The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 3822 Old 12-10-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone using one of the Denon docks to run their iTouch or iPhone through the 2808? i would love to run my iPhone through the unit to utilize its music library. per denon's site it seems all their docks are compatible. just wondering if a dock is the route to go or can i just plug it via an old fashion stereo plug? much thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 3822 Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 894
you can always just use a stereo plug (from the headphone jack split out with a Y-cable) but it's not going to sound as good as a docked / direct-wired solution (utilizing the docking port on the bottom).

if you have an iPhone, I HIGHLY recommend you just get an AppleTV instead. you can use your iPhone to control the music as a remote control, so you can walk around with your phone and control your stereo from anywhere in the house. and your iTunes music is automatically synced and ready to go. but, best of all, ATV has digital out (either optical or hdmi) so you can output the raw 2-channel PCM digital sound to your 2808/988 and utilize the Burr Brown DAC's and AL24+ processing.

if you must use a dock, do a lot of research and read user reviews. almost every single 3rd-party docking solution has bugs and/or usability drawbacks, so make sure to read a lot of reviews before you drop money on anything.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #1983 of 3822 Old 12-10-2008, 05:39 PM

When I was playing with the DSP did I screw up my Audyessey settings?
post #1984 of 3822 Old 12-11-2008, 10:21 AM

Me again - sorry. I had AT&T U-verse installed this morning. My receiver is showing the signal coming in as 2-channel instead of 5.1. I have been through every menu I can find, but the box is connected via HDMI and the input is set on automatic. The display is reading Dolby PLII Cinema. Is this setting as good as Dolby Digital which is what showed when I had TimeWarner? I can switch around to Neo, 6.1, and some of the other settings that I have not spent much time trying yet, but I just want to know if I don't have something set correctly. Thanks!
post #1985 of 3822 Old 12-11-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

if you are only getting 2-channel something is set wrong on the cable box. all the Denon can do is tell you what you are feeding it. are you sure you are on a channel which has 5.1 DD? keep checking those settings on the cable box and make sure you have enabled full dolby digital output.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1986 of 3822 Old 12-11-2008, 11:17 AM

Before you can tell, you want to make sure you're watching programming encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1. You'll need to be on a hi-def channel. I'd flip around the high-def channels and see if anything lights up the Dolby Digital.

Keep in mind that a channel will often switch from 5.1 for the program you're watching to 2.0 for commercials. When you switch to 2.0 the receiver will start using the pro logic II on it.

If nothing is lighting up the 5.1, then I suppose it could be a setting on the cable box, but I don't think my Comcast box ever needed me to do anything special to enable 5.1.

Hope that helps.

I don't want FOP, *********! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
post #1987 of 3822 Old 12-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

if you are only getting 2-channel something is set wrong on the cable box. all the Denon can do is tell you what you are feeding it. are you sure you are on a channel which has 5.1 DD? keep checking those settings on the cable box and make sure you have enabled full dolby digital output.

I got the answer over on the HDTV Programming forum. Apparently AT&T is now aware that the HDMI port does not support 5.1, but is planning a firmware update soon to address this. Until then I can just use the composite/optical connection that does support 5.1. Do you ever wish you had just left something alone? Of course that now creates the problem of how to have the connection directly from the cable box to the TV so we can have the audio go through the TV speakers for watching TV after the kids go to bed, plus the analog connection to the receiver for zone 2 audio. I'll have to study on that tonight. Maybe my kids just won't get to sleep anymore or I'll have to experiment with the night settings. Too much information running through my brain!
post #1988 of 3822 Old 12-11-2008, 06:35 PM

AAAAAHHHH! I got the 5.1 Dolby Digital to work by connecting the optical cable. I connected the red/blue/green video cable to the cable box and receiver, but I can't get any video. Will this go out through the HDMI out to the TV in the HDMI in or do I have to run a RBG cable from the receiver to the TV? I went to the ASSIGN menu and didn't see anything for assigning the Component to the SAT/TV. The manual says that Component 3 defaults to Sat/TV, which is where I plugged it in. I'm so confused!

