The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3826 Old 05-13-2008, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Night Mode on my 988 appears to function as I’d expect: as a compressor. The difference between the levels is pretty subtle, but it’s doing its thing when it’s engaged.

-= Jed =-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3826 Old 05-13-2008, 03:38 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobeli View Post

Night Mode on my 988 appears to function as I’d expect: as a compressor. The difference between the levels is pretty subtle, but it’s doing its thing when it’s engaged.

Thanks. I would have expected Denon to provide considerably more differential given a separate function is offered and especially that it's just as easy to just lower the master volume with a better result.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #903 of 3826 Old 05-13-2008, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I own a 2808.

I trying to run my Wii into the 2808 and back out to the TV via the HDMI cable.

What settings do I need to have on the input for this to work??

Thanks in advance
post #904 of 3826 Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsmith View Post

Is there anyone willing to try a test. Pretty simple. Make sure AUdessy is lit on receiver, change sources by using quick select soft keys on remote, check to see if Audessy is lit on receiver for new source, then use quick select soft key to select original source and see if AUdessy is still lit on receiver

I can live with it, I just will not use the quick select soft keys. Not a deal breaker but it has sure exposed the lack of product knowledge Denon Tech support.

I just did this on my AVR988 aka 2808 and Audessy stayed lit. No problem here. As far as the night mode issue, mine does go down. I hear a difference in tonal clarity as I go from low to high. So far mine is working perfectly, which is much more than I can say for my AVR987 aka 2707 which I have to bring to the repair center.

"A Video Game Junkie At His Finest"
[700+ games and 26 systems]-updated 1.5.09
Video Game Calibration for Sharp 46" 64/62 series
Denon Help by Batpig
post #905 of 3826 Old 05-14-2008, 03:25 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by furian View Post

I own a 2808.

I trying to run my Wii into the 2808 and back out to the TV via the HDMI cable.

What settings do I need to have on the input for this to work??

Thanks in advance

I don't have a Wii, however, if use the SEARCH THIS THREAD feature, and input the word "wii" you'll get a number of replies to folks who have talked about the Wii in regards to the 2808. My PS3 worked as soon as I plugged it in, no adjustments needed at all to either the PS3 or the 2808.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #906 of 3826 Old 05-14-2008, 06:32 AM

So I've got mine all hooked up and I absolutely love it. I found it easy to set up and I love the way it sounds with my old Klipsch speakers.

I do have one question, though. Reading the manual, it seems to imply that using the standard button allows you the choose a playback mode that will automatically detect Dolby or DTS. When I choose the playback mode I have to choose Dolby, DTS, or neural. Do I have to change this based on what I am watching or is there a way to set the receiver to detect this automatically? Neural sounds very flat...is that the intention? What do people here leave their receiver on? Thanks for any tips!
post #907 of 3826 Old 05-14-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsmith View Post

Well, 6ave is an authorized Denon e-tailor and their price was MUCH lower than anyone else by several $100s.

I have also narrowed the problem down to it is just an issue if I use the quick select soft keys on the remote. If I use the source select on the remote hard keys I do not have the issue.

I bet everyone has this problem and just do not know it. I doubt they even know that they are missing the AUdessy light on their receiver.

I am going to go to Frys and Best Buy, I bet this is a problem that Denon is not even aware of.

I called their authorized repair center 2 blocks from work and they are more clueless than Denon tech support which is really hard to believe. They suggested I check the cable connections from the sources to the receiver.

Is there anyone willing to try a test. Pretty simple. Make sure AUdessy is lit on receiver, change sources by using quick select soft keys on remote, check to see if Audessy is lit on receiver for new source, then use quick select soft key to select original source and see if AUdessy is still lit on receiver

I can live with it, I just will not use the quick select soft keys. Not a deal breaker but it has sure exposed the lack of product knowledge Denon Tech support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post

So I've got mine all hooked up and I absolutely love it. I found it easy to set up and I love the way it sounds with my old Klipsch speakers.

I do have one question, though. Reading the manual, it seems to imply that using the standard button allows you the choose a playback mode that will automatically detect Dolby or DTS. When I choose the playback mode I have to choose Dolby, DTS, or neural. Do I have to change this based on what I am watching or is there a way to set the receiver to detect this automatically? Neural sounds very flat...is that the intention? What do people here leave their receiver on? Thanks for any tips!

It should automatically set to a audio format when you switch sources. You than can change it to what ever you want. Or you can use the Quick Select to set a preference for whatever 3 sources you want. It'll do Dolby Digital on SD dvds automatically, unless you go into the dvd menu and change the audio format there. You can manually do it on the receiver, but your better off just changing it on the DVD movie.

