The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the support, Mitch! It's still a fine receiver, and especially so at US$600, just a bit of a disappointment (and maybe cause of some flack from the better half) that it didn't include the Dyn. Volume...I'll survive though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscottparker View Post

Has anyone else encountered this problem, ie. being misled by the specs on Denon's website?

only about a million times, their online spec sheets are notoriously bad.

as others have said, no upgrade, sorry...

but, that being said, if you bought this through an Amazon merchant you can absolutely return it! (assuming you're not out of 30-days) Amazon has a very good customer service policy.

worst case I guess you sell it, perfect in-box and barely used, on ebay for $550 and learn from the experience...

the problem is you shouldn't have told her it doesn't have Dyn Vol, just turn on the "night mode" and say, "see, doesn't this sound great!!" then quietly swap in a 2809ci one day when she's not home...

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #1713 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 09:15 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post

Is there a way to check the firmware on the Denon? I'm wondering if the issue could've been addressed in hardware manufacured later, with nwer firmware? Regardless, I have my HTPC running my Blu-Ray and HD-DVD stuff, and I plan to send the audio PCM via optical, so I may not run into the issue at all.

What are people's opinion on using PCM versus HDMI audio? Will I be missing anything, or can Dolby TrueHD be passed via optical?

There is indeed a way to check your current firmware version. Turn the 2808 on (not in standby) and then use the On/Off button to turn it off. Turn it on again using the On/Off button while holding the Status and Return buttons (under the main panel door). Continue holding the Status and Return buttons down until the unit is fully powered ON and the release them. Each time you press the Status button it will cycle through different software configuration information. To get out of that mode, simply turn the unit off and then on again.

Initial configuration Info when purchased 09/07:
Main Version: 11.03
Sub Version: 00.32
DSP1 Ver: 36.49
DSP2 Ver: 39.39

Configuration after performing firmware update 02/08 (see post #656, p.22):
Main Version: 30.25
Sub Version: 00.35
DSP1 Ver: 36.56
DSP2 Ver: 39.45

Dolby TrueHD cannot be passed via optical, however, I believe the DTS core is passed instead which I understand is virtually the same.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1714 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 10:23 AM

Batpig-

I like it enough to skip the hassle of returning it or selling it....

Good news is I haven't told her it doesn't have the Dyn Vol yet...I like your suggestion much better than fessing up..and nothing spices up a marriage like subterfuge!
post #1715 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

good attitude - the 2808ci is a great receiver, so enjoy!

I have the 888 (one step down) and, honestly, the plan vanilla old "Night" mode does a decent job of not angering the wifey at night. It has three levels (low/mid/high) and, although I know the new Dynamic technologies are superior, I'm satisfied for the time being. Also, ignorance is bliss, as I've never heard Dynamic Eq/vol so I'll stay happy for now

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1716 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You are correct in that the splash page for the 2808CI does indeed have Dynamic Volume listed, however, it is incorrect which is a known issue with many of the Denon spec pages .. very poor QA work I'm afraid. Only the 2008 models (2809, 2309, 1909, etc.) have the Dynamic Volume and only the 3808 and above can be upgraded to include this firmware upgrade. Depending on your budget, I would imagine that 6th Ave would be willing to work out a return/trade for a 1909 which is roughly the same price as long as the power specs meet your requirements if you're primarily just looking for Dynamic Volume.

I left a message with the Denon Tech/CSR Director .. so hopefully the Dynamic Volume icon will be removed sooner rather than later.

jdsmoothie-

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response, and for contacting Denon to correct the error. I have thought about arranging a switch, but the cost of return shipping, etc. the hassle of disconnecting and reconnecting, and being without a receiver for the days or weeks it might take discouraged me. It's still a fine machine, and I'm satisfied overall, but wouldn't mind a kind overture from Denon...
post #1717 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

good attitude - the 2808ci is a great receiver, so enjoy!

