Newbie trying to acheive the holy grail of $4000 HT setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-12-2007, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I am thinking of setting up an HT setup for the 20' * 10' living room.
My budget is around $3,800 all incl....

I and am looking at the following components:
HDTV: Samsung FPT5084 - $2200+
Receiver: Onkyo TXSR705/Yamaha RXV861/Sony STR-DG1100 - $600-$800
Speakers: KEF 2005.2 - $500
HDTV Stand - $300-$400
Wires/Speaker Mounts/Drapes et al - $100

My requirements are that I have a decent surround sound space, and a pretty good Visual experience. I have a Wii, SD/HD cable and Progressive Scan DVD player so I also am looking at atleast a decent 480i->1080i/1080p upconversion.

Questions:
1. Is there any reason to choose Panny 700/750 inspite of having lesser contrast ratio?
2. Should I get a Samsung BDP1400 instead and use its 5.1 audio out and let my TV upconvert the 480i stuff ?
3. If I do get BDP1400 is there a budget video processor stat-tech /atlona etc. that I might use to get rid of alaising/noise ??
4. Is their any comparison to be found on 705 vs VX861 vs STRDG1100 video processing ?
5. Any suggestions on a better speaker around $500 ?

I know thats a lot questions ... any help would be gretly appreciated ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-12-2007, 10:49 AM

You will probably spend more than a 100 bucks on cables...that onkyo 705 is probably going to be your best "bang for buck" reciever, I have been look pretty hard at that one and the denon 2807/2808...but it looks like the 705 is going to be the best choice for me...

you can save a lot of money on a display if you can go dlp or dila or something like that...
post #3 of 17 Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

I am a bit confused as you are already at $4000 without the BDP1400.
post #4 of 17 Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM

you also need a source compononent
Dvd
blu-ray
hd-dvd

something...

you are however on the right track....you just have to remember some of that little stuff can add up quick..
post #5 of 17 Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

junk handler, 705 I read does not upscale/convert SD to HD that well. Do you have a review I could use ? ....
Also Plasma over DLP .. better picture, higher viewing angle and mountable owing to the tighter ass

Pocket Aces: I either get the BD player OR get the upconverting receiver. (I realise they are not the same thing, but the BDP1400 gives me the option for playing BRDs and DVDs with a decent upconverting player)... And I also have my 5.1 sound platform using BDP's DTS Master Audio output ..
Ofcourse then I use a budget video processor for my 480i stuff ...

Is there any user reviews on the gefen home theater scaler plus ??? Is it any good, hows it different from the gefen home theater scaler ??
post #6 of 17 Old 10-12-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogol View Post

5. Any suggestions on a better speaker around $500 ?

I would strongly suggest spending a higher % of your budget on the speakers. $500 is not going to get you a lot in a surround sound package. And one thing to point out...after all of the other items in your theater are obsolete your speakers will still be working just about as well as the day you bought them. Basically you only have to buy speakers once. That's not to say you'll never want to upgrade them, but spending a little more now will give you a lot better value in the long run. It's probably for this reason that there's a longstanding rule/guide of spending 50% of your budget on speakers.

If your budget is firm, I'd suggest going with a cheaper display. Seems silly to me to spend 60% of your budget on the display. You can get a quality 50" plasma (Panasonic) for $1500 shipped. Spend the extra $700 on better speakers and an HD DVD player. You can get great deals on cables from monoprice.com.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-12-2007, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

BroadwayBlue: Thanks for your response ...

what is your feedback on KEF 2005.2 ? (forget what they are priced at the moment)

On paper, the KEF 2005.2 is not a really bad speaker !! (Thats putting it rather mildly)
Here's the review I went by : http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-spe...tml?tag=return

Its a not the newest (released around 2005) but as you pointed out, speakers(being primarily analog) age less quickly ...

Its not that I had tried to fit a speaker within my budget....
I saw a speaker getting rave reviews ... and is compact, and aesthetically "interesting" to say the least ... it also happens to fit snugly in my price range owing to being from the "yester-years"

What I forgot to mention is that right now I am in an apartment so I cant crank up the volume anywhere near the fullest.. so I wasn't looking for the loudest loud speakers or a ground shaking sub ...

