The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3822 Old 10-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the AVR 2808 and hooked up a few items (DVD, PVR, Wii). The HDMI connections were a breeze to setup, but when I setup the Wii using components cables I only get video, no audio. The cables work when connecting directly to the TV.

The input is set to component "3-RCA" (and the RCA cables are connected to TV/CBL (same with components, TV/CBL).

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3822 Old 10-02-2007, 09:48 AM

Hey guys,

My 2808ci drops the video signal for a second when ever some action seens, this happens on my projector as well as my flat panel. I have the componet conections and wonder if anyone else has this issue?
post #63 of 3822 Old 10-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Does the top of the unit get very hot? Is there a built in cooling fan? Is the unit easy to set up? Thanks

CHAS ZOSS OPPO EAP 2nd ROUND late entry!
post #64 of 3822 Old 10-03-2007, 03:52 AM

Well some body please respond!

post #65 of 3822 Old 10-03-2007, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAS ZOSS View Post

Does the top of the unit get very hot? Is there a built in cooling fan? Is the unit easy to set up? Thanks

The unit gets warm not hot, haven't noticed a cooling fan, it is easy to setup if you glance at the instructions.
post #66 of 3822 Old 10-03-2007, 10:49 AM

So I just bought a 2807, and 30 day returns ended last weekend!!!! I havent even unpacked it yet and its already outdated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #67 of 3822 Old 10-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod220 View Post

So I just bought a 2807, and 30 day returns ended last weekend!!!! I havent even unpacked it yet and its already outdated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just contacted Crutchfield and I can still return my 2807...Can anyone sum upt the difference between 2808ci and 2807? worth returning my 2807?

thanks in advance
post #68 of 3822 Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tansahk View Post

In case you are interested, 6ave-dot-com having a sell at $798 and no shipping for this reciever till oct 8. Use the coupon code "DEN798" at checkout. Just got this from there email ad.

thanks! just ordered one...$100 less then the 2807 I just returned
post #69 of 3822 Old 10-03-2007, 12:16 PM

Well I had bought a Onkyo 705 from CC last week for 749.00 with 12 months no interest, but after reading about the excess heat and the audio lag problem I never opened it up. Spent some time at Bestbuy and the Denon 2808 looks like a nicer unit, I really liked the remote, not as busy as the Onkyo. Then after seeing the price at 6ave I pushed a few buttons on keyboard and it will be here next week. Now for next question do you think one half inch on top of unit in a cabinet with three inches on each side with no back or front is enough ventilation? Or if not with a fan pulling air out of the rear of the cabinet? This is to replace a Panasonic XR55 so what can I expect in sound improvement? Thanks.

post #70 of 3822 Old 10-03-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

Well I had bought a Onkyo 705 from CC last week for 749.00 with 12 months no interest, but after reading about the excess heat and the audio lag problem I never opened it up. Spent some time at Bestbuy and the Denon 2808 looks like a nicer unit, I really liked the remote, not as busy as the Onkyo. Then after seeing the price at 6ave I pushed a few buttons on keyboard and it will be here next week. Now for next question do you think one half inch on top of unit in a cabinet with three inches on each side with no back or front is enough ventilation? Or if not with a fan pulling air out of the rear of the cabinet? This is to replace a Panasonic XR55 so what can I expect in sound improvement? Thanks.

not specific to the denon unit, but ANY unit with ventilation holes on the top probably needs more than 1/2 inch of breathing space...

ymmv...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #71 of 3822 Old 10-03-2007, 01:00 PM

Now that I have had some time to play with the 2808 - I must say that I am quite pleased. The 2 channel sound is beautiful, and I am still playing with the surround modes to get the sound that I am looking for there, but really nice. This is my first AVR, and frankly my last stereo system died 2 years ago, so I am somewhat more easily awed than some of you. I have re discovered the beauty of music. Watched the movie 300 the other night and even without the sub it sounded great. No comment on the film itself.
I don't think that it generates much heat at all. When I was demo'ing it a J and R's NY store I was comparing it to the comparably spec'd Yamaha 1800 - and you could fry eggs on that baby. The Yamaha also felt much heavier in wieght, although I think the documentation says they are about the same.
BTW - I got the 2808 for $849 on a quiet Monday evening after spending about 70 minutes making the salesperson switch AVR's back and forth. I think he just wanted to be rid of me!
As for whether 1/2 inch on top will do - I'd refer to denon for an answer to that one.
post #72 of 3822 Old 10-03-2007, 02:34 PM

I have a question about setting up the 2808's preouts for second and third zones. I'm new to AV receivers so the answers to my questions may be obvious to everyone else.

