The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 3826 Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
interesting, I should note this over in the 1909/789 thread and see if others get the same result.

I never even thought to suggest that as a solution, I almost just assumed that most folks leave it at "Auto" as it is. My PS3's HDMI setting are all set to Auto and everything works without a hitch. I have an AppleTV though as my digital music transport so I've never tried MP3's from the PS3 to verify.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 3826 Old 11-26-2008, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

interesting, I should note this over in the 1909/789 thread and see if others get the same result.

I never even thought to suggest that as a solution, I almost just assumed that most folks leave it at "Auto" as it is. My PS3's HDMI setting are all set to Auto and everything works without a hitch. I have an AppleTV though as my digital music transport so I've never tried MP3's from the PS3 to verify.

More info.......I think I discovered part of the problem, which lies in using the PS3 to play a blu ray disc. When the disc starts playing the Denon panel correctly shows "MultiChannel In", and all is good.

When you finish watching the disc is when the problem arises. If you try to play music after playing a blu ray disc, the either the Denon keeps seeing the audio signal as Multichannel, or the PS3 keeps reporting it to the Denon as Multichannel, but either way the Multichannel stays lit on the Denon panel and is locked in, you can't do any audio processing at all other than switching to stereo or pure.

I made a mistake in how to correct the problem.

You need to go to sound settings, then audio output, and choose optical, not hdmi. After choosing optical, then switching back to HDMI if you're watching the Denon front panel you can see it change from multichannel to PLIIxx music.

I originally thought this might be happenning because the receiver was set to Auto for the surround sound mode, which automatcially switches to the last mode used for any particular input, but after I switched Auto off, it still continued to happen.

Not sure it this is a PS3 problem or a Denon problem, but if you can follow what I wrote above you should be able to recreate the issue and then fix it.

Hope this helps people
post #1893 of 3826 Old 11-27-2008, 05:13 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post

When you finish watching the disc is when the problem arises. If you try to play music after playing a blu ray disc, the either the Denon keeps seeing the audio signal as Multichannel, or the PS3 keeps reporting it to the Denon as Multichannel, but either way the Multichannel stays lit on the Denon panel and is locked in, you can't do any audio processing at all other than switching to stereo or pure.

Yep, this is true. Was able to recreate it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post

I originally thought this might be happenning because the receiver was set to Auto for the surround sound mode, which automatcially switches to the last mode used for any particular input, but after I switched Auto off, it still continued to happen.

The Auto Surround Mode setting is for memorizing the last setting for each "signal input type" rather than each "input/source". As you were playing two different input types, the setting would not have gone into effect.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1894 of 3826 Old 11-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Is there a down side to running the audio from my BP to the 2808 via the optic cable rather then using the HDMI? I'd like to run the HDMI from the BD strait to the tv so my wife will have less trouble using the BD. I still want the best audio I can get out of the sound system when I use it though.

ÂThe cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the seaÂ
post #1895 of 3826 Old 11-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Sy-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeronesia View Post

Is there a down side to running the audio from my BP to the 2808 via the optic cable rather then using the HDMI? I'd like to run the HDMI from the BD strait to the tv so my wife will have less trouble using the BD. I still want the best audio I can get out of the sound system when I use it though.

If you want to use any of the lossless codecs (dts-ma, Dolby truehd, uncompressed PCM) you have to run HDMI from your BP to your 2808! Else you are limited to the compressed codecs that optical allows. You don't buy a Ferrari and install moped tires on it! If you want you wife to have an easy time watching blu, get a harmony remote!
post #1896 of 3826 Old 11-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy- View Post

If you want to use any of the lossless codecs (dts-ma, Dolby truehd, uncompressed PCM) you have to run HDMI from your BP to your 2808! Else you are limited to the compressed codecs that optical allows. You don't buy a Ferrari and install moped tires on it! If you want you wife to have an easy time watching blu, get a harmony remote!

That's why I asked. You're right, I don't want to loose any quality. Is the harmony an easier way to control the 2808? We just got a Samsung 52a850 and it comes with a "wife" remote and she is more then happy with its five buttons, power, vol up and down and channel up and down. Shes not a tard, just not interested in messing with extra stuff.

post #1897 of 3826 Old 11-28-2008, 03:58 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

That's why I asked. You're right, I don't want to loose any quality. Is the harmony an easier way to control the 2808? We just got a Samsung 52a850 and it comes with a "wife" remote and she is more then happy with its five buttons, power, vol up and down and channel up and down. Shes not a tard, just not interested in messing with extra stuff.

