post #2071 of 3841 Old 12-20-2008, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8fstr View Post

Since my last post was getting long, I thought I would just stop. But I was also looking for any tips as I know Denons can be tricky and time consuming to properly set up.

I have a Sony BDP-S350 and a 2808, so you're in good company. I'd recommend doing the full 8 position Audyssey setup (use the guide linked in the first post on the 'Official Audyssey Thread'). Once you've done this, you can tweak the speaker crossovers (mine come up as 40Hz fronts and centre, but it seems to be recommended to raise this to 80Hz and leave more work for the sub to do).

You can save three presets on the 2808 ( I assume the 988 is similar?). They allow you alter channel levels, Audyssey setting (Flat, Normal, Manual or OFF), restorer settings (useful for improving low bitrate Digital TV broadcast sound in the UK and of course for iPod sound too), tone settings and main volume (plus others). You can save these prefered settings by just pressing and holding the button down (below the volume on the unit itself).

I saved one preset with the original Audyssey channel levels and other settings relevant to higher volume listening. The second setting is for lower volume TV listening with +3db on the sub and surround levels (works better at lower volume) like a preset 'loudness' control. Final memory is for listening to CDs in stereo direct mode. What I like with these settings is that they save the main volume setting too which is a useful reset tool if you need to turn the amp down to answer the phone, etc. You can also set the volume level at switch on too, which I like (incase it was set loud the last time it was turned off). Those memory settings go a long way to optimising my setup, so that I don't feel I missed out much on not getting the x2 priced 2809 model with dynamic EQ and dynamic volume (I got a really good deal on my 2808).

There's probably more, but that should get you started.

EDIT: Make sure you have your 350 set to bitstream output to get the 988 doing the decoding and you'll see that DTS-MA/Dolby True HD light come on for relevent discs.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3841 Old 12-20-2008, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just learned of one annoying feature of the 2808/2809/3808 you can't have hdmi video while listening to another audio input! If I am on my computer which runs through the stereo via hdmi I can't switch the audio source to listen to the radio. This is probably due to a limitation in the HDMI rules.
post #2073 of 3841 Old 12-20-2008, 12:23 PM

Not sure about radio but I'm pretty sure you can just assign inputs to make other audio sources come through with the tv on. just set up another input (ie, cd) and assign the video as the same hdmi source as your tv and then set the audio to another input. i have it set up that way with my ipod. not sure if you can do it with a digital source or not though and i am not at my receiver.
post #2074 of 3841 Old 12-20-2008, 05:57 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2cool View Post

I just learned of one annoying feature of the 2808/2809/3808 you can't have hdmi video while listening to another audio input! If I am on my computer which runs through the stereo via hdmi I can't switch the audio source to listen to the radio. This is probably due to a limitation in the HDMI rules.

Wow! You have all 3 huh? Lucky you. I only have the 2808 and I can confirm you most definitely can have HDMI video with another audio input. You just have to have the correct settings, that's all. Read p. 34 of the Owner's manual for more info.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2075 of 3841 Old 12-20-2008, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
it's true that you can assign a non-HDMI audio input to go with an HDMi video source, however what I think the OP was referring to (and what I agree is an annoying limitation) is that the Video Select function will not work with HDMI sources (pg 36 of the manual).

While there are workarounds that require some kludging around with extra cables and utilizing "Input Mode", or temporarily reassigning an input... the bottom line is that the Video Select feature just doesn't work with HDMI. So if I'm sitting there listening to CD's, and I decide I want to flip to the TV/CBL input to watch the game while I listen to the CD's -- it won't work if TV/CBL is hooked up with HDMI.

Again, there are workarounds (like running an extra cable or temporarily reassigning an input), but who wants workarounds when it should just work? It's annoying, and (for me) it's a feature I actually use... sometimes I like to play video games with music instead of the annoying video game sounds. Or music + a game, etc. It's a primary reason that I still run cable box and appleTV with component/optical, and it bums me out that I can't do it with my PS3.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2076 of 3841 Old 12-21-2008, 05:04 AM
Sy-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

EDIT: Make sure you have your 350 set to bitstream output to get the 988 doing the decoding and you'll see that DTS-MA/Dolby True HD light come on for relevent discs.

