The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3844 Old 10-05-2007, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also ordered one over the phone at 6ave. "Frank" honored the deal and said I'd receive an order confirmation in a couple days. I looked into 6ave and considered the fact they are Denon authorized and have a 97% satisfaction rating, so I'm hoping it will work out. I had it shipped to a friend in Michigan to keep free shipping and insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3844 Old 10-05-2007, 02:38 PM

I'm returning my unit to crutchfield as soon as I get my 6ave unit.

It's too good a deal to pass up; $400 will go a long way towards a nice HSU sub
post #93 of 3844 Old 10-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

I got a follow up call from the Supervisor of esales about the transaction. He thanked me for my business, asked how well I was treated, etc. and said my unit will be shipped Monday. Sounds good so far.

Tony B
post #94 of 3844 Old 10-05-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyus View Post

It has the regular GUI (basic text menus) ...I think only the 3808ci and above have the new one.

According to their manual...it says that:

On-Screen Display for Component Video Outputs and HDMI Output

*When viewing HDMI or component video signals via the AVR-2808CI, the on-screen display appears when the MENU button or the main control unit's PARA button is operated.

*When only HDMI or component video signals are input to the AVR-2808CI, the characters of the on-screen display are not displayed over the picture.

When I get mine set up, I'll take a pic of it.

So this is very confusing, I've read that over and over and I'm still not sure what it means, can it display the OSD over HDMI or not?
post #95 of 3844 Old 10-05-2007, 06:04 PM

OK I'm a noob so bear with me,

I have a 988.
I have an Xbox360, PVR, and a computer hooked up to it.
The Xbox, pvr, and computer all use Optical audio inputs, not coax.
I also have the Xbox and PVR connected to component in.

I want to make the 988 use a component in Video and an unassociated audio.

eg.
to play Xbox, I have it connected to Component 1 (DVD) and the optical in goes to OPT 1 (SAT). How do I force the Denon to always associate SAT audio with DVD video?
post #96 of 3844 Old 10-05-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrrD View Post

So this is very confusing, I've read that over and over and I'm still not sure what it means, can it display the OSD over HDMI or not?

With HDMI to the TV, it displays the menu with a black background (no TV picture underneath). Sound is unaffected. If I run video or sVideo to the TV, the menu displays on top of the TV display. I didn't try component video to the TV.
post #97 of 3844 Old 10-05-2007, 09:28 PM
xwl

So I picked up a AVR-988 today and Fantastic 4 Silver Surfer Blu-ray which has DTS HD Master Audio. 988 supports DTS HD Master Audio - but all I can get is regular DTS or DD. The DTS HD indicator never lights up.

I'm using PS3, I tried bitstream and LPCM.

Any ideas?
post #98 of 3844 Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Not a expert on this, but I think PS3 converts those high resolution audio formats within and passes them as LPCM out of the digital port. Only a couple of players pass these new formats and I think it is only through HDMI(at least 1.2)

Tony B
post #99 of 3844 Old 10-06-2007, 01:18 PM

Thanks to all of the previous posts, you produced the final convincing arguments for purchasing the 2808 CI. Moreover, with a little coaxing, I was able to get Frank at 6ave to honor the DEN798 code, i.e., $798; so those of you who have not made the leap, call quickly. 877-684-2831. No shipping, no tax, 2 yr Denon warranty, delivery in 7-10 days via DHL!
post #100 of 3844 Old 10-06-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfcoach View Post

Thanks to all of the previous posts, you produced the final convincing arguments for purchasing the 2808 CI. Moreover, with a little coaxing, I was able to get Frank at 6ave to honor the DEN798 code, i.e., $798; so those of you who have not made the leap, call quickly. 877-684-2831. No shipping, no tax, 2 yr Denon warranty, delivery in 7-10 days via DHL!

Welcome to the forum. Hope to get mine the end of next week.
post #101 of 3844 Old 10-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfcoach View Post

I bet you ill have it sooner than 7-10 days, I ordered Oct 3rd and it will be here in Virginia Monday!

CHAS ZOSS OPPO EAP 2nd ROUND late entry!
post #102 of 3844 Old 10-07-2007, 06:49 PM

Well, I just joined the club! I was able to get J and R to pricematch after forwarding them the email. Can't wait!
post #103 of 3844 Old 10-07-2007, 08:00 PM

Congrats! I can't wait to get mine.
post #104 of 3844 Old 10-07-2007, 08:00 PM

How about some more new user reviews.
post #105 of 3844 Old 10-08-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

I just ordered the Denon 2808CI from 6ave and used the promotion code. Thanks for the link. I spoke with David and he said it should be here in three days.