The Harmony would probably be the best choice with some work on both your part (programming) and her part as well (learning new remote), although another option would be an HDMI switcher for roughly the same price so she can watch the BD straight to the Sammy and just use the Sammy remote. The Harmony can be programmed to turn on all (3) components, switch to the appropriate input source on the Denon with the parameters you have previously selected for BDs, as well as turning on the Sammy, all with the push of a button. At that point she'd just have to control channel and volume selection which is what her Sammy remote does now.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #1898 of 3826 Old 11-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, I'll do some reading on it.

post #1899 of 3826 Old 11-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

For those interested, on amazon, you can get the 988 for $499 and with a amazon cc, you get 3%, so 485 OTD (free standard shipping too). Hell'va deal.
post #1900 of 3826 Old 11-29-2008, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post

For those interested, on amazon, you can get the 988 for $499 and with a amazon cc, you get 3%, so 485 OTD (free standard shipping too). Hell'va deal.

I sure think it is.

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
post #1901 of 3826 Old 11-29-2008, 09:34 AM

I went on the Denon website to look at the ipod docks and they have an ASD-1 listed in the accessories, but the Ipod chart lists the ASD-11 as the newest one. I don't need wireless, so which one should I use with a 2nd generation Nano (8gb) or an ipod Touch? Will I ge better results out of the dock than a Y cable hooked into the ipod's headphone jack?
post #1902 of 3826 Old 11-29-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

the dock will give better sound quality than a headphone jack Y-cable because is can access the digital data, the headphone jack is already D/A'd and has weak output. Plus, with a dock you get the convenience feature of just being able to plop your ipod down and have it connect up and charge.

however, I highly, highly recommend a 3rd-party solution unless you really want to be able to control the ipod through your Denon remote. In general, the receiver-branded docks suck, and most docks in general have huge limitations in terms of ipod functionality. I don't have the Denon dock (I use AppleTV) but you should make sure to google and read user reviews and see what the complaints are about functionality and stuff...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1903 of 3826 Old 11-29-2008, 08:13 PM

OK Batpig, my wife is already mad at you for giving me the receiver fever again. So IF I were going to get an ipod dock from someone for Christmas should I get the ASD-1 or ASD-11? I can't tell from the website which is the newest one. It lists the ASD-1 in the accessories, but the compatibility chart shows the ASD-11 as "new." Thanks!
post #1904 of 3826 Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Sy-

AppleTV = Yummy!
post #1905 of 3826 Old 11-29-2008, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
you sure ?

Dock gives line-out level analogue but not digital AFAIK ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

the dock will give better sound quality than a headphone jack Y-cable because is can access the digital data, the headphone jack is already D/A'd and has weak output. Plus, with a dock you get the convenience feature of just being able to plop your ipod down and have it connect up and charge.

however, I highly, highly recommend a 3rd-party solution unless you really want to be able to control the ipod through your Denon remote. In general, the receiver-branded docks suck, and most docks in general have huge limitations in terms of ipod functionality. I don't have the Denon dock (I use AppleTV) but you should make sure to google and read user reviews and see what the complaints are about functionality and stuff...

post #1906 of 3826 Old 11-30-2008, 04:31 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post

OK Batpig, my wife is already mad at you for giving me the receiver fever again. So IF I were going to get an ipod dock from someone for Christmas should I get the ASD-1 or ASD-11? I can't tell from the website which is the newest one. It lists the ASD-1 in the accessories, but the compatibility chart shows the ASD-11 as "new." Thanks!

From the chart it appears that the newer model, ASD-11 offers a remote video function not offered by the earlier ASD-1 model, although it also shows firmware updates are being provided to the 2309 and higher models to add viewing video in browse mode as well, an update apparently not being offered for the 2808. However, rather than jumping on the Denon docking station bandwagon, as batpig "strongly recommended" spend some time doing research on 3rd party solutions as this docking station offers only limited functionality. Also, you might want to reconsider an ethernet or wireless solution for additional capabilities down the road, even if you don't have a wireless router yet. Note: A wireless router also adds an additional firewall feature to ensure a higher level of security to prevent internet intruders gaining access to your PC. And for a little over $100 more, an APPLE TV all but makes the docking station obsolete and offers far more functionality.