I have the 888 (one step down) and, honestly, the plan vanilla old "Night" mode does a decent job of not angering the wifey at night. It has three levels (low/mid/high) and, although I know the new Dynamic technologies are superior, I'm satisfied for the time being. Also, ignorance is bliss, as I've never heard Dynamic Eq/vol so I'll stay happy for now

Okay, what I don't quite understand with MultiEQ XT, is why does it calibrate only at reference levels? Why not give the user the option to calibrate at the user's "typical" listening level?
post #1718 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The problem is that the room acoustics and the human perception of different sound frequencies will be different at different volume levels. What would you pick for the reference? Plus, Audyssey implementations in AVR's are limited by the miniscule processing power on the DSP chips, so they have to make compromises somewhere. You have to pick SOMETHING, if only for the sake of simplicity -- it's the same reason why there aren't user-definable EQ curves, and you are stuck with the Audyssey/Flat/Front options. These aren't computers, just AVR's... but a pro calibrator who can tap into the higher end features of Audyssey MultEQ XT could do more individualized setup to your tastes.

Anyway, that's the whole point of the new technologies in this year's receivers, it solves your whole issue. Audyssey MultEQ calibrates to reference, and then Dynamic EQ takes care of "shaping" the EQ curve to make sure that you preserve that sound quality at lower-than-reference volumes as acoustics/perception changes.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1719 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The problem is that the room acoustics and the human perception of different sound frequencies will be different at different volume levels. What would you pick for the reference? Plus, Audyssey implementations in AVR's are limited by the miniscule processing power on the DSP chips, so they have to make compromises somewhere. You have to pick SOMETHING, if only for the sake of simplicity -- it's the same reason why there aren't user-definable EQ curves, and you are stuck with the Audyssey/Flat/Front options. These aren't computers, just AVR's... but a pro calibrator who can tap into the higher end features of Audyssey MultEQ XT could do more individualized setup to your tastes.

Anyway, that's the whole point of the new technologies in this year's receivers, it solves your whole issue. Audyssey MultEQ calibrates to reference, and then Dynamic EQ takes care of "shaping" the EQ curve to make sure that you preserve that sound quality at lower-than-reference volumes as acoustics/perception changes.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess it would've been nice to set the volume to reference level, and then have the it calibrate. Should you decide you want -15db, then set the volume at that level, and calibrate. What I never really thought about was the fact the the whole calibration "method" is based at ref levels. If a different level is necessary, then it may be that a slightly different method is necessary.
post #1720 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I really think the limiting factor is the (relative to computers) minuscule amount of processing power in AVR's and their little DSP chips. They just had to make some choices and trade-offs to keep things simple and manageable.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1721 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Sy-

I'm having a problem when I bitstream a DTS-MA 7.1 track from my Sammy BD-P1400 to my Denon 2808 that only has 5.1 speakers attached. The audio on the rear channels is overly loud and distorted and the sound from the front channels is distorted and nearly non existant. This happened on a couple of New Line videos one of which was the Harold and Kumar Guantanamo video. If I send the audio stream via PCM it is fine but then again it kinda defeats the purpose of having an amp that can decode MA. I read about the firmware upgrade via RS232 but am not sure if it would rectify the problem by the description of what it fixed. I tried reading the 1700 posts in this thread but I'm getting a headache! Thanks for any help!
post #1722 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

you don't have to search far, this problem is discussed on the previous page of this thread, all within the last couple of days. appears to be a bug with DTS-MA 7.1 on the 2808ci...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1723 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Sy-

OK so I read the problem as it was discussed on the previous page and their fix was to "Set the receiver to 7.1". Now this is all fine and dandy and it sounds fine but this fix raises a couple of issues....

- What happens to the sound in the 2 rear surround sound channels? when the amp is in 5.1 does it not take the 2 rear surround discreet channels from a 7.1 stream and mix it in the the 2 surround channels? Now if the amp is in 7.1 config and I don't have the 2 rear surround speakers connected am I not missing the sound from those 2 channels?

- What do I do if I'm using those 2 speakers for a zone 3 config in a separate room? I don't think it fair to be piping the rear surround sound noise into my upstairs bathroom while I'm watching a movie downstairs?