Edit: I tried to run a component cable from the component out to the TV, but still had no video, so I gave up and ran the component from the cable box straight to the TV and it works fine. Unless you guys can help me out, I guess this will have to do until AT&T gets their HDMI port to support 5.1.

Can I use the HDMI connection for the video, but tell the 988 in the assignment to use the optical for the audio? Does assigning that audio to optical override the HDMI?
post #1989 of 3822 Old 12-12-2008, 04:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post

Unless you guys can help me out, I guess this will have to do until AT&T gets their HDMI port to support 5.1.

The issues you're having are fairly basic and should be easily solved. You would be doing yourself a huge favor by doing some reading up on the different types of audio and video cables and what they do as well as how AVRs work in general. You would then have a better understanding of what you're trying to accomplish with your own setup. Also, although the manual might not be comprehensive enough, it can still offer a lot of good information especially if you're new to the AVR arena.

Quote:

Do you ever wish you had just left something alone?

Like going with either Dish or DirecTV? ATT Uverse from what I understand is still too new and has too many bugs and it actually slows the internet connection down quite a bit, not too mention it's the same price as the existing programs. I did read that a Uverse user solved the HDMI problem by plugging in a set of RCA audio cables to the back of the cable box (not going anywhere) and was able to use the HDMI cable without further issues.

Quote:

AAAAAHHHH! I got the 5.1 Dolby Digital to work by connecting the optical cable. I connected the red/blue/green video cable to the cable box and receiver, but I can't get any video. Will this go out through the HDMI out to the TV in the HDMI?

Yes. (otherwise known as component cable). If you view the picture p. 8 you will see that any video input can go out the HDMI output.

Quote:

I went to the ASSIGN menu and didn't see anything for assigning the Component to the SAT/TV. The manual says that Component 3 defaults to Sat/TV, which is where I plugged it in.

Under ASSIGN, each Component jack matches up to a COMPONENT - RCA selection. Since you're plugged into the Component 3 jack, then you would select COMPONENT - RCA -3.

Quote:

Can I use the HDMI connection for the video, but tell the 988 in the assignment to use the optical for the audio? Does assigning that audio to optical override the HDMI?

Under ASSIGN ensure that both HDMI and OPTICAL are selected. Change the INPUT mode to Optical. Also, go to OTHER and change the VIDEO Select to TV/CBL (or whatever you call the cable box input source).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1990 of 3822 Old 12-12-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mark - just because you swictched to the optical cable for audio doesn't mean you can't still use the HDMI cable for video. Just go into INPUT SETUP, scroll to the TV/CBL input, and assign the correct HDMI and OPTICAL inputs, and leave everything else unassigned. Then, under INPUT MODE, take it off "Auto" and put it on "Digital" (see pg 34 of the manual). Now, it will look for the video from the HDMI input and the audio from the assigned optical/coax input.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1991 of 3822 Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 AM

jdsmoothie - thanks for the help - that fixed the problem. I went to that page of the manual and that menu at least 10 times last night and I was sure that the signal could flow through the HDMI cable, but I couldn't get the video to work. My mistake was thinking that RCA meant red/white cables instead of component cables. Having a red/white hooked up to the back of the cable box didn't change the audio signal in from 2-channel when using the HDMI port. My understanding is that it's a hardware issue that AT&T is working to resolve.

Don't want to be a commercial for the U-verse, but I am thrilled with the PQ, sound, features, internet, service, and price. They made my whole house wireless for free and gave me all the optical and HDMI cables I needed. Wish I hadn't bought some before-hand. So far no bugs and very fast internet compared to my DSL 6.0.

batpig, the consensus in the U-verse thread over in the HD Programming forum seems to think that in HD cable's current environment there is no improvement in the PQ or SQ by using HDMI. Is there a reason to use HDMI over component based on the 988's capabilities for upscaling or anything like that? My understanding is that TV can't be upscaled, but I'm probably wrong about that too. Don't know if I will need that HDMI port for anything else anytime soon, but if there is no advantage I might as well leave it freed up just in case. I think that's what jdsmoothie suggested a while back, but if it will improve the PQ, I'm all for using the HDMI.

