The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread - Page 40 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 3848 Old 07-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Has anyone else who requested the firmware received a reply -- PM or otherwise -- stating that the request was received? Not sure if that's usual, or if my request was overlooked...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 3848 Old 07-26-2008, 07:37 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
Liked: 2181
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post

Has anyone else who requested the firmware received a reply -- PM or otherwise -- stating that the request was received? Not sure if that's usual, or if my request was overlooked...

You most likely won't receive a reply. It took about 30 days after I sent my PM that I received the update.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #1173 of 3848 Old 07-27-2008, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasvm View Post

I just received my Denon 2808 the day before yesterday.
I have to major issues and I hope that you are able to help me!

1. I can not get my 2808 to play in STEREO.
Initially I wnet through the auto setup and everything went fine. I then tried to play a DVD via my Denon 1930 and a COAX cable. Went fine.. The DD sign went on. The next thing I tried was to play a normal CD also via COAX cable. The 2808 went automatically in Dolby Surround II mode and the sound comes out of the 5 speaker. I then push on the STEREO button and I can hear a click inside the receiver and all sound disappears.

Thanks!

Thomas

Please check the way is assign the Amplifier probably is put the stereo/direct in the zone 2 page 57 of the manual

Hope this will help
post #1174 of 3848 Old 07-27-2008, 09:02 PM

I am a newbie to this thread and can't decide what Receiver, TV, and speakers to buy. I am on somewhat of a budget and would consider getting just the Receiver and TV for now then the speakers down the line.

For the Receiver I am looking at either the Denon AVR-2808CI or Yamaha RX-V1800.

For the TV, I am looking at either a 46 inch Panasonic TH46PZ85U Plazma or 46 inch Sony KDL46W4100 LCD for my TV.

For speakers, either klipsch, boston acoustics, infiniti, or yamaha speakers. I know these speaker brands are not top end but, I am not as worried about sound as picture quality.

Any and all suggestions, reviews, or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fritzi
post #1175 of 3848 Old 07-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi View Post

I am a newbie to this thread and can't decide what Receiver, TV, and speakers to buy. I am on somewhat of a budget and would consider getting just the Receiver and TV for now then the speakers down the line.

For the Receiver I am looking at either the Denon AVR-2808CI or Yamaha RX-V1800.

For the TV, I am looking at either a 46 inch Panasonic TH46PZ85U Plazma or 46 inch Sony KDL46W4100 LCD for my TV.

For speakers, either klipsch, boston acoustics, infiniti, or yamaha speakers. I know these speaker brands are not top end but, I am not as worried about sound as picture quality.

Any and all suggestions, reviews, or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fritzi

Okay, my 2 cents: First off, you need to feel good about the stuff you'll get. Don't just take the many reccomendation you'll get. I don't think you can go wrong with all those combinations if price is an issue. There are other good and maybe better recommendations at that range. I personnally think speakers will be the best bang for the buck.

Receivers--I chose the Denon 2808 because of the HDMI swithching and it was the only one in this price range that had zone 2 video out. It's great and it's weak link is only having 2 hdmi inputs. If I didn't need that, other less expensive receivers would have given me more hdmi ins and the same decoding of the new codecs like DTS MA. I know you said sound is not your bag, but these new codecs made my system sound like I just upgraded to multi thousand dollar speakers. The Audyssey calibration also helped.

TV- I think your choice is really plasma vs LCD. Bright rooms and a lot of video games give LCD an edge. Better black levels, realistic colors and fast action, nod to plasma. Dark theater-plasma--I'm biased to plasma though. Panasonic makes highly rated and liked plasma's. I could get flamed for this, but I think most videophiles prefer plasma.

Speakers-wow- Of that group, I never knew Yamaha to excel in speakers since the 70's. Boston's have always been solid choices for the money. Klipsch's are known for high output per given wattage/current input(sensitity). This won't be an issue for you with those receivers having lots of power. Speakers- Suggest you listen to them as much as you can and get the ones you like. There are some highly regarded internet only companies such as Outlaw audio, SVS and Hsu Research that have very good and inexpensive speaker/sub packages. For a quick reference to a wide variety of the component/speaker reviews current to back several years try ecoustics.com. They have links to multiple different reviews from all the mags, etc.

Ps. check the Yamaha 1800 thread, because there was a issue with firmware and the DTS-MA causing a loud pop or something--affected some Onkyo's also. It may be fixed on new units, but I don't know?

