The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1531 of 3826 Old 09-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Member
 
MosIncredible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered the 2808CI for $659.99, no tax, free shipping. Can't wait to join you guys in audio greatness.
MosIncredible is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1532 of 3826 Old 09-24-2008, 03:17 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Pistol View Post

Hey guys been awhile since I posted here. ..

Speaking of which ... whatever happened with your 2707? Did the repair center resolve the problem you were having?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1533 of 3826 Old 09-24-2008, 03:23 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosIncredible View Post

Just ordered the 2808CI for $659.99, no tax, free shipping. Can't wait to join you guys in audio greatness.

One of the reasons it's not a good idea to post the price you paid is that you find out you paid about $130 more than you should have .. I noticed a forum sponsor ad yesterday at the top of this thread showed it was being sold for $529 no tax/no shipping by an authorized Denon vendor.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1534 of 3826 Old 09-24-2008, 05:07 AM
Member
 
MosIncredible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whoops. Thanks for the heads up. I love this board. You guys make me spend money, find ways to save me money, then spend the money on something else expensive.
MosIncredible is offline  
post #1535 of 3826 Old 09-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Newbie
 
dragonvoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All! i did a quick search and didn't find a direct answer to my Q. Hopefully someone out there has a similar setup to mine and can help me out.

I am building out a patio and am adding a pair of Polk atrium 60's and planning on hooking them up to the 2nd zone of my 988 through a Phoenix Gold Impedance matching volume control (which confuses me too but that's a different thread).

In my main setup I am using two velo subs wired via speaker level to two Polk RTi8's as my mains so I am not using the sub output.

My question is if I add a sub to the patio (running a projector for outdoor movie night) could I assign the sub out to zone 2 via coaxial composite cable?

I would obviously use a powered sub and would rather do it the Coaxial way (wiring & convenience) versus running speaker wire to the Sub's speaker level input.

If you need any more info on my system let me know.

Thanks in advance.
dragonvoi is offline  
post #1536 of 3826 Old 09-24-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,095
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
nope, the sub output is not re-assignable

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #1537 of 3826 Old 09-24-2008, 04:23 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonvoi View Post

In my main setup I am using two velo subs wired via speaker level to two Polk RTi8's as my mains so I am not using the sub output.

My question is if I add a sub to the patio (running a projector for outdoor movie night) could I assign the sub out to zone 2 via coaxial composite cable?

Although the sub is not reassignable .. there is a possible solution. Forget about Zone 2 altogether. Zone 2 is only designed for 2.0 sound. To get 2.1 you could hook up your two Polk atrium 60's to the Front L/R "B" series jacks. Hook up your patio sub to the Pre-out "SW" jack. When you want to play a BD/DVD on movie night, select the "B" series Front L/R speakers, set the sub to "YES" and play your movie. Your surrounds would still be playing in the main room and you wouldn't be able to play anything else in the main room of course, but this should work for you.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1538 of 3826 Old 09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Newbie
 
dragonvoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Most excellent jdsmoothie! I dont know how often we are going to use the PROJ (its starting to get cold and my patio is not done yet) so this works out!

I will use the 2nd zone for now for music, n stuff. Then when we do movie night i can switch out the wires (am using banana plugs) from zone 2 to B and drag the sub out to the patio!

my life is now made easier since I only have to prewire for coax to the sub as opposed to running speaker wire to the sub/speakers!

Thanks!!!
dragonvoi is offline  
post #1539 of 3826 Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Nikonowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Try pressing either the D/ST button on the remote or pressing the Direct/Stereo button on the main panel. This should get you DD 5.1 without any additional processing.

jdsmothie

Thanks for you response! I know that I can do that manually by pressing Direct/Stereo button on the main panel but what if I don't want to do so manually on each TV channel ? I would like to be able to set it globally once and for all as I really hate this matrix DD PLX into 7.1 channels even though the default (input) is 5.1 or even stereo. It is really annoying to hear these faint sounds coming from back speakers that are really artificial.

Does anyone know of the global settings and how I set them up ?

Regards,
Nikonowski
Nikonowski is offline  
post #1540 of 3826 Old 09-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Newbie
 
Ericc1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just pulled the trigger on the 2808CI from Amazon - only $558 as it is being phased out. For over $600 off MSRP I could not wait any longer on a new receiver. Will be here next week!
Ericc1970 is offline  
post #1541 of 3826 Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Newbie
 
DolbyDarryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another noob here. Been lurking for quite awhile and researching MANY HT receiver threads for my new set up and have settled on this one because it does most things well and doesn't do anything really bad. Plus the price right now on-line is killer. But after reading this entire thread I have a few questions.