Thanks guys!
post #1992 of 3822 Old 12-12-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I run my cable box on component just because I don't want to deal with any "handshake" crap, and it leaves my HDMI inputs free for other stuff.

The Denon can still output over one HDMI cable to the TV, and it will do scaling on component > hdmi conversion (up to 1080p) if you leave it on the default HDMI video settings.

It was pretty stupid of Denon (whoah, another stupid Denon usability issue??) to call them "RCA-1/2/3", they should have called them "COMPONENT 1/2/3" for clarity. You aren't the first person who was confused and thought you could assign the old red/white/yellow composite ports.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1993 of 3822 Old 12-12-2008, 12:28 PM

Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one making that mistake. I don't need to make any assignments of the red/white audio cables I have running from the DVD player and cable box to the receiver's analog input's for zone 2 audio do I? They are just plugged into the DVD and Cable/TV analog inputs. I have been scared to even see if that is working, but I will tackle that tonight or tomorrow. I may just take the night off and enjoy what I have working correctly.
post #1994 of 3822 Old 12-12-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

right, the regular old composite (red/white/yellow) and s-video hookups are not assignable, so just make sure it's plugged into the appropriately labeled spot.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1995 of 3822 Old 12-12-2008, 07:33 PM

I received the Denon 988 today. Uhh, boy, this thing is complicated. It took me a while to realize how to set Audyssey. After 4 hours dealing with it, I got a little used to it. Still alot to learn.

I have no complaint so far. The build quality is top notch imo.
post #1996 of 3822 Old 12-12-2008, 08:09 PM

I finally have all my speakers upgraded to Polk. It sounds great. Anyway I'm using PLII Cinema for TV and like the sound, with one exception. It seems like there is a slight echo in the center channel. It seems like an attempt to add some depth to the sound, but sometimes it seems a bit much. Any adjustments to turn this down and does anyone else notice it? It doesn't seem to happen in other modes, but I otherwise like PLII Cinema best.
post #1997 of 3822 Old 12-13-2008, 09:02 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by anog View Post

I finally have all my speakers upgraded to Polk. It sounds great. Anyway I'm using PLII Cinema for TV and like the sound, with one exception. It seems like there is a slight echo in the center channel. It seems like an attempt to add some depth to the sound, but sometimes it seems a bit much. Any adjustments to turn this down and does anyone else notice it? It doesn't seem to happen in other modes, but I otherwise like PLII Cinema best.

I've never noticed any echo on my center channel. So you're saying you don't hear the echo when the display changes to Dolby Digital (ie on an HD channel)?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #1998 of 3822 Old 12-13-2008, 04:33 PM

FWIW - I just ran the 2 firmware updates for my father's 2808CI today using a laptop with Vista, no problems whatsoever. I had a USB 2.0 to RS232 serial adapter from Cables Unlimited that includes a Vista driver, I've used it several times for updating my own receiver also. I imagine somone having troubles with Vista may not have the correct driver loaded for the device. Also - easy way to choose the correct port is go to device manager in windows control panel and once you have the adapter cable connected and powered (USB from laptop powers it), it will be displayed in the Device Manager under Port something or other. Anyway, thought I'd post quick for anyone thinking they won't update due to having only a Vista laptop...
http://www.cablesunlimited.com/produ...roupcode=I3274
above is the manufacturer's link for the usb 2.0 to serial adapter, I purchased some time ago from another site for cheaper (can't remember where or how much but do some looking and you'll find a good deal)
post #1999 of 3822 Old 12-14-2008, 03:54 AM

hey all. looks like i have a defective unit (AVR-988).

HDMI input keeps going out every 15-20 seconds or so (tv says not supported/no picture) and back to the picture). the cable box to the tv is good, and no dropouts, so the cable box is factored out. cable box is a samsung (time warner nyc). the component in on the reciever does not exhibit this behavior (i have the xbox connected in this fashion).

i've done a master reset (2-3 times) to no avail.

any suggestions before I call for a SRA #?

thanks.

-pershoot
post #2000 of 3822 Old 12-14-2008, 05:29 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by pershoot View Post

any suggestions before I call for a SRA #?

