post #1501 of 3826 Old 09-18-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisberry View Post

I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked. I just purchased the AVR 988 and have run into a problem. I have it all hooked up and everything works, except for when I try and acess the menu. When I click on the menu button, the image on the tv switches to a grey screen, but no text is displayed.

I assume you have it hooked up with HDMI to the TV?

A couple of things to check:

1. In MANUAL SETUP > HDMI SETUP, make sure the i/p scaler is turned on (should say "A to H")

2. try different resolutions for the HDMI output, the on-screen menus are natively 480i so you may have some compatibility issues with your TV's HDMI input... try out 480p, 1080i, etc.

3. In MANUAL SETUP > OPTION SETUP, make sure the OSD is turned ON. Also, try switching OSD from "Mode 1" to "Mode 2".

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 3826 Old 09-18-2008, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I assume you have it hooked up with HDMI to the TV?

A couple of things to check:

1. In MANUAL SETUP > HDMI SETUP, make sure the i/p scaler is turned on (should say "A to H")

2. try different resolutions for the HDMI output, the on-screen menus are natively 480i so you may have some compatibility issues with your TV's HDMI input... try out 480p, 1080i, etc.

3. In MANUAL SETUP > OPTION SETUP, make sure the OSD is turned ON. Also, try switching OSD from "Mode 1" to "Mode 2".

Thanks! I will try these when I get home tonight. I do have everything hooked up with HDMI.
post #1503 of 3826 Old 09-18-2008, 05:08 PM

Unfortunately, I tried all those checks and I still couldn't get the on screen display to work... I wonder if my unit is flawed.
post #1504 of 3826 Old 09-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Liked: 14
my Denon is driving me crazy... I want to listen to cds, nothing fancy now, just music on my PS3 which is connected via HDMI... problem is this... i love the sound coming thru with the display reading.... multi ch pure direct.. however when it is on that setting my sub is dead as a hammer.

now.... when i click on the pure button on my remote.. it switches and says pure direct off... and reads multi ch in and then my sub kicks in.

can anyone make heads or tails out of that? what is the best setting sound wise for my music? i guess im getting used to the multi ch in sound where my sub works... but i really love the multi ch pure direct sound!! lol prob is no sub! any help would be greatly appreciated!!

what does multi ch in mean anyway????
post #1505 of 3826 Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Please don't forget to contact Denon and PM DenonJeff to express your interest in receiving the Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume upgrade for 2808/988 AVS members.

Thank you!
post #1506 of 3826 Old 09-19-2008, 04:09 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:

Unfortunately, I tried all those checks and I still couldn't get the on screen display to work... I wonder if my unit is flawed.

Perhaps. However, if all checks are confirmed as batpig suggested, then the last step is usually to perform a Master Reset. What TV do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylan View Post

my Denon is driving me crazy... I want to listen to cds, nothing fancy now, just music on my PS3 which is connected via HDMI... problem is this... i love the sound coming thru with the display reading.... multi ch pure direct.. however when it is on that setting my sub is dead as a hammer.

now.... when i click on the pure button on my remote.. it switches and says pure direct off... and reads multi ch in and then my sub kicks in.

can anyone make heads or tails out of that? what is the best setting sound wise for my music? i guess im getting used to the multi ch in sound where my sub works... but i really love the multi ch pure direct sound!! lol prob is no sub! any help would be greatly appreciated!!

what does multi ch in mean anyway????

Multi CH IN is simply that ... more than stereo (2 channels) ... generally referring to "surround sound." Pure Direct is generally (again personal preference plays a part here again) going to be the best mode to listen to music. Although with some AVRs, the sub is cut out in Pure Direct to get the real "stereo" sound that music was intended to be, Denon AVRs leave it on if its present. Do you get the same result with just Direct mode? What kind of CD is being played? Does it occur with ALL your CD's? As with the previous post, when all else fails, try a Master Reset.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1507 of 3826 Old 09-19-2008, 05:42 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by litri View Post

So, I have set the sub to LFE+MAIN.

All speakers were detected as small during the Audissey room setup so that's no problem, but the sub is set at 80hz crossover, shouldn't i use Denon recommendation when using small speakers and set it to 90 or higher?

Thx!