Does the 2/08 firmware fix this problem or does everyone have a faulty 2808?
post #1724 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscottparker View Post

Hi-

Just purchased and received the Denon 2808CI. Based on Denon's website, I was led to believe the unit included the "Dynamic Volume" capability to moderate volume changes which occur between programs and commercials. Denon's website includes the "Dynamic Volume" logo in the splash page for the 2808, and in the detailed specificiations page, there is a green check indicating the receiver also has the feature. This was part of my "sales pitch" to my wife in justifying the purchase of this receiver! I got it for about $600 from 6th Ave Electronics, through Amazon.

Brad

Same for me. I ordered it 2 weeks ago and it won't get to me until 11-17. There's no way to trick the wife as our old proscan tv that just died had this feature (their version) and it's very obvious when we watch a tv without it. I ordered this unit based on the new 52a850 that's on the boat as well does not have this feature.

Is anyone using a second remote for the unit? I'll need to give her mute capability from her seat, but she can't have mine!

ÂThe cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the seaÂ
post #1725 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy- View Post

OK so I read the problem as it was discussed on the previous page and their fix was to "Set the receiver to 7.1". Now this is all fine and dandy and it sounds fine but this fix raises a couple of issues....

- What happens to the sound in the 2 rear surround sound channels? when the amp is in 5.1 does it not take the 2 rear surround discreet channels from a 7.1 stream and mix it in the the 2 surround channels? Now if the amp is in 7.1 config and I don't have the 2 rear surround speakers connected am I not missing the sound from those 2 channels?

- What do I do if I'm using those 2 speakers for a zone 3 config in a separate room? I don't think it fair to be piping the rear surround sound noise into my upstairs bathroom while I'm watching a movie downstairs?

I have your issue with my Amp assign to zone 2. To my knowledge the new firmware that Denon Jeff pm'd a few people doesn't fix that. One way to know is if JDsmoothie would set his up like ours and try Golden Compass or one of the other New Line discs. I really wonder if this will happen with all future DTSMA 7.1 track, regardless of Production Co.

Tony B
post #1726 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

from Sy:

What do I do if I'm using those 2 speakers for a zone 3 config in a separate room? I don't think it fair to be piping the rear surround sound noise into my upstairs bathroom while I'm watching a movie downstairs?

I think the only way to configure it to 7.1 is to turn off amp assign to the different zone. Therefore you wouldn't have the sound upstairs.
I guess if this option works we can choose between using the Denon menu to do this or your BD player menu to PCM or bistream standard. A minor PITA for now, but as more and more movies get released in 7.1 we may have to get used to PCM and/or just get the new receiver. I did sneak this one in place of my 2805 and no one in my abode noticed

Tony B
post #1727 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 06:33 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy- View Post

AFAIK, no it does not. The update only changed the lights being shown from 5.1 to 7.1. However, we can start bugging Denon to try and fix the problem with another firmware update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

One way to know is if JDsmoothie would set his up like ours and try Golden Compass or one of the other New Line discs. I really wonder if this will happen with all future DTSMA 7.1 track, regardless of Production Co.

Would love to help, however, no can do. I've got a PS3 and can't bitstream the DTS MA 7.1. I did however, find a couple other guys that received the firmware updates and PM'd them to see if they can recreate the issue you're describing.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #1728 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 07:33 PM
585-645-1006

For what it's worth .. the Dynamic Volume icon has been removed from the Denon 2808CI splash page.

post #1729 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 09:05 PM

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already. I have been poring through this thread and may have missed it...

I'm trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on purchasing a 2808CI. I know that the major feature update of the 2809 is the additional Audyssey Dynamic Volume. The question is, is it worth roughly twice the price of the 2808 to get this?

The difference in commercials versus broadcast is not really an issue for me, but the Denon site also claims it helps out with leveling out soft and loud parts of movies. Is this really a big deal given the fact that this AVR is for my media room and the volume level is not critical.