Good hunting.

Tony B
post #1176 of 3848 Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Has this questions stumped everyone or was it just simply a dumb question that no one wants to respond to ????

I am sure there is someone on this forum that had experienced this and/or knows what's going on

Pretty please

Thanks,
Nikonowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonowski View Post

I have a question about weird problem with this Denon receiver. It could be that I have its settings setup wrong but this issue is annoying to say at least

When I watch cable broadcast and I change to channel that broadcasts audio that is Dolby Digital the "in" speakers on the front display display 5.1 however on the "out" front display I am getting Dolby PLII Cinema and 7.1 speakers (as I have a 7.1 system setup) This also happens with Stereo broadcast - I am also getting Dolby PLII Cinema and 7.1 speakers.

How can I (could I) avoid this behavior , I just want that whatever broadcast audio is input into receiver, I want that same format to be output i.e. stereo in = stereo out, DD in DD out. I do not wish that the receiver mixes the original audio into Dolby PLII Cinema and 7.1 speaker output. It is simply artificial.

I know that I can change this on the remote or on the unit itself by cycling through the direct/standard buttons, however, I don't want to this every time. Is there a setting somewhere in the setup portion that will allow me to set this permanently for all the inputs as I don't want to touch any buttons whatsoever, I want receiver to output the exact same audio as it receives.

What am I doing wrong. To me it seems that this receiver remembers some channels differently and processes them differently i.e. some channels that receive DD audio, display DD output , however there are some that even though they receive DD they output Dolby PLII Cinema and 7.1 speakers light up on the front display.

What gives ? Is my receiver defective ?

Thanks,
Nikonowski

post #1177 of 3848 Old 07-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has this questions stumped everyone or was it just simply a dumb question that no one wants to respond to ????

I am sure there is someone on this forum that had experienced this and/or knows what's going on

Pretty please

Thanks,
Nikonowski

In the AUTO input mode, the receiver should output DD if that is what it is. I assume your on auto mode. If your issues occur in auto mode then the only thing I can think of is that it is automatically changing to PLII(or whatever you chose for that input via the standard button) to always fill all your 7.1 speaker. I've got a 5.1 setup and when I get a DD signal in less than 5.1, mine defaults to PLII 5.1. I don't know if there is an easy way to change this to what you want to do? Since, nothing or little via TV is output at 7.1 and only 5.1, it must be just defaulting to your standard button choice?

Tony B
post #1178 of 3848 Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 AM

Thank you so much. My 2808 works properly now.
post #1179 of 3848 Old 07-28-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

In the AUTO input mode, the receiver should output DD if that is what it is. I assume your on auto mode. If your issues occur in auto mode then the only thing I can think of is that it is automatically changing to PLII(or whatever you chose for that input via the standard button) to always fill all your 7.1 speaker. I've got a 5.1 setup and when I get a DD signal in less than 5.1, mine defaults to PLII 5.1. I don't know if there is an easy way to change this to what you want to do? Since, nothing or little via TV is output at 7.1 and only 5.1, it must be just defaulting to your standard button choice?

Thanks wabkab,

How can I check if I am in the AUTO input mode ? Is there a setting that I can check ?

Should the receiver change automatically to PLII mode ? I am not sure how I would have chosen that behaviour - once again, is there a setting that I can modify ?

I don't want this receiver to fill all my speakers as what you said, there is no 7.1 DD broadcast available from any network. However, I want the receiver to default to 7.1 speakers when the signal is just that i.e. when I am playing BD with 7.1 DTS-HD MA or 7.1 uncompressed PCM.

I just want it to output whatever it receives on the input side of things - nothing more , nothing less Unless, I override it. It seems that some channels are better than others, as it seems that receiver remembers certain channels and processes them correctly - but I don't think that this would be to the broadcast level ????

wabkab, it seems that my issue is similar to your epecially with DD two channel brodcast i.e. "when I get a DD signal in less than 5.1, mine defaults to PLII 5.1 " except , mine does change to PLII 7.1 . How can I eliminate this very annoying behaviour as I don't want the receiver to mix for me.

I am really at a loss here guys Please help. There must be some obscure setting, I believe.

Nikonowski
post #1180 of 3848 Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks wabkab,

How can I check if I am in the AUTO input mode ? Is there a setting that I can check ?

