The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3826 Old 04-24-2008, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
redcell, I have the following equipment and all is HDMI except the XBOX360. I have the I/P setting under video as off since all 3 of my sources are set for 1080i output and I do not want the signal modified.

Hope that helps.

Mits WS-73615 (ISF Calibrated)
Denon AVR-2808CI
Polk RTi8 - mains
Polk CSi30 - Center - soon to be replaced with a CSi5
Polk RTi28 - Rears
HSU VTF-3 MK3 Turbo - Sub
HSU MBM-12
PS3 - 60g
X360 - HD-DVD/Media Extender
DirectTV HD-DVR/Seagate FAP 750g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3826 Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 AM

Bump, anyone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsmith View Post

I am starting to experience a strange behaviour with the 2808 and am interested if anyone else is seeing this.

No matter which source I am on be it HDMI or Componet when I hit the menu button the remote I get a grey screen and the signal according to my TV is a 480I signal, I can see on the receiver screen I am indeed in the menu section. When I hit menu again I go back to the video source I was watching before hittying the menu. If I hit menu again I might get the grey screen or actual see the menu.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

post #813 of 3826 Old 04-24-2008, 12:09 PM

Anyone having this issue ?
post #814 of 3826 Old 04-24-2008, 04:06 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:

Anyone having this issue ?

Yes, we all do. It's how the 2808 displays the menu.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #815 of 3826 Old 04-24-2008, 04:13 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCell99 View Post

Hello everyone-newbie here:

Tomorrow, I plan on purchasing the following:

1) Panasonic 46PZ85U (Plasma)
2) Denon 2808 (Receiver)
3) Denon 1910 (DVD)
4) Sony PS3 Blu-Ray or ?
5) Motorola 6416 HDMI (currently have)

Question, how would you suggest I hook this up to take advantage of the best picture possible? The DVD player will be used on rare occasions and I suspect the PS3 will act as my player (I'm not a gamer). Also, I have a Harmony 890 that I just purchased.

Thanks for any (all) suggestions. Remember, I'm not technically inclined, but am willing to learn.

Red Cell.

PS3 -> HDMI -> 2808 -> HDMI -> Panasonic (if you like the PS3 doing the upscaling)

PS3 -> Component -> 2808 -> HDMI -> Panasonic (if you like the 2808 doing the upscaling)

Which you choose is personal preference although most likely you won't notice any real difference.
Use the 1910 with another TV in the house, as there's no need for it with the PS3 in the hookup.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #816 of 3826 Old 04-24-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes, we all do. It's how the 2808 displays the menu.

JD, so your saying it is a problem everyone experiences with sometimes the menu does not display on the TV and you get a grey 480i blank screen?

Thanks
post #817 of 3826 Old 04-25-2008, 02:46 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

JD, so your saying it is a problem everyone experiences with sometimes the menu does not display on the TV and you get a grey 480i blank screen?

Thanks

The menu should always appear, however, there is generally a 5-10 sec delay. You're probably just not waiting long enough for it to show up. And although I've never checked, it doesn't surprise me that the menu is only displayed in 480i. The 2808 menu is rather archaic whereas the 3808 and higher models have a much superior GUI menu.

post #818 of 3826 Old 04-26-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:

The menu should always appear, however, there is generally a 5-10 sec delay. You're probably just not waiting long enough for it to show up. And although I've never checked, it doesn't surprise me that the menu is only displayed in 480i. The 2808 menu is rather archaic whereas the 3808 and higher models have a much superior GUI menu.

JD, my issue is occassionally when I enter or exit the menu I do not get the black screen with white text, it goes gray and is BLANK, no text. This is not a timing issue with waiting as I reconize the 4-5 seconds it takes to change screens.

SOunds like this is a problem only I have and not seen here. Interesting part is I can see that I am in or out of the menu by looking at the receiver screen.

May try a different HDMI cable between TV and receiver but the only time I have this problem is either entering or exiting the menu and it is not consistant. I never have the issue when watching the other sources just in MENU mode.

Now to a more challenging question, I finally have my antenna coinnected to my receiver but can not figure out how to change the stations from default pre-sets.

