Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 3826 Old 09-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hey,

What are the odds of the Audyssey Dynamic EQ & Volume becoming leaked here and upgradeable to the 2808/988 via the PC port? Fingers crossed...

P.S. Denon could offer it to AVS members for a limited time. Personally, I'd pay $150 for the upgrade. Maybe we could get DenonJeff to help us out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 3826 Old 09-01-2008, 08:39 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2ab View Post

Hey,

What are the odds of the Audyssey Dynamic EQ & Volume becoming leaked here and upgradeable to the 2808/988 via the PC port? Fingers crossed...

P.S. Denon could offer it to AVS members for a limited time. Personally, I'd pay $150 for the upgrade. Maybe we could get DenonJeff to help us out...

I called Denon a couple weeks ago and the rep indicated that only the 3808 and above would have the upgrade made available at cost (because all the lower level models being introduced for 2008 from the 2809 on down will have it included). I PM'd DenonJeff awhile ago with no response so far. It certainly wouldn't hurt if folks would call Denon on their own requesting that the upgrade be made available for the 988/2808 as well. Because the 988/2808 were never designed to be updated by the user, it most likely depends on how much effort is involved in putting it together by a tech on their off time.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1353 of 3826 Old 09-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

I called Denon a couple weeks ago and the rep indicated that only the 3808 and above would have the upgrade made available at cost. I PM'd DenonJeff awhile ago with no response so far. It certainly wouldn't hurt if folks would call Denon on their own requesting that the upgrade be made available for the 988/2808 as well. Because the 988/2808 were never designed to be updated by the user, it most likely depends on how much effort is involved in putting it together by a tech on their off time.

I will call Denon to request that they include the 988/2808 with the Dynamic EQ & Volume upgrade, too. I suggest others do the same. I don't know DenonJeff so I will wait until you here back from him before I PM him, or do you wish for me to PM him now?

Come on 2808/988 owners, get on board!!

Thanks!!
post #1354 of 3826 Old 09-01-2008, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need a little help or clarification here. I'm doing the preliminary set-up of the 988... I have skipped auto setup/Audyssey calibration for now, saving it for later when my room is properly set-up and I have more time. I have gone through items 2 (Manual Setup) & 3 (Input Setup) of the main set-up menu without a hitch. It is in item 4 (Parameter) that I seem to be encountering a puzzling curiousity: There are supposed to be 6 items within the "Parameter" menu, but the first one, "Surround Parameter," is inexplicably missing from the menu on my screen even though the manual lists it as one of the items that should appear under "Parameter" This is how the "Parameter" menu looks:

4. Parameter

2. Tone Control
3. Room EQ
4. Restorer
5. Night Mode
6. Audio Delay

As you can see, there is no item # 1 and no "Sound parameter" showing on the screen. Does anyone know whether I'm doing something incorrectly? Does it have something to do with my skipping the Audyssey Room calibration auto setup?

Your help would be appreciated, as usual. Thanks.

PS: HOw important are the "Surround Parameter" settings to me at this stage?
post #1355 of 3826 Old 09-01-2008, 06:21 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen View Post

Your help would be appreciated, as usual. Thanks.

PS: HOw important are the "Surround Parameter" settings to me at this stage?

You asked this same question and it was answered in the "988 or wait for 1909" thread.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1356 of 3826 Old 09-01-2008, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

You asked this same question and it was answered in the "988 or wait for 1909" thread.

Yes it was.. Sorry for posting the same question twice... I was stuck in the middle of setup and was impatient for an answer.
post #1357 of 3826 Old 09-01-2008, 07:44 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I will call Denon to request that they include the 988/2808 with the Dynamic EQ & Volume upgrade, too. I suggest others do the same. I don't know DenonJeff so I will wait until you here back from him before I PM him, or do you wish for me to PM him now?

Come on 2808/988 owners, get on board!!

Thanks!!

From past experience, DenonJeff does not respond very promptly (as this is not a priority for him) so go ahead and PM him and call Denon as well. The only way we'll get it added to the upgrade site is for people to call and request it be added.

"JD" –

post #1358 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From past experience, DenonJeff does not respond very promptly (as this is not a priority for him) so go ahead and PM him and call Denon as well. The only way we'll get it added to the upgrade site is for people to call and request it be added.

I PM'd DenonJeff and called Denon directly. When I called Denon they basically told me that that all AVR's below the 3808 weren't "mechanically" capable of being upgraded and pointed me toward the '09 models. Needless to say, I'm a bit skeptical of the rationale I was given.

Anyway, I hope others will call to get this issue on their radar.

Thanks!
post #1359 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I PM'd DenonJeff and called Denon directly. When I called Denon they basically told me that that all AVR's below the 3808 weren't "mechanically" capable of being upgraded and pointed me toward the '09 models. Needless to say, I'm a bit skeptical of the rationale I was given.

Anyway, I hope others will call to get this issue on their radar.

Thanks!