Should the receiver change automatically to PLII mode ? I am not sure how I would have chosen that behaviour - once again, is there a setting that I can modify ?

I don't want this receiver to fill all my speakers as what you said, there is no 7.1 DD broadcast available from any network. However, I want the receiver to default to 7.1 speakers when the signal is just that i.e. when I am playing BD with 7.1 DTS-HD MA or 7.1 uncompressed PCM.

I just want it to output whatever it receives on the input side of things - nothing more , nothing less Unless, I override it. It seems that some channels are better than others, as it seems that receiver remembers certain channels and processes them correctly - but I don't think that this would be to the broadcast level ????

wabkab, it seems that my issue is similar to your epecially with DD two channel brodcast i.e. "when I get a DD signal in less than 5.1, mine defaults to PLII 5.1 " except , mine does change to PLII 7.1 . How can I eliminate this very annoying behaviour as I don't want the receiver to mix for me.

I am really at a loss here guys Please help. There must be some obscure setting, I believe.

Nikonowski

open the front door panel and there is a button that says "input mode". For each individual sourceyour are on, you can hit that button and toggle for all available modes(the receiver remember how you set this for each souce). Some, only cycle between external in and analog. Your HDMI's sources will have, auto, analog, digital, etc. to choose from. Choose auto. You see it on the receiver display.

Tony B
post #1181 of 3848 Old 07-29-2008, 06:58 PM

With football season approaching I would like to watch the football network broadcast but listen to the local radio play-by-play of the game. Is there a way to set the AVR-2808CI to do this? I have the cable box output via HDMI to the AVR-2808CI then the video out via HDMI to Sony VPL-VW60 projector. Any help if this is possible would be great!

Thanks!
post #1182 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 AM

Question.....

I am using my 2808 as a Pre-amp to a 5.1 speaker system.

If I connect my PS3 to my 2808 via HDMI and play a Blu Ray 7.1 ch DVD, and output from the 2808 to a 5.1 ch amp system using the analog outs, will the 2808 downmix the audio to 5.1?

Thanks!
post #1183 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 02:19 AM

I just bought 988 and am replacing a Pioneer VSX-509S (Costco model digital receiver). Based on ratings and the heft of the unit, I assumed the 988 would play as loud or louder. However, while the Pioneer would sound okay at -38dB (audible with the dishwasher on), I am around -20dB to get a similar level on the Denon. I can't hear anything much below -40dB. For movies I will have to crank it way higher to get a decent volume level.-- I'm worried how high I can go and not worry about clipping.

I have Sierra-1 speakers by Ascend which I believe are 8Ohm, inefficient-- I think something like 86dB. My room is big (19' x 38' x8') but I am sitting 8' from front speakers and the wall is 11' behind me.

I have set sub at 60Hz and checked through all the manual cal screens and everything is set to 0dB, speaker distances are set correctly. At higher cross-over (80Hz) still sounds very weak.

Please advise!!! Sound quality is great, but I'm worried about how high in volume I will have to turn it to get a good movie experience.

Want to troubleshoot quickly so if there is some problem I can still return it.
post #1184 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 80
gbuy2001-
Check that you didn't hit the "Night Audio" button, it has 3 levels.
I am using mine as a Pre-amp,so I haven't even hooked up the speakers to it, even so when I first hooked it up I was worried as well for the same reason(seemed like it took more), I also have Sierras.
Did you calibrate it yet(manual or Audyssey)?

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #1185 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You most likely won't receive a reply. It took about 30 days after I sent my PM that I received the update.

I got the firmware update in April and still have it for those interested email me directly at m_jessing@yahoo.com.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #1186 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Wryker,

What exactly was the FW update for?
My 988 seems to work fine, but I'm wondering what the issue was.

Thanks for the offer

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #1187 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 36
7.1 issues if your receiver is having it. From the person who sent it to me:
"Actually you are listening to 7.1 in all it’s glory, only the Front Panel Display isn’t showing you that. The firmware corrects that."

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #1188 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

gbuy2001-
Check that you didn't hit the "Night Audio" button, it has 3 levels.
Did you calibrate it yet(manual or Audyssey)?