I have some wireless headphones that I'd like to plug in as my third zone. I'm not hearing any sound through them and I assume it is because they are preouts and not line outs. I believe I have the source set correctly for the zones because I do get sound from the two analog audio outs. Is there any way for me to set up my headphones (they are analog audio) using one of the other zones? I'm already using the two audio outs for the cassette deck and VCR. I guess I could add a splitter on one of those but would that degrade the signal quality? I also don't want to use the jack in front of the receiver

On a different topic, I didn't see a way for the receiver to convert into PCM from Dolby Digital (coming from my Motorola FIOS HD DVR via Digital Coax). Am I missing something? It looked to me like the only option for obtaining analog compatible audio from the DVR was to hook up a second set of audio cables (analog) from the DVR to the receiver???

Finally, in general, I don't think I'm as impressed as everyone else seems to be. Some of the option combinations seem quirky to me (but then I'm still learning too). For example, I hooked up my upconvert DVD player using component video to use the scaler. With the monitor setting on Normal, my Matrix widescreen DVD displays in a windowbox. When I switch the receiver's monitor option to full, the movie looks fine but all SD content is then stretched. I don't want because the Panny's Justify option is better. If I switch the DVD player back to the HDMI cable, the aspect ratio is correct but I'm forced to use the DVD player's scaler due to HDMI pass through. What good is the receiver's scaler doing me then? Seems like a lot of catch 22s. Maybe it's just me but for $1,200, I expected a smoother experience.

Thanks in advance
post #73 of 3822 Old 10-03-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insitedata View Post

I have a question about setting up the 2808's preouts for second and third zones. I'm new to AV receivers so the answers to my questions may be obvious to everyone else.

I have some wireless headphones that I'd like to plug in as my third zone. I'm not hearing any sound through them and I assume it is because they are preouts and not line outs. I believe I have the source set correctly for the zones because I do get sound from the two analog audio outs. Is there any way for me to set up my headphones (they are analog audio) using one of the other zones? I'm already using the two audio outs for the cassette deck and VCR. I guess I could add a splitter on one of those but would that degrade the signal quality? I also don't want to use the jack in front of the receiver

Just to be sure here... you realize that the Zone2&3 jacks feed independent audio source from your primary zone? You could watch TV in zone1, listen to CD in zone2, and the radio in zone3, all at the same time.

Quote:

On a different topic, I didn't see a way for the receiver to convert into PCM from Dolby Digital (coming from my Motorola FIOS HD DVR via Digital Coax). Am I missing something? It looked to me like the only option for obtaining analog compatible audio from the DVR was to hook up a second set of audio cables (analog) from the DVR to the receiver???

You can set the receiver to downmix the surround audio into 2 channel audio, is this what you are asking? Or is this related to the "zone" issue again?

Quote:

Finally, in general, I don't think I'm as impressed as everyone else seems to be. Some of the option combinations seem quirky to me (but then I'm still learning too). For example, I hooked up my upconvert DVD player using component video to use the scaler. With the monitor setting on Normal, my Matrix widescreen DVD displays in a windowbox. When I switch the receiver's monitor option to full, the movie looks fine but all SD content is then stretched. I don't want because the Panny's Justify option is better. If I switch the DVD player back to the HDMI cable, the aspect ratio is correct but I'm forced to use the DVD player's scaler due to HDMI pass through. What good is the receiver's scaler doing me then? Seems like a lot of catch 22s. Maybe it's just me but for $1,200, I expected a smoother experience.