A previous poster on this thread noted that the dock control for the ASD-3W will not work with the 2808 (also confirmed by Denon Tech support), and although not the model you're interested in buying, if you do decide on a Denon solution, I would suggest you call Denon tech support and confirm which Denon models work and what limitations or issues are currently known with the 2808.

post #1907 of 3826 Old 11-30-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

you sure ?

Dock gives line-out level analogue but not digital AFAIK ?

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant that the Denon dock accesses the data direct from the docking port in the bottom, and you are correct that it then does D/A and outputs analog to the receiver. I was just trying to say that using the dock port will give higher audio quality than the weak, non-line-level signal from the headphone jack.

To Mark - I can't give any specific recommendations as I haven't used any Denon docks. just do what jd and I recommended: do some research on those Denon docks and make sure they will actually meet your needs in terms of features/compatibility.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1908 of 3826 Old 11-30-2008, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone come up with a way to control Zone 2 without interfering with Zone 1 with a Harmony One? I just ordered the 988 and it will arrive on Tuesday. I want to setup my Harmony One to control it and especially the Second Zone functions. After a quick forum search, the consensus in the Harmony One thread was to ask in the individual AVRs thread. I've read a post about people setting up a "second" receiver with the Zone 2 commands (at least with their Onkyo receivers). The ideal setup would allow single button Macro control to a zone 2 function (streaming music from computer, radio, cd etc) and an easy way to shut that function down without interrupting Zone 1. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
post #1909 of 3826 Old 12-01-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

This might be a better workround, one which I'm going to try myself for different reasons (my PVR is connected to two TVs and the second needs sound through HDMI to be able to hear it):

Get a 1:2 HDMI splitter and put it on the output of the BD player, feed one output to the amp and the other to the TV. If you get a proper powered one it should isolate both outputs and allow the amp to decode the HD sound formats and the TV speakers will also work with the amp off.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #1910 of 3826 Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

Get a 1:2 HDMI splitter and put it on the output of the BD player, feed one output to the amp and the other to the TV. If you get a proper powered one it should isolate both outputs and allow the amp to decode the HD sound formats and the TV speakers will also work with the amp off.

I like this idea, thanks. I'll look on line for a splitter. I put an output from the tv to the avr and was using that last night with the tv volume off and I liked it much better. We have no sat or cable boxes here so it's old school with the coax going strait to the tv.

post #1911 of 3826 Old 12-02-2008, 09:29 AM

I have had my 988 for about 6 months and love it, although set up was somewhat of a chore considering my AV skill set and the poorly written manual. This leads me to my question. I just bought a Denon ASD-11R ipod dock and hooked it up last night and the only sound come from my center channel speaker. I have a Denon CD player hooked up and it plays fine out of the front left and right and the sub. I'm just wondering if someone can help before I screw up all of the my present setting. Thanks in advance
post #1912 of 3826 Old 12-02-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlake View Post

I just bought a Denon ASD-11R ipod dock and hooked it up last night and the only sound come from my center channel speaker.

It sounds like you're listening to the iPod in Prologic II mode (or similar). Try changing the mode to Stereo or Stereo direct and the 2808 will remember what mode you use for each input. You can also set the 'restorer' mode on a per input setting too, which might improve the SQ of your compressed iPod music tracks.

I'm loving my 2808 as it's so flexible. I've even setup the three memories (below the volume control) for TV viewing, loud BluRay viewing and CD listening with my prefered surround mode, speaker level settings, EQ and tone settings.

post #1913 of 3826 Old 12-02-2008, 11:46 AM

X2 on using the "restorer" mode. I thinks it helps a lot.
post #1914 of 3826 Old 12-02-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncsrule View Post

X2 on using the "restorer" mode. I thinks it helps a lot.

I only realised, when I checked before posting that reply, that you can set restorer on for one input and off for another. I've also found that you can have different settings 64/128/HD,etc for different inputs.

