Old 07-07-2008, 04:32 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2078 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth F. View Post

I can get that price if i buy a tv. I'm looking at getting a Samsung 67" LED for $1950 total price and i can get a 2808 with it for a additional $499. I still deciding if i should wait to get the tv.

I want to wait to get a samsung LED with a darkchip 4, but that's if they come out. I got a feeling Samsung is going to drop there rptv soon, like sony did. Sony really burned me on the XBR5. I was supposed to get a free PS3 but they cancelled my tv. From all the people I talk to the major chains are giving rptv less space.

I'm just wondering if the 2808 worth $499 with only 2 HDMI conections.

The Samsung gets good reviews and that's just abit above the current best price on it. Anything less than $800 is a good price on the 2808, however, the question really should be whether the Samsung and 2808 both offer what you want, as a 3-to-1 HDMI switcher can be had for under $100 from forum sponsors Oppo or Monoprice.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 04:35 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadam View Post

Need help please.....

I just ran through the set up but I get no sound and no video. I am running HDMI from my Directv box to the HDP input and HDMI from my Bluray to the DVD input. Also I am only getting faint sound from my sub when I turn up the volume when in tuner mode. No other sound from any of the other speakers.
I've read through the manual over and over but cannot figure it out. Thanks for any help out there.

If you've followed the setup instructions and Input menus you should be good to go. Hard to provide help based on the info you've supplied. Providing all the setup menus that you changed would help.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 07-07-2008, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I understand I didn't give much info in first post. I did talk with Denon CS and he had me do a microprocessor reset which brought the picture back. The sound however is very weak and after a couple of more minutes of talk with him, he suggested I bring the unit back as he thought it was defective.
A couple of other questions/isssues...
When switching between Sat and Bluray, the screen came up totally green. I had to turn the player off and then back on to get good video.
When going through the Audyssey set up, once it's through is there any more set up of the speakers to do? i.e. set the volume levels.
And lastly, what would be considered an average listening level, db on the display, when watching a regular program on TV? The Denon rep said around 30 db was considered an average listening level.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:45 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I understand I didn't give much info in first post. I did talk with Denon CS and he had me do a microprocessor reset which brought the picture back. The sound however is very weak and after a couple of more minutes of talk with him, he suggested I bring the unit back as he thought it was defective.

I would agree from what you've described that it is defective and you should return it.

Quote:

A couple of other questions/isssues...
When switching between Sat and Bluray, the screen came up totally green. I had to turn the player off and then back on to get good video.

You obviously should not have to do this. Although it might take a few seconds for the handshake to complete, you clearly have a defective unit for sure.

Quote:

When going through the Audyssey set up, once it's through is there any more set up of the speakers to do? i.e. set the volume levels.

You'll most likely have to increase the SUB setting as Audyssey does a poor job with setting it correctly. Otherwise, the other speakers should be fine although personal preference always prevails.

Quote:

And lastly, what would be considered an average listening level, db on the display, when watching a regular program on TV? The Denon rep said around 30 db was considered an average listening level.

You mean -30db .... which sounds about right. I listen to PS3 games at -50db and TV at -30db to -20db (action movie). I cannot go above -10db or I would blow out the house! I set the speaker max level at 0db so as not to clip the speaker output. If you have weak speaker output at -30db, that is clearly another indicator of a defective unit providing everything is setup and wired correctly.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You mean -30db .... which sounds about right. I listen to PS3 games at -50db and TV at -30db to -20db (action movie). I cannot go above -10db or I would blow out the house! I set the speaker max level at 0db so as not to clip the speaker output. If you have weak speaker output at -30db, that is clearly another indicator of a defective unit providing everything is setup and wired correctly.

That's interesting. I watch TV at -20 normally and depending on the movie somewhere in the -12 - -18 range. -50 is not audible. At work it's about the same.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:28 AM

If anyone is still looking for the AVR-988 for a great deal in Canada, go to Futureshop. They no longer have it listed on their website, or set up in store, but they just got 125 more in stock at their warehouse in Mississauga, and have a handful kicking around in store warehouses that you can get via a store to store transfer.
They don't list them, but they are still on for $799.99 as they are trying to clear them out for the AVR-989.