To sk8fstr: But since you only have 5.1 speakers make sure you either (a) don't bitstream the audio rather use PCM, (b) bitstream the audio but completely avoid New Line movies, or (c) upgrade your firmware that was mentioned a few pages back...
post #2077 of 3841 Old 12-21-2008, 05:40 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

...it won't work if TV/CBL is hooked up with HDMI.

Annoying. Yes. However, as long as there are workarounds, at least you can still get something close to what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2cool View Post

If I am on my computer which runs through the stereo via hdmi I can't switch the audio source to listen to the radio.

Ah, but with a "workaround" you can. Switch Zone 2 source to TUNER. If you have a 7.1 setup, change AMP Assign to Zone 2 and voila! Radio with computer video display. If you only have a 5.1 setup, connect a wireless headset to an analog jack and voila! Radio with computer video display.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #2078 of 3841 Old 12-21-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

yeah, but the point is that it would be WAY easier if I could just do the same thing I did with all of my non-HDMI Denons -- just hit the VSelect button until I get the video I want and I'm done. No weird amp or input reassignments, extra cable runs, remembering to put the Input Mode back on "auto" when I'm done, etc.

Just sayin' it's a bummer, that's all...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2079 of 3841 Old 12-21-2008, 08:28 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

yeah, but the point is that it would be WAY easier if I could just do the same thing I did with all of my non-HDMI Denons -- just hit the VSelect button until I get the video I want and I'm done. No weird amp or input reassignments, extra cable runs, remembering to put the Input Mode back on "auto" when I'm done, etc.

Agree!
post #2080 of 3841 Old 12-21-2008, 09:20 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

.... remembering to put the Input Mode back on "auto" when I'm done, etc.

I thought that's what you had the Harmony for .. to program those extra steps to a single button.

post #2081 of 3841 Old 12-21-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8fstr View Post

Since my last post was getting long, I thought I would just stop. But I was also looking for any tips as I know Denons can be tricky and time consuming to properly set up.

I got the 988 primarily for the HDMI inputs and other cool "feature stuff". I currently have a Sony DA3ES, which I've been pretty happy with...I really like Sony's ES stuff actually, the other Sony stuff is usually crap. Other components are as follows: 5.1 setup for speakers....all Infinity Delta 40s, and Delta Center (I picked up these obscure speakers about 5 yrs ago and love them). SVS powered sub (box style...I could never get used to the trash can style they put out). Sony 350 Bluray (obviously HDMI). Motorola DVR from comcast (HDMI). Sony 400 CD carousel. Harmony 880 remote. Thinking about getting a Logitech Squeezebox. Oh, and a Wii that I have set up Component currently. I was thinking if I needed more HDMI, I could always pick up an Oppo box. Any ideas or suggestions, guys?

You could save an HDMI for the cable box and go component direct to TV with digital audio to 988. 1 cable vs 6 is cool but HDMI does not improve 1080i or Dolby Digital from HD cable box; and you don't have to fire up 988 just to watch TV. I only want to use Oppo box if forced, of course, ymmv

Great price you found; about $700 cheaper than a 989 that has higher [non audible] THD. The Dynamic EQ and Volume features are no way worth i$700, imho,just don't take away the 8 position EQ!
post #2082 of 3841 Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidell View Post

Great price you found; about $700 cheaper than a 989 that has higher [non audible] THD. The Dynamic EQ and Volume features are no way worth i$700, imho,just don't take away the 8 position EQ!