"A Video Game Junkie At His Finest"
[700+ games and 26 systems]-updated 1.5.09
Video Game Calibration for Sharp 46" 64/62 series
Denon Help by Batpig
post #908 of 3826 Old 05-14-2008, 11:13 AM

Based on the reviews I have seen on this forum I decided to purchase the Denon AVR2808-CI. I will be connecting my DirecTV HD box and PS3 through it using HDMI cables. From past posts, I know the basic setup should be no problem and I know how to set the PS3. Are there any additional hints anyone would care to offer? From reading the manual leaves alot to be deciphered and would like to limit my initial set up mistakes.
post #909 of 3826 Old 05-14-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmagic View Post

Based on the reviews I have seen on this forum I decided to purchase the Denon AVR2808-CI. I will be connecting my DirecTV HD box and PS3 through it using HDMI cables. From past posts, I know the basic setup should be no problem and I know how to set the PS3. Are there any additional hints anyone would care to offer? From reading the manual leaves alot to be deciphered and would like to limit my initial set up mistakes.

If you are setting up for 7.1 be sure to read "Surround Back Speaker" on page 26 of the manual, because the default setting is to *NOT* use any surround back speaker(s) -- i.e. it defaults to 5.1 instead of 7.1. So if you are setting up a 7.1 configuration you *must* change this from the default.

rcp
post #910 of 3826 Old 05-14-2008, 02:44 PM

As reported I have a couple of issues and thought I would post some updates.

Grey blank screen when entering menu for sources 2 and 3. If I set HDMI Video option for A-H which is deafult everything works as it should, If I select A-H to off I get the blank grey screen when entering the menu. That explains why it went away when I reset the processor.
Not sure why it does this and is not not considered an issue leaving HDMI setting to default.

Night Mode not working. appears to be working and may have never been broken. I had to turn the volume up to -30 to tell the difference.

Audessy turns off when using quick select keys. Work around for me is use remote source hard keys (DVD (4) - STB (5)-VCR (7))
post #911 of 3826 Old 05-14-2008, 09:15 PM

hello, im new here and just got my new 2808CI.
i have everything setup and im running my DVR and my PS3 thru HDMI 1.3a cable to my Sony Bravia 52" LCD tv and for some reason i cannot get the TrueHD light to light up when watching bluray movies (I am Lgend) but when i hit my PS3 remote it says in the upper part of screen that im in DB TrueHD but why doesnt it say that on my AVR?

forgive me if this has alrdy been mention but WOW theres alot of post in this thread to read sorry
post #912 of 3826 Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Khoop The TrueHD or DTS-HD light will not turn on when you use PS3 as it doesn't output the audio via bitstream. Meaning the audio is decoded in PS3 rather than the Receiver. Rest assured the quality is the same. You can go through the prior posting to get more details on other threads. Welcome to AVSforum BTW
post #913 of 3826 Old 05-15-2008, 06:45 AM

I have a Harmony 1000 and Denon 2808CI. The problem I'm having is two fold. First,the volume button seems to only work if i press the middle of the button, which often leads to going down when I want to go up, or up when I want to go down. Secondly, if i want to just raise or lower the volume slightly, and I tap the button, nothing happens. So you then have to hold it down, and it raises and lowers the volume so quickly I end up going mute or waking up the neighbors in two seconds. Is there a way to adjust the remote or the reciever so the volume adjusts at a much slower speed?

Thanks in advance.
post #914 of 3826 Old 05-15-2008, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the info on the 7.1 vs 5.1 default. yes I am setting up a Polk 5.1 surround speakers and still utilizes my Pioneer Plasma TV fronts to get me 7.1. What have people found to be a good demo Blu-Ray disk for audio setup/show? I know on the Blu-Ray section that they have a "TIER" rate audio's on disks, but would like to know what others that have the 2808 have used.
post #915 of 3826 Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Mod220 I would suggest adjusting the delay/lag speed on your Harmony software. I was having problem on my Harmony 880 for the setup function on the denon and it went away. You might wanna look at remotes forum for more tips on your Harmony 1000.
post #916 of 3826 Old 05-15-2008, 05:50 PM

k! thx elvisahmed, i thought i was doing something wrong.
post #917 of 3826 Old 05-18-2008, 03:18 PM

I will get a 2808 this week and pair it with a VP50Pro that handles video. I'm crossing my fingers the 2808 do bypass the video unaltered and extract the audio correct.

Upstreams I have a DVB-T box, Oppo DV980 and a PS3 so the 2808 will be feed a various mix of videoresolutions and framerates and different audiosignals including DSD.

I'll report back with my findings.