Night Audio is "Off." I checked manual calibration only to ensure all settings are at 0dB, not used Audyssey.
post #1189 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 AM

I can hear reasonably well at -10dB, but it's not loud.
As a quick test I got my Rat Shack meter out pointed it at the speaker and put in the DVD Flushed Away. Positioned about 1-1.5 feet from the speaker, receiver volume on -10dB, the entire soundtrack is staying below 70dB except for few effects that go to 75dB. Listening carefully I can barely hear sound volume at about -60dB, and it is still very quiet at -40dB. dB definately means dB in terms of the rate at which the sound increases, though. For music (not loud) I have to set it at about -25dB. For movies, I have to put it at -12dB to -9dB or higher which brings me back to my question about clipping.

Is Denon extremely aggressive in marketting their power specs? My last receiver was the Pioneer, before that (through the 90's) I had a cheap Mitsubishi with maybe 50-75Watts rated, but even that seemed to have more volume in this room. Denon is definately making more detailed sound and far richer, fuller, but I'm concerned I may not be able to get a decent listening level if this thing is functioning correctly and I have to keep some distance from 0dB. Help!
post #1190 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 10:27 AM

I have just bought my Denon 988 player and have a few questions.

Here is my current setup.

- Infocus Screen Play 5700 Projector (1080i)
- SD DVD
- 92 inch Draper Screen
- Denon 988 AVR
- 7.1 Speakers (PSB Alpha series)

Since my Infocus only has inputs of either Component or M1/DVI would it be better for me to upconvert out of my 988 with component or a DVI cable? (I would have to get a DVI/HDMI adapater to go into my receiver and a M1/DVI adaptor to go into my projector). The Projector to Reciever is about a 30 foot run (I have both Component and DVI cables run - no options to run any other cables).

Aslo - would it be worth be buying a HD upconvert DVD player instead of my SD DVD? I could run HDMI on the new DVD player into my 988 but only upconvert either by component or DVI. If so, is the Oppo the best one for me to get? I don't want to spend the money at this time on a Blu-ray - especially since my projector is only 1080i capable.

Any advice would be appreciated.
post #1191 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbuy2001 View Post

I can hear reasonably well at -10dB, but it's not loud.
As a quick test I got my Rat Shack meter out pointed it at the speaker and put in the DVD Flushed Away. Positioned about 1-1.5 feet from the speaker, receiver volume on -10dB, the entire soundtrack is staying below 70dB except for few effects that go to 75dB. Listening carefully I can barely hear sound volume at about -60dB, and it is still very quiet at -40dB. dB definately means dB in terms of the rate at which the sound increases, though. For music (not loud) I have to set it at about -25dB. For movies, I have to put it at -12dB to -9dB or higher which brings me back to my question about clipping.

Is Denon extremely aggressive in marketting their power specs? My last receiver was the Pioneer, before that (through the 90's) I had a cheap Mitsubishi with maybe 50-75Watts rated, but even that seemed to have more volume in this room. Denon is definately making more detailed sound and far richer, fuller, but I'm concerned I may not be able to get a decent listening level if this thing is functioning correctly and I have to keep some distance from 0dB. Help!

Have you run Audyssey yet, or any calibration?

post #1192 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 PM

Ran Audyssey with about 5 points in a listening area that was wide and long. It up'd FR channel by 2.5dB and spotted a mistake I made on cabling (phase) FL, but not too much more than that. I still need run above 10dB to have reasonably immersive sound on Flushed Away or action flicks and have low volumes-- hurts my ears somewhat so there's definately power there.

Again checking with the Rat Shack meter while watching part of the movie, if I set my receiver volume to -9dB, movie dialogue listened to in the middle of my room is in the 70dB range with sme effects and sound track going into the 80dB range and momentarily spiking toward 90 with big crashes, explosions, etc. Again, receiver doesn't seem to be broken, but I was used to a higher volume level (especially on the high end) with my last cheap Pioneer receiver, though it was rated lower and really no where near this level of detail-- not sure if that affects strongly the power utilization. I have speakers crossed over at 60Hz to a Hsu VTF3.3.

Appreciate feedback if what I'm talking about matches Denon owner's experience in terms of how loud Denon sounds and if so how high I can keep it in volume without fear of clipping my 8Ohm Sierra-1's. I bought the receiver about 1 1/2 weeks ago so hoping to figure out if it meets my needs quickly. Frankly if I could buy some additional cheap dedicated amps (Amp-1's?) for my L,R,C I wouldn't really worry-- very happy with this receiver on many things , but I can't justify spending any more on A/V for at least 5-10 years so if there's a power gap I may have to shop for a different receiver at the same price (bought on sale at Circuit City).