Has anyone hooked up a Toshiba HD-A35 to this AVR yet?
post #106 of 3844 Old 10-08-2007, 09:16 AM

Just got my 2808CI replacement from 6ave and I am now sending my old one back to crutchfield for a $400 profit.

I feel bad making crutchfield go through all the legwork of dealing with the return; but then again I understand they just are not willing/cannot match that price and I'm glad their customer service is as good as it is.

Now if only I toss in $100 I'll be enjoying a VTF-2 MK III
post #107 of 3844 Old 10-08-2007, 10:17 AM

I just called J&R and got the same deal as well (athough I had to pay tax because I'm in NY). Just a note, I sat on the phone waiting for 6ave to pick up for a few minutes, got annoyed and called J&R. Much quicker response for what it's worth.

If you want to save some time waiting for them to confirm, see if you can get Dan Figueroa on the phone since he just worked through this with me and now knows about the price match.

Thanks all for the heads up on this. It made it easy to pull the trigger.
post #108 of 3844 Old 10-08-2007, 04:04 PM

Ordered mine on the the 5th, this will be my first A/V receiver, I am slowly building my theater ( Klipsch RF 82 system, Philips 47" LCD.. more to come soon.) I was really torn between the Onkyo 805 (many features, suspect heat and audio pops), Yamaha 1800 ( hit hard on the highs with the Klipsch, average video, but great build quality) Or the Denon 2808 (seems to be the best quality and had the least con's going for it in my pro's and con's notes, that is over two pages long with all of these receivers.). This deal thru 6ave helped me decide. Hope Frank comes thru, I have an order confirmation
but no Tracking Number.
post #109 of 3844 Old 10-08-2007, 04:12 PM

Just purchased my new Samsung 4671. Next step is the AMP and the speakers.

For some reason, my wife doesn't see the importance of home theater and wants to ensure that we won't always have to have all of the speakers on to watch TV. So is it possible to bypass the surround sound speakers and just use the TV speakers for things such as the news, etc?
post #110 of 3844 Old 10-08-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chub View Post

Ordered mine on the the 5th, this will be my first A/V receiver, I am slowly building my theater ( Klipsch RF 82 system, Philips 47" LCD.. more to come soon.) I was really torn between the Onkyo 805 (many features, suspect heat and audio pops), Yamaha 1800 ( hit hard on the highs with the Klipsch, average video, but great build quality) Or the Denon 2808 (seems to be the best quality and had the least con's going for it in my pro's and con's notes, that is over two pages long with all of these receivers.). This deal thru 6ave helped me decide. Hope Frank comes thru, I have an order confirmation
but no Tracking Number.

+1. Still shows processing. Fingers crossed.
post #111 of 3844 Old 10-08-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryld View Post

+1. Still shows processing. Fingers crossed.

One thing about these Inernet stores, is it seem they have you by the nads. But I have had good luck most of the time with them. I hope it keeps going that way.
post #112 of 3844 Old 10-08-2007, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrvero View Post

Just purchased my new Samsung 4671. Next step is the AMP and the speakers.

For some reason, my wife doesn't see the importance of home theater and wants to ensure that we won't always have to have all of the speakers on to watch TV. So is it possible to bypass the surround sound speakers and just use the TV speakers for things such as the news, etc?

My wife has been like that during my entire build from 01-04 (yes... I took my time and worked on it as I had the monies). She liked the room but spent very little time in it. Last year I made mentioning since we were going to paint the interior of the house and replace the carpet this summer, why not get an HDTV now and enjoy it with the kids then wait another 1.5 years for full HD. She was a little leary on the idea...I told her I would fit the bill and it would cost her nothing...if she didn't like it...now that I have had my Sharp D52 for 2 weeks she has been wondering why we have lived without it for so long!!!

I think they just have to see it to appreciate it!!!

