post #991 of 3826 Old 06-13-2008, 10:01 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

jdsmoothie, did you notice if the update improved any other areas apart from those listed in the documentation? Just curious if there were some undocumented improvements. Thanks.

After doing another Audyssey setup, looking around the menu, I see no undocumented changes, although as I indicated in my earlier post, without a 7.1 setup, I cannot confirm the 2 new changes.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3826 Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

jdsmoothie, did you notice if the update improved any other areas apart from those listed in the documentation? Just curious if there were some undocumented improvements. Thanks.

I finally figured out how to open the update from DJ. What documentation has the "improved areas" you speak of?

Tony B
post #993 of 3826 Old 06-14-2008, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
guys...I will be very grateful if you can help me out. I have avr 645 from Harman Kardon and was wondering - is Denon 2808 a step up or step down?
Thank you !
post #994 of 3826 Old 06-14-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishairflow View Post

guys...I will be very grateful if you can help me out. I have avr 645 from Harman Kardon and was wondering - is Denon 2808 a step up or step down?
Thank you !

Will you use your receiver to decode the advanced Blu-ray audio formats? The HK AVR-645 HDMI version is only 1.1, so it doesn't support Dolby Digital TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio, which require HDMI 1.3. The Denon AVR-2808CI (almost the same as the AVR-988, which I own) has HDMI 1.3 and supports all of the new Blu-ray audio formats. I'm not supposed to mention prices, so I'll just say that it's on sale this week at Fry's.

The Denon AVR-2808CI/AVR-988 have Audyssey MultEQ XT for room equalization and the HK AVR-645 has EZSet EQ. I'm not familiar with EZSet EQ, but I'm very impressed with Audyssey MultEQ XT. Since I don't know the exact differences between them, I suggest you research them both.
post #995 of 3826 Old 06-14-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ostrow View Post

Will you use your receiver to decode the advanced Blu-ray audio formats? The HK AVR-645 HDMI version is only 1.1, so it doesn't support Dolby Digital TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio, which require HDMI 1.3. The Denon AVR-2808CI (almost the same as the AVR-988, which I own) has HDMI 1.3 and supports all of the new Blu-ray audio formats. I'm not supposed to mention prices, so I'll just say that it's on sale this week at Fry's.

The Denon AVR-2808CI/AVR-988 have Audyssey MultEQ XT for room equalization and the HK AVR-645 has EZSet EQ. I'm not familiar with EZSet EQ, but I'm very impressed with Audyssey MultEQ XT. Since I don't know the exact differences between them, I suggest you research them both.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Well - I just realized that I made a dumb mistake. I actually have AVR 635.
I have a PS3 which I will be using as a DVD/BlueRay player. So I guess yes I will be using it for HD audio.
post #996 of 3826 Old 06-14-2008, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

After doing another Audyssey setup, looking around the menu, I see no undocumented changes, although as I indicated in my earlier post, without a 7.1 setup, I cannot confirm the 2 new changes.

Thanks, I was just fishing to see if they tweaked anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

I finally figured out how to open the update from DJ. What documentation has the "improved areas" you speak of?

The documentation that came with the update.
post #997 of 3826 Old 06-15-2008, 01:07 AM

hey guys.....just got the 2808 and I am playing a cd - but I can't seem to change any parameters - on the screen it just says multi-channel in.
Is this expected? I can't seem to get the dolby digital or any other mode...
thanks for your help guys.
post #998 of 3826 Old 06-15-2008, 06:15 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

hey guys.....just got the 2808 and I am playing a cd - but I can't seem to change any parameters - on the screen it just says multi-channel in.

What device are you using to play the CD? Most likely you've got it set to PCM, letting the CD player do the decoding. Depending on the player, set it to bitstream which will allow the 2808 to do the decoding.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #999 of 3826 Old 06-15-2008, 06:38 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Thank you for the prompt reply. Well - I just realized that I made a dumb mistake. I actually have AVR 635.
I have a PS3 which I will be using as a DVD/BlueRay player. So I guess yes I will be using it for HD audio.

Although the 635 was highly rated for it's time (2005), it is clearly outdated in the way of technology (eg. no HDMI inputs or advanced codec processing). As Doc suggested, your best bet is to research and determine what AVR has all the features you require, especially any futureproof requirements you want. Keep in mind though that since you are using a PS3 (which does all the lossless decoding and sends LPCM over HDMI) you do not need a receiver with decoders like the 2808, just one that will accept LPCM via HDMI.

"JD" –

post #1000 of 3826 Old 06-15-2008, 08:56 AM

Thank you for the prompt reply !
On PS3 I changed it to bitstream and that fixed the problem. However, I found out something new.
I have comcast digital cable connected via HDMI to the Receiver. Now while I watch TV - I can't change parameters. It allows me to only watch in DolbyPII. Can't switch between movie/music/neo etc.

