post #721 of 3826 Old 03-30-2008, 12:02 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I know the 2808 supports Dolby TrueHD but, does it also support Dolby Digital Plus?

I also have one last concern dealing with my speaker power ratings vs the 2808 power ratings (as I don't fully understand these and there relationship). Do you need to match the power ratings exactly to be safe? My speakers are rated as followed: Paradigm Mini Monitors, ADP-170 surrounds, CC-170 center all rated with a maximum input power of 80 watts. My current Kenwood is a 100wx6ch receiver and I have never had a problem so will the 2808 at 110w be okay?

DD is 5.1 channel, while DD+ is 7.1 channel, so yes, the 2808 does support it.

If you cranked up the 2808 or your Kenwood for that matter to beyond the clipping (distortion) point (which generally occurs well before the dial reaches 10 .. say 5-6), you might blow out your speakers (although most likely they have a fuse protection built in which would prevent this). For normal listening (1-3) you should be fine even if you had a 200 watt AVR. It's actually much easier to blow your speakers with a lower rated amp, say 35 watts because you would need more power for the same amount of sound output of the 110 watt amp which would then blow the speaker. To get the most benefit out of your speakers you actuall want a receiver that is higher rated as it doesn't take as much power to drive the amp to perform at the level you desire.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3826 Old 03-30-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
In regards to the earlier discussions about the DAC's in the 2808, it is a burr brown chip, just not the better one on the 3808 and up.

Attached is the spec sheet

dsd1608.pdf 397.9267578125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dsd1608.pdf (397.9 KB, 2 views)
post #723 of 3826 Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question about upconverting component signal on Denon AVR-988 ?

Can you please help me as I must be doing something wrong here. According to the manual and this forum, AVR-988 supposed to be up-converting any analog signal up to 1080p, correct ?

Well, I think I don't have mine setup properly. Here is my issue:

1) I am connecting WII console via component (which is 480i/480p) and I am not getting any display whatsoever out of this Denon reciever. My main out to TV is HDMI so I am assuming this should work and I should get my WII signal upconverted to 1080p.I just don't know what settings should I be changing to achieve this - I must be doing something wrong. Help please !!!

2) If the above works, will all my input signals be then upconverted to 1080p or can I pick and choose based on the input source, i.e. my other inputs are all HDMI and there is one that is HD brodcast which is 1080i and that's what's currently is showing on the TV display. I am wondering if this will change to 1080p , if I choose to upconvert on Denon reciever ??? And if so, is there any harm in upconverting everything to 1080p.

3) How good is upconvering processor in AVR-988 - are there any comparisions available that can be refrenced ?

Thanks very much for your help!

Nikonowski
post #724 of 3826 Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonowski View Post

(1) According to the manual and this forum, AVR-988 supposed to be up-converting any analog signal up to 1080p, correct ?

(2) I am connecting WII console via component (which is 480i/480p) and I am not getting any display whatsoever out of this Denon reciever. My main out to TV is HDMI so I am assuming this should work and I should get my WII signal upconverted to 1080p.I just don't know what settings should I be changing to achieve this - I must be doing something wrong. Help please !!!

(3) If the above works, will all my input signals be then upconverted to 1080p or can I pick and choose based on the input source, i.e. my other inputs are all HDMI and there is one that is HD brodcast which is 1080i and that's what's currently is showing on the TV display. I am wondering if this will change to 1080p , if I choose to upconvert on Denon reciever ??? And if so, is there any harm in upconverting everything to 1080p.

(4) How good is upconvering processor in AVR-988 - are there any comparisions available that can be refrenced ?

(1) That's correct.
(2) Double check to make sure whatever INPUT source label (eg. DVD) you're using for the WII indicates Component as your input source.
(3) AFAIK all analog video input is converted to 1080p. All input via HDMI is just passed through, although if you have a 1080p HDTV everything is converted to 1080p regardless.
(4) In comparing the Denon's upscaling to my 1080p Panny, there's no real difference.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #725 of 3826 Old 03-31-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

(1) That's correct.
(2) Double check to make sure whatever INPUT source label (eg. DVD) you're using for the WII indicates Component as your input source.
(3) AFAIK all analog video input is converted to 1080p. All input via HDMI is just passed through, although if you have a 1080p HDTV everything is converted to 1080p regardless.
(4) In comparing the Denon's upscaling to my 1080p Panny, there's no real difference.

Thanks ! Regarding your answer to bullet #4 - I was under impression that the faroudja chipset is much better than any chipsets that are inlcuded in HDTV. By the way, I have 52" Bravia Sony XBR4 and it is great set, but I think that its upscaling capabilities would be less than Faroudja chips - am I wrong in assuming that ?