With your speakers set to SMALL, the LFE+MAIN subwoofer mode setting actually has no effect (that's what the crossover setting does). Unless you've got a really good set of full range speakers (that play down to 20-30hz), generally all speakers should be set to SMALL so your Audyssey setup is correct. Denon suggests setting the crossover above 90hz because speakers set to SMALL generally don't play the lower frequencies as well as the subwoofer does.

Doing a little more research, this is how I understand it ... The LFE signal is the
.1 of DD 5.1. Speakers set to LARGE play the full frequency range sent to them (which I believe also includes the LFE signal). The only way to send the lower frequencies (intended for the mains) to the sub as well is by setting the sub mode to LFE+MAIN as the sub will get the LFE by default if set to YES. Speakers set to SMALL send the lower frequencies (those near and below the crossover point) to the sub by default (thus LFE+MAIN has no impact). If you want a larger sub presence then set the crossover point higher as batpig suggested. Another starting point suggestion is to set the crossover at 10hz above the lowest frequency your front mains L/R can cleanly produce. Your current mains (from the specs you provided) have a low end of 50hz, so a good crossover would be anything higher than 60hz. Experiment with each setting and see which you prefer.

"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #1508 of 3826 Old 09-19-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Perhaps. However, if all checks are confirmed as batpig suggested, then the last step is usually to perform a Master Reset. What TV do you have?

I have a Samsung FPT5084, it's a 50" 1080p plasma, last year's model.
post #1509 of 3826 Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I have a Samsung FPT5084, it's a 50" 1080p plasma, last year's model.

Your model accepts 480i according to the specs, so there shouldn't be any issues there. Although it generally takes 4-5 seconds for the menu to display, it always has for me. I'd try the Master Reset and if that doesn't work call Denon (or call Denon first if you're at work now).

"JD" –

post #1510 of 3826 Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

First off, something is a little funny because you are listening to CD's which are 2-channel, yet the display is saying "MULTI CH". Do you have your PS3 set up for 5.1 or 7.1? I think it's sending 2-channel music as 5.1/7.1 with "blank" channels and the Denon is getting "tricked" into thinking it's multichannel content.

When you listen to CD's, look at how many squares are lit up on the left side of the Denon's display. Is it showing 2-channel or multiple channels?

but back to Pure vs. other stuff...

The DIRECT and PURE DIRECT modes are intended for PCM music, either 2-channel (from a CD) or multichannel (from an SACD or Blu Ray or something). The thing with these modes is that they apply no bass management at all, and as little processing as possible, whatever comes in on each channel is played on that channel.

DIRECT and PURE DIRECT share a common set of parameters, so if (for example) Audyssey EQ is on for DIRECT mode, it will still be on for PURE DIRECT mode. Any changes you make to one will affect the other. PURE DIRECT is just an "enhanced" form of DIRECT mode with even more circuitry shut off.

So, for example, with 2-channel music:

1. STEREO mode allows you to use tone controls, bass management, etc.
2. engaging DIRECT mode disabled tone controls, bass management, and other unneeded processing for a "purer" sound
3. engaging PURE DIRECT additionally turns off every last bit of unneeded processing, including the video circuits, display, etc. for an even "purer" sound than DIRECT mode.

For multichannel PCM, it's the same thing - MULTI CH IN > MULTI CH DIRECT > MULTI CH PURE DIRECT (in ascending order of "pureness"). But with the DIRECT/PURE modes you again lose bass management for multichannel content.

My theory is this: the PS3 is sending 5.1/7.1 and including "blank channels" for everything but the front L/R. When you engage DIRECT or PURE DIRECT mode, the Denon plays the music as straight passthrough, what comes in on a channel is played on that channel. In MULTI CH DIRECT mode, the sub will only make a noise if there is content on the discrete LFE (.1) channel.

So, since the sub channel is blank, and there is no bass management in PURE DIRECT mode, nothing comes out of the sub. When you hit STANDARD to engage MULTI CH IN, since your speakers are set at small, the receiver does normal bass management and you hear your sub.

So try this:

temporarily uncheck all the multichannel options from your PS3 and "force" it to send 2-channel to your Denon. Now, hit PURE DIRECT and see if you are getting the sub to make noise. Make sure that the SUBWOOFER=ON in the PARAMETERS menu for DIRECT/PURE mode...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1511 of 3826 Old 09-19-2008, 12:18 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

First off, something is a little funny because you are listening to CD's which are 2-channel, yet the display is saying "MULTI CH". Do you have your PS3 set up for 5.1 or 7.1? I think it's sending 2-channel music as 5.1/7.1 with "blank" channels and the Denon is getting "tricked" into thinking it's multichannel content.