#1 Some people have said they don't feel the stereo sound is very good. Since most rave about the surround sound from this receiver, I find it hard to believe it doesn't do well in stereo mode.Over half of my usage will be for stereo music so this is important to me. Any comments about that?

#2 I need the ability to play music from an ipod or cd player thru the right and left speakers AND a pair of outside speakers w/o using another amp. I will only have a 5.1 setup for surround. From what I've read this is possible. Please confirm.

#3 If #2 above is possible can I adjust the level for each set of speakers? Example; Inside right and left are much bigger and more efficient speakers so for those speakers and the outside speakers to play at the same listening level I would need to lower the volume to the inside speakers while keeping the outside ones at the higher level. Is that possible thru the receiver or would I need a speaker switch with volume control?

A huge thank you goes out to all of you for guiding me through this HT maze with your very detailed postings.
DolbyDarryl is offline  
post #1542 of 3826 Old 09-25-2008, 04:58 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonowski View Post

jdsmothie

Thanks for you response! I know that I can do that manually by pressing Direct/Stereo button on the main panel but what if I don't want to do so manually on each TV channel ? I would like to be able to set it globally once and for all as I really hate this matrix DD PLX into 7.1 channels even though the default (input) is 5.1 or even stereo. It is really annoying to hear these faint sounds coming from back speakers that are really artificial.

Does anyone know of the global settings and how I set them up ?

Regards,
Nikonowski

Change on each channel? Huh? The surround parameter is set for each input source so if you set Direct or Pure Direct it will be in effect for whatever your TV input source is regardless of the channel. The default setting (Audio Setup-Auto Surround Mode - ON)is for the Denon to remember your last setting so you just have to set it once and it's good to go until you change it or do a master reset. The other way to set it is to use one of the Quick Select Functions (3) that will also store your settings in memory.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1543 of 3826 Old 09-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
dlenart25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm. When I switch to direct stereo mode and pure direct I only get sound from my subwoofer...When I watch some commercials it only get sound from my subwoofer...Makes it hard to listen to music in two channel mode I'm thinking. So I have to listen to music in surround modes



Hmm watching ugly betty in HD right now and when commercials come on I only hear the subwoofer, but when ugly betty comes back on sounds return to normal.

Must be a setting somewhere, no?
dlenart25 is offline  
post #1544 of 3826 Old 09-25-2008, 06:58 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolbyDarryl View Post

Another noob here. Been lurking for quite awhile and researching MANY HT receiver threads for my new set up and have settled on this one because it does most things well and doesn't do anything really bad. Plus the price right now on-line is killer. But after reading this entire thread I have a few questions.

#1 Some people have said they don't feel the stereo sound is very good.

Really? Don't recall this, but then, to each their own. Not an issue though for the majority I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolbyDarryl View Post


#2 I need the ability to play music from an ipod or cd player thru the right and left speakers AND a pair of outside speakers w/o using another amp. I will only have a 5.1 setup for surround. From what I've read this is possible. Please confirm.

Sorry. Don't believe it is possible although just going by what the manual says as I only have a single zone 5.1 setup myself. In order to use the Pre-out to zone 2, you'll need another amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolbyDarryl View Post

#3 If #2 above is possible can I adjust the level for each set of speakers? Example; Inside right and left are much bigger and more efficient speakers so for those speakers and the outside speakers to play at the same listening level I would need to lower the volume to the inside speakers while keeping the outside ones at the higher level. Is that possible thru the receiver or would I need a speaker switch with volume control?

It is possible (with an another amp) through the remote. If you've got the 2808 a second remote is provided for controlling Zones 2 and 3. If you've got the 988, I'm guessing that can be done on the main remote.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1545 of 3826 Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlenart25 View Post

Hmm. When I switch to direct stereo mode and pure direct I only get sound from my subwoofer...When I watch some commercials it only get sound from my subwoofer...Makes it hard to listen to music in two channel mode I'm thinking. So I have to listen to music in surround modes



Hmm watching ugly betty in HD right now and when commercials come on I only hear the subwoofer, but when ugly betty comes back on sounds return to normal.

Must be a setting somewhere, no?

Possibly although could also be a defective unit. Has this always been the case or just recently? Although you can turn the "sub" on/off in Direct mode, the default is 2.1 and not 0.1. I'd either try a Master Reset or try Search this Thread ("direct sub only")to get more information as I recall it being discussed earlier in the year but don't recall the result.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1546 of 3826 Old 09-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Newbie
 
DolbyDarryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

the idea is that, if you aren't using 7.1 and are instead using 5.1, you can take those two amps that aren't being used and re-assign them to a different task, for example bi-amping the mains. or powering zone 2.