When one goes to a movie theater, does this kind of leveling happen? If not, would I really need it for watching movies at home?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to minimize the feature, but I wonder if it really is worth spending twice as much on the receiver to get it. I know that the answer to such a question is usually, "it depends" and "your mileage may vary" but I am working with a budget and the $600 difference would really need to be justified.

Am I missing something obvious here and would I be disappointed with the 2808 that does not have this feature. I'm upgrading from a Yamaha RX V1300 receiver, so my guess is that even the 2808CI is going to make a big difference.

BTW: I know that the 2809 has more HDMI inputs, but that is not a necessary feature for me right now.

Thoughts?
post #1730 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

you will never find an answer to the question of "is XXX feature worth the money". only you and your budget and needs can decide. there is a ton of info out there on these features, and many user reviews throughout the various threads on the new models. read about the features, understand what they do, and then decide if it's worth it to you. also know that there are cheaper prices out there and in the span of a few months (once the 2809/989 isn't brand new) there will be more and more deals.

however, the new Audyssey features by all accounts work as advertised, and most seem to love them. Dynamic EQ is less important the louder you turn it up (the point of this feature is to maintain sound quality at lower volumes), and Dynamic Volume is useful if you are constantly fiddling with the volume control when watching movies (i.e. your wife is sleeping and you turn it up to hear the dialogue, then all of a sudden you have to quickly grab the remote and crank it down because a big explosion happens and you know your wife is about to start yelling at you...)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1731 of 3826 Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
My thought would be that if the system is in an isolated area and having commercials a little louder (technically illegal) isn't an issue. then it seems they are fairly even on paper if you can believe the Denon site. For me even without Audyssey Dynamic Volume I can't justify the price difference.

ÂThe cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the seaÂ
post #1732 of 3826 Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by insboswiz View Post

I'm trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on purchasing a 2808CI. I know that the major feature update of the 2809 is the additional Audyssey Dynamic Volume. The question is, is it worth roughly twice the price of the 2808 to get this?...

Thoughts?

It wasn't for me.

My Denon 2805 died last week suddenly and rather than have it repaired, I decided to upgrade to get the new audio codecs since my Panny BD30 blu-ray player doesn't have them.

I was about to spend the coin for the latest version of the 2800, the 2809 but then I saw that several stores were offloading the 2808CI at substantial discounts. I didn't really need the additional HDMI inputs of the 2809 (and if I eventually do, I can always get the Oppo switcher). As for Dynamic Volume and EQ, the 2808 is used for my Home Theater where I want the widest dynamic range without any electronic manipulation.

DV and DEQ may be all they are claimed to be, but without hearing them in action and living with them for an extended period of time, I couldn't make an informed choice. I could decide that a $500 difference between the 2808 and 2809 was not worth me finding out.
post #1733 of 3826 Old 11-01-2008, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I too have the Denon 988 and Panny BD30. I also experience the audio distortion problem with Dark City. The other New Line 7.1 title I have (Shoot 'Em Up) plays fine, as does other 7.1 DTSMA titles like Sleeping Beauty. I played Dark City with the "Phantom 7.1 Fix" on my 5.1 set-up and it does eliminate the distortion, but it also takes audyssey EQ settings out of the equation. You also lose lots of discrete rear surround info, as your rears are only playing sounds meant for the side surrounds of a 7.1 set-up. The other option, setting the BD30 to PCM, will only send the DTS 1.5MBPS core to your receiver as it cannot decode the lossless codec. Pick your option, but either will not provide optimal listening.

"To Live Outside The Law You Must Be Honest"
post #1734 of 3826 Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 AM
585-645-1006

It seems there is a dedicated thread on this issue here and that Denon came up with an update sometime back in August for the 3808 although nothing for the 2808 is mentioned in the thread. DenonJeff has not been active in the forum for many months now. I'll try to contact him or the CSR manager next week by phone to find out if they're working on an update for the 2808 or not.

post #1735 of 3826 Old 11-01-2008, 05:37 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I know that the major feature update of the 2809 is the additional Audyssey Dynamic Volume. The question is, is it worth roughly twice the price of the 2808 to get this?