Any help, input welcomed.
post #1193 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 12:33 PM

Well I'm in the process of scrapping my old system and starting over.
I just bought a Samsung LN46A550, and a Denon AVR 988. I hope to pick up a PS3 in the next month or so, and will then look to replacing my speakers and least the front at first.
The speakers are an older Bose with non powered sub and Polk center and back, and Infinity Outrigger outdoor speakers. My first question is, with the 988 multi room feature, will I be able to fire up the Sammy for a game and listen to an ipod out side? I won't need an additional amp to listen to the outdoor speakers, willI.

Thanks
post #1194 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 12:54 PM

I have a question similar to High Lake. I bought my new 988 last weekend, and after a couple of days - it was set up - and sounding real nice. I have a 5.1 setup in my main listening area. I have outside speakers for my pool area. The outside speakers was hooked up to my B speaker selection on my old Sony. All I had to do was select B - turn off the surround mode, and music played outside only. I'm having trouble with my new 988. I hooked it up the same way putting the outside speakers to the front B. I have come to the conclusion that won't work. I looked at my manual at lunch today, and I see that the outside speakers need to be hooked up to the "Surround Back", and apparently I can assign an amp to them as Zone 2. Will I be able to play zone 2 by itself when I do this? Sometime I want music outside, and no place else. The diagrams on pages 55 and 56 of the manual are confusing. I'm afraid that the Main will always play when Zone 2 is playing.

Would appreciate any comments. I usually like to play the music stations from my direct tv on the outside speakers.
post #1195 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Again checking with the Rat Shack meter while watching part of the movie, if I set my receiver volume to -9dB, movie dialogue listened to in the middle of my room is in the 70dB range with sme effects and sound track going into the 80dB range and momentarily spiking toward 90 with big crashes, explosions, etc. Again, receiver doesn't seem to be broken, but I was used to a higher volume level (especially on the high end) with my last cheap Pioneer receiver, though it was rated lower and really no where near this level of detail-- not sure if that affects strongly the power utilization. I have speakers crossed over at 60Hz to a Hsu VTF3.3.

This may simply be due to the Denon being calibrated to a lower reference level than the Pioneer, such that -9db on the Denon != -9db on the Pioneer.
post #1196 of 3848 Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 PM

Brings me back to my original question for Denon 2808/988 owners:

How high can I go on the volume dial and not worry about any damage to my speakers? My speakers are 8Ohm and rated for 200W so I'm just concerned about clipping.

I'm just trying to avoid damaging the speakers as I test out the receiver. If I can safely go to 0dB or above 0 and the Denon 988 is happy, I'm done. My Pioneer had 0dB=highest allowed. The receiver I had before that (Mitsubishi) used to clip like mad if I were anywhere close to high volume so I'm looking for some feedback from owners.
post #1197 of 3848 Old 07-31-2008, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
nubers on a display mean nothing. chances are you will do damage to your ears before the speaking. My money is that the power rating of your speakers is bogus, but again, any modern receiver will drive any decent speaker to volumes that will please all but the ludicrous. hope that helps.

ps, if your ears are bleeding, the volume is too loud.
post #1198 of 3848 Old 07-31-2008, 05:37 AM

I would still appreciate someones response to the outside speaker question I had a couple posts above for the Denon 988.

This is my setup:

Denon 988
Samsung DLP
Front- Infinity Primus 362 Floor Speakers
Center - Infinity Primus 350
Surround - Bose 501 Floor Speakers (left over from old system - 10 yrs old)
Sub - Mirage Frx-S10

The bose speakers sound good, but wonder how the Infinity 252 floor speakers would sound as the back surround. That should be a good match to the Infinity 362 and 350 center. I have been pleased with the Infinity speakers so far, and was curious if anyone had heard the 252's as back surround, and how good they sounded.

Audessey setup of Sub- the instructions say:
set volume to center
Crossover Frequency - maximum
Low pass filter and standby mode - Off
My Mirage Sub is one that I bought 10 yrs ago, and don't have the same controls. It has a Level Control, and a LP Filter Control. How would you set those in order to best maximize the Auddesey setup?