Murphy's New Law --
"If it doesn't fit, force it.
If it breaks it was meant to"
post #113 of 3844 Old 10-09-2007, 03:56 AM

Just received mine from 6th Ave. It is my first Denon and it smells quality! Had it all setup tonight although I am still waiting for a couple of HDMI cable to plug in the Comcast STB and the PS3 I got it working on component inputs. I have not had time to push the sound too much yet but it sounds promising. I tested the scaler somewhat with some 1080i, 720p 480p material. I can see some artifacts when the image makes fast movements. Wondering if it is a comcast problem. Other than that it is way better than what I had before (Focus Enhancement CS-1). My GF was stunned by the image quality... A great buy!
post #114 of 3844 Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrvero View Post

In my household, I also need to support a non-AV path and Home Theater path. It makes setup more complex but I think it is good to maintain the non-AV path for everyone in the household. I also flip back and forth between the video sources to compare the pictures.

Here is I did. It was worked out well with Verizon FIOS HD Motorola 6416 DVR and Panasonic 50 Plasma (TH-50PZ700U).

If your cable box has both HDMI and component video, run HDMI directly to the TV for a simple TV/Cable solution. Run component video to the AVR and use HDMI from the AVR to the TV (I have 2 HDMI inputs in my TV). I also run digital Coax audio and the analog audio to the AVR (I run the analog so I can record non-PCM audio on the analog outputs).

For some HD cable video, I often watch the video that is HDMI direct to the TV (on some video, it looks a little better than component > AVR > HDMI) with the TV sound down and AVR sound up. For standard definition sources, I often watch the video that was routed and scaled by the AVR.

However, in my opinion, the 2808's scaler doesn't provide that great of value. I don't think it is all that much better than the 480i signal displayed on the TV with all the TV options set to improve SD sources. Of course, this probably depends greatly on your TV and my experience may be due to the Panny doing a good job in this area. To me, the video routed and scaled through the receiver to 1080p is definitely a little sharper. However, it also has more digital artifacts. Depending on the quality of the source video, I find it more frustrating to watch the scaled source because of the artifacts. That makes the duel connections to the TV convenient because there are options to choose from.

You can do something similar with a DVD player depending on what options the DVD player gives you and the number of TV HDMI inputs. In my case, I run HDMI from the DVD player to the AVR and run component video directly to the TV. I only have 2 HDMI inputs on the TV and I don't really see any significant visual difference between the DVD's scaler and the AVRs.
post #115 of 3844 Old 10-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Tracking # in from DHL. Credit card charged. Sounds like it's coming.

Tony B
post #116 of 3844 Old 10-09-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

Tracking # in from DHL. Credit card charged. Sounds like it's coming.

Mine has "Partially Shipped" when checking my account after a shipping notice email from 6thAve. WTF is "Partially Shipped"? DHL tracking indicates the item tracking number is not in the system yet. My guess is they just printed the shipping documents and not actually shipped the unit.
post #117 of 3844 Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 PM

I believe mine said partially shipped too... it takes DHL about 12 hours to get it in the system... yet here I sit with my $800 2808 and a $1200 2808 on the way back to crutchfield.
post #118 of 3844 Old 10-09-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insitedata View Post

However, in my opinion, the 2808’s scaler doesn't provide that great of value. I don’t think it is all that much better than the 480i signal displayed on the TV with all the TV options set to improve SD sources. Of course, this probably depends greatly on your TV and my experience may be due to the Panny doing a good job in this area. To me, the video routed and scaled through the receiver to 1080p is definitely a little sharper. However, it also has more digital artifacts. Depending on the quality of the source video, I find it more frustrating to watch the scaled source because of the artifacts. That makes the duel connections to the TV convenient because there are options to choose from.

You can do something similar with a DVD player depending on what options the DVD player gives you and the number of TV HDMI inputs. In my case, I run HDMI from the DVD player to the AVR and run component video directly to the TV. I only have 2 HDMI inputs on the TV and I don’t really see any significant visual difference between the DVD’s scaler and the AVRs.

I am Running a JVC RS1 projector which has a Gennum VXP GF9351. I wonder how it compares to the Faroudja Genesis Fli 2310 in the Denon... I guess I will test it out by turning the scaler off. Anyone tried this and has some opinion?
post #119 of 3844 Old 10-09-2007, 06:37 PM

I noticed the scaler creates some annoying artifacts on my Wii that I don't like, but the wii is admittedly hooked up via composite and is an interlaced source... my regular DVDs played thru my Xbox360 hooked up via component look quite a bit better than when scaled by my TV, so it seems like a mixed bag. I'm interested to see if switching the wii to component cables makes a big difference or if it is just noticeable on straight lines and w/ text.
post #120 of 3844 Old 10-09-2007, 07:59 PM

Does this feature on the Denon 2808CI allow the cross-over frequencies to be changed independently for each speaker in the surround system?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page