.

This is one of several posts indicating that I could use the right & left speakers AND the outside speakers w/o another amp as long as I was using only 5.1. Is this not correct info?
DolbyDarryl is offline  
post #1547 of 3826 Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolbyDarryl View Post

This is one of several posts indicating that I could use the right & left speakers AND the outside speakers w/o another amp as long as I was using only 5.1. Is this not correct info?

Sorry. I was focused on the Pre-outs. Yes, you can use the SBL and SBR outputs for Zone 2, with independent volume as I mentioned in response to your #3. And it does appear (from the menu anyway) that you can play the same source on both the Main and Zone 2 speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1548 of 3826 Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Newbie
 
DolbyDarryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Sorry. I was focused on the Pre-outs. Yes, you can use the SBL and SBR outputs for Zone 2, with independent volume as I mentioned in response to your #3. And it does appear (from the menu anyway) that you can play the same source on both the Main and Zone 2 speakers.

This is great news. Thanks for clarifying.
DolbyDarryl is offline  
post #1549 of 3826 Old 09-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Member
 
AHB900's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had put in an order for a onkyo tx-sr805 but due to audio delay problems i canceled my order and put in an order for the avr-2808CI bought it for 598.97 cant wait till it arrives....
AHB900 is offline  
post #1550 of 3826 Old 09-26-2008, 04:35 AM
Senior Member
 
guest68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Washington, MO
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB900 View Post

I had put in an order for a onkyo tx-sr805 but due to audio delay problems i canceled my order and put in an order for the avr-2808CI bought it for 598.97 cant wait till it arrives....

Were'd you find that?!?!?
guest68 is offline  
post #1551 of 3826 Old 09-26-2008, 05:27 AM
Senior Member
 
dlenart25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlenart25 View Post

Hmm. When I switch to direct stereo mode and pure direct I only get sound from my subwoofer...When I watch some commercials it only get sound from my subwoofer...Makes it hard to listen to music in two channel mode I'm thinking. So I have to listen to music in surround modes



Hmm watching ugly betty in HD right now and when commercials come on I only hear the subwoofer, but when ugly betty comes back on sounds return to normal.

Must be a setting somewhere, no?



I

This morning before I went to work I discovered It was a setting. Embarasssing but the unit was set for main speaker set B, instead of Main Speaker set A.

So that kind of explains everything.
I wasn't getting any sound from my from L&R mains at all. So that would explain only the subwoofer working in 2 channel direct/stereo modes.

However, in multichannel modes I was getting center channel, subwoofer, and surrounds. Becuase my mains image well i paid no attention to whether they were working or not. I did notice the front soundstage was a bit weak last night. Anyway, I'm happy now.
dlenart25 is offline  
post #1552 of 3826 Old 09-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Member
 
AHB900's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest68 View Post

Were'd you find that?!?!?

The price? Its everywhere now.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-2808...2455624&sr=8-1

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=88234
AHB900 is offline  
post #1553 of 3826 Old 09-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Member
 
guest68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Washington, MO
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Go to sleep for a little while and BAM! Your outta the loop!
guest68 is offline  
post #1554 of 3826 Old 09-26-2008, 02:29 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlenart25 View Post

I

This morning before I went to work I discovered It was a setting. Embarasssing but the unit was set for main speaker set B, instead of Main Speaker set A.

Too funny. Gotta love those easy fixes although don't think that one has come up in the past year. Thanks for letting us know though as it helps others. Too often someone receives a solution or two and then you never hear back from them as to how the problem was finally resolved.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1555 of 3826 Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Member
 
LittleCupcakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking about bi-amping. I really enjoyed it when I first started getting into records (LPs, that is), but my last amp couldn't do it.

Now that I've got the 2808CI, I'm going to give it a shot.

Here's the question:
I set the Amp Assign to "Front A Bi-Amp" which sets the amp to output the back surrounds to Front A. Great. Got it.

But, I also will want to record LPs to my computer using analog outs.

So I see this in the manual, under setting up recording to external device: Sources selected with the REC OUT mode are output to Zone 2 as well.

Does that sentence stop me from doing what I want, given that Zone 2 will also be bi-pumping the Front A? Or does one really have nothing to do with another? And how will any of this affect the 2808CI feature that allows REC OUT of one source while the amp outputs another to the loudspeakers, if at all?