Way to much trouble just to listen to FM. anyone that has figured it out please share because the manual SUCKS !!!!!
post #819 of 3826 Old 04-26-2008, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Well, I've had the 2808 for a few days now and I'm 100% satisfied. I haven't even used the Audyssey setup yet (need to get a tripod in the next few weeks) and I think is already sounds amazing. I just used my SPL meter to calibrate and I'm happy with the outcome so far. This is really the first time I've been able to listen to TrueHD, DTSHD MA and LPCM soundtracks on HD DVDs and Blu-Rays. I'll admit, I don't hear are huge, jump in your face, difference but, what I do hear is more clarity and better definition in the sound. The little things seem to stand out more and become more clear. When comparing the DD5.1 to the TureHD track of the openning titles in Superman Returns, the TrueHD just sounded more crisp and more pronounced. The differences are subtle IMO, but those subtlies make a big difference.

Top 5 things I love about this receiver (remember, my old receiver was 6 or 7 years old so, while some of these may be standard on many receivers today, this is the first time I've ever experienced them):

5. Power On volume setting! Love this feature! I can't count the number of times when I'd forget to lower the volume on my old receiver only to be blasted out of the room when I turned it on the next day. This feature is pure genius.

4. No clicking noises when the audio mode switches! This didn't bug me too much but drove my wife up the wall with the old receiver. It is alos one of the main reason I stop looking at the Onkyo 705, too many complaints about clicking nosies during sound mode changes (even going from TV shows to commercials). Only times I've heard a click from the 2808 is when it is powered on or when put in mute.

3. No audio pause when the 2808 switches sound modes. My old receiver would cause a sound pause or delay for about 2 seconds as it determined the sound mode that was being input. This would happen whenever you pause then play, skip chapters on a HD DVD or BD and change channels on TV. So far I haven't noticed this with the 2808 or, it is a much shorter pause.

2. Setup Lock feature! Yes, this is number 2, I love this feature. My wife tends to fall asleep on top of the remote sometimes and this will prevent her from messing up the settings by accident. This will also come in handy when my 6 month old gets a little older and start playing with remotes.

1. The overall sound quality, especially DD TrueHD and DTSHD MA. No complaints in this department, this thing packs a good punch (and I thought my old receiver did a good job). Can't wait to mess with Audyssey sometime in the future.

My one nitpick with the receiver is that I wish the volume wouldn't move up or down so fast when you hold the volume button down. Of course this is a very minor nitpick and I'll probably get use to it after a while. Another thing I'm pleased with is that it doesn't seem to run as hot as I was expecting. Granted, I haven't put it through an tough extended workout yet but, with normal TV viewing, the 2808 and my old receiver put out about the same amount of heat. Another reason I stop looking at the Onkyo's (from what I've read they tend to run pretty hot).

I am confused about one thing. The manual states that when you run the test tones through the main menu you have the choice of output level (being -12dB, 0dB or +12dB). This choice is not anywhere in my menus as far as I can tell. Was this just a misprint in the manual or am I missing something?

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #820 of 3826 Old 04-26-2008, 04:39 PM

Can't wait!!!! Getting my avr988 aka 2808 on Monday. Its on the fed ex truck.!! It's gonna be replacing my avr987 aka 2807. (which needs to get serviced cause the video processor conked out. Gonna put it on Craig's List for sale).

"A Video Game Junkie At His Finest"
[700+ games and 26 systems]-updated 1.5.09
Video Game Calibration for Sharp 46" 64/62 series
Denon Help by Batpig
post #821 of 3826 Old 04-26-2008, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else having trouble signing into the Denon Owners Club on there website? It keeps telling me that my e-mail doesn't exist in there system even though I know I'm putting the correct e-mail and password in.

post #822 of 3826 Old 04-27-2008, 07:09 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

JD, my issue is occassionally when I enter or exit the menu I do not get the black screen with white text, it goes gray and is BLANK, no text. This is not a timing issue with waiting as I reconize the 4-5 seconds it takes to change screens.

SOunds like this is a problem only I have and not seen here. Interesting part is I can see that I am in or out of the menu by looking at the receiver screen.

May try a different HDMI cable between TV and receiver but the only time I have this problem is either entering or exiting the menu and it is not consistant. I never have the issue when watching the other sources just in MENU mode.

Now to a more challenging question, I finally have my antenna coinnected to my receiver but can not figure out how to change the stations from default pre-sets.

Way to much trouble just to listen to FM. anyone that has figured it out please share because the manual SUCKS !!!!!

It does sound like perhaps a cable issue, as the Menu should show up every time.

