AVS Forum banner
563K views 4K replies 624 participants last post by  Nobre40 
#1 ·
I just wanted to start a thread for all owners of the Denon AVR-2808CI A/V receiver to post your impressions, useful information and a issues/resolutions for this unit. Mine will be arriving this week, and I'm sure there are others who will be receiving theirs soon or already have them up and running!

Here are some basic specs for anyone interested in purchasing one:

AVR-2808CI 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH Home Theater/MultiMedia A/V Receiver with Network Client Compatible D-dock Port
Quote:
The AVR-2808CI has been fortified with the latest A/V upgrades positioning itself to become one of the most popular audio video receivers in the industry, continuing on in its predecessor's footsteps. The AVR-2808CI now has HDMI v1.3a which brings with it the new surround formats for HD decoding allowing for ultimate surround performance for the best in home theater experience. Updated Audyssey audio processing has been added to provide improved auto calibration results for smooth sound reproduction. The well acclaimed Faroudja FLi2310 has been employed to allow for video scaling to 1080p resolution. Serial IR ports along with the RS-232C system control port provides ease of integration for complex home audio installations with 3rd party controllers. Couple this with the new EL remote and you have an A/V receiver sure to be a best seller.

* 110 watts x 7 channels

* Analog Video to HDMI Scaling - 1080p

* Rear Panel RS-232C

* XM ready tuning

* Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio

* New DDSC-HD processing

* Expanded HDMI v1.3a ports with Deep Color and xvYCC Support

* Digital to Analog conversion for multi-zone connection flexibility

* Assignable +12V D.C. triggers

* Comes with dual remotes

* 2-way remote capability with optional RC-7000CI remote

So, what do you think? How does this unit perform?

See less See more
#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandhu /forum/post/11664102

What is the difference between the Retail versions (AVR988) compared to 2808CI? I also noticed here in Canada Best Buy sells only the AVR988 or 688.

Maybe a slightly different remote but I am not sure as I can't find a picture of the 2808ci remote. Also, the unit is usually slightly different looking but if you look at the 2 pics it looks the same. I am pretty sure its identicle from what I read. I just finished hooking it up too and it rocks pretty good. I also have the Yamaha 2700 so I am slightly downgrading but the 988 sounds good so far. I might like it more than the 2700. I still need to test some more as I just hooked it up. Power wise its not far off or close to the same from the 2700 even though the 2700 is rated at 140W per channel while the 988 is 110W per channel. It seems the 988 rocks harder on the subwoofer than the 2700. More aggressive and chest pounding. It sounds warm and not brittle as past Denons. I didn't even run the setup test yet with the mic. Remember I don't know what the settings are yet on the 988 so I am still playing around with it. I uninstalled the 2700 and plugged in the 988 and fired it up. I run all Paradigm Reference speakers which I found sound better with Yamaha receivers in the past. The 988 sounds great with the Paradigm Reference speakers.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandhu /forum/post/11664102

What is the difference between the Retail versions (AVR988) compared to 2808CI? I also noticed here in Canada Best Buy sells only the AVR988 or 688.

It looks like the 2808 is in the new Denon chassis with the curved top; the 988 is in Denon's more traditional chassis, from the looks of the pic.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/11664183

It looks like the 2808 is in the new Denon chassis with the curved top; the 988 is in Denon's more traditional chassis, from the looks of the pic.

Yep, your right. I missed that. I know the chassis usually is different but I never caught the rounded curve part up top. I believe the remotes are different too. By the way the remote is reversable. Its not 2 seperate remotes. The pic on the right is the backside of the remote. The 2808ci is $20 cheaper than the 988 since there is a 2% discount at Amazon. Basically their both the same price which I don't understand. You have to type in avr988 to see this model. Leave out the dash.

#7 ·
I have that same remote with my Denon 1908. I wish it was backlit. I can't see any of the surround modes buttons in the dark. Where did you pick up the 988 from?

Can you tell me if the knobs are plastic or metal? I saw the 2808 at Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto and it was all metal. My 1908 has plastic knobs. I hate that.