And also regarding #3 answer - are you saying that if I were to connect WII directly via component to Sony HDTV I would get 1080p upconversion from TV ? Hmm...I am not sure what i am doing wrong then, because that's the connection (WII via component into Sony Bravia HDTV) that I have now and when I press display on TV remote control, I get that WII is feeding the TV with signal @480i SD. Do I change the settings on TV to have it upconvert to 1080p ?

Thanks once again,

Nikonowski
post #726 of 3826 Old 03-31-2008, 10:48 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Thanks ! Regarding your answer to bullet #4 - I was under impression that the faroudja chipset is much better than any chipsets that are inlcuded in HDTV. By the way, I have 52" Bravia Sony XBR4 and it is great set, but I think that its upscaling capabilities would be less than Faroudja chips - am I wrong in assuming that ?

Not necessarily. I'm just telling you how it is compared to my Panny. I don't know about whether it would be better than your Sony. Also, due to ambient light and XBR settings, you may or may not see a difference. Only you can decide what you prefer.

Quote:

And also regarding #3 answer - are you saying that if I were to connect WII directly via component to Sony HDTV I would get 1080p upconversion from TV ?

Yes. What the remote is showing you is what is being fed in (eg. 480i); however, because you have a 1080p TV, EVERYTHING going in is displayed at 1080p as that's the only thing your set can display (the upconversion happens automatically by design).

post #727 of 3826 Old 03-31-2008, 12:02 PM

Question about the FM radio on the 2808ci.

I just programmed in all of my favorite stations and am looking for a way to have discrete buttons on my universal remote to go directly to stations rather than toggle through all of my presets.

For instance...
A1 is 107.1, A6 is 105.1. I want to be able to go to either of these stations directly without having to toggle through all of the stations in between.

I am using a Harmony 880 as my universal controller if this helps.

Thanks

ballenjr
post #728 of 3826 Old 03-31-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:

when I press display on TV remote control, I get that WII is feeding the TV with signal @480i SD.

If your Wii is outputting a 480i signal then you need to go into the Wii's settings and change it to "enhanced definition" which is 480p. It will improve the image quality over component a good deal IMO.

Go to the Wii settings menu - select screen - select TV resolution and make sure that "EDTV or HDTV - (480p)" is selected.

In the same "screens" setting menu you can make sure you have "Widescreen (16:9) selected.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #729 of 3826 Old 03-31-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Yes. What the remote is showing you is what is being fed in (eg. 480i); however, because you have a 1080p TV, EVERYTHING going in is displayed at 1080p as that's the only thing your set can display (the upconversion happens automatically by design).

OK - are you saying that when I press display on Sony TV remote, and it says 480i SD, it already unconverted to 1080p on the TV ??? Hmmm... I did not know that. Why is this happening, I cannot find a logic in such design. So why do we have pass through then ?? Sorry, but this design sounds pretty silly to me

I want to choose what signal to feed , either unconverted or native, I don't see benefit for TV to do the conversion. For example, what if I had a scaler and unconverted via that, would the TV upconverted again ??I am really puzzled by your statements. Also, what happens when I switch to non HD broadcast channel > Does it up convert as well , because I cannot see that at all.

Thanks!!
post #730 of 3826 Old 03-31-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

If your Wii is outputting a 480i signal then you need to go into the Wii's settings and change it to "enhanced definition" which is 480p. It will improve the image quality over component a good deal IMO.

Go to the Wii settings menu - select screen - select TV resolution and make sure that "EDTV or HDTV - (480p)" is selected.

In the same "screens" setting menu you can make sure you have "Widescreen (16:9) selected.

Thanks for the tip I will make sure I do that if I use component connection directly into TV but what I reall want to do is to feed that 480p signal via component into AVR-988 and then the Denon reciever will upconvert to 1080p

Regards,
Nikonowski
post #731 of 3826 Old 04-01-2008, 09:50 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

OK - are you saying that when I press display on Sony TV remote, and it says 480i SD, it already unconverted to 1080p on the TV ??? Hmmm... I did not know that. Why is this happening, I cannot find a logic in such design. So why do we have pass through then ?? Sorry, but this design sounds pretty silly to me

I want to choose what signal to feed , either unconverted or native, I don't see benefit for TV to do the conversion. For example, what if I had a scaler and unconverted via that, would the TV upconverted again ??I am really puzzled by your statements.
Thanks!!