I've never been clear on what the firmware update that DJ had sent around months back to a few including me actually addressed. Funny there would that available and then never appearing on the website as I assumed it eventually would. I know one of the corrections was something to do with and incorrect display of the multichannel audio in numbers vs what it was actully outputting. I use 5.1 and I never updated or have had a problem. My only issue has always been brief A/V dropouts when the Directv box changes resolutions with commercials and similar stuff when ESPNHD changes from HD to SD video. My screen blanks out for a couple of seconds and no matter what I have ever done including leaving the DTV box on 1080i only, 720p only or had the 2808 on pass thru, upconvert on or off or A to H off or on, I've never been able to fix that.

Tony B
post #1360 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Does your friend have a 988 or 2808? On the 2808 it is definitely doable and although the 988 is similar I cannot confirm for sure on it. I don't recognize what you are saying about switching ON/OFF so perhaps he's got the 988? Also, if he's wants TV/CBL input why use the V. Aux as that is a totally separate video input and should not be necessary. Regarding audio, on the 2808 the Zone 2 default audio outputs are the MAIN SBL and SBR jacks. The Zone 2 pre-out jacks can also be used although the setup must be changed to use them.

Hi Jdsmoothie. It is the 2808CI for sure. I only referenced the V.Aux (his ipod connection) as that works fine with the 2nd zone.

What I'm referring to is choosing #2 for "Manual Setup" then choosing #5 for "Option Setup" then choosing #3 for "source delete".. After choosing #3 source delete. All of the inputs say "On" except the TV/VCR input and the phone input. The TV/VCR input sets "main". I'm assuming this is why I can't use zone 2. I can't figure out how to change it to "On"

I really just want to confirm if there is some limitation that prevents the TV/Cable input from working on zone 2
post #1361 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

Hi Jdsmoothie. It is the 2808CI for sure. I only referenced the V.Aux (his ipod connection) as that works fine with the 2nd zone.

What I'm referring to is choosing #2 for "Manual Setup" then choosing #5 for "Option Setup" then choosing #3 for "source delete".. After choosing #3 source delete. All of the inputs say "On" except the TV/VCR input and the phone input. The TV/VCR input sets "main". I'm assuming this is why I can't use zone 2. I can't figure out how to change it to "On"

I really just want to confirm if there is some limitation that prevents the TV/Cable input from working on zone 2

I'm setup with 5.1 main, and I use TV/Cable input routinely for zone 2 audio and video for an outdoor tv (composite cable) to tv. Receiver to the outdoor speakers. I don't know why yours won't work. Maybe a system reset?

Tony B
post #1362 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

I'm setup with 5.1 main, and I use TV/Cable input routinely for zone 2 audio and video for an outdoor tv (composite cable) to tv. Receiver to the outdoor speakers. I don't know why yours won't work. Maybe a system reset?

Thanks wabkab. Good to hear that yours works fine. I'm not sure if composite makes a difference (would seem odd if it did) but he is using HDMI from his Motorolla box (Comcast service).

He just told me a minute ago that he decided to have the Geek Squad come out again next weekend to try to figure it out. I guess 1 year service is included for free so that is good.
post #1363 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
whassup brian?

you can't go HDMI in > zone 2 out. He needs to run a second set of analog audio cables to the TV/CBL input for Zone 2.

The 2808ci can output digital PCM input to zone 2, but only from an optical/coax connection. See page 60 of the manual, on the right: "Digital audio signals input from the HDMI connectors cannot be played in multi-zone"

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1364 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

whassup brian?

you can't go HDMI in > zone 2 out. He needs to run a second set of analog audio cables to the TV/CBL input for Zone 2.

The 2808ci can output digital PCM input to zone 2, but only from an optical/coax connection. See page 60 of the manual, on the right: "Digital audio signals input from the HDMI connectors cannot be played in multi-zone"

Hey batpig, thanks that is very helpful! Not sure why it wasn't designed to do that but interesting, solution is easy now that I know.

Hope you are still loving the Energy's
post #1365 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

of course! loving the RC's...

and glad to help... deciphering the Denon manuals has sort of ended up becoming a hobby of mine

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1366 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:

of course! loving the RC's...

and glad to help... deciphering the Denon manuals has sort of ended up becoming a hobby of mine

Well that is one way to kill a lot of time, lol.. Hopefully while listening to some good music

Still pondering going back to Denon from my Onkyo one day as well when the time is right.. Just can't justify it right now.
post #1367 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

whassup brian?

Yes I run an extra composite analog out to the receiver for video and I can't remember if I did analog audio or am just using the HDMI for that.

Tony B
post #1368 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Yes I run an extra composite analog out to the receiver for video and I can't remember if I did analog audio or am just using the HDMI for that.