Huh? Closer to a $262 difference considering the EW purchase and 6th Ave cost of $750 for the 2809. All things considered, what with the added HDMI control, extra HDMI jacks, AND the new Audyssey features, tough to turn down, especially if you don't plan on upgrading for quite a few years.

post #2083 of 3841 Old 12-21-2008, 11:46 AM

I just bought a 2309, I'm just saw a 2808 on sale cheaper...wondering if I should make the switch ??? Is the 2808 better than the 2309 ?? Seems pretty simular, but less hdmi ports, but the 2808 has more power... and I think it looks better. What are the other diffs ? Worth the hassle of exchanging ? The cost diff was only $25.

thanks
post #2084 of 3841 Old 12-21-2008, 12:32 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00hawk#140 View Post

I just bought a 2309, I'm just saw a 2808 on sale cheaper...wondering if I should make the switch ??? Is the 2808 better than the 2309 ?? Seems pretty simular, but less hdmi ports, but the 2808 has more power... and I think it looks better. What are the other diffs ? Worth the hassle of exchanging ? The cost diff was only $25.

thanks

The 2309 offers the new Audyssey Dynamic VOL and EQ features .. the 2808 offers pre-outs, AL-24 processing, and audio to Zone 3. The power difference is negligible. Just depends on what your requirements are and if you need what the 2808 offers more than what the 2309 offers. Check the Denon website and compare the specs on each one (although have to do it individually now that they've removed the 2008 models from the front page).

post #2085 of 3841 Old 12-21-2008, 05:18 PM

Trying to get a 988 going have a older dvd feed into it thru the component jack's like in the manual and getting video but tryed the #1 optical input for audio and set it for that input in the assign menu no sound then went and got a coaxial cable and ran it that way reset in assign menu still no sound? I am getting sound and pic for my satalite but have to turn the vol up to -35db to hear any sound can any one help a guy out what am i doing wrong? been 2 days trying to figer it out with the manual!
post #2086 of 3841 Old 12-21-2008, 05:44 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner 1960 View Post

Trying to get a 988 going have a older dvd feed into it thru the component jack's like in the manual and getting video but tryed the #1 optical input for audio and set it for that input in the assign menu no sound then went and got a coaxial cable and ran it that way reset in assign menu still no sound? I am getting sound and pic for my satalite but have to turn the vol up to -35db to hear any sound can any one help a guy out what am i doing wrong? been 2 days trying to figer it out with the manual!

If you haven't done it already, reset the Microprocessor (p. 50) and see if that helps.

post #2087 of 3841 Old 12-21-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner 1960 View Post

If jdsmoothie's reset does not work, double check that your digital out is set active on your DVD player; I got nailed on that one 2 years ago. You can quick check by swapping your DVD audio plug with your SAT audio plug to verify output from DVD.

I forgot to add that -35db is low on my cable, as well, but gets much louder around -20db for reference.
post #2088 of 3841 Old 12-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

best buy has this for $599, good price?

Multi-zone means I could operate speakers throughout the house while using the theater with different source material right? My house is pre-wired for speakers throughout, with the wires all coming into my theater room for control. Haven't added the speakers yet and need something to control them of course

Is this thing pretty well future proof?
post #2089 of 3841 Old 12-22-2008, 03:02 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpniner View Post

Is this thing pretty well future proof?

It would most likely do what you need now, however, it's already been discontinued and replaced by a newer model with added features and advancements, the 2809. Check both out at the Denon website. The 2809 is currently running about $150 more (on sale) and from what I've read about the new Audyssey upgrades, IMHO would be well worth the extra cost.

post #2090 of 3841 Old 12-22-2008, 07:15 PM

Thanks 4 the help guys I'm up and running sounds good thanks agian!!!!!
post #2091 of 3841 Old 12-22-2008, 09:24 PM

I'm looking to purchase the Denon 2808CI along with a Blu-Ray player yet to be determined. Problem is I own a Pioneer Elite 720HD, which is a HD projection televison with no HDMI inputs. It has a RGB input jack along with component inputs. My question is can I connect a Blu-Ray to the Denon via HDMI for True HD audio and connect the Denon to my monitor via component cables? I'm more concerned about the audio right now and just want to be able to have 7.1 surround. If you have the Denon connected to your monitor with component cables can you even connect HDMI cables from other sources to the Denon? The owners manual can be confusing. Any help is appreciated. I have looked at the HDFury website but not sure if I need this yet.
post #2092 of 3841 Old 12-23-2008, 05:08 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise42 View Post

My question is can I connect a Blu-Ray to the Denon via HDMI for True HD audio and connect the Denon to my monitor via component cables?