That's correct. The remote display is showing what the "input" feed is to the TV (480i in this case). Your TV is a 1080p TV so the "output" to the display can ONLY be in 1080p. Pass through is used when you want something other than the TV to upscale to 1080i (e.g. satellite/cable box).

Anything less than 1080p sent to the TV will be upscaled to 1080p as, again. that is the only resolution your set was designed to display. Another example is when using a satellite/cable box. You have the choice of sending the native broadcast (480i. 480p, 720p, 1080i) directly to the TV to upscale to 1080p or you can set Native to OFF and let the box upscale to 1080i and the Sony would then upscale to 1080p.

One of the big reasons I purchased the 2808CI was for the analog to digital 1080p as I thought I could improve the PQ of the SD channels from DirecTV. However, I found out (under my viewing conditions) that the STB does just as good a job at upscaling as the Denon does. So now I connect HDMI from the STB to the TV and an optical cable from the STB to the 2808CI for the audio which I only use when watching movies.

Quote:

Also, what happens when I switch to non HD broadcast channel > Does it up convert as well , because I cannot see that at all.

Yes. However, keep in mind that "upscaling" SD (480i/480p) to 1080p won't give you an HD quality picture. It simply fills in the missing 1.5 million pixels (guessing actually) so you can expand the picture to fit your entire screen rather than having side bars if you don't like them.

post #732 of 3826 Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 AM

I'm thinking about buying the new Oppo DVD player because I'm not happy with PQ playing SD DVD's with a Panasonic BD30 . Before I do, I'd like to see if I can get more out of the BD30. I'm connecting using HDMI; what settings should I use in the 2808ci to improve picture quality?

Thanks!
post #733 of 3826 Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Thanks for the tip I will make sure I do that if I use component connection directly into TV but what I reall want to do is to feed that 480p signal via component into AVR-988 and then the Denon reciever will upconvert to 1080p

Regards,
Nikonowski

If you want a true HD picture quality, you'll need to get either the Xbox or PS3. Upscaling your Wii feed is just going to give you a bigger (not better quality) picture.

post #734 of 3826 Old 04-01-2008, 09:57 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonperk View Post

I'm thinking about buying the new Oppo DVD player because I'm not happy with PQ playing SD DVD's with a Panasonic BD30 . Before I do, I'd like to see if I can get more out of the BD30. I'm connecting using HDMI; what settings should I use in the 2808ci to improve picture quality?

Thanks!

Using an HDMI cable will only "pass through" whatever signal is sent to the 2808. Do you have a 720p or 1080p HDTV? Some viewers have noticed improvement if they set the DVD upscaler to only upscale to 720p and letting the TV do the rest. You'll have to use component cables out of the BD30 in order for the 2808CI to do the upscaling for you.

Also, I just read about recent firmware updates to the BD30. Have you installed them? The poster indicated some improvement in SD PQ after the installation.

post #735 of 3826 Old 04-01-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Using an HDMI cable will only "pass through" whatever signal is sent to the 2808. Do you have a 720p or 1080p HDTV? Some viewers have noticed improvement if they set the DVD upscaler to only upscale to 720p and letting the TV do the rest. You'll have to use component cables out of the BD30 in order for the 2808CI to do the upscaling for you.

Also, I just read about recent firmware updates to the BD30. Have you installed them? The poster indicated some improvement in SD PQ after the installation.

Yes my TV does 1080p, it's a Pioneer 5010.

I have installed the firmware update, but I installed it prior to watching any DVD's, so I can't say if PQ was improved.

So, the only way to have the 2808ci do upscaling is to use component cables? I suppose I could use both component and HDMI cables and switch between Blu ray and DVD on the Denon.

Do you think the upscaller in the 2808 is better/worse than the new Oppo?
post #736 of 3826 Old 04-01-2008, 12:05 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonperk View Post

Do you think the upscaller in the 2808 is better/worse than the new Oppo?

Perhaps an Oppo owner can answer that? I know one poster said his Oppo is sitting on the shelf as he prefers to use his PS3. Although in the end, it's going to be a personal decision as not everyone's eyesight is created equal. Personally I prefer to use my PS3 to upscale SD DVDs as there appears to be no real difference between it and the 2808. Although originally a selling point for me, the video upscaling aspect of the 2808 is basically a bust.

post #737 of 3826 Old 04-02-2008, 05:25 AM

[quote=jdsmoothie;13529051]Using an HDMI cable will only "pass through" whatever signal is sent to the 2808. Do you have a 720p or 1080p HDTV? Some viewers have noticed improvement if they set the DVD upscaler to only upscale to 720p and letting the TV do the rest. You'll have to use component cables out of the BD30 in order for the 2808CI to do the upscaling for you.QUOTE]

