really fine unit. I have deleted my old manual so what I did was "search this thread" for "DM-A" and found jd's post on mics which gave the whole #. It is easier now as the mics are the same for all newer models, the DM-A409.

I am still interested in learning more from you about analog and what you end up doing about your levels. I may not end up using much MC analog but will for sure retain 2 ch with HT bypass.

Also, sorry, I was only referring to the mic model # and djwobbrock was asking for part #.

#3,290 ·

^ Oh, I thought the mic model # was listed in the OM. I have had a number of different Denon AVRs as well including a 988, which is a really fine unit. I have deleted my old manual so what I did was "search this thread" for "DM-A" and found jd's post on mics which gave the whole #. It is easier now as the mics are the same for all newer models, the DM-A409.

I am still interested in learning more from you about analog and what you end up doing about your levels. I may not end up using much MC analog but will for sure retain 2 ch with HT bypass.

SoundofMind,

I am giving up on MC analog listening. My room modes are still bad even with all of the bass traps that I added. I have a 15-20db peak(hump) between 20 - 40hz that won't go away, bass traps only work above 100hz, and subwoofer postion is limited to LF/RF corners. I spent two days trying all possible locations for my subwoofer, and the only thing that changed is where the hump moved to.

I was listening the 2ch analog from my Oppo 83se, in Pure Direct mode on the Denon, speakers small, sub on, LFE+Main, crossover 100hz. I thought it sounded pretty good, except low bass levels were too high, the 20-40hz. I purchased an Antimode 8033, and ran some graphs on REW. The sound was awesome, but the low bass was still too high. I did rerun Audessey Autosetup on the Denon 2808, and ran calibration to 75db with my RS SPL meter. After much reading on the Audessey and other forums, I decided to give Audessey another chance for , MCH & 2CH listening. My eyes are now opened, I have been reading too much on how the Oppo 83SE was for 2CH analog listeners only, so I have been trying to setup my listening room without using Audessey settings. Wroooong! I have had Denon receivers for ten years, and I have always used the RS SPL after running setup. Another big mistake. I am now using Audessey for all of my listening, HT, 2CH, MCH, and I am loving it. REW graphs opened my eyes. I did not know that Audessey affects the subwoofer as well as the other seven speakers. The combination of Audessey and the Antimode 8033, has made my bass fantastic, very tight, very pronounced, very dynamic, wow, wow. I did not know what Audessey MultiQ XT really did, and now I am listening to a much improved listening room. The Antimode with the 2808 and Audessey has given me the best sound ever in my room. I am using the Audessey settings from autosetup, even though my RS SPL does not have every channel level at 75db. An unbelievable difference for me. My new Hafler/Musical Concepts modded 2CH amp has a tubey sound to it. My M&K subs sound better than ever, they are vintage subs, and were good producing tight low bass, now with the Audessey/Antimode they are over the top with bass. I now have a fairly flat FR in my room, and with the Antimode set to flat, I have a nice house curve!

Unless you have a near accoustically perfect room, or full room treatments, analog listening can be a challenge to get good results.

I am a new fanboy of Denon Audessey MultiEQ XT and Antimode 8033!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.