Programming radio stations is tricky to be sure. Page 44 tells how to do it but the trick is working with the remote. You need to press TU to display the Tuner remote codes on the remote display. Use the CH +/- to cycle between default pre-sets. To change the pre-set you have to use the UP/DOWN arrows displayed on the REMOTE display (down arrow above MODE and up arrow above MEMO). That should solve your problem.

post #823 of 3826 Old 04-27-2008, 07:30 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I am confused about one thing. The manual states that when you run the test tones through the main menu you have the choice of output level (being -12dB, 0dB or +12dB). This choice is not anywhere in my menus as far as I can tell. Was this just a misprint in the manual or am I missing something?

This feature should work as indicated in the manual as listed on p. 27. When you select Test Tone Start (arrow down to it from Test Tone Auto/Manual) then pressing the button on the remote, the test tone will start and another menu will show up initially with all 0db for each speaker. You then have the option of adjusting the test tone for each speaker from -12db to +12db by pressing the righ or left arrow buttons.

post #824 of 3826 Old 04-27-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This feature should work as indicated in the manual as listed on p. 27. When you select Test Tone Start (arrow down to it from Test Tone Auto/Manual) then pressing the button on the remote, the test tone will start and another menu will show up initially with all 0db for each speaker. You then have the option of adjusting the test tone for each speaker from -12db to +12db by pressing the righ or left arrow buttons.

Aww, I just misunderstood what the manual meant. I thought it meant you could select the overall volume output level of the test tones before starting them. I took it as you could play the tones at 12db under reference, at reference or 12db over reference. Oh well, mine is working fine then because I did make some adjustments in that menu.

post #825 of 3826 Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Anyone else having trouble signing into the Denon Owners Club on there website? It keeps telling me that my e-mail doesn't exist in there system even though I know I'm putting the correct e-mail and password in.

Denon seems to be having server problems. Try again in a few days.

post #826 of 3826 Old 04-27-2008, 07:44 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Aww, I just misunderstood what the manual meant.

Very easy to do to be sure. As with other manuals, this is not put together as well as it could have been.

post #827 of 3826 Old 04-27-2008, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Never mind, clicking noise was my TV not the 2808.

post #828 of 3826 Old 04-27-2008, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

One last question;

How does the 2808 handle a 7.1 PCM input signal if you only have 5.1 speakers hooked up? Will it down mix the 2 extra surround channels into the 5.1 output or just drop them completely?

post #829 of 3826 Old 04-28-2008, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ive been enjoying getting my 988 set up; lots of options. I ran the Audyssey setup routine a couple of times, coming closer to happiness each time. But then things went haywire.

What's happening is that the routine will fail to hear a speaker and flash up an error message that the speaker or the mic isn't attached. The speakers are working OK. The first time was during the position 7. I fiddled the mic cord, the plug, and the strain relief on the mic. That got things running for one more channel, then if errored again one channel further along (the routine resets to the beginning - left front - each time). I tried not touching anything, but just forcing the retry. That produced the same result, moving the process along one more channel before erroring out. I tried several repeats and never could discover if the problem was a mic connection.

Disgusted, I gave up, canceled and shut the system down. I tried again to run the Audyssey setup and couldn't even finish position 2 before things errored again.

Do I have a bad mic? A bad receiver? Did I miss something? Any way to tell?

Thanks

-= Jed =-
post #830 of 3826 Old 04-29-2008, 03:04 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobeli View Post

Do I have a bad mic? A bad receiver? Did I miss something? Any way to tell?

Thanks

Sounds like a bad mic possibly. Are you doing the AUTO setup? Try the MANUAL setup and see if that results in the same problem. I'd call Denon and see what they say as they'll probably just ship out another mic to you.

post #831 of 3826 Old 04-29-2008, 03:08 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

One last question;

How does the 2808 handle a 7.1 PCM input signal if you only have 5.1 speakers hooked up? Will it down mix the 2 extra surround channels into the 5.1 output or just drop them completely?

Hard to tell from the manual, although it probably just drops them. Although you can probably just have your video source (PS3 for sure) down mix it to 5.1. I'd call Denon to be sure.

post #832 of 3826 Old 04-29-2008, 07:04 AM

UPDATE:

I have had a visit from my local Hi-Fi Club.

The problem is not solved, but we think we have identified the problem.

My TV a D-Boss LT 32HLP has a DVI-I connection. The Denon 2808 refrences DVI-D as the compatibel standard. This we think might make a conflict.

So the bottom line is that I need a new TV!

AKIRA

Original post:
First of I want to say I have stumped my local HiFi shop about this problem. So it’s not about basic setup since me and the shop have gone over the setup.

The problem:
My HTPC hooked into the 2808 with HDMI to a LCD Screen with HDMI works fine.
Onscreen menu from the 2808 on HDMI does NOT work.

