Can this amp be used with this receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-02-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a noob, but I'm thinking of getting this Russound 12 channel amp (http://www.russound.com/r1250mc.htm) and this Onkyo 2 channel receiver (http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i).

I want to hook up at least 8 pairs of 8 ohm speakers to the amp and hook up the output of the receiver to the amp.

I see a "bus line" input on the amp (label L and R), but I don't see any output on the Onkyo receiver I can hook up to the amp. There are only A & B speaker outputs on the receiver.

Do I need a dual zone receiver to hook up to this amp?

Like this Onkyo 7.1 AV receiver (http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...class=Receiver) which is way overkill for just playing XM/iPod but does seem to have a "Zone 2 line out" that might hook up to the amp (I think).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2007, 02:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In a 2 channel . stereo reciever the tape mon is your output for your amp.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-03-2007, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How come the manual doesn't indicate that you would hook up an external amp to the tape output?

All it talks about is hooking up a recording device or a monitoring device to this analog output.

I'm not sure, but it looks like you might have to press a button every time you switch sources to get sound to go to the tape output. If this is true, it might be confusing to use.

Anyway, it sure does look like these 2 tape outputs are the only ones that could be used to hook up the amp.

If I do go with the Russound 12 channel amp, I'll probably just by a two zone 7.1 AV receiver. Onkyo makes one that is only $100 more than the 2 channel receiver and I would get to drive one set of speakers directly from the receiver on a separate zone at full power.

Thanks.

Anyone else have any advice for me?
post #4 of 4 Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The problem with using the "tape monitor" to connect an outboard amp is that it leaves you with no way to adjust the volume.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page