I think based off the manual using a optical or spid should do the trick. Analog RCA's as well but then he wouldn't 5.1 for those channels that offer it. I'm just glad it is simple $5-10 "fix" to buy one of those cables.
post #1369 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think you can run the analog RCA's *in addition to* the HDMI cable. It will pull the stereo audio from the RCA's for Zone 2, and the digital 5.1 for the main zone. It automatically prioritizes the digital input over the analog.

If you ran a digital optical *instead of* HDMI for audio, you would still have an issue because the 2808ci cannot take the 5.1 and downmix to 2 channel for zone 2 output. It can only output digital to zone 2 if it's 2-channel PCM (like from a CD player), they note that just above the HDMI note on page 60 of the manual.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1370 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

I think based off the manual using a optical or spid should do the trick. Analog RCA's as well but then he wouldn't 5.1 for those channels that offer it. I'm just glad it is simple $5-10 "fix" to buy one of those cables.

Zone 2 only has stereo capability. Maybe we're talking about 2 different things?

Tony B
post #1371 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

definitely "in addition to".

Tony B
post #1372 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 PM

Ok, thanks again guys. That makes sense. FYI, I did mean stereo, but as you said I meant stereo for outside but still keeping the 5.1 ability inside.. Eveything should be good
post #1373 of 3826 Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just got the 988 along with the Sony Blu-ray S350 and a new HDTV.

I have my BD HDMI to the receiver along with my Dish HD receiver. THen HDMI to the TV. The sound is great on those units. But if I go to the Radio, it plays about 2.5 seconds and then off for 3 seconds. I have searched on here and keep coming up empty handed. Any ideas?

Thanks
post #1374 of 3826 Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdude View Post

Hi Everyone,

I just got the 988 along with the Sony Blu-ray S350 and a new HDTV.

I have my BD HDMI to the receiver along with my Dish HD receiver. THen HDMI to the TV. The sound is great on those units. But if I go to the Radio, it plays about 2.5 seconds and then off for 3 seconds. I have searched on here and keep coming up empty handed. Any ideas?

Thanks

You're talking about the FM Tuner radio?

Tony B
post #1375 of 3826 Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 AM

wabkab and batpig, that did the trick.. $3.00 solution for the RCA's. Thanks again guys
post #1376 of 3826 Old 09-03-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:

My only issue has always been brief A/V dropouts when the Directv box changes resolutions with commercials and similar stuff when ESPNHD changes from HD to SD video. My screen blanks out for a couple of seconds and no matter what I have ever done including leaving the DTV box on 1080i only, 720p only or had the 2808 on pass thru, upconvert on or off or A to H off or on, I've never been able to fix that.

I have what I think is this same issue on my 988. I have my standard-def digital cable box going to an S-Video input, and the TV is component output. With almost every channel change, the video just blanks out (and the TV says no input present) and then everything resets and is OK in about 1-2 seconds. It makes for an annoying delay when changing channels. No audio dropouts occur, only video.

Anybody have a solution?
post #1377 of 3826 Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz2 View Post

I have what I think is this same issue on my 988. I have my standard-def digital cable box going to an S-Video input, and the TV is component output. With almost every channel change, the video just blanks out (and the TV says no input present) and then everything resets and is OK in about 1-2 seconds. It makes for an annoying delay when changing channels. No audio dropouts occur, only video.

Anybody have a solution?

Your post gives me an idea? Maybe, since I run an Svideo from my DirectvHDDVR (for conversion purposes--Zone 2), that is what is causing a video glitch in processing. The DVR is outputting HDMI and Svideo to the receiver and maybe thats the issue? I never tried to D/C the svideo and see if that makes a difference. Obviously most 2808/988 owners don't have our isssue and probably most don't use an analog input in addition to their main input. I get exactly what you get--video drops with audio on. Information overload

Tony B
post #1378 of 3826 Old 09-04-2008, 04:13 PM

Can someone tell me if this indication I see on my AVR-2808CI reveiver front panel is correct? When I play a Blu Ray or a DVD that has Dolby 5.1 sound tracks, my receiver display shows "DOLBY D + PLIIx". However when I open the disk tray (eject) the display changes to Multi Channel 7.1. I do have my system set up for 7.1 audio. I called Denon and one person says that is a correcr display and another doesn't know for sure. Any help will be appriciated.
post #1379 of 3826 Old 09-04-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

no offense, but who cares what it displays when the disk tray is opened? it's probably just going to a default status or something... as long as it works normally when you are watching a movie what's the issue?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1380 of 3826 Old 09-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Warner View Post

Can someone tell me if this indication I see on my AVR-2808CI reveiver front panel is correct? When I play a Blu Ray or a DVD that has Dolby 5.1 sound tracks, my receiver display shows "DOLBY D + PLIIx". However when I open the disk tray (eject) the display changes to Multi Channel 7.1. I do have my system set up for 7.1 audio. I called Denon and one person says that is a correcr display and another doesn't know for sure. Any help will be appriciated.

I'm not set for 7.1, but I think it is correct. Are you using HDMI? That easy to read manual should have the correct display per input

Tony B
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2808ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page