Further more the point in buying an expensive TV and a inexpensive speakers is :
Easier(financially and physically) to replace bad quality(not!!) speakers that weigh a couple of pounds and than replace a 50" behemoth TV which gets badly outdated in 2 years ...
post #8 of 17 Old 10-12-2007, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Also to put things into better perspective ... I do not listen to a lot of music CDs. The speakers would be primarily for movie/TV watching
post #9 of 17 Old 10-12-2007, 01:34 PM

You're spending about $1500 on the audio portion. The general recommendation is to spend at least half on speakers since those make the biggest difference in audio quality.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogol View Post

junk handler, 705 I read does not upscale/convert SD to HD that well. Do you have a review I could use ? ....
Also Plasma over DLP .. better picture, higher viewing angle and mountable owing to the tighter ass

Pocket Aces: I either get the BD player OR get the upconverting receiver. (I realise they are not the same thing, but the BDP1400 gives me the option for playing BRDs and DVDs with a decent upconverting player)... And I also have my 5.1 sound platform using BDP's DTS Master Audio output ..
Ofcourse then I use a budget video processor for my 480i stuff ...

Is there any user reviews on the gefen home theater scaler plus ??? Is it any good, hows it different from the gefen home theater scaler ??

Get a cheaper receiver and a blu-ray player. Why spend all that money just to play upconverted DVDs when you can have true 1080p from Blu-Ray? Run HDMI and you won't need video processing of the expensive receivers. I wouldn't worry too much about the 480i and just let your TV do what it can. You can get a 605 or DG910 for $350 to $400 and a PS3 or BDP1400 to play blu-rays for $400-500. PS3 does a fine job of upconverting regular DVDs too BTW.
post #11 of 17 Old 10-12-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post

You're spending about $1500 on the audio portion. The general recommendation is to spend at least half on speakers since those make the biggest difference in audio quality.

C'mon guys forget the price and budget of things for once !!.. incidentally I AM spending about 3/8ths($1500/$4000) of my budget (a sliver less than 50%) ... on my audio .

To my understanding KEFs will more than do justice to the sound generated by the receivers I had in mind ....

Please let me know if there's anything in particular you have against the speakers I chose....
Is there a better surround speaker setup that you would rather at around 700-800 bucks ??....

Please understand, that I never for once in my mind, doubt that your expertise in the HT field is much deeper than mine ... but as I said, I really can not play my speakers with all guns blazing owing to my apartment scenario

Question:What % would you attribute to the receiver and the speakers' contributions respectively, towards the creation of a surround sound stage ?....
post #12 of 17 Old 10-12-2007, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

To all the passers-by ...
please also comment on my video choices/ or options ...
It might have been obvious by now I am putting a premium on what I get to see rather than what I get to hear, owing to a sound-sensitive-neighbour scenario
post #13 of 17 Old 10-12-2007, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Pocket Aces: Thanks for your BDP1400+605 suggestion .... I'll keep that one mind ...
Any one knows exactly what the 605's "popping-issue" is ??

Also, has any one tried theBDP1400's 5.1 audio output to create surround sound? It is DTS Master Audio I believe ....

Any thoughts on 605 vs VX661 vs STRDG910 ? I believe 605 won a recent poll that was rather similar.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

I got my 605 over a month ago now and it has been stellar. No popping sounds what so ever. Everything seems to be working properly and it was easy to setup.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
70" JVC IDLA 1080p
Parts Express Dayton 15" powered sub kit
Toshiba A2 HD-DVD player
3 pair JBL E30
Best AVR you can find with the money left over that has at least 3 HDMI inputs on it.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-16-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Pocket Aces:
Could you tell how well your 605 upconverts 480i/480p material. Does it upconvert only to 720p? The answer would be really appreciated .... I believe it is pretty good on the sound department.

John Denver: I am decided on my TV .. samsung 5084... no turning back ...
I really liked your suggestion for the sub kit ... I like getting my hands dirty and this sounds like a fun thing to do ...
I am not looking to rock the house .. so am looking at the Dayton C1500 15" Powered Subwoofer Kit. Do you have first hand experience on this ? How does it sound in lower volumes ?? ...
I am still going for the KEF .. but might have this as an additional sub ..

Thanks for your inputs guys ... any suggestions on sound dampeners??
Looks like I might need those now
post #17 of 17 Old 10-16-2007, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That is a killer sub, better than the one I mentioned on both music and at lower volumes in my opinion. I use two of what I mentioned, because I have high demand and I needed matching subs in he theater, I already owned on cabinet, so I just ordered a second cabinet only. I use 500 watt Oaudio Bash amps with mine, I don't even remember what drivers I used. So I didn't buy the kit per sae, but only the cabinets, which are just decent, nothing all to special at all.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page