I liked the 'HD' setting when using DVB TV broadcasts as it added a bit of sparkle using that setting, but as I thought it was a global setting I've previously left it off. I've now assigned it to my low level TV listening preset as a kind of 'loudness' function. I already have an extra +3db on the sub & surrounds on that preset to allow for the -30db MV setting. For my louder BluRay preset I've turned it off.

This thing is soooo tweakable. With my old Denon 3805 I used to want to have a bit of boost on the surrounds for low levelProLogic II TV listening, but you could only change levels globally. It was a pain having to lower the levels whenever I watched a DVD/BD with the volume cranked up as the surrounds would be overpowering at higher listening levels. With these preset memories I can do the changes at a single button press.

post #1915 of 3826 Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

It sounds like you're listening to the iPod in Prologic II mode (or similar). Try changing the mode to Stereo or Stereo direct and the 2808 will remember what mode you use for each input. You can also set the 'restorer' mode on a per input setting too, which might improve the SQ of your compressed iPod music tracks.

I'm loving my 2808 as it's so flexible. I've even setup the three memories (below the volume control) for TV viewing, loud BluRay viewing and CD listening with my prefered surround mode, speaker level settings, EQ and tone settings.

Kelvin1965: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. All is good now, and you've shown me a few things I didn't know were existed.
post #1916 of 3826 Old 12-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Hi all, i've posted this comment in the asd-3w as well but that thread doesnt seem to be used a lot so hopefully you dont mind I give it a shot here as well.
I'm really starting to regret I bought the ASd-3W dock. (remote controlled with AVR 2808ci) Very poor browsing tools in the GUI but moreover every approx. 2 hours the sound dies! When it does the GUI keeps going for a while, track counter even still running but simply no sound signal to the AVR anymore. After a while the thing completely locks up tho and can only be brought back to live by taking off power a few seconds. Problem occurs while playback from iPod, network, or iNet radio). I consider it as a fault and am considering to bring it back under warranty. Sounds familiar to anyone?
Also, recently have installed new firmware 7671 but can't find anything about fixes or sumtin. Anyone knows?

thanx.

Dynaudio Excite16/X22 Center/Sub300/Sat42, Denon 2808ci, Philips 46PFL8007
post #1917 of 3826 Old 12-03-2008, 03:18 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr__Pill View Post

I'm really starting to regret I bought the ASd-3W dock. (remote controlled with AVR 2808ci) Very poor browsing tools ....

It's unfortunate you didn't browse this thread before your purchase as you would have found posts regarding the poor browsing ability of the Denon Ipod docking stations and the recommedation to look at 3rd party docking stations with better features.

Quote:

in the GUI but moreover every approx. 2 hours the sound dies! When it does the GUI keeps going for a while, track counter even still running but simply no sound signal to the AVR anymore. After a while the thing completely locks up tho and can only be brought back to live by taking off power a few seconds. Problem occurs while playback from iPod, network, or iNet radio). I consider it as a fault and am considering to bring it back under warranty. Sounds familiar to anyone?

Doubt it's going to help you; however, there's a known problem with the ASD-3W and the AVR. As I recall the dock control feature has to be turned off.

Quote:

Also, recently have installed new firmware 7671 but can't find anything about fixes or sumtin. Anyone knows?
thanx.

This update was for the ASD-3W?

post #1918 of 3826 Old 12-03-2008, 06:42 PM

recently purchased 2808. after running the setup i am finding that my towers are underperforming. seems as if not delivering mid-low frequencies. I have them set to large and the freq at 40. I have tried them in surround, stereo, and direct all with the same effect. Where else do i look to adjust? Thanks for any help
post #1919 of 3826 Old 12-03-2008, 07:08 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsfla View Post

recently purchased 2808. after running the setup i am finding that my towers are underperforming. seems as if not delivering mid-low frequencies. I have them set to large and the freq at 40. I have tried them in surround, stereo, and direct all with the same effect. Where else do i look to adjust? Thanks for any help

What towers do you have? Do they have powered subs? Have you tried setting them to small with a higher crossover freq?

post #1920 of 3826 Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM

Just pulled the trigger on the 988 & the OPPO HM-31 Amazon promotion. Not a bad deal boy's 589.69 shipped! I was looking real hard at the 3808....Just can't beat this unit for the $$$. Looking forward to joining the ranks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2808ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page