I finally am getting mine today, after 4 weeks of headaches from them. I bought it while the sale was still advertised, and then was told they didn't have any in stock, so it took 4 weeks, 3 sales reps, and numerous calls and visits to the store, but I finally got things straightened out, and now that they have them back in stock in the warehouse, they may reappear on the webpage, so if you are looking for a great price on the AVR-988 from an authorized Canadian Dealer, go see them.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:39 PM
585-645-1006

I checked Canada's authorized vendors and Futureshop is not listed. I would not suggest buying from an unauthorized vendor unless you've purchased an extended warranty that begins the day you buy it.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM

JD,

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions, it's much appreciated.

I must be going through a streak of bad luck as my HDDVR bit the dust the same day I tried to run the setup on my Denon.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post

That's interesting. I watch TV at -20 normally and depending on the movie somewhere in the -12 - -18 range. -50 is not audible. At work it's about the same.

+1 with Denon 987...

<><

RTR
Old 07-09-2008, 04:07 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post

Some games are much louder than others (Warhawk) and going above -40 would be way too loud to carry on a conversation nearby, however, I have the Denon start up at -50 which is more than audible when sitting about 4' from the display for gaming. It also keeps the kids from playing their games too loudly as they have been told not to mess with the volume once the Denon turns on. I turn it up for TV and movies.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:08 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

JD,

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions, it's much appreciated.

I must be going through a streak of bad luck as my HDDVR bit the dust the same day I tried to run the setup on my Denon.

I went through 3 HD DVRs the first day DirecTV came to install it, although the current one has been going for about 9 months now.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:

I checked Canada's authorized vendors and Futureshop is not listed. I would not suggest buying from an unauthorized vendor unless you've purchased an extended warranty that begins the day you buy it.

Hmm, Denon really needs to overhaul their entire site then, because Futureshop has been an authorized Denon Dealer for 2+ Years according to Denon Technical Support.

First impressions of the receiver VS. my old Harman Kardon AVR-235. WOW!
The Clarity and fidelity of the channels is amazing, and the channels provide a much wider soundscape then the HK ever could. I actually noticed that I had rear speakers while going through some setup tests with Fast And The Furious.

The setup was a pain in is A**, but now that I finally have all of the inputs correctly assigned and labled, now it is just a matter of reprogramming my Hamony 880 to control it all. If it wasn't for my Harmony I would most likely have thrown the Denon Remote through the TV. What kind of a backwards Designer did the OSD Setup. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out you needed to press the left soft key to advance in the menu's. Any other menu I have ever dealt with it is either the enter button or the right button to move further into a sub menu or select an option, but I guess Denon had to be unique LOL.

The Options presented within the menu can be very confusing until the menu is read, then the options available to you are nearly endless.

After fighting with Futureshop for almost a month to get my 988 I ended up getting it for $699 +Tax so For the pricepoint I would love to see another receiver that can belly up to the Denon.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:21 AM

So I just picked up the Denon 988 (the Canada version of the 2808) and I have some questions...

I have the following setup:
Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray player -- direct to receiver's HDMI1 input
Sony DVP-NS975 Upscaling DVD player -- to Octava HDMI switch -- to receiver HDMI2 input
Motorola DCT6416 DVR -- to Octava HDMI switch -- to receiver

I have several setup related questions.

1) I mapped the DVD source to HDMI2 input and the HDP source (renamed Blu-ray) to HDMI1. I can't for the life of me actually get to the HDP source using the remote. There is only one button on the remote, labelled DVD/HDP. Pressing it only goes to the DVD source. What do I need to do?

2) Since I have the HDMI switch to handle the DVR and DVD player, is there a way to assign the same HDMI input to two different sources? Any better recommendations for setting things up?