And lastly, this one is really is a disappointment - The subwoofer sounds like it has no power at all. I have def tech supercube one. I ran the auto-setup a couple of times. But no difference. I changed the gain on the receiver (from 0 to 6) and still it can't seem to peform the way it did with HK !
post #1001 of 3826 Old 06-15-2008, 06:44 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I have comcast digital cable connected via HDMI to the Receiver. Now while I watch TV - I can't change parameters. It allows me to only watch in DolbyPII. Can't switch between movie/music/neo etc.

And lastly, this one is really is a disappointment - The subwoofer sounds like it has no power at all. I have def tech supercube one. I ran the auto-setup a couple of times. But no difference. I changed the gain on the receiver (from 0 to 6) and still it can't seem to peform the way it did with HK !

Might be a setting somewhere. I connect my STB to the 2808 via an optical cable and have no problem changing the available parameters. The auto-setup sets my sub at about -4.0 which I then have to increase to about 0 (using Def Tech BP7006). Again, might be a setting somewhere as there should be a noticable gain setting the sub to +6.0. I'd check with Denon if you haven't already.

"JD" –

post #1002 of 3826 Old 06-16-2008, 04:32 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by denonowner View Post

Yes, probably you are right. I just thought that it's on all denons... Anyway, if somebody has silver case denon please replay if the case has plastic sheet on it's top.

If the plastic sheet is blocking vents on the AVR, as it appears to be, it needs to be removed, otherwise the AVR will overheat; it may not fail right away, but it will probably have a shorter lifespan.
post #1003 of 3826 Old 06-16-2008, 06:57 PM

Question on the 2808 - I was wondering if Zone 2 had amplified outputs, so that I can connect a pair of outdoor speakers to it and have a separate audio source playing over it while I watch TV in zone 1.

I thought this was the case, but I downloaded the manual and it seems to suggest that you need to connect another amplifier in order for zone 2 to play a separate source from zone 1. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance - trying to decide between this and an NAD T755 which does not have an amplified zone 2.
post #1004 of 3826 Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moTAP View Post

Question on the 2808 - I was wondering if Zone 2 had amplified outputs, so that I can connect a pair of outdoor speakers to it and have a separate audio source playing over it while I watch TV in zone 1.

I thought this was the case, but I downloaded the manual and it seems to suggest that you need to connect another amplifier in order for zone 2 to play a separate source from zone 1. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance - trying to decide between this and an NAD T755 which does not have an amplified zone 2.

Zone 2 can be amplified if you only have 5.1 in zone 1. Zone 2 can use the unused amplifiers that would normally power the extra surround back speakers in 7.1.
post #1005 of 3826 Old 06-17-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:

Try plugging stereo RCA jacks from the L/R CD outputs into the 2808's CD Audio stereo inputs. You are using the multi-channel inputs that normally are only used for SACD or DVD-A.
post #1006 of 3826 Old 06-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownRB View Post

Zone 2 can be amplified if you only have 5.1 in zone 1. Zone 2 can use the unused amplifiers that would normally power the extra surround back speakers in 7.1.

Speaking of Zone 2, I have a question. I have an OPPO HDMI switcher input to my DVD input of the Denon. An A2 HD-DVD and a Blu Ray Samsung 1500 are into the switcher. HDMI TV input on the Denon is used by an Direct TV HDR.(that uses up the 2 denon inputs)
Zone 2 video/audio works fine with the directv(set at 1080i) and with the A2. Both are 1080i(obviously). I figured the Samsung doesn't work because it is 1080p, but I'm not sure that is the exact reason why. My main head banger is my DVD/vcr recorder-Samsung 157 is into the Denon with Component cables and optical audio. It also won't work for zone 2? (set at 480i or p)

I have Video Convert set to "on" for all inputs. I have scaler to A to H.
My understanding of the manual seems to suggest the HDMI cannot be converted to anything (such as my composite output of zone 2).Why does the A2 work? Regardless, I get no video or audio with the BD player via HDMI or DVD rec with component/optical. Given the Toshiba works for zone 2, I don't know what the hell is going on. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony B
post #1007 of 3826 Old 06-19-2008, 05:55 PM
585-645-1006

I have not used Zone 2 before, however, it could be a setting that is off somewhere (probably in your individual players that are not working correctly rather than the Denon which is often the case). Double check to make sure all input settings are correct on the Denon as well though. I doubt it has something to do with the resolution (1080i vs. 1080p).

"JD" –

post #1008 of 3826 Old 06-20-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the prompt reply !
On PS3 I changed it to bitstream and that fixed the problem. However, I found out something new.

Are your mains and center set to large ? If so change them to small and set your crossover to 80hz. That should get you plenty of LFE
post #1009 of 3826 Old 06-20-2008, 05:22 PM

Hello there,

I plan on purchasing the Denon 2808 soon and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could get a good deal online Please PM me if you have specifics on what a good deal might be

Thanks!
post #1010 of 3826 Old 06-20-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeD View Post

Hello there,

I plan on purchasing the Denon 2808 soon and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could get a good deal online Please PM me if you have specifics on what a good deal might be

Thanks!

http://www.6ave.com/shop/home.aspx Got mine there for $699 months ago, if I remember correctly. Whatever I paid it was much lower than any other authorized dealer and even many gray-market dealers.

