Need recommendation for 5.1 setup.. about $1,000ish - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-18-2007, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all,

I currently have an Onkyo HT-SR800 and although I haven't finished tinkering with all the settings for the individual speakers, I was thinking of falling back onto my original (and more daunting) plan of building a custom set.. either all at once, or bit by bit (start off with receiver and two fronts)

Any advice? =D

and... my apologies if this is the incorrect forum

EDIT: forgot to say, i'm not certain if I need 7.1 but being able to upgrade to it would be a good idea. I also definitely wish to have DTS playback capability.. not sure what other fancy stuff I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Check out this thread on av123. Some very nice bargains.

Also look at the Acculines from theaudioinsider.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usp1 View Post

Check out this thread on av123. Some very nice bargains.

Also look at the Acculines from theaudioinsider.

Thanks, but which thread are you referring to?
post #4 of 8 Old 10-19-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's a suggestion:

Elemental Designs speakers (http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php). Shipping is free, BTW.

A3 - 5TC Bookshelf (2 Pairs) $300
A6 - 5T5 Center $115
A2 - 250 Subwoofer $300

Sony STR-DG910 AV Receiver from J&R (authorized Sony dealer so no warranty hassles) http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...d.SON+STRDG910

Sony STR-DG910 AV Receiver $330
post #5 of 8 Old 10-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeez View Post

Thanks, but which thread are you referring to?

Sorry I forgot to post the thread. Here it is:

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=24756
post #6 of 8 Old 10-19-2007, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice so far! I"m still looking at all these things and trying to wrap my brain around the million or so brands that I am seeing out there..

Polk
Athena
Infinity
JBL
HSU
SVS
etc...

it also 'helps' that I don't know much about speakers.. what should i look out for? What are signs of things I do not want and signs of things that I do want? Ohms? Frequency? I already know that watts is kind of confusing because it can be misleading.. RMS?

tweeter size?
post #7 of 8 Old 10-19-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeez View Post

Thanks for the advice so far! I"m still looking at all these things and trying to wrap my brain around the million or so brands that I am seeing out there..

Polk
Athena
Infinity
JBL
HSU
SVS
etc...

it also 'helps' that I don't know much about speakers.. what should i look out for? What are signs of things I do not want and signs of things that I do want? Ohms? Frequency? I already know that watts is kind of confusing because it can be misleading.. RMS?

tweeter size?

It's a daunting task, I know. You can read threads (with pros and cons) on each of these brands in the Speaker and Subwoofer forums. However, given the budget you've stated, I'd really recommend you first take the time to really read the "Official HTIB Alternatives/Upgraders Thread" (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=809777). There you'll find folks considering the same questions that you're considering as well as actual users of Polk, Athena, Infinity, JBL, HSU, SVS, etc... all under one roof and with similar budget constraints.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-21-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

I think I've read about 20 different speaker manufacturers in 3 days.. my brain is melting. Every single manufacturer is beign touted as:

A) competitive in terms of price
B) competitive in terms of quality
c) the next greatest thing (today)

The problematic part is that if I"m going to return my current system I need to do it by the end of this week (end of oct)... so I"m rather pressed for time...which I don't have to begin with!

Beginning to lean towards spending more money right off the bat (1.5 to 2k) to try solve all my problems with money (which is a laugh, of course, as I couldn't possibly have enough money to buy a system which will truly make my problem 'solved').

So, getting back to my questions... what size tweeters/ speaker cones should i look for? Is it silly to get towers because I won't need to use stands, or should i avoid towers because (If i setupa 2.1 system first) the towers with low speakers won't make much sense as side-surrounds..

of course, further speaker brand and/or setup suggestions are always appreciated =D i'm still on page 21 of that 50+ page thread..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page