post #211 of 3822 Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nweibley View Post

I get the OSD on s-video and composite sources, output overlayed over HDMI. No biggie, this is normal.

That's it. I was just testing the OSD and I could see that the video is not HD. So those who want this feature(OSD displayed over HDMI passed video), just run an extra analog output from your STB or whatever to the 2808 and it does the rest for you. Press menu again to turn menu off and the 2808 goes back to HD resolution. I guess that was why I get a short hiccup in audio/video when initially going into menu. That would definitely save one from getting the 3808 for that function.

Tony B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 3822 Old 10-22-2007, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsen View Post

I have a DirecTV satellite digital video recorder hooked to HDMI2.

Before I start experimenting with a variety of configurations, a few questions...
  1. Should I use Input Setup's assign function to assign HDMI2 to DVR, SAT, or leave it its default of HDP? Does it make a difference? I think I should use SAT or DVR so I can tell the remote to use the proper preset code to, at a minimum, change channels.

2. Assuming I set it to DVR or SAT, has anyone worked out the best preset code to use for a DirecTV HR20?

3. Do I need to press one of the [MODE SELECTOR] "buttons" on the remote in order to operate the DirecTV or do things like channel change "punch through" (I think that's the standard terminology) so that the channels change even when the remote is in [AMP] mode?

Thanks!

rcp

Sorry, no one has addressed your questions. I have not experimented with the Denon remote since I use either my DTv remote or a Harmony. Trying to keep life simple for the rest of the family. Either way, I think your thinking is correct.

Tony B
post #213 of 3822 Old 10-22-2007, 06:22 PM

Hi Guys, I have the 2808 connected to an SA 8300 DVR and then connected to a Pioneer 5010 all via HDMI. My problem is that occasionally when I change the channel on the cable box it doesn't accept the signal on the receiver and the white hdmi light on the receiver starts flashing. The picture comes in and out and the HDMI light keeps flashing. When I change the channel again to a different one, sometimes it kicks in, but other times it just flashes and the signal comes in and out. I tried using an other DVR box and changed all the cables, but the same thing is happening. Anyone experiencing this? Thanks in advance.
post #214 of 3822 Old 10-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe something in the setup menu of the Denon or a handshake issue with your box? Haven't had that problem.

Tony B
post #215 of 3822 Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I have a DirecTV satellite digital video recorder hooked to HDMI2.

Before I start experimenting with a variety of configurations, a few questions...
  1. Should I use Input Setup's assign function to assign HDMI2 to DVR, SAT, or leave it its default of HDP? Does it make a difference? I think I should use SAT or DVR so I can tell the remote to use the proper preset code to, at a minimum, change channels.
  2. Assuming I set it to DVR or SAT, has anyone worked out the best preset code to use for a DirecTV HR20?
  3. Do I need to press one of the [MODE SELECTOR] "buttons" on the remote in order to operate the DirecTV or do things like channel change "punch through" (I think that's the standard terminology) so that the channels change even when the remote is in [AMP] mode?
Thanks!

rcp

I can help you but first I need more information.
  1. What is the model number of your DTV HD DVR?
  2. Provide a list of all AV hardware (with model numbers).
  3. What remote control do you want to use?
  4. Tell me how you have all of your AV cabling routed into your 2808 and from your 2808 to your television.
We'll have you a solution very soon.
49Merc

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #216 of 3822 Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post

I can help you but first I need more information.
  1. What is the model number of your DTV HD DVR?
  2. Provide a list of all AV hardware (with model numbers).
  3. What remote control do you want to use?
  4. Tell me how you have all of your AV cabling routed into your 2808 and from your 2808 to your television.
We'll have you a solution very soon.
49Merc

DirecTV HR20 DVR
Samsung LNT4665FX TV
Samsung BD-P1200 Blu-Ray
ARV-2808CI (of course!)

HDMI from Blu-Ray to HDMI1 of 2808
HDMI from DVR to HDMI2 of 2808
HDMI from 2808 to TV

I want to use all the remotes, but I would like each of them to be able to control the other devices as much as possible. (For example the Two Samsungs already cooperate quite well and I have alerady configured the DVR's remote to send volume and mute signals to the 2808.) I do have a Theater Master MX-500 programmed for a bunch of equipment I no longer have but it is such a pain to program I am not inclined to use it.
post #217 of 3822 Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 PM

I could use some advice.