A few posters on this thread have experienced drop-outs like you have described, however, this is more likely an HDMI handshaking issue rather than a defective 988. If you can inexpensively replace the 988, might as well try, however, if not, might want to consider just running component cables from the cable box to the 988 as you are doing with the xBox.

post #2001 of 3822 Old 12-14-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

A few posters on this thread have experienced drop-outs like you have described, however, this is more likely an HDMI handshaking issue rather than a defective 988. If you can inexpensively replace the 988, might as well try, however, if not, might want to consider just running component cables from the cable box to the 988 as you are doing with the xBox.

i will try to get another device to test HDMI to ensure that the 988 is not faulty.

on a side note, component with RGB color space looks very nice going through the reciever. the colors would need to be tweaked some on my tv though (it is currently tweaked for an HDMI input).
post #2002 of 3822 Old 12-14-2008, 09:45 AM

Hi all - This forum has been a great tool to supplement the poor manual on my 2808. So far, everythings working the way I expected w/ one exception. I have the unit connected via HDMI to a 58" Panny Plasma, Panny BD35 Blu-ray and Motorola 6416 III DVR. All DVD's viewed show as being upconverted to 1080P on the TV's info screen (likely upconverted by the BD35 before hitting the 2808). SD tv material still shows up as 480i when checking the info screen on the TV (HD shows as 1080i).

I set the 2808 up as having a 1080P monitor and set it to "a to h" upconversion. What am I doing wrong?
post #2003 of 3822 Old 12-14-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"a to h" = analog to hdmi. notice it's not "h to h", as in it can't scale hdmi to hdmi. analog to hdmi scaling only. but no worries, your TV is doing it for you (and likely better than the Denon could).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2004 of 3822 Old 12-14-2008, 10:20 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindmantoo View Post

I set the 2808 up as having a 1080P monitor and set it to "a to h" upconversion. What am I doing wrong?

Are you using a component cable from the DVR to the 2808 as video only passes through when using HDMI and is not upscaled. Although, apparently you have an HD DVR, so just set it to upscale everything to 1080i.

post #2005 of 3822 Old 12-14-2008, 10:29 AM

Is it possible to upscale the basic cable to 720p?
post #2006 of 3822 Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

of course, as long as you are connected with an analog connection to the Denon and HDMI out to the TV. isn't it fun when you post a question that has already been answered by the two posts IMMEDIATELY BEFORE yours? FYI - you can set the output resolution to whatever you want (480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2007 of 3822 Old 12-14-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

of course, as long as you are connected with an analog connection to the Denon and HDMI out to the TV. isn't it fun when you post a question that has already been answered by the two posts IMMEDIATELY BEFORE yours? FYI - you can set the output resolution to whatever you want (480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p)

I am sorry for that, but I have a question.

What analog connection do you mean? I thought only HDMI would do the job..
post #2008 of 3822 Old 12-14-2008, 12:47 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdLCD View Post

I am sorry for that, but I have a question.

What analog connection do you mean? I thought only HDMI would do the job..

In order to upscale a SD video signal with the 2808, you MUST use an analog cable (component, composite, S-video) from the cable box going to the 2808. You can then run HDMI from the 2808 to your TV. Although as mentioned in the earlier posts on this page, your 720p TV is going to upscale automatically to 720p anyway, so the Denon upscaling as well is most likely not going to provide any better picture quality.

post #2009 of 3822 Old 12-14-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

In order to upscale a SD video signal with the 2808, you MUST use an analog cable (component, composite, S-video) from the cable box going to the 2808. You can then run HDMI from the 2808 to your TV. Although as mentioned in the earlier posts on this page, your 720p TV is going to upscale automatically to 720p anyway, so the Denon upscaling as well is most likely not going to provide any better picture quality.

Ok, but I do not have the cable box, its just a cable and the TV.
post #2010 of 3822 Old 12-14-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

oh, you are using the internal tuner of the TV? then no, of course not, the video is already IN the tv! how is it going to go out to the Denon to be scaled?

again, your display HAS TO upscale to fit the resolution of the display, or else it would be a little box in the middle with black bars all around.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page