+1
The PS3 HDMI output default is all 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1 boxes are checked which is why it's reading MULT CH IN.

Quote:

So try this:

temporarily uncheck all the multichannel options from your PS3 and "force" it to send 2-channel to your Denon. Now, hit PURE DIRECT and see if you are getting the sub to make noise. Make sure that the SUBWOOFER=ON in the PARAMETERS menu for DIRECT/PURE mode...

This will work as I have a PS3 and just verified. Once he's unchecked all but the 2.1 boxes, the end result will be "Stereo" vice Mult Ch In and showing 2.0 in icons and 2.1 out icons. However, not really necessary as the sub should work just as well with all the PS3 boxes checked in their original default mode and the AVR will show Mult Ch In.

"JD" –

post #1512 of 3826 Old 09-19-2008, 03:15 PM

Liked: 11
Hopefully someone can help me out with my AVR-988. I recently picked a open box/new AVR-988 for a great deal on ebay and have since hooked up up (replacing my HK 335). I'm really not happy with the sound quality compared to my old receiver. The sound is very bright/hallow and lacking mids. I am wondering if this is a configuration issue or if it's potentially a bad unit. I am using this with paradigm studio 100's set in large mode. I am without a sub right now and have removed the sub from the config. Maybe there is a break in period? Any help would be much appreciated!

post #1513 of 3826 Old 09-20-2008, 05:10 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocZZZZ View Post

Hopefully someone can help me out with my AVR-988. I recently picked a open box/new AVR-988 for a great deal on ebay and have since hooked up up (replacing my HK 335). I'm really not happy with the sound quality compared to my old receiver. The sound is very bright/hallow and lacking mids. I am wondering if this is a configuration issue or if it's potentially a bad unit. I am using this with paradigm studio 100's set in large mode. I am without a sub right now and have removed the sub from the config. Maybe there is a break in period? Any help would be much appreciated!

I noticed you got several suggestions in the 2309 thread you posted in as well. In addition to following them, I would also add that considering the fine Paradigm speakers you are using, although your speakers do in fact have a "break-in" period, they should only go from "Outstanding" to "Outstanding ++" and not from "mediocre" to "Outstanding".

"JD" –

post #1514 of 3826 Old 09-20-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I find with my 2808 that when I first press the menu button my TV responds (ie there is some info that pops up on the screen to say 480i), but nothing else appears. My solution is to press the menu button twice again, then the menu will appear on the screen, then seems to work OK for the rest of the session of adjustments. Not sure why this should be, I have a Sony LCD TV connected via a HDMI switch box to give me enough HDMI inputs.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #1515 of 3826 Old 09-20-2008, 08:57 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I find with my 2808 that when I first press the menu button my TV responds (ie there is some info that pops up on the screen to say 480i), but nothing else appears. My solution is to press the menu button twice again, then the menu will appear on the screen, then seems to work OK for the rest of the session of adjustments. Not sure why this should be, I have a Sony LCD TV connected via a HDMI switch box to give me enough HDMI inputs.

His situation is a bit different. He's trying to display the menu directly from the 988. Your issue is most likely caused because of the HDMI switch box which is causing some handshaking issues with your HDTV. Without the HDMI switch box the AVR menu would appear in it's entirety with just one press of the menu button.

"JD" –

post #1516 of 3826 Old 09-20-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:

It's a current HDTV, shouldn't be any issues there. Although it generally takes 4-5 seconds for the menu to display, it always has for me. I'd try the Master Reset and if that doesn't work call Denon (or call Denon first if you're at work now).

You didn't state which input mode you are using on the 988.
If you are in TV mode you won't see the menu.
I also have a problem, but only in accessing my VCR menu.
Try it in DVD in mode, assuming your DVD player is connected through HDMI.
Good Luck.
post #1517 of 3826 Old 09-20-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocZZZZ View Post

I've 988 hook up with mission 731 pro and it doesn't seem bright at all. May be your receiver needs break-in. I'm looking for bigger speaker and is considering studio 60. Hopefully to hear some feed back from you later.
post #1518 of 3826 Old 09-20-2008, 05:12 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmytoy View Post

I've 988 hook up with mission 731 pro and it doesn't seem bright at all. May be your receiver needs break-in. I'm looking for bigger speaker and is considering studio 60. Hopefully to hear some feed back from you later.