Here is my setup:
Panasonic TH-PZ700U 1080P Plasma
Denon AVR-2808CI
Toshiba HD-A30

Im trying to get my receiver to decode TrueHD but what ever I do I cant seem to get the TrueHD decoder icon to light up. I have Zone 2 set to 2 x Surround Back Speakers. I just cant get the light to light up. Can anyone help me. Also, Im using an older HDMI cable. Do I need to purchase a 1.3 cable specifically. Thanks in advance.
post #218 of 3822 Old 10-23-2007, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebotsi View Post

I could use some advice.

Here is my setup:
Panasonic TH-PZ700U 1080P Plasma
Denon AVR-2808CI
Toshiba HD-A30

Im trying to get my receiver to decode TrueHD but what ever I do I cant seem to get the TrueHD decoder icon to light up. I have Zone 2 set to 2 x Surround Back Speakers. I just cant get the light to light up. Can anyone help me. Also, Im using an older HDMI cable. Do I need to purchase a 1.3 cable specifically. Thanks in advance.

You need an HDMI 1.3 playback device eg A35 to stream TrueHD to the 2808. The A30 is decoding the TrueHD track and outputting it as multichannel PCM.
post #219 of 3822 Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DirecTV HR20 DVR
Samsung LNT4665FX TV
Samsung BD-P1200 Blu-Ray
ARV-2808CI (of course!)

HDMI from Blu-Ray to HDMI1 of 2808
HDMI from DVR to HDMI2 of 2808
HDMI from 2808 to TV

I want to use all the remotes, but I would like each of them to be able to control the other devices as much as possible. (For example the Two Samsung's already cooperate quite well and I have already configured the DVR's remote to send volume and mute signals to the 2808.) I do have a Theater Master MX-500 programmed for a bunch of equipment I no longer have but it is such a pain to program I am not inclined to use it.

OK, let's get this done.

YOUR QUESTION: Should I use Input Setup's assign function to assign HDMI2 to DVR, SAT, or leave it its default of HDP? Does it make a difference? I think I should use SAT or DVR so I can tell the remote to use the proper preset code to, at a minimum, change channels.

ASSIGNMENTS (Assign input modes to input connectors)
  • Assign HDMI1 (BR) to DVD
  • Assign HDMI2 (HR20) to DVR
HDMI AUDIO SETUP (test tone playback configuration)
  • HDMI Audio Out: AMP
HDMI VIDEO SETUP
  • ip Scaler: Off
  • Resolution: Auto
  • Progressive Mode: Auto
  • Aspect: Full
  • Color Space: YCbCr
OPTION SETUP
  • Mute Level: -20d
  • Default all others

YOUR QUESTION: Assuming I set it to DVR or SAT, has anyone worked out the best preset code to use for a DirecTV HR20?

I suggest you program your DTV HR20 remote to operate your Denon AVR, Samsung BR and TV.

Here is how to program those your DTV HR20 Remote Control

For the most part the following information was copied from your Directv HR20 manual.

Programming Your Directv HR20 Remote Control
You may have already programmed your remote control during Guided Setup, but if you didn’t, or you want to make changes, or you’ve acquired some new equipment, follow these instructions. You can program the DIRECTV Remote Control to operate your TV power, volume and mute, additional equipment such as a DVD, VCR, stereo, or second TV or DIRECTV Receiver.
1) Press MENU to display the Quick Menu.
2) Highlight Settings and press SELECT.
3) Highlight Setup and press SELECT.
4) Press SELECT on Remote in the left menu.
5) Follow the on screen instructions to program your remote for your TV or additional equipment (AV1 and AV2).

Once your remote is programmed to work with your TV, the VOL and MUTE key control the TV regardless of the MODE slide switch position. If you would like to change the VOL and MUTE to work with other audio equipment, such as a stereo, you can. When you program the remote for the audio equipment, onscreen instructions will direct you on how to do this.

ADDITIONAL INSRUCTIONS

TV: By following the onscreen instructions you will be able to assign the HR20 Remotes TV Setting to your Samsung TV. The instructions will guide you to a list of TV Brands simply select Samsung then a list of Samsung TV input codes will be provided. The instructions will tell you how to input the Samsung TV codes.

AV1: By following the onscreen instructions you will be able to HR20 Remotes AV1 Setting to your Denon AVR. The instructions will guide you to a list of AVR Brands simply select Denon then a list of Denon AVR input codes will be provided. The instructions will tell you how to input the Denon AVR codes.