Så säger Editman!
post #918 of 3826 Old 05-18-2008, 05:45 PM

i own a 2308 but will ask this question here (2308 thread is inactive) coz it pertains to video only and should work the same.

would the 2308 (or 2808) upscale to 720p/1080p thru HDMI OUT when fed with a 480i via HDMI IN? i read in the manual about its upscalling capability with analog sources only. im using component from dvd and HDMI to plasma. wanted to try an all HDMI connnection if it still upscales. reason for this is i want to use the faroudja processor of the 2308 rather than the upscaler of my pioneer dv600.
post #919 of 3826 Old 05-19-2008, 01:25 AM

My understanding of the 2808 and 3808 is that neither upscale from the HDMI inputs. It's a simple bypass with audio extraction. So if you enter 480i the output should be 480i via HDMI. How this in reality work with an upscaled analog videosignal to 1080p and switching between the analog inputs and HDMI inputs when the formats are different - 480i/1080p and how the menus are displayed I don't know. But my guess is that it will take a couple of seconds when you switch inputs for all the HDCP handshake to go thru. And this would also be tru when entering the menu.

The path as described is:

HDMI in -> HDMI out unaltered
Analog in -> HDMI out with upscale

Menu overlay when using the analog inputs and no overlay when using the HDMI inputs. The menu is still displayed when running HDMI out but it's no overlay over picture.

Så säger Editman!
post #920 of 3826 Old 05-19-2008, 03:22 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by weng2x View Post

i own a 2308 but will ask this question here (2308 thread is inactive) coz it pertains to video only and should work the same.

would the 2308 (or 2808) upscale to 720p/1080p thru HDMI OUT when fed with a 480i via HDMI IN? i read in the manual about its upscalling capability with analog sources only. im using component from dvd and HDMI to plasma. wanted to try an all HDMI connnection if it still upscales. reason for this is i want to use the faroudja processor of the 2308 rather than the upscaler of my pioneer dv600.

You're correct. The 2308 and 2808 both have the same video upscaling chip, although neither will upscale analog sources via HDMI. You've got to upgrade to the 5308CI in order to be able to upscale via HDMI. As I've mentioned before, I find the upscaler in my Panasonic HDTV works just as well as the 2808 and so run HDMI from the PS3 to the 2808 and another HDMI on to the Panasonic HDTV.

post #921 of 3826 Old 05-19-2008, 03:35 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by editman View Post

Menu overlay when using the analog inputs and no overlay when using the HDMI inputs. The menu is still displayed when running HDMI out but it's no overlay over picture.

The menu is displayed on a black background regardless of the input. There is no overlay.

post #922 of 3826 Old 05-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You're correct. The 2308 and 2808 both have the same video upscaling chip, although neither will upscale analog sources via HDMI. You've got to upgrade to the 5308CI in order to be able to upscale via HDMI. As I've mentioned before, I find the upscaler in my Panasonic HDTV works just as well as the 2808 and so run HDMI from the PS3 to the 2808 and another HDMI on to the Panasonic HDTV.

this is why "upscaling" receivers don't excite me too much. I am of the opinion that if you have $14-1500 budget for a prepro/amp/video processor, you can get far superior video performance out of a $700-1200 dedicated video processor and add a basic receiver without the latest video manipulation but with the latest codecs for less than $600 than you can with a "latest and greatest" premium do it all receiver that is $2-4000+.
post #923 of 3826 Old 05-19-2008, 06:59 PM

too bad it does not upscale using HDMI input. just wanted to see if there is an improvement using HDMI from dvd to 2308.

i did a comparison between direct HDMI from dvd to my 50pv70 plasma (50px75 in the US) and component to 2308 then upscaled to 720p or 1080p using HDMI. the faroudja processed video from 2308 was way better. got 2 types of HDMI cables, a 3 meter generic and a 5meter panasonic. test them both direct from dvd to plasma and did not notice any difference. this is just to remove my doubt if the difference was from the cable.

i will try this time to to use HDMI output at 480i (dvd) and let the panny do the upscaling. sometimes it is too tiresome to unplug cables if everything's working fine. but my gut feeling is itching me to try out something for the better.
post #924 of 3826 Old 05-20-2008, 01:18 AM

You're correct. The 2308 and 2808 both have the same video upscaling chip, although neither will upscale analog sources via HDMI.

So the manual is wrong then? It clearly states that you can select upscale the analog signals on page 28. And you can choose resolution between 480p and 1080p.
Isn't this what the faroudja chip does in the 2808?

Så säger Editman!
post #925 of 3826 Old 05-20-2008, 02:59 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by editman View Post

So the manual is wrong then? It clearly states that you can select upscale the analog signals on page 28. And you can choose resolution between 480p and 1080p. Isn't this what the faroudja chip does in the 2808?