Hmmm .... let's not forget that you're comparing a $300 speaker set (mission 731 pro) to a $2000 speaker set (paradigm studio 100) so what he hears is going to be significantly different than what you're hearing. Another reason why it's better to buy your speakers first and then try out different AVRs as they will tend to sound different with each vendor especially with upper end speakers like the Paradigm 100's.

"JD" –

post #1519 of 3826 Old 09-20-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Hmmm .... let's not forget that you're comparing a $300 speaker set (mission 731 pro) to a $2000 speaker set (paradigm studio 100) so what he hears is going to be significantly different than what you're hearing. Another reason why it's better to buy your speakers first and then try out different AVRs as they will tend to sound different with each vendor especially with upper end speakers like the Paradigm 100's.

For your information the mission 731 pro is not a $300 FS speakers. It was $500 12 years ago which is at the same level as the B&W 600 series bookshelf. BTW, I own paradigm speaker before I know how they sound with average receiver. I know It can't compare to the Studio 100 but I can tell you that I never heard people saying Denon receiver sound bright. Try Yamaha or Pioneer they sound much brighter to me.

Actually to get top SQ, speaker and receiver should be in the same level. Probably Denon 5308 or 4308 will be better pair with Studio 100, or get a decent power amp that will be much better for 2 channel music use.
post #1520 of 3826 Old 09-20-2008, 07:13 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmytoy View Post

For your information the mission 731 pro is not a $300 FS speakers. It was $500 12 years ago which is at the same level as the B&W 600 series bookshelf. BTW, I own paradigm speaker before I know how they sound with average receiver. I know It can't compare to the Studio 100 but I can tell you that I never heard people saying Denon receiver sound bright. Try Yamaha or Pioneer they sound much brighter to me.

Actually to get top SQ, speaker and receiver should be in the same level. Probably Denon 5308 or 4308 will be better pair with Studio 100, or get a decent power amp that will be much better for 2 channel music use.

I was actually just estimating the cost of the speaker systems .. simply pointing out they are in much different classes. I would definitely agree though that an upper level AVR would be more appropriate with those speakers.

"JD" –

post #1521 of 3826 Old 09-21-2008, 02:39 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2ab View Post

Please don't forget to contact Denon and PM DenonJeff to express your interest in receiving the Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume upgrade for 2808/988 AVS members.

Thank you!

+1
The Denon CSR never did call me back with information regarding updating the 2808/988, although did say the firmware update for the 3808 and above is still on track for Oct even though the current 3808's they have in stock have not yet been updated. I'll follow up again next week as the guy's they have on the phones don't even know the 2808/988 can even receive firmware updates. You've got to get past the CSR who answers the phone and speak to a Level 2 tech. Also, I wouldn't count on hearing back from DenonJeff anytime soon as I just noticed the last time he logged in was back on Jun 18!

"JD" –

post #1522 of 3826 Old 09-21-2008, 04:56 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Did the Master Reset work? As a work around until the problem is solved or the unit is replaced, try this solution listed in Denon's FAQ:

Why won't the OSD appear on my TV?
The reason you can't do this is that many displays will not accept a 480i signal on their HDMI input (although the specs indicate yours accepts 480i, I would confirm this is not the issue by by calling SAMSUNG), and our On Screen Display menu is a 480i signal. What you can do to resolve this however, is run a composite cable from the monitor out on the receiver to an open composite input on the receiver, turn your video convert and IP scaler on, and change to that source. This will allow your on screen display to view through your monitor

"JD" –

post #1523 of 3826 Old 09-22-2008, 01:20 AM

Hey guys been awhile since I posted here. Here's a couple of Q's for ya.....

So I'm upgrading my entire 5.1 surround system. I have the Polk Audio Monitor 50s (150w). I just bought the Polk Audio RTi A7s (300w). I have only received one, so I cant test them yet (other one should be here shortly:dont ask, long story)My question is, will my AVR988 be able to push these speakers or do I have to buy an amp? If so, can anyone recommend an amp. I dont know the first things about and amp either.

....added a small pick of the speakers...they are bigger than I thought they would be.
LL

"A Video Game Junkie At His Finest"
[700+ games and 26 systems]-updated 1.5.09

post #1524 of 3826 Old 09-22-2008, 03:26 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Pistol View Post

Hey guys been awhile since I posted here. Here's a couple of Q's for ya.....