Before I go in and wire everything, can anyone provide some guidance as to whether I can do what I want with bi-amping and REC OUT?

And "Dude, bi-amping is worthless" is not an acceptable response

Thanks, all!
LittleCupcakes is offline  
post #1556 of 3826 Old 09-26-2008, 07:30 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCupcakes View Post

Does that sentence stop me from doing what I want, given that Zone 2 will also be bi-pumping the Front A?

Not necessarily. In your current setup, the answer would be yes because there are only 7 channels available and you are using all 7 of them in your current setup. What might work, if I read the manual correctly, is that you could connect your analog cable to the Zone 2 pre-out and to an external amp and record out setting RECOUT to Zone 2.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1557 of 3826 Old 09-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Member
 
LittleCupcakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Not necessarily. In your current setup, the answer would be yes because there are only 7 channels available and you are using all 7 of them in your current setup. What might work, if I read the manual correctly, is that you could connect your analog cable to the Zone 2 pre-out and to an external amp and record out setting RECOUT to Zone 2.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I think REC OUT source can only be set to an input source, not to a Zone. But no extra amp anyway.

I'm no techno-guy, but are the analog outs in need of amplification when passing to a line in? Might the amplifier be bypassed totally when using analog outs (and so it doesn't matter what the amps are up to)?

Or maybe, under the Bi-Amp AMP ASSIGN setting, the Denon is programmed to properly handle the outputs by bypassing the Zone 2 Source setting. Like, if Bi Amp is on, then Zone 2 kind of doesn't enter the equation? Since the Zone 2 amp is for bi-amp, then Zone 2 can't be used and so nothing is output over Zone 2 so REC OUT is passed instead? Or something like that?

I'm grasping at straws here. I sure don't want to rewire just to experiemnt...but I'll probably have to. I'd like to find out in any case.
LittleCupcakes is offline  
post #1558 of 3826 Old 09-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Member
 
dealaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so i am very confused. I was able to grab a demo from Frys for the 988 for $325 and I see that I can also get 889 for $485.

988 is demo and 889 is brand new

I see that the 889 is the newer model having the new audyssey and other things. Between the 2 which one is better. Obvious 988 is cheaper but as far as features and other things which one is better and what are the differences between the two? Which one should I keep?
dealaddict is offline  
post #1559 of 3826 Old 09-27-2008, 03:59 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealaddict View Post

Ok so i am very confused. I was able to grab a demo from Frys for the 988 for $325 and I see that I can also get 889 for $485.

988 is demo and 889 is brand new

I see that the 889 is the newer model having the new audyssey and other things. Between the 2 which one is better. Obvious 988 is cheaper but as far as features and other things which one is better and what are the differences between the two? Which one should I keep?

Which one is better depends on your requirements. I would suggest you go to the Denon USA website and compare the two side by side to determine. The 988 is a beefier unit with higher quality components. The 988 has pre-outs the 889 doesn't. The 988 has a Zone 2, the 889 doesn't. The 889 has 4 HDMI inputs whereas the 988 only has 2. The only major thing the 889 has going for it is that it has the new Audyssey Dynamic Volume upgrade, which by itself is huge, although again depends on whether you can do without some of the features the 988 has that the 889 does not.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1560 of 3826 Old 09-27-2008, 04:43 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCupcakes View Post

Thanks for the suggestion!

I think REC OUT source can only be set to an input source, not to a Zone. But no extra amp anyway.

I'm no techno-guy, but are the analog outs in need of amplification when passing to a line in? Might the amplifier be bypassed totally when using analog outs (and so it doesn't matter what the amps are up to)?

Or maybe, under the Bi-Amp AMP ASSIGN setting, the Denon is programmed to properly handle the outputs by bypassing the Zone 2 Source setting. Like, if Bi Amp is on, then Zone 2 kind of doesn't enter the equation? Since the Zone 2 amp is for bi-amp, then Zone 2 can't be used and so nothing is output over Zone 2 so REC OUT is passed instead? Or something like that?

I'm grasping at straws here. I sure don't want to rewire just to experiemnt...but I'll probably have to. I'd like to find out in any case.

I've never used the RECOUT setup so I was trying to understand what the manual was saying (UGH!). Actually sitting in front of the AVR and going through the motions with the manual p. 49, looks like you just need to select the LP input as your RECOUT source. Connect your analog cable to either the DVR or VCR analog OUT and then to your computer. You should then be able to record your LPs although guess you're going to have to try it out to be sure.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2808ci by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off