help: integra, onkyo, nad, arcam? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-14-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
I am picking up a new plasma this week which will more than likely be the 58" commercial panasonic model and of course I need a receiver upgrade to go with it

I currently have an integra 7.1 that is driving my paradigm studio reference 60v3's, cc-570 center, adp 470's, and seismic 12 sub.

I am considering the following models and would like to get some thoughts from you on video scaling capability (if I need it?), sound (I'll be using it for 75% movies/25%music), and general capabilities.

Integra 8.8 (possibly 7.8) I think these both have the reon processor
Onkyo 905
NAD T775
Arcam AVR 300

Which one of these would you recommend for my setup and listening environment?

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theater_dma View Post

Hi All,
I am picking up a new plasma this week which will more than likely be the 58" commercial panasonic model and of course I need a receiver upgrade to go with it

I currently have an integra 7.1 that is driving my paradigm studio reference 60v3's, cc-570 center, adp 470's, and seismic 12 sub.

I am considering the following models and would like to get some thoughts from you on video scaling capability (if I need it?), sound (I'll be using it for 75% movies/25%music), and general capabilities.

Integra 8.8 (possibly 7.8) I think these both have the reon processor
Onkyo 905
NAD T775
Arcam AVR 300

Which one of these would you recommend for my setup and listening environment?

Thanks,
David

I have a NAD T775. check the T775 with HDMI 1.3 thread for the details, but I am very happy with the sound quality. I can't speak for the Arcam, and I know that is a very well received brand/model, but I think the NAD beats out the Onkyo and Integra.

One important note: if you get the T775, make sure you don't get one of the early release models as they do not support 8 channels of LPCM over the HDMI connection. According to NAD, the problem can be fixed, but I would imagine you'd rather not have to worry about the hassle of getting this done. I'm going through it right now and it is rather annoying.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'll be posting later, but I had an Onkyo 905 on approval last week to compare to one of my AVR350s as I was considering the HD audio via HDMI thing. I currently use the 350s analog ins and a Zektor MAS switch to allow multiple sources. Speakers are Linn.

The 905 was not even close to the SQ of the Arcam. All the bells and whistles were great, but the unit could not deliver the one thing i was hoping for...Sound quality. Major dissapointment to say the least.

More detailed post to follow

Hope this helps

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #4 of 14 Old 10-30-2007, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Coldmachine, thanks for the info!
I have been spending quite a bit of time reading reviews of the Onkyo/Integra, Arcam, NAD, and Denon receivers. I have ruled out the NAD for now based on the number of comments I read regarding QA problems.

The current Integra and Onkyo seem to be good as far as reviews go. I currently have an Integra 7.2 and am looking for a replacement. It has been trouble free and overall a great receiver for the money.

Just curious how was the video switching between the Onkyo and Arcam? Everyone is talking about the Reon in the 905 but not sure if it actually looks any better than the Arcam. As I would probably just go direct from source to TV for now anyway it sounds like the Arcam may be a better choice.

Looking forward to reading a more detailed post from you on the Arcam vs. Onkyo...

I have seen several folks also discussing Denon vs. Arcam and it seems to go back and forth based Denon features and not a large "noticable" difference in SQ for the money. Not sure how true this is.

Also, would you mind PM'ing me with info on expected street price for the AVR 350?

Thanks,
David
post #5 of 14 Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theater_dma View Post

Coldmachine, thanks for the info!
I have been spending quite a bit of time reading reviews of the Onkyo/Integra, Arcam, NAD, and Denon receivers. I have ruled out the NAD for now based on the number of comments I read regarding QA problems.

The current Integra and Onkyo seem to be good as far as reviews go. I currently have an Integra 7.2 and am looking for a replacement. It has been trouble free and overall a great receiver for the money.

Just curious how was the video switching between the Onkyo and Arcam? Everyone is talking about the Reon in the 905 but not sure if it actually looks any better than the Arcam. As I would probably just go direct from source to TV for now anyway it sounds like the Arcam may be a better choice.

Looking forward to reading a more detailed post from you on the Arcam vs. Onkyo...

I have seen several folks also discussing Denon vs. Arcam and it seems to go back and forth based Denon features and not a large "noticable" difference in SQ for the money. Not sure how true this is.

Also, would you mind PM'ing me with info on expected street price for the AVR 350?

Thanks,
David

All my video goes direct to my projectors as they have better VP than any current recievers. To be honest Denons are good units but still a long way short of the 350 for pure SQ. I have no idea on current street price.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #6 of 14 Old 10-31-2007, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

theater, good work on the NAD - just not worth it.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-31-2007, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My H/K 745 kills the Onkyos. I love the NAD too.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 AM

hi - i am new to this section and back in the audio game again - i am looking for a good Receiver now - and want good sound as well as video - but sounds is important -
i like the new NAD's - price is always a concern - so is a high end Onkyo as good or good enough compared to the new NAD's ? i will be using it for 2 channels for now - maybe up grade to 5.1 later - and want to bi - amp two channels to the front with a 7.1 unit - i have a set of klipsch classics - not huge speakers - KG3 - but love them - and still using a very old 2 channel amp - soundcraftsman if anyone heard of it here - with preamp tuner from them also - everything works still but want to get a good 7.1 receiver to use with a New TV at some point - i like the NAD - just wondering if i can close to that performance with a less expensive unit -

any ideas or recommendations - price is open for now but cant get too crazy - like to stay under 2 grand or less if i can --thanks
post #9 of 14 Old 11-12-2007, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

My H/K 745 kills the Onkyos. I love the NAD too.