Wii and PS/2 hooked into the 2808 via component cable does NOT work over HDMI, but does work with S-video (yellow cable). So does Onscreen menu from the 2808.

But the HTPC does NOT work via S-video (which stands to reason since the HTPC sends out 720p)

My goal is of course to have them all work via HDMI. HTPC, Wii, PS/2 and onscreen menu.

It’s the lack of onscreen menu via HDMI that has us all stumped since the HTPC works fine.

The Setup:
HTPC has DVI out. So I have a DVI to HDMI converter.
Then a HDMI cable from that to the 2808.
Then a HDMI cable from 2808 to the TV which has DVI in.
TV has a the same DVI to HDMI converter as the HTPC.

My suspicion is towards the DVI interface and 24 vs 48 pin. That maybe a 24 pin DIV somehow is missing something the Denon requires. But then again I am not 100% sure I have 24 pins in my HDMI to DVI converter...

So I am seeking either some experience with this or some facts around this.

Thank you for all the help!

AKIRA
post #833 of 3826 Old 04-29-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
I'm not a golden ear, but most high end reviewers state that the Denon mid-line A/V receivers have good solid sound when compared to their competiton (Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, etc). That said, I upgraded from the 2807, and the difference is big, IMHO. I feel the 1.3 HDMI handshaking from Sony Blu-ray and Toshiba HD-DVD is far more stable, and the internal decoding for the advanced HD audio formats is awesome. Also, the Audyssey setup utility is improved from the earlier version - much better soundstage, frequency response and tighter bass with far less boom. Denon states that the 2808 is not just an upgrade from the 2707, but a different beast altogether. A great value!

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #834 of 3826 Old 04-29-2008, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Suppose you decode a 5.1 Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA track in the 2808 (that is, not in the player). Can the 2808 do post-processing and apply PLIIx to the decoded 5.1 track so as to produce 7.1 output?
post #835 of 3826 Old 04-29-2008, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Are you doing the AUTO setup? Try the MANUAL setup and see if that results in the same problem.

Yes, AUTO. I can't find a spot in the manual setup that uses the mic. Am I just missing it?

AUTO ran 7 positions flawlessly this morning. I'm beginning to suspect heat. The room ambient was c. 82F when the unit failed . While the unit is well ventillated, maybe it's a marginal board.

-= Jed =-
post #836 of 3826 Old 04-29-2008, 06:52 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_templar_32 View Post

Suppose you decode a 5.1 Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA track in the 2808 (that is, not in the player). Can the 2808 do post-processing and apply PLIIx to the decoded 5.1 track so as to produce 7.1 output?

Yep.

post #837 of 3826 Old 04-29-2008, 06:54 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobeli View Post

Yes, AUTO. I can't find a spot in the manual setup that uses the mic. Am I just missing it?

AUTO ran 7 positions flawlessly this morning. I'm beginning to suspect heat. The room ambient was c. 82F when the unit failed . While the unit is well ventillated, maybe it's a marginal board.

Both AUTO and MANUAL use the mic, although I would agree it sounds like a defective unit. Talk with Denon about it.

post #838 of 3826 Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIRAx31 View Post

The Setup:
HTPC has DVI out. So I have a DVI to HDMI converter.
Then a HDMI cable from that to the 2808.
Then a HDMI cable from 2808 to the TV which has DVI in.
TV has a the same DVI to HDMI converter as the HTPC.

Reading through your previous posts in another thread, you indicate you purchased the 2808 specifically to upscale video to 1080p. The problem is the 2808 only upscales "analog" input and you are using digital cables which will only "pass through" what is being sent. In order to upscale using HDMI cable you've got to upgrade to a higher model Denon AVR.

post #839 of 3826 Old 04-30-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:

Reading through your previous posts in another thread, you indicate you purchased the 2808 specifically to upscale video to 1080p. The problem is the 2808 only upscales "analog" input and you are using digital cables which will only "pass through" what is being sent. In order to upscale using HDMI cable you've got to upgrade to a higher model Denon AVR.

My current TV can only support 720p. The HTPC is set to output 720p and it works. Its the Wii and PS/2 connected via component (Which is analog I assume) that dosent work. Also how does this stop the onscreen menu from working via HDMI?

When I buy a TV that supports 1080p I will set my HTPC to output to that format.

If this is not what you ment please elaborate.

AKIRA
post #840 of 3826 Old 04-30-2008, 03:36 AM
585-645-1006

Simply saying that there will be no video upscaling to 720p done using HDMI/DVI cables into the 2808.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page