#8 ·
I bought it at futureshop. The guy threw in a free 5 year warranty that sells for $149.99. I got something out of it. Its hard to tell if its metal or plastic. It feels like a light metal. Not solid steel or anything. More of an aluminum sound to the knobs. Maybe someone else can tell better than me.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper64 /forum/post/11664179

Maybe a slightly different remote but I am not sure as I can't find a picture of the 2808ci remote.

Here's a pic of the remote the 2808CI uses:

It's in the product sheet, you can see it here: http://ca.denon.com/AVR2808_specsheet_canada.pdf

It looks like it's backlit...when I get mine I'll post back.

Spec wise both units seem identical, it's only some small changes in design, the remote control...and apparently the big-box retailer version is supposed to be less expensive...Though from what I've seen this isn't the case...

#11 ·
Futureshop carrying Denon...didnt see that coming.

Smart move considering how poorly the HK were moving.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulims /forum/post/11665181

Someone from the 38008CI thread confimred that that unit can overly OSD and volume bar over both HDMI and non HDMI sources without problems.

Does 2808CI also able to do this ?

I don't believe it will. I hooked up a video RCA jack and the volume bar shows up on screen. Over HDMI the volume bar doesn't show up on screen. The OSD menu does over HDMI.

#15 ·
After speaking to the Sales/Marketing at Denon, the following are the differences between AVR-2808CI and AVR-988:

- better remote (learning capabilities) with 2808CI

- PC RS232 connection for remote configuration with 2808CI

- different look for the two

As mentioned before, the electronics are identical in each unit.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandhu /forum/post/11669477

After speaking to the Sales/Marketing at Denon, the following are the differences between AVR-2808CI and AVR-988:

- better remote (learning capabilities) with 2808CI

- PC RS232 connection for remote configuration with 2808CI

- different look for the two

As mentioned before, the electronics are identical in each unit.

I have the RS232 on the back of my 988. I am wondering why the 988 costs the same as the 2808CI. I could only find the 988 but given the choice you be better off with the 2028CI at the same price. If someone calls Denon maybe you can ask them. The 988 isn't even listed at Denon Canada.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel22b /forum/post/11668128

Does it have the new GUI?

It has the regular GUI (basic text menus) ...I think only the 3808ci and above have the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 /forum/post/11670644

Does it have volume (other info) overlay on 480p, 720p & 1080i? If so, can someone post a pic?

According to their manual...it says that:

Quote:
On-Screen Display for Component Video Outputs and HDMI Output

*When viewing HDMI or component video signals via the AVR-2808CI, the on-screen display appears when the MENU button or the main control unit's PARA button is operated.

*When only HDMI or component video signals are input to the AVR-2808CI, the characters of the on-screen display are not displayed over the picture.

When I get mine set up, I'll take a pic of it.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nweibley /forum/post/11678236

Really? The release specs touted "New GUI menu"...

It is the basic black screen with white text menu. Though, I don't know why that's such a big deal either way.

When you are watching HDMI or component video the menu replaces the image (no overlay) while you make changes.

I just got mine this weekend, (replacing an Outlaw 1050). So far, I am very happy with the Denon 2808CI. The only problem that I've had is when using my Logitech Harmony 880 to control it; it keeps changing the video input from HDMI to Component when I select DVD. But I think this is an issue with the Harmony and not with the 2808. I just need to spend some time getting the remote tweaked properly.

#26 ·
I just happened to find this forum and i have been reading posts for over two hours now. WOW I will be returning many times.

I have a situation. I am building my first Home theatre and have begun with a Panasonic 50" Plasma and found some Boston Acuostic HT speakers on sale. I need a HT headend and have been looking at the Denon line. I have read good things about the features and the sound. I have a source for the Big Box models and was looking at the 987, then the provider told me that new lines were coming out. I have been waiting patiently for the 988 to become available. It appears it is now out.

I was doing a dimension check against the 2808 and found that the 2808 is still 17+ inches wide but the 988 is listed at 20.5+ !! I have purchased a new AV cabinet with 18in. wide spaces.... uh oh. Could someone please give me a heads up if the 988 is really that wide?

Thanks,

KensKat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.