AV2: By following the onscreen instructions you will be able to assign your HR20 Remotes DV2 Setting to your Samsung BR. The instructions will guide you to a list of DVD Brands simply select Samsung then a list of Samsung DVD and or BR input codes will be provided. The instructions will tell you how to input the Samsung BR codes.

NOTE 1: If for some reason you cannot locate the proper Samsung BR choice on the DTV instructions call DTV customer support or go to DTV's Technical Support Forum

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/...ardID=10100104

NOTE 2: Since you are new to the DTV HR20 you may consider joining DBSTalk Forum. Here is a link to their DTV HR20 section.

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112

NOTE 3: I suggest you program your Denon AVR Remote Control to operate your Directv HR20, Samsung BR and TV

This is quite an involved process so I suggest you refer to your Denon AVR 2808 manual. Contact Denon CS with specific remote control programing questions.

NOTE 4: I also suggest you program your Samsung BR Remote Control to operate your Directv HR20, Samsung TV and Denon AVR 2808

Again, this is quite an involved process so I suggest you refer to your Samsung BR manual. Contact Samsung CS with specific remote control programing questions.

NOTE 5: REGARDING UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROLS - You have a great deal invested in your AV gear so take a look at the Harmony line of universal remote controls. They are very simple to program while having a robust feature set. You can find Harmony remotes at most major AV retailers and online.

Here is a link to a very informative Remote Control Forum.

http://www.remotecentral.com/index.html

Paulsen, I hope this information helps you. If I've not addressed something please let me know.

49Merc

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
post #220 of 3822 Old 10-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

HDMI VIDEO SETUP
ip Scaler: Off
Resolution: Auto
Progressive Mode: Auto
Aspect: Full
Color Space: YCbCr

49 Merc, could you spoon feed me a little tutorial on what the above setting options do versus the other possible choices in the menu? I'm a bit confused about the ip Scaler and Color space settings.

Thanks

Tony B
post #221 of 3822 Old 10-23-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:

HDMI VIDEO SETUP
  • ip Scaler: Off
  • Resolution: Auto
  • Progressive Mode: Auto
  • Aspect: Full
  • Color Space: YCbCr

I noticed that with ip scaler set to off all the other options are no longer offered. They are only shown if ip scler is set to "A to H".

Do you know what "A to H" means? The manual has some cryptic comments about options being available only if "i/p scalar is set to anything other than OFF". Well, there is only *one* thing other than "OFF" and that is "A to H". The manual is quite unclear on all these options.
post #222 of 3822 Old 10-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, it's confusing. I am guessing the A to H is Analog to HD or HDMI? What that has to do with scaling and what ip stands for, I don't know. This area of the manual could be more detailed.

Tony B
post #223 of 3822 Old 10-23-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

Yes, it's confusing. I am guessing the A to H is Analog to HD or HDMI? What that has to do with scaling and what ip stands for, I don't know. This area of the manual could be more detailed.

I can tell you that i/p stands for interlaced/progressive. So if it is fed an 480i source , it will deinterlace it. It seems it will do no video processing if you do not have that enabled perhaps because that activates the DCDI chip?

I have a question if someone would test it for me. IF you have IP set to off, does it also disabling being able to choose YCbCr or RGB output?

I need to force RGB, but i do not want the scaler or deinterlacer doing anything with HDMI sources (or perhaps HDMI is straight though regardless of the scaler?
post #224 of 3822 Old 10-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

I can tell you that i/p stands for interlaced/progressive. So if it is fed an 480i source , it will deinterlace it. It seems it will do no video processing if you do not have that enabled perhaps because that activates the DCDI chip?

I have a question if someone would test it for me. IF you have IP set to off, does it also disabling being able to choose YCbCr or RGB output?

I need to force RGB, but i do not want the scaler or deinterlacer doing anything with HDMI sources (or perhaps HDMI is straight though regardless of the scaler?

Makes sense. What is the difference between the YCbCr and the RGB setting? When I get home, I'll run your test and let you know(if someone doesn't beat me to it).

Thanks

Tony B
post #225 of 3822 Old 10-23-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Yes, it disables that choice. I mentioned that in an earlier, recent, message.
post #226 of 3822 Old 10-23-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Makes sense. What is the difference between the YCbCr and the RGB setting? When I get home, I'll run your test and let you know(if someone doesn't beat me to it).