I should add that it was a promotional price but I have heard that people got that price out of the promotional period just by asking for it and mentioning avs forum.

rcp
post #1011 of 3826 Old 06-21-2008, 01:06 PM

Geezz...No one wants to negotiate on the 2808 price very much. Surprising since the 2808 will be replaced in a few weeks.

6th Ave has a special on the 2808, but not as special as the price above and they would not budge.

My local Denon dealer would not budge either...

good thing I am not a salesperson

any forum sponsers sell Denon?
post #1012 of 3826 Old 06-21-2008, 06:48 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeD View Post

any forum sponsers sell Denon?

The authorized on-line vendors are listed on Denon's website. Why not just call them and find out their best price. Current prices are already well below MSRP (which many folks have already paid).

"JD" –

post #1013 of 3826 Old 06-22-2008, 10:13 AM

Let me start by saying that I perceive the quality of my equipment purchase by looking and listening so numbers only play one part of the decision. I bought the avr-988 at CC for a very good price. One of the reasons I choosed the avr-988 was the upscaling DCDI but after testing at home it's not very good. The second reason is the new audio which is great. So the question I have is the Denon avr-988 superior to the other brands when it comes to the parts inside the receiver making it worth the extra money? If not I think I can get the audio for less money. Thanks in advance.
post #1014 of 3826 Old 06-22-2008, 06:23 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldman View Post

Let me start by saying that I perceive the quality of my equipment purchase by looking and listening so numbers only play one part of the decision. I bought the avr-988 at CC for a very good price. One of the reasons I choosed the avr-988 was the upscaling DCDI but after testing at home it's not very good. The second reason is the new audio which is great. So the question I have is the Denon avr-988 superior to the other brands when it comes to the parts inside the receiver making it worth the extra money? If not I think I can get the audio for less money. Thanks in advance.

Although part of my reason to purchase the 2808 for was for it's 1080p upscaling ability; however, after setting it up I quickly found that it does no better a job then my DirecTV HD DVR (1080i). Additionally, what the PS3 can do with SD DVDs is nothing short of phenominal. I now only use the 2808 for it's audio capability.

"JD" –

post #1015 of 3826 Old 06-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Is it normal for the receiver volume to be in the -13db range for it to be decent sound level. Imo that's really high, but it seems that's the only range with acceptable sound volume. Anything above -28 is inaudible.

I used the Audessy thing to set it up and i have B&W 603 speakers.
post #1016 of 3826 Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Although part of my reason to purchase the 2808 for was for it's 1080p upscaling ability; however, after setting it up I quickly found that it does no better a job then my DirecTV HD DVR (1080i). Additionally, what the PS3 can do with SD DVDs is nothing short of phenominal. I now only use the 2808 for it's audio capability.

So do you think other less costly AVR's can do the job with the audio? I have two weeks to decide if I'm going to keep this or not.
post #1017 of 3826 Old 06-23-2008, 03:29 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni View Post

Is it normal for the receiver volume to be in the -13db range for it to be decent sound level. Imo that's really high, but it seems that's the only range with acceptable sound volume. Anything above -28 is inaudible.

I used the Audessy thing to set it up and i have B&W 603 speakers.

Something is definitely wrong. I play my PS3 games at -50 (granted I'm only 4' away in my game chair), regular TV movies about -30, and for DVD/BD's about -20. Going much below -10 would rock the house and wake up the neighborhood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldman View Post

So do you think other less costly AVR's can do the job with the audio? I have two weeks to decide if I'm going to keep this or not.

Selection of an AVR is more a personal choice depending on the speakers you have, which is why it's generally suggested you get the speakers you want first and then start demoing AVRs as they will tend to play differently. Your best bet is to do the research and determine what you really need in an AVR. My point is that I would not select the 988/2808 primarily for their ability to upscale to 1080p, especially if you have a cable/satellite box that can already upscale to 1080i.

"JD" –

post #1018 of 3826 Old 06-23-2008, 04:06 PM

Is there a way to have the 2808 pass the audio thru to the TV using HDMI from source to AVR to TV?

Not that I want to do this but a friend does (Onkyo 606) and I have not been able to do it on the 2808.

Glad to see this thread is still alive.

Thanks,
post #1019 of 3826 Old 06-23-2008, 04:48 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsmith View Post

Is there a way to have the 2808 pass the audio thru to the TV using HDMI from source to AVR to TV?

Not that I want to do this but a friend does (Onkyo 606) and I have not been able to do it on the 2808.

Glad to see this thread is still alive.

Thanks,

Yes there is. See the owner's manual, p. 12. "Connecting the Monitor"

Manual Setup - HDMI Setup - HDMI Audio Setup - TV

"JD" –

post #1020 of 3826 Old 06-24-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Yes there is. See the owner's manual, p. 12. "Connecting the Monitor"

Manual Setup - HDMI Setup - HDMI Audio Setup - TV

JD, Thank you I will give that a try and then see if his 606 has similiar settings.

You continue to be an excellent source for the 2808, Thank you !
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2808ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page