Sorry, but no. There is no HDMI to analog conversion capability.

post #2093 of 3841 Old 12-23-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Sorry, but no. There is no HDMI to analog conversion capability.

Not sure if this works with hdmi, but couldn't he have both hdmi and component coming from his blu-ray player and then assign the video to component and audio to hdmi? or does the receiver force hdmi on both video and audio once chosen for either? just a thought - not a perfect solution but it could allow for component out and the 7.1 audio.
post #2094 of 3841 Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

that would be ideal, but I'm not sure what BDP's allow you to output audio over HDMI with video over component. That would be the best solution though.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2095 of 3841 Old 12-23-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise42 View Post

I'm looking to purchase the Denon 2808CI along with a Blu-Ray player yet to be determined. Problem is I own a Pioneer Elite 720HD, which is a HD projection televison with no HDMI inputs.

It would be easier to run HDMI to the 2808 for audio and run component from the BD directly to the 720HD ... Since the 720HD is a native 1080i device, you're not going to lose anything by going this route. PS3's (BD) will allow this configuration. I can't vouch for any other BD players.
post #2096 of 3841 Old 12-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Ray
Advanced Member

Hello all,
Just wanted inform folks looking for a 2808 that the store that starts with a B and ends with a Y has a crazy blow price out on the 2808. Just type 2808 in the search bar. Tip for the hitched.... Just buy wrapping paper on the way home and say it was a gift.
Happy Holidays

Denon - 770W 7.1-Ch. XM Satellite Radio-Ready A/V Home Theater Receiver
Model: AVR-2808CI | SKU: 8355601

* Edit... well next time I will look up before I post.
post #2097 of 3841 Old 12-23-2008, 02:09 PM

I just bougt this amp yesterday and so far am very disappointed. I'm having issues with my PS3 displaying 1080p via HDMI. My TV errors with incompatible video signal when trying to set the PS3 to 1080p. When connected directly to the TV 1080p works just fine with the. Is there anyone else experiencing this issue and know of a solution? I tried searching this thread and could find and answer and don't really feel like reading 2000+ posts. The amp does display 1080p fine when upconverting/upscaling from composite and is at 1080p when in the reciever menu.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #2098 of 3841 Old 12-23-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

sounds like HDMI handshaking issues. do you have a slightly older TV? It's possible there may be a firmware update for it that could resolve the issue.

BTW - I'm not blaming the TV, just the MIX of the devices. the problem is that when you stick an HDMI switch in between two devices -- even if all three are HDCP compliant -- it can sometimes cause goofiness. And when one of the devices involved (usually your display or cable box) has newer firmware it sometimes resolves the issue.

Also, just to rule anything out, try some different HDMI cables. Again, it may seem like that couldn't be the issue because it works fine when going straight to the TV, but HDMI is just goofy like that.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2099 of 3841 Old 12-23-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post

Hello all,
Just wanted inform folks looking for a 2808 that the store that starts with a B and ends with a Y has a crazy blow price out on the 2808.

If you think that's a good deal, try the Big River for the nearly identical 988 model with free shipping.
post #2100 of 3841 Old 12-23-2008, 02:38 PM

I got it to work now. I just connected the PS3 straight to my TV and saved the 1080p setting. Hooked up the PS3 back to the Denon and now is working. Looks like the PS3 and Denon don't like it when the 1080p setting isn't saved in the video output settings.

Now how do I get the DTS-HD mastering to work from the PS3. Does the PS3 even support DTS-HD mastering?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page