So I'm upgrading my entire 5.1 surround system. I have the Polk Audio Monitor 50s (150w). I just bought the Polk Audio RTi A7s (300w). I have only received one, so I cant test them yet (other one should be here shortly:dont ask, long story)My question is, will my AVR988 be able to push these speakers or do I have to buy an amp? If so, can anyone recommend an amp. I dont know the first things about and amp either.

....added a small pick of the speakers...they are bigger than I thought they would be.

The 988 should be plenty enough to drive your 5.1 system, although given the new mains are rated at a higher wattage, you could easily add an amp if you feel that's necessary. Keep in mind both speaker sets have the same 89db efficiency rating so you won't notice any difference in output at the same wattage levels on the 988. I use my 2808 to drive my Def Tech 7006 92db 250 watt mains w/powered subwoofers speakers and they sound very clean!

"JD" –

post #1525 of 3826 Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:

+1
The Denon CSR never did call me back with information regarding updating the 2808/988, although did say the firmware update for the 3808 and above is still on track for Oct even though the current 3808's they have in stock have not yet been updated. I'll follow up again next week as the guy's they have on the phones don't even know the 2808/988 can even receive firmware updates. You've got to get past the CSR who answers the phone and speak to a Level 2 tech. Also, I wouldn't count on hearing back from DenonJeff anytime soon as I just noticed the last time he logged in was back on Jun 18!

I just replaced my AVR-5800 with the AVR-2808CI. My question is how do you upgrade the firmware, etc on the 2808? It has no USB or ethernet ports. For instance on my Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray player I can and have upgaded the firmware via a CD. You can also use a USB thumb drive or connect to the Samsung servers via a ethernet connection. None of these connections are available on the 2808. So is the only option for upgade(s) to send the unit in to an authorized Denon repair facility?
post #1526 of 3826 Old 09-22-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

if they do issue a firmware upgrade it can be done via the RS-232 port on back.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1527 of 3826 Old 09-22-2008, 04:29 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Warner View Post

I just replaced my AVR-5800 with the AVR-2808CI. My question is how do you upgrade the firmware, etc on the 2808? It has no USB or ethernet ports. For instance on my Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray player I can and have upgaded the firmware via a CD. You can also use a USB thumb drive or connect to the Samsung servers via a ethernet connection. None of these connections are available on the 2808. So is the only option for upgade(s) to send the unit in to an authorized Denon repair facility?

The lowest level model that Denon currently plans on providing firmware updates for is the 3808 which has an ethernet port. They expect owners to download the updates from the internet directly to the 3808 and higher. That said, one of the Denon reps released an "unofficial" firmware update last spring which was mostly cosmetic in nature. I go into detail on how to install firmware updates via the RS232 port in my post #990 on p. 33. We are currently trying to encourage Denon to issue the new Audyssey Dynamic Volume upgrade which is expected to be available for the 3808 and higher models next month to the 2808/988 as well (est. $100) (see earlier posts this page).

"JD" –

post #1528 of 3826 Old 09-22-2008, 11:59 PM

Liked: 14
ok so i finally got around to setting up the Audyssey and have a stupid question... this is tweaking the level settings for each speaker correct? the volume right? because when i was done, i checked each speaker's setting and they had changed... it gave me a left speaker +4 right speaker +3 center +1 and my sub... -12.... does that sound like anything that should be right? lol im sorry, im a lame novice at all of this.
post #1529 of 3826 Old 09-23-2008, 12:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

the whole point of Audyssey is to calibrate and setup your whole speaker system, so, yes, that includes setting channel levels to balance your surround sound.

those speaker settings are a little wacky though, your sub shouldn't be at -12. try turning the sub volume down a bit and re-run Audyssey.

read this post in the official Audyssey thread, it's very helpful:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1530 of 3826 Old 09-23-2008, 04:08 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

ok so i finally got around to setting up the Audyssey and have a stupid question... this is tweaking the level settings for each speaker correct? the volume right? because when i was done, i checked each speaker's setting and they had changed... it gave me a left speaker +4 right speaker +3 center +1 and my sub... -12.... does that sound like anything that should be right? lol im sorry, im a lame novice at all of this.

Audyssey set's each speaker based on the room dynamics as well which will change from room to room. Also, it's a known issue with Denon AVRs that Audyssey set's the sub too low. Just tweak it up a few clicks and you should enjoy it more.

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2808ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page