From your post, doesn't sound like Dynamic Volume would be a requirement for you, however, keep in mind that at this point the 2809 can be had for roughly $200 less than MSRP (just as the 2808 could be when it was first released) . Also, you might want to consider the 2309 which includes the new Audyssey features and additional HDMI inputs, same wattage as your Yamaha, and sells for roughly same price as the 2808 is now. Denon is charging 3808 and 4308 owners $100 for the Audyssey upgrade package (also includes other updates as well) .. so it's at least worth that much.

post #1736 of 3826 Old 11-01-2008, 09:49 AM

Yes, I looked at the 2309 but I feel that I may be giving up too much for the dynamic volume features.

I know that you get the lower end remote with the 2309 and you give up a bit of power (not that big a deal) but also a full pound of weight, which makes me wonder what I'm giving up amp-wise.

The other thing that continues to stick in my mind is that there is a $350 delta in MSRP between the two units, so it makes me think that I might be better off with last year's higher end model at a price that is roughly $250 less than this year's lower end model.

The real kicker here is that this purchase would really represent my first foray into truly higher end Home Audio and I don't know what I don't know. While one can learn a lot for these forums, until you have actually gotten in the game with your first real receiver and learned a thing or two, you really can't appreciate the pros and cons of the various options. Hence, my asking what people who have been there and done that think.
post #1737 of 3826 Old 11-01-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

^Actually, that's a very good approach.

We all have our personal likes and dislikes about particular brands/features. However, what it eventually comes down to is you are the one who will need to live with the unit.

If, after this purchase, you are able to make a more informed choice on your next purchase (and trust me, there WILL be an inevitable next purchase!) then whatever you buy will be worth the investment. You can always sell the older unit on eBay, or move it into another room as a secondary system.
post #1738 of 3826 Old 11-01-2008, 12:27 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

The other thing that continues to stick in my mind is that there is a $350 delta in MSRP between the two units, so it makes me think that I might be better off with last year's higher end model at a price that is roughly $250 less than this year's lower end model.

Clearly the 2808 has some more advanced features/components than the 2309, although as was pointed out to you in the HT thread, your're better served focusing on the new speakers first. With the new speakers in hand, you can test drive how they sound with a given receiver. Most likely the DTS MA 7.1 audio glitch currently observed in the 2808 has been solved in the newer 2008 models (although hopefully solved in the 2808 as well if they can provide a firmware update). They are both available for roughly the same price so I wouldn't discount the 2309 so quickly (personally I'd jump on the Dynamic Volume given the opportunity as I watch more TV than Blu-Ray movies and it gets old having to turn down the volume when loud commercials come on, although I've started taking advantage my HD DVR and recording my shows first so that I can just skip the commercials).

post #1739 of 3826 Old 11-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It seems there is a dedicated thread on this issue here and that Denon came up with an update sometime back in August for the 3808 although nothing for the 2808 is mentioned in the thread. DenonJeff has not been active in the forum for many months now. I'll try to contact him or the CSR manager next week by phone to find out if they're working on an update for the 2808 or not.

Thanks and I'm relieved to read that some of the other 7.1 DTS-MA's play fine with the 2808 set to 5.1.

Tony B
post #1740 of 3826 Old 11-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From your post, doesn't sound like Dynamic Volume would be a requirement for you, however, keep in mind that at this point the 2809 can be had for roughly $200 less than MSRP (just as the 2808 could be when it was first released) . Also, you might want to consider the 2309 which includes the new Audyssey features and additional HDMI inputs, same wattage as your Yamaha, and sells for roughly same price as the 2808 is now. Denon is charging 3808 and 4308 owners $100 for the Audyssey upgrade package (also includes other updates as well) .. so it's at least worth that much.

Absolutely. The only reason I got the 2808 vs the 2308 was that I needed the Zone 2 video output (not an easy thing to find below 1K). Regardless, you can check with 6th Ave as several of us got a sweet deal on the 2808 when it was newly released. Just call and ask one of the salesmen for their best price. You never know in these times? I believe we got ours for 400 below MSRP.

Tony B
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2808ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page