3) I get a lot of flickering when switching sources for about 15 seconds. Is this normal? When switching sources, it takes about 5 seconds or more for anything to display, then flickers to black immediately, then video comes on for a few more seconds, then flickers to black again.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Some games are much louder than others (Warhawk) and going above -40 would be way too loud to carry on a conversation nearby, however, I have the Denon start up at -50 which is more than audible when sitting about 4' from the display for gaming. It also keeps the kids from playing their games too loudly as they have been told not to mess with the volume once the Denon turns on. I turn it up for TV and movies.

What speakers are you using?

<><

RTR
Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Smith View Post

So I just picked up the Denon 988 (the Canada version of the 2808) and I have some questions...

I have the following setup:
Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray player -- direct to receiver's HDMI1 input
Sony DVP-NS975 Upscaling DVD player -- to Octava HDMI switch -- to receiver HDMI2 input
Motorola DCT6416 DVR -- to Octava HDMI switch -- to receiver

I have several setup related questions.

1) I mapped the DVD source to HDMI2 input and the HDP source (renamed Blu-ray) to HDMI1. I can't for the life of me actually get to the HDP source using the remote. There is only one button on the remote, labelled DVD/HDP. Pressing it only goes to the DVD source. What do I need to do?

2) Since I have the HDMI switch to handle the DVR and DVD player, is there a way to assign the same HDMI input to two different sources? Any better recommendations for setting things up?

3) I get a lot of flickering when switching sources for about 15 seconds. Is this normal? When switching sources, it takes about 5 seconds or more for anything to display, then flickers to black immediately, then video comes on for a few more seconds, then flickers to black again.

Thanks!

The 988 is actually just the Big Box (Best Buy, CC, etc) version of the 2808 rather than it being exclusive to Canada. Although the same for the most part, there are a few differences (eg. no 3rd zone, and a different remote, as well as no 2nd remote for Zones 2 and 3).

1. DVD/HDP on the remote is referring to the DVD or another HDP and not actually two different sources. One way to solve your problem is to just map the Blu-Ray to another unused digital source (eg. SAT).
2. You should be able to just assign HDMI2 to each unique source (eg. DVD and DVR).
3. My understanding is that it can be quite confusing for the AVR with multiple HDMI sources feeding into a single HDMI input, so yes, the flickering is expected from what others have said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAVADER View Post

What speakers are you using?

Def Tech 7006 Front/Right (w/powered subwoofer)
Def Tech CLR 2002 Center

Old 07-09-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:

1. DVD/HDP on the remote is referring to the DVD or another HDP and not actually two different sources. One way to solve your problem is to just map the Blu-Ray to another unused digital source (eg. SAT).

Ah. It's weird that they lead you (in the manual and with labeling) to use the HDP source, but then the remote doesn't have a way to select that source. Weird, eh?
Quote:

2. You should be able to just assign HDMI2 to each unique source (eg. DVD and DVR).

When I assign HDMI2 to two different sources, it resets the first source I assigned HDMI2 to none. Ideas?
Quote:

3. My understanding is that it can be quite confusing for the AVR with multiple HDMI sources feeding into a single HDMI input, so yes, the flickering is expected from what others have said.

Disappointing, but not a deal breaker. My TV only has one HDMI input, so somewhere in the line has to be the switch unless I want to run something component. Don't really want to pull the unit out from the wall again.

As an unrelated question, how do people handle different video settings for the TV and different players when everything is coming in on the same input source?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:59 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

When I assign HDMI2 to two different sources, it resets the first source I assigned HDMI2 to none. Ideas?

As an unrelated question, how do people handle different video settings for the TV and different players when everything is coming in on the same input source?

Thanks for the reply.

I blew my earlier response based on what I thought I had learned awhile back.
The DVD and HDP inputs can each be selected with the DVD/HDP button on the remote. First press gets DVD and second press gets HDP. Make sure both sources are ON in the options menu.