Sounds like you are double-scaling. You need to decide which of the two has a better scaler and use that one. Personally I use the AVR's because I have a few analogue sources and I only want to use 1 HDMI cable to the TV. The scaler did make my Wii and DVDs through the Xbox360 look appreciably better though. YMMV depending on what you connect.
post #74 of 3822 Old 10-03-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nweibley View Post

Just to be sure here... you realize that the Zone2&3 jacks feed independent audio source from your primary zone? You could watch TV in zone1, listen to CD in zone2, and the radio in zone3, all at the same time.

Yes. I actually want to use the headphones when I'm out outside or upstairs independent of the main zone. Is there a way to do that without using the two outs that I'm already using?

Quote:

You can set the receiver to downmix the surround audio into 2 channel audio, is this what you are asking?

Yes, that is what I want to do. Glad to know I can do that. I went through the different modes and I didn't think I saw the combination to do it on the DVR. However, I'm only going by the manual and it didn't think it spelled it out (although I think that would be a common beginner question). With the DVD source, I did it on the player itself.

Quote:

Sounds like you are double-scaling.

I don't think that is the case but I was trying all types of permutations. I'll check it tonight or tomorrow night. I want to use the receiver's scaler too. With my cheap DVD player, (Panny S-53 I think???) the scaler only comes into play when using HDMI so I don't have an option to scale it when using component video. I think it comes through as 480p because that is what I saw when I did component video on both sides of the receiver. Right now, I'm using HDMI from the receiver to the TV.

Thanks for the info.
post #75 of 3822 Old 10-03-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Yes. I actually want to use the headphones when I'm out outside or upstairs independent of the main zone. Is there a way to do that without using the two outs that I'm already using?

The pre-outs should, afaik, work. They offer 1.2v signal, the phono jack offers 150mV signal. Double check your wireless equipment and make sure you are using the right zone and setting it to the right source.

Quote:

Yes, that is what I want to do. Glad to know I can do that. I went through the different modes and I didn't think I saw the combination to do it on the DVR. However, I'm only going by the manual and it didn't think it spelled it out (although I think that would be a common beginner question). With the DVD source, I did it on the player itself.

It's under manual setup, speaker configuration... just set your front speakers to "large" and everything else to "none". You will get a 2 channel downmix no matter what you input.

Good luck amigo.
post #76 of 3822 Old 10-03-2007, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am thinking about using the 2808CI as a pre-amp/processor for my home theater system. I am currently using the Denon AVR-786 as a pre-amp and have the Boston Acoustics A7200 7 channel power amp. For $798 at 6th ave., is this a great choice in separates....
post #77 of 3822 Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglover19 View Post

I am thinking about using the 2808CI as a pre-amp/processor for my home theater system. I am currently using the Denon AVR-786 as a pre-amp and have the Boston Acoustics A7200 7 channel power amp. For $798 at 6th ave., is this a great choice in separates....

be careful w/ 6th Ave. I ordered one off their website yesterday morning, and never got an email confirmation. i then tried logging into their website and my email was not found. so i called and they had no record of my order! the promo expires this week so i'd call to double check your order goes through...
post #78 of 3822 Old 10-04-2007, 07:12 AM

Is it possible to hook up to the front B terminals for playing same source stereo inside and out? or is my only option zone 2 and not play same source on both in and out side? Thanks

post #79 of 3822 Old 10-04-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod220 View Post

be careful w/ 6th Ave. I ordered one off their website yesterday morning, and never got an email confirmation. i then tried logging into their website and my email was not found. so i called and they had no record of my order! the promo expires this week so i'd call to double check your order goes through...

My order went through no problem, Why dont you try again.

post #80 of 3822 Old 10-04-2007, 10:51 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
I posted an earlier comment regarding the upscaling feature of the 2808CI. Turns out that my (and apparently most) 1080p plasma TV upscales a 480i signal already, which is why I don't see any noticable difference when it gets upscaled by the 2808CI. As I also learned, "upscaling" generally doesn't mean a clearer picture, just that it "upscales" it to be displayed on a larger scale (ie 480 lines to 1080 lines).

I found that the NIGHT feature does not work very well. Although there is some volume reduction when turned on, there is no appreciable difference beyond LOW. The MED and HIGH don't appear to lower the sound any further. DENON suggested doing a total reset which I did with no change, other than wiping out all my previous system settings.