Thanks

They are difference color spaces.
post #227 of 3822 Old 10-23-2007, 06:25 PM

Hey guys quick question. I could not find it anywhere. Can this unit be updated over the internet?
Thanks in advanced
post #228 of 3822 Old 10-23-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nweibley View Post

I believe mine said partially shipped too... it takes DHL about 12 hours to get it in the system... yet here I sit with my $800 2808 and a $1200 2808 on the way back to crutchfield.

But is it not true that Denon will not honor the warranty if you do not buy from one of their "official online" retailers that all have inflated prices like Cruchfield? Or have you found a way around that?

Sockeye
post #229 of 3822 Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post

But is it not true that Denon will not honor the warranty if you do not buy from one of their "official online" retailers that all have inflated prices like Cruchfield? Or have you found a way around that?

Sockeye

6th Ave is one of Denon's authorized retailers and their unit comes with the exact same warranty as crutchfield. If you were thinking about the deal, you are late now. Better luck next time
post #230 of 3822 Old 10-23-2007, 11:38 PM

I just purchased the Denon 2808Ci and the sound is impressive! My question is related to volume output from various sources. The ATSC TV volume is very low (5.1 Dolby Digital) but the same format output from my DVD player has much louder volume. Is it possible to set the Denon to adjust its volume accordingly?

Thanks
post #231 of 3822 Old 10-24-2007, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandhu View Post

The ATSC TV volume is very low (5.1 Dolby Digital) but the same format output from my DVD player has much louder volume. Is it possible to set the Denon to adjust its volume accordingly?
Thanks

You can adjust input source volume. It is an option on the other menu option for an input source. It is described on page 36 of the manual.
post #232 of 3822 Old 10-24-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

does the 2808 post process 5.1 PCM to 7.1 using PLIIx? And if so, what modes will work with PCM 5.1 to 7.1?
post #233 of 3822 Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I noticed that with ip scaler set to off all the other options are no longer offered. They are only shown if ip scaler is set to "A to H".

Do you know what "A to H" means? The manual has some cryptic comments about options being available only if "i/p scalar is set to anything other than OFF". Well, there is only *one* thing other than "OFF" and that is "A to H". The manual is quite unclear on all these options.

Well I have egg on my face. You are certainly correct. Since I have a 987 I was using the 2808's manual to help you. I hope that slip up did not eschew your planned configuration.

49Merc

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #234 of 3822 Old 10-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

does the 2808 post process 5.1 PCM to 7.1 using PLIIx? And if so, what modes will work with PCM 5.1 to 7.1?

If you go to Denon USA website and then to the 2808ci section, you can link to the PDF of the manual. On page 66 there is a chart that lays out the various input signals and possible outputs.

Tony B
post #235 of 3822 Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDMI VIDEO SETUP
ip Scaler: Off
Resolution: Auto
Progressive Mode: Auto
Aspect: Full
Color Space: YCbCr

49 Merc, could you spoon feed me a little tutorial on what the above setting options do versus the other possible choices in the menu? I'm a bit confused about the ip Scaler and Color space settings.

Thanks

To ensure I give you a thorough answer I'm doing a bit of extra research. Unforunately, I will be out of pocket for the next few days so it may be next week before I can get back to you on this question.

49Merc

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #236 of 3822 Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you go to Denon USA website and then to the 2808ci section, you can link to the PDF of the manual. On page 66 there is a chart that lays out the various input signals and possible outputs.

Yes I downloaded the manual and read through the chart, which does indicate it can be done. I wanted to verify it with someone who HAS tried it. Those charts are not always accurate/easy to read.
post #237 of 3822 Old 10-24-2007, 10:12 AM

Question.

Does the 2808 receive HD radio stations?

Thanks
post #238 of 3822 Old 10-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

To ensure I give you a thorough answer I'm doing a bit of extra research. Unforunately, I will be out of pocket for the next few days so it may be next week before I can get back to you on this question.

49Merc

Thanks, good things come to those who wait!

Tony B
post #239 of 3822 Old 10-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes I downloaded the manual and read through the chart, which does indicate it can be done. I wanted to verify it with someone who HAS tried it. Those charts are not always accurate/easy to read.

I don't think I can test that as I have my back speakers assigned for Zone 2.

Tony B
post #240 of 3822 Old 10-24-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think I can test that as I have my back speakers assigned for Zone 2.

Surely there must be someone who is using an HD audio source over HDMI LPCM who is post processing it to 7.1 with PLIIx....

Can anyone verify this feature does work?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page