Always interesting to read notes like this. - The HK simply "KILLS" the Onkyos. - Of course, we have no suggestions as to what you mean by this statement, and whether you are speaking of audio quality, versatility, features, HDMI 1.3 capabilities, future proof design, etc., etc. Or which model Onkyo you listened to. If you did.

Assuming that you were referring to audio quality, and assuming that the speakers were compatible with the particular amps (no clipping, no unusual power or current requirements), what is the basis for your conclusion? - Did you by any chance conduct blind listening tests, WITH VOLUMES LEVEL-MATCHED TO WITHIN .1 dB, listening to the same material, on the same system, in the same room? If not, your conclusions are questionable to say the least.

Jim
post #10 of 14 Old 11-12-2007, 07:34 AM

I agree -- most come to conclusions based on there own opinion - which is fine - - i went to Harveys to listen to the new NAD's - and while there - was rethinking - about price etc. and sound - since i been out of the audio field for a long time now - i listened to a Marantz - and it was very nice - i belieave i may go with one of the newer models of Marantz - it fits what i need and price wise is very good since i need to buy everything - TV Stand - 46 inch lcd - etc. so price is a bit of a concern - the new model does have HDMI 1.3 - 4 of them i think going in and one out -
it is not future proof compared to the NAD and the Onkyo but my main purpose is for good Music - i dont need 7.1 which is has and i dont really care about the future audio features for surrond etc. - what it has is just fine - i listened to it and sounds great - i will use it with a pair of older Klipsch i have - two channel for now - and add center - sub and rear in time - which leaves me with 2 channels left which i can bi-amp to the front - any input on the Marantz ??? i never had one - how does the Marantz compare to Onkyo or NAD for that matter in terms of audio music sound etc.. --

thanks -
post #11 of 14 Old 11-12-2007, 07:44 AM

Marantz is better than Onkyo SQ wise, not sure about NAD
post #12 of 14 Old 02-09-2008, 03:07 AM

Nad T775 & Matching Spekar
post #13 of 14 Old 02-09-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

I agree -- most come to conclusions based on there own opinion - which is fine - - i went to Harveys to listen to the new NAD's - and while there - was rethinking - about price etc. and sound - since i been out of the audio field for a long time now - i listened to a Marantz - and it was very nice - i belieave i may go with one of the newer models of Marantz - it fits what i need and price wise is very good since i need to buy everything - TV Stand - 46 inch lcd - etc. so price is a bit of a concern - the new model does have HDMI 1.3 - 4 of them i think going in and one out -
it is not future proof compared to the NAD and the Onkyo but my main purpose is for good Music - i dont need 7.1 which is has and i dont really care about the future audio features for surrond etc. - what it has is just fine - i listened to it and sounds great - i will use it with a pair of older Klipsch i have - two channel for now - and add center - sub and rear in time - which leaves me with 2 channels left which i can bi-amp to the front - any input on the Marantz ??? i never had one - how does the Marantz compare to Onkyo or NAD for that matter in terms of audio music sound etc.. --

thanks -

to be honest blindfolded if they switched the units without you knowing
the odds of you being able to tell which one is playing everytime are
against you ,those are all fine units get the one that fits your needs
you will be happier.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-09-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Always interesting to read notes like this. - The HK simply "KILLS" the Onkyos. - Of course, we have no suggestions as to what you mean by this statement, and whether you are speaking of audio quality, versatility, features, HDMI 1.3 capabilities, future proof design, etc., etc. Or which model Onkyo you listened to. If you did.

Assuming that you were referring to audio quality, and assuming that the speakers were compatible with the particular amps (no clipping, no unusual power or current requirements), what is the basis for your conclusion? - Did you by any chance conduct blind listening tests, WITH VOLUMES LEVEL-MATCHED TO WITHIN .1 dB, listening to the same material, on the same system, in the same room? If not, your conclusions are questionable to say the least.

Jim

I have owned H/K. My last unit was the AVR-7300, it was OK. I just moved over to the Onkyo 885. It is a NIGHT AND DAY COMPAIRSON! The Onkyo wins HANDS DOWN! I purchased my 7300 when it was Bleeding Edge Technologies with no real bugs. The 745 is Bleeding edge Technology and still has bugs! You can set the volume for each input on the Onkyo, to .1 dB? But WHO CARES! I think that people care about CODECS, SOUND and PICTURE QUALITY and FEATURES.

A person should go and listen to as many different Receivers as possible. Use our comments as a guide, not gospel! You need to go out and experience these systems for yourself. All the units mentioned have a good retail network, go out and view them. But I don't know if you can find any 745's in the retail stores. I have seen allot of REFERBS on EBAY.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page