All and all I am extremely pleased with what I have learned so far (still much to learn). I especially appreciate the (3) programmable (macro) "Call" functions which allow you to store up to 32 keystrokes each (e.g. turning on various components as well as making various changes for those components). I've got the 3 functions set up as follows: (1) Turns on TV, changes TV to HDMI 2, turns on DVD player, turns on 2808CI, then changes it to DVD surround sound cinema mode (2) Turns on TV, AMP, then changes it to GAME mode, and (3) Turns off all components including DirecTV box, DVD, AMP and changes TV to HDMI 1 before turning off as well (so after the kids are finished playing their games using HDMI 2, I don't have to change it back to watch regular TV on HDMI 1. I love it! The kids do as well ... they only have to deal with one remote now (the 2808CI remote).

One thing I did learn in programming the "CALL" functions. When turning on a component you have to give it time to 'turn on' so you must turn on something else to give it a chance to warm up. I don't have a VCR so I inserted a TURN OFF VCR sequence to allow some "pause" time before going back to the TV (ie when wanting to switch between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #81 of 3822 Old 10-04-2007, 04:16 PM

Anybody having trouble with 5 channel stereo and the subwoofer? My 2801 had no problems with 5 channel and sub but 2808 seems to not play the sub.

I have been messing with it but getting frustrated.
post #82 of 3822 Old 10-04-2007, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Guys, I'm not seeing that $798 price at their site - it's only list price - deal over now?

post #83 of 3822 Old 10-04-2007, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Guys, I'm not seeing that $798 price at their site - it's only list price - deal over now?

You need to enter coupon code DEN798 to see the discounted price. Here is a thread to read.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...ighlight=denon

How good of a deal is this? I need to build a 5.1 system for my family room using a 1080p LCD or Plasma TV...

I can't decide between the AVR-2808CI for $798 and the Yahama RX-V2600 for $600 at *******....
post #84 of 3822 Old 10-04-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

You need to input the "DEN798" discount code when prompted to get the special price. I had no problems earlier this evening entering my order and imediately received a confirmation.
post #85 of 3822 Old 10-04-2007, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Thanks! Very tempting deal.

I'm currently using a (non HDMI) Yamaha HTR-5890 via digital optical.

I wonder how the amp quality of the Denon will compare? Of course, the Denon does lossless, but I wonder about the amp differences. (Receiver strictly used for Toshiba HD-A2 and PS3.)

post #86 of 3822 Old 10-04-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryld View Post

You need to input the "DEN798" discount code when prompted to get the special price. I had no problems earlier this evening entering my order and imediately received a confirmation.

Yes and I placed my order yesterday, and it shipped today.

post #87 of 3822 Old 10-04-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Yes and I placed my order yesterday, and it shipped today.

Be sure and give us your first impressions upon initial setup. Can't wait to get mine as this is by far the most advanced receiver I have ever purchased.
post #88 of 3822 Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 PM

I should be getting mine on Monday. Will report when I get it. It will be replacing an "old" yammy 5550. I actually got the 6th Ave coupon through email... Great deal it seems. $100 less than JR.
post #89 of 3822 Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 PM

I put one of these on hold at my local electronics store of choice. They're getting them in stock tomorrow so I'll be picking it up real soon. I can't wait, as this is my first Denon. I'm upgrading from a Sony STR-DA1000ES, which was decent enough, but I'm anticipating this will be well worth it. This is the last piece to complete my revamped HT! I'll post what I think when I get a chance to set it up and soak it in a little.

Through appliance of science, we've got that ring of confidence
post #90 of 3822 Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Well, you lag, you lose--maybe. The 2808 is no longer on the 6ave website as it was about midnight last night. Called them and got one of those "no problem" let's do it over the phone--got em in stock salesmen. I did the transaction with him and got a confirmation #, but he said he couldn't link it to my registered email account via phone order. I'll have to be in limbo for a while as he said 7-10 buisness day for delivery and should be on the pending order system by Tuesday.
I always forget to get the reps name-%$#@&((&!

As long as I get it at that price and and good shape -I'm good

Tony B
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page