OK so I have an Oppo upconverting player that is set to output 720p signal into the AVR-988, however, I am using HDMI cable for that. Does this mean that my signal does not get upconverted to 1080p by Sony HDTV in this setup? When I press display on the Sony HDTV when playing Oppo , I do get 720p dignal info - but according to you, that's just what's being fed into AVR-988 a.k.a pass-through on HDMI cable. So if I am reading this correctly, the only way for Sony TV to upconvert to its native 1080p resolution is to feed my Oppo signal via component into AVR-988. Is that correct ? I am a bit confused here sorry The reason I want to use HDMI cables is that I get both video and audio on the same single connection.

Thanks,
Nikonowski
post #738 of 3826 Old 04-02-2008, 09:12 AM

Who(authorized) is selling the 2808 at the best price at this time?

Thanks
post #739 of 3826 Old 04-02-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

******dotcom. but you have to call them to get the price. later.
post #740 of 3826 Old 04-02-2008, 10:48 AM

******dotcom means... i am looking in buying one but want to know best price
post #741 of 3826 Old 04-02-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23 View Post

******dotcom. but you have to call them to get the price. later.

Not sure I get that one but looking at Denons web page they have 2 authorized refurb centers. I missed the Frys sale last week.

If anyone comes across a place that has new or refurb for a great price let me know please.

Thanks,
post #742 of 3826 Old 04-02-2008, 12:20 PM

Never mind, started calling around and found what I think is an excellent price for 6th ave.

Thanks
post #743 of 3826 Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

my bad. i typed 6 th ave dot com, but the tricky system busted me. good luck. later.
post #744 of 3826 Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

OK so I have an Oppo upconverting player that is set to output 720p signal into the AVR-988, however, I am using HDMI cable for that. Does this mean that my signal does not get upconverted to 1080p by Sony HDTV in this setup? When I press display on the Sony HDTV when playing Oppo , I do get 720p dignal info - but according to you, that's just what's being fed into AVR-988 a.k.a pass-through on HDMI cable. So if I am reading this correctly, the only way for Sony TV to upconvert to its native 1080p resolution is to feed my Oppo signal via component into AVR-988. Is that correct ? I am a bit confused here sorry

Okay, let's try this again. You have a 1080p HDTV. The ONLY THING your Sony can display is 1080p. Regardless of whether you use component or HDMI into the Sony, it ALL GETS UPSCALED TO 1080p. If you feed 720p to the 988 by the Oppo via HDMI it passes through as 720p to the Sony and gets upscaled by the Sony to 1080p. If you use component from the Oppo to the 988, the 720p gets upscaled by the 988 to 1080p which passes through to the Sony as 1080p.

post #745 of 3826 Old 04-02-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23 View Post

my bad. i typed 6 th ave dot com, but the tricky system busted me. good luck. later.

Thanks Aham, I wanted to go with an auth dealer which 6ave is and they came off their price signifiantly from the MSRP they advertise.
post #746 of 3826 Old 04-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Okay, let's try this again. You have a 1080p HDTV. The ONLY THING your Sony can display is 1080p. Regardless of whether you use component or HDMI into the Sony, it ALL GETS UPSCALED TO 1080p. If you feed 720p to the 988 by the Oppo via HDMI it passes through as 720p to the Sony and gets upscaled by the Sony to 1080p. If you use component from the Oppo to the 988, the 720p gets upscaled by the 988 to 1080p which passes through to the Sony as 1080p.

Thanks - I really appreciate a thorough explanation. Now I need to test which does a better upconversion, Dennon or Sony HDTV

Nikonowski
post #747 of 3826 Old 04-03-2008, 06:07 AM

I have ordered but not received my 2808 yet, ordered yesterday. I have downloaded the manual and high lighting initial set up info to speed up the set up process.

On page 31 Option Setup is not clear to me how to configure my fronts in bi-amp.

Do I use the Front A B-amp or B Bi amp option in the menu and what pairs of speaker outputs do I run to the front speakers?

Its not as intutive as I would like.

Thanks
post #748 of 3826 Old 04-03-2008, 06:47 AM

bump
post #749 of 3826 Old 04-03-2008, 06:57 AM

Has anyone tried one of the Network Ipod docs? I called Denon CSR and she said I could stream music from my PC and could receive any F/W downloads using it.

Anyone know for sure meaning they have actually done this ?

Thanks,
post #750 of 3826 Old 04-03-2008, 09:05 AM

bump
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page