The manual states you can select the "output" resolution via HDMI which is correct. I merely confirmed what you stated earlier in that there is no scaling done with HDMI "input".

post #926 of 3826 Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by weng2x View Post

..... sometimes it is too tiresome to unplug cables if everything's working fine.

I agree which is why I let my Panny plasma do the upscaling of SD programming as well via the satellite box with HDMI input.

post #927 of 3826 Old 05-20-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

I agree which is why I let my Panny plasma do the upscaling of SD programming as well via the satellite box with HDMI input.

if you guys have the time, maybe you can compare upscaling using the denon's faroudja (component input at 480i--HDMI out) vs the built-in upscaler of panny plasma using HDMI input at 480i.

i can't do a comparison test at the moment coz im away from home.

faroudja should be better as it's a "popular" video processing chip than the one's installed in the panny plasma, but i could be wrong.
post #928 of 3826 Old 05-21-2008, 02:44 PM

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and to AV receivers. I essentially need some advice and recommendations regarding the above receivers. I have a 50-inch Panasonic TH50PX600U Plasma TV, a Motorola DCH3416 HDDVR from Time Warner Cable, a PS3, and a Wii, all of which I intend on connecting to my system. I have old crappy speakers (but no subwoofer) that I intend to use until I save up to buy a decent set from Definitive Technology.

For many months I was struggling between purchasing either the Denon 2808 or the Yamaha 1800BL, both of which appear to have similar features and were equally priced at $1,199 at my local Best Buy. I chose Best Buy because I already had $500 in Best Buy gift cards that were given to me. Ten days ago I purchase the 2808, mostly because the price had just been reduced to $999, while the Yamaha was $1,149. While I am enjoying the 2808, I am now second-guessing my decision and am wondering whether I should have bought the higher-end Denon 3808 (for $1,599) or the Yamaha. I have 20 days within which to return the 2808 and upgrade to the 3808 for another $600, or switch to the Yamaha.

Is the 3808 worth another $600? Because we use Apple computers at home, I am not very interested in the networking features of the 3808. But the 3808's new GUI, the HDMI to HDMI upconversion capability, and ability to get future firmware upgrades seems valuable. Also, what are the strengths, if any, of the Yamaha over 2808, other than getting another 20 watts per channel?

Whichever receiver I keep or get, I intend on keeping it for many years. Therefore, I want to make a wise decision. Because I only have 20 days to decide, I really appreciate your advice and recommendations as soon as possible. Thanks so much.
post #929 of 3826 Old 05-21-2008, 04:32 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by glozano View Post

Is the 3808 worth another $600? Because we use Apple computers at home, I am not very interested in the networking features of the 3808. But the 3808's new GUI, the HDMI to HDMI upconversion capability, and ability to get future firmware upgrades seems valuable. Also, what are the strengths, if any, of the Yamaha over 2808, other than getting another 20 watts per channel?

I have no clue about the Yamaha, however, the 2808 offers most of what you're looking for in the 3808 (you can do a comparison on the Denon website to check the differences). The 3808 has the same video upscaling chip as the 2808, which does not include HDMI to HDMI. You've got to jump up to the 5308 to get HDMI to HMDI upscaling. Also, firmware upgrades can be done with a RS232 cable on the 2808. Although the 2808 GUI is antiquated, it works just fine to make any changes. Also, considering you have both an HD DVR and the PS3, you probably won't even use the video upscaling capability of the AVR. Personally I find my PS3 and HD DVR do a very comperable job at upscaling to either 1080i (HD DVR) or 1080p (PS3). Based on the differences you provided, I would suggest you stick with the 2808 over the 3808 (although again, no information avail on the Yamaha). You also want to keep in mind that the PS3 will not bitstream the new codecs (e.g HD DTS MA) so you won't be able to take advantage of that feature either in the 2808 or 3808.

Given prices on the AVRs will continue to go down, I would suggest you return the 2808 and wait until you can purchase your new speakers. Why would you want to continue to listen to your "old crappy" speakers with a new AVR? Given that 2/3 of the cost of an audio system should be spent on speakers, I would wait and buy the speakers first and then try out different AVRs to match the speakers.

post #930 of 3826 Old 05-21-2008, 05:01 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post

You should also ask this same question over at the 3808 thread, i'm in the same boat (28 or 38) i would like to see what those folks have to say.

Why? Since you already asked the question in the 3808 thread and got several answers. There's no reason to ask the same question over and over again when it's been asked and answered. Although, I would suggest Glazano read the answers to your question as he'll get his answer as well.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page