The results of my setup are: Front - Large, Center - Small, Surround - Large

FL - 14.9ft channel level -3.0db
FR - 15.0ft channel level -2.5db
C - 14.3 ft channel level -2.5db
SW - 14.0 ft channel level +6.5db
SL - 7.5 ft channel level 0db
SR - 8.6ft channel level +1.5db

Crossover Frequency : 80HZ
FRONT LARGE
CENTER SMALL
SURROUND LARGE

It sounds pretty good. My living room is about a 20 by 20 with an 18 ft vaulted ceiling. Do all of these settings appear reasonable for the equipment listed above. Most of the threads I read reflected audessey setting up the front speakers as small. I ran it several times and got large for the front and back each time. Would appreciate any comments even if the comments say appear reasonable - or this part appears out of whack. Does the channel level of the SW at +6.5 appear reasonable. I worried more about it because I did not have the controls on my sub to follow the instructions.
post #1199 of 3848 Old 07-31-2008, 07:23 AM

Just a quick question. Can the Denon 2808 be able to pass S-Video, Composite, and Component video through HDMI? I don't want to keep switching video sources through my TV. Thanks!
post #1200 of 3848 Old 07-31-2008, 04:05 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
Liked: 2181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird3993 View Post

Just a quick question. Can the Denon 2808 be able to pass S-Video, Composite, and Component video through HDMI? I don't want to keep switching video sources through my TV. Thanks!

Yes. See page 8 in Owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieberlf View Post

With football season approaching I would like to watch the football network broadcast but listen to the local radio play-by-play of the game. Is there a way to set the AVR-2808CI to do this? I have the cable box output via HDMI to the AVR-2808CI then the video out via HDMI to Sony VPL-VW60 projector. Any help if this is possible would be great!

Thanks!

This is a 2 zone AVR, so technically you should be able to watch the network broadcast in Zone 1 and listen to the radio in Zone 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeD View Post

Question.....

I am using my 2808 as a Pre-amp to a 5.1 speaker system.

If I connect my PS3 to my 2808 via HDMI and play a Blu Ray 7.1 ch DVD, and output from the 2808 to a 5.1 ch amp system using the analog outs, will the 2808 downmix the audio to 5.1?

Thanks!

Yes, it should as the surround backs will just be knocked out.

Quote:

I just bought 988 and am replacing a Pioneer VSX-509S (Costco model digital receiver). Based on ratings and the heft of the unit, I assumed the 988 would play as loud or louder. However, while the Pioneer would sound okay at -38dB (audible with the dishwasher on), I am around -20dB to get a similar level on the Denon. I can't hear anything much below -40dB. For movies I will have to crank it way higher to get a decent volume level.-- I'm worried how high I can go and not worry about clipping.

As was previously mentioned, you'll most likely have the speakers blasting too loud before it actually clips. Also, most likely your speakers have fuses built into them that will go before the speakers do. Keep in mind that you had a better chance of clipping the speakers with your Pioneer (lower wattage) then you will with the Denon. All that being said, I currently use Def Tech 7006 towers and play all PS3 games at -50db which lets me hear everything I need to hear to play effectively (granted I'm only 4' away). I play broadcast TV at -30db and rarely play action movies above -20db. At -10db I'm rocking the house which is way too loud!! So IMHO there is definitely nothing wrong with the 2808. It's all in the speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

Wryker,

What exactly was the FW update for?

For more details on the update, check post #656.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msujohn View Post

I have just bought my Denon 988 player and have a few questions.

Since my Infocus only has inputs of either Component or M1/DVI would it be better for me to upconvert out of my 988 with component or a DVI cable?

The 988 will only upconvert an "analog" signal so you can only use a component cable and not DVI. Whether the 988 will do a better job than the Oppo is another question. I personally use a PS3 which does an incredible job of upscaling SD DVDs and my DirecTV HD DVR does a better job than the 2808 so I don't use the 2808's upscaling feature at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlake View Post

My first question is, with the 988 multi room feature, will I be able to fire up the Sammy for a game and listen to an ipod out side? I won’t need an additional amp to listen to the outdoor speakers, will I.

Thanks

As mentioned, this is technically true. No additional amp needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Man57 View Post

Will I be able to play zone 2 by itself when I do this? Sometime I want music outside, and no place else. The diagrams on pages 55 and 56 of the manual are confusing. I'm afraid that the Main will always play when Zone 2 is playing.

On the 2808 you can turn Zone's 2 and 3 on without turning on the main zone, and although the 988 only has a Zone 2 (no Zone 3) you should be able to do the same thing with Zone 2 on the 988.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2808ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page