Also, you are correct in that you can apparently only assign HDMI1 or HDMI2 to a single source. Does the Sony upscaler really do a better job than the Blu-Ray player? If not, get rid of it and that solves your extra HDMI problem. Otherwise, I would suggest you map the Motorola to DVR and HDMI 1, and the Blu-Ray and Sony to "DVD" only and HDMI2. You won't be able to calibrate the TV for each input, however, until you upgrade to a HDTV with more HDMI inputs, this setup will have to do.

I'm not sure what you're asking regarding the TV handling various resolutions from each source. Depending on the type HDTV you have, regardless of the input 480p, 720p, or 1080i/1080p, it should display anything input to it in the resolution of the HDTV, either 720p if it's a 720p set or 1080i/p if it's a 1080i/1080p set. As long as your set can handle up to 1080p, it doesn't matter what the incoming resolution is, otherwise you'll have to set the Panasonic to output your HDTV's maximum acceptable (eg. 720p or 1080i).

Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:

I blew my earlier response based on what I thought I had learned awhile back.
The DVD and HDP inputs can each be selected with the DVD/HDP button on the remote. First press gets DVD and second press gets HDP. Make sure both sources are ON in the options menu.

I've tried that and, unfortunately, it doesn't work. The second press just switches to the DVD input again. The only way I have found to switch to the HDP input is to use the source select knob on the receiver itself.[/quote]
Quote:

Also, you are correct in that you can apparently only assign HDMI1 or HDMI2 to a single source. Does the DVD upscaler really do a better job than the Blu-Ray player? If not, get rid of it and that solves your extra HDMI problem. Otherwise, I would suggest you map the Motorola to DVR and HDMI 1, and the Blu-Ray and upscaling DVD player to "DVD" only and HDMI2.

The DVD player I have definitely upscales better than the Blu-ray player. I may live with the weird labeling and just give one of the devices an inaccurate source name for now.
Quote:

Depending on the type HDTV you have, regardless of the input 480p, 720p, or 1080i/1080p, it should display anything input to it in the resolution of the HDTV, either 720p or 1080i/p. Not really sure if that's what you were asking though.

Actually, what I was asking about was this: Say, for example, you have a DVD player whose output is different (green push, black crushing, etc.) and the ISF calibrator has set up a specific adjusted setting on the TV to account for that. Those settings are usually stored as part of the input mode's memory. When using only one input on the TV, it becomes nearly impossible to maintain a calibration for all of your various sources.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 07-09-2008, 11:34 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I've tried that and, unfortunately, it doesn't work. The second press just switches to the DVD input again. The only way I have found to switch to the HDP input is to use the source select knob on the receiver itself.

It works for me using the remote. Strange it works with the knob but not the remote for you.

Quote:

Actually, what I was asking about was this: Say, for example, you have a DVD player whose output is different (green push, black crushing, etc.) and the ISF calibrator has set up a specific adjusted setting on the TV to account for that. Those settings are usually stored as part of the input mode's memory. When using only one input on the TV, it becomes nearly impossible to maintain a calibration for all of your various sources.

Gotcha. I agree with your statement. Might be time to pony up for a new HDTV.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:

It works for me using the remote. Strange it works with the knob but not the remote for you.

Gotcha. I agree with your statement. Might be time to pony up for a new HDTV.

Yeah, very strange. Do you have the 2808 or the 988? If you have the 2808, maybe it's just the difference in remotes? Ultimately I will be programming my Harmony remote to handle everything, so this may be a worthless exercise (unless the problem is on the receiver end).

Yeah, I want to get a new TV once I find one less than $5000 that matches the picture quality of my good 'ole Sony 34" XBR960 CRT.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Yeah, very strange. Do you have the 2808 or the 988? If you have the 2808, maybe it's just the difference in remotes? Ultimately I will be programming my Harmony remote to handle everything, so this may be a worthless exercise (unless the problem is on the receiver end).

Yeah, I want to get a new TV once I find one less than $5000 that matches the picture quality of my good 'ole Sony 34" XBR960 CRT.

I have the 2808, and yes, you could be right as they use different remotes.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quick change of subject--Firmware update.

On another thread regarding Blu Ray Players and various audio dropouts that different brands have had via HDMI (and it seems to be the bitstream, not LPCM), it is now becoming theorized that it may be the various AVR's and one guy said after he updated his 3808, he no longer had audio dropouts. I was wondering if anyone knew if the 2808 firmware update that Denon Jeff had passed on does anything for audio drops or even if that thinking is viable?

Tony B
Old 07-10-2008, 04:57 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

Quick change of subject--Firmware update.

On another thread regarding Blu Ray Players and various audio dropouts that different brands have had via HDMI (and it seems to be the bitstream, not LPCM), it is now becoming theorized that it may be the various AVR's and one guy said after he updated his 3808, he no longer had audio dropouts. I was wondering if anyone knew if the 2808 firmware update that Denon Jeff had passed on does anything for audio drops or even if that thinking is viable?

To get a direct answer I would suggest PMing DenonJeff as the information he put out previously did not address audio dropout issues. I've done the firmware update, however, have a PS3 and therefore everything is PCM. I have had no audio dropout issues for the past 10 months, although you indicated the problem appears to be with bitstream BD players.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Thinking of grabbing a 988 before they aren't available.

Can I get a quick summary of all the bugs with this model, if any?

Also does the 988 pass 1920X1080 24p over HDMI?
Old 07-13-2008, 04:43 AM

I am using my PS3 as my Blu Ray player and have the HDMI cable running to a Denon 2808 receiver, which then goes to my amps through the analog outs (using the Denon as a Pre-amp). When watching 3:10 to Yuma (BR) and all the associated previews....some of the preview's audio did not work. When some of the previews came on, I could hear the Denon click and then there would be no audio, but still have video. Then another preview would come on and then the audio would come back on. My theory is that when a preview's audio was 2 ch, then the signal did not pass through to the amps for some reason, while if the preview and movie was multi-channel, then it passed through fine. (the movie sounded awesome by the way)

I have the audio selected as LPCM on the PS3, but was wondering if you all had any other thoughts on the Denon set-up that may have caused this.

Any help?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Killer deal on the 988 at CC right now.
I may actually pick one of these up to use as a Pre/Pro.

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
Old 07-13-2008, 10:18 AM

Just saw the great CC deal. I have an AVR788 from CC and am highly tempted to return it for the 988 as I'm within the 30 day window.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:19 PM

So now I'm thinking of rewiring the setup and moving my HDMI switch from in front of the receiver to the other side of the receiver.

Blu-ray player: Direct into receiver, then receiver into the HDMI switch, then into TV. Audio handled over HDMI by the receiver.
DVD player: Also direct into receiver, then receiver into the HDMI switch, then into TV. Audio handled over HDMI by the receiver.
DVR:Skip the receiver, instead going direct to the HDMI switch and then to the TV. Audio goes to receiver via optical.
Apple TV:Skip the receiver, instead going direct to the HDMI switch and then to the TV. Audio goes to receiver via optical.
Squeezebox:No video needed. Audio via coax to the receiver as well as analog to the receiver.

Any problems with this many links in the chain? Specifically I am worried about handshake issues and number of links with the HDMI switch between the receiver and the TV, especially as it may affect the Blu-ray quality. Anyone do something like this with their setup?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

I'm a few hours away from pulling the trigger on this, can anyone give me a quick answer to this?

Does the 988 pass 1080p 24fps over HDMI?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstate View Post

I'm a few hours away from pulling the trigger on this, can anyone give me a quick answer to this?

Does the 988 pass 1080p 24fps over HDMI?

Yes, it does and beautifully

Buy and Enjoy - it is a great receiver. If you want home network built-in, go for 48xx series. I have seen it on the Ebay for ~ USD$800.

Nikonowski

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver