Can someone recommend a good receiver with HDMI audio for less than 350? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-04-2007, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my new HD-A2 and xbox 360. I want to replace my aging 5.1 channel Yamaha receiver with a receiver that supports hdmi video passthrough and also allows the audio from the hdmi to be passed to the speakers. Most receiver I have seen only allow the video to passthrough to the tv. My budget is about 350. I found the Sony STR-DG810 but I am not sure how good a receiver it is. My current speaker setup is 5.1 and I dont plan to add any more speakers for a while so 5.1 would be fine as well. Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-04-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If you can swing a few dollars more, the Onkyo 605 is a pretty nice setup and rather popular with members here on the board. Amazon has them for $420 with free shipping and it offers the latest Surround decoding formats and HDMI connection plus 7.1 surround. Not a bad buy. Spend the extra $70 bucks. You'd pay that if you bought locally with tax anyway.

Good luck!

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #3 of 14 Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I took a quick look via Nextag.com this morning and found the Sony STR-DG910 for $330. It's a better choice at that price the DG810 (7.1, 3 HDMI in/1 HDMI out, converts/transcodes composite & component video to HDMI, plays high def audio received as PCM from HD-A2, etc). OTOH, if you decide to stretch your budget, also consider the Yamaha RX-V661 and Sony STR-DG1000.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

I've currently got a Onkyo 604 and wanted to know how much of an upgrade there is to a Onkyo 605?

Looking for all the loseless surround formats and realize the 605 seems to be the logical choice...just wanted to some opinions on "Is it worth it". Right now my Toshiba A2 sends the Dolby True HD as Multichannel PCM which sounds alright but I'm not totally impressed.

Thinking about maybe making another leap in "quality"...but then again I've got a smaller living room so I don't know that I need some sort of $800 AVR

I've got the following to give you an idea what I'll be working with

LG 1080p 42'' LCD
Toshiba HD-A2
Onkyo 604
PSB Alpha T fronts
SVS NSD 10 and SVS center
Cheap Samsung surrounds (this is probably my next upgrade)
Brand new HTPC I built myself using optical out
Dish Network HD
post #5 of 14 Old 11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter844 View Post

I've currently got a Onkyo 604 and wanted to know how much of an upgrade there is to a Onkyo 605?

Looking for all the loseless surround formats and realize the 605 seems to be the logical choice...just wanted to some opinions on "Is it worth it". Right now my Toshiba A2 sends the Dolby True HD as Multichannel PCM which sounds alright but I'm not totally impressed.

Thinking about maybe making another leap in "quality"...but then again I've got a smaller living room so I don't know that I need some sort of $800 AVR

I've got the following to give you an idea what I'll be working with

LG 1080p 42'' LCD
Toshiba HD-A2
Onkyo 604
PSB Alpha T fronts
SVS NSD 10 and SVS center
Cheap Samsung surrounds (this is probably my next upgrade)
Brand new HTPC I built myself using optical out
Dish Network HD

The 605 will do exactly the same thing with the audio from the a2 as the 604, Multi Channel PCM. If your not satisfied with the sound, its not because its being sent as Multi Channel PCM, as its bit for bit identical.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post

The 605 will do exactly the same thing with the audio from the a2 as the 604, Multi Channel PCM. If your not satisfied with the sound, its not because its being sent as Multi Channel PCM, as its bit for bit identical.

So is the marketing of it supporting these next gen formats just hype? Or is it just that the 605 is as limited as the 604 in this regard? Is this the toshiba's doing and no receiver has anything to do with it?

The big thing I don't like about the Multichannel PCM is I can't get it to go into 7.1 mode and I tend to like the sound of that. I also find that some HD-DVD movies seem rather low volumed which I understand I'm am supposed to adjust accordingly. If it's supposedly ossless audio...why is it so low sounding when it comes out the other end
post #7 of 14 Old 11-05-2007, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So is the marketing of it supporting these next gen formats just hype? Or is it just that the 605 is as limited as the 604 in this regard? Is this the toshiba's doing and no receiver has anything to do with it?

The big thing I don't like about the Multichannel PCM is I can't get it to go into 7.1 mode and I tend to like the sound of that. I also find that some HD-DVD movies seem rather low volumed which I understand I'm am supposed to adjust accordingly. If it's supposedly ossless audio...why is it so low sounding when it comes out the other end

The 605 is not limited with internal decoding, the A2 is limiting it. You would need a player that can send High Resolution Bitstream, like the A35. Again, the only difference should be that the TrueHD light will light up, as the sound quality should be the same.

If you want to matrix 5.1 MC-PCM to 7.1, that has nothing to do with being PCM also. That has to do with the specific receiver. Some receivers allow this. Level 5 or Level 6 category in this thread:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=738511
The Onkyo 604 is a level 3.5, and CAN NOT matrix 5.1-7.1 PCM, like you said. The Onkyo 605 is a level 4, and also CAN NOT matrix 5.1-7.1 PCM.

You NEED to understand low volume = GOOD. It is called DYNAMIC RANGE, which is an incredible advantage to TrueHD. Quiet will be quiet, and loud will be loud.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-05-2007, 04:25 PM

Skippy, check your pm
post #9 of 14 Old 11-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post

The 605 is not limited with internal decoding, the A2 is limiting it. You would need a player that can send High Resolution Bitstream, like the A35. Again, the only difference should be that the TrueHD light will light up, as the sound quality should be the same.

If you want to matrix 5.1 MC-PCM to 7.1, that has nothing to do with being PCM also. That has to do with the specific receiver. Some receivers allow this. Level 5 or Level 6 category in this thread:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=738511
The Onkyo 604 is a level 3.5, and CAN NOT matrix 5.1-7.1 PCM, like you said. The Onkyo 605 is a level 4, and also CAN NOT matrix 5.1-7.1 PCM.

You NEED to understand low volume = GOOD. It is called DYNAMIC RANGE, which is an incredible advantage to TrueHD. Quiet will be quiet, and loud will be loud.

Thanks for the thread referal. I think I'm going to wait tell there is more information...hopefully spring 2008 will bring more support for post processing to 7.1 (Levels 5 & 6) especially for sub $500 range.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-05-2007, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the thread referal. I think I'm going to wait tell there is more information...hopefully spring 2008 will bring more support for post processing to 7.1 (Levels 5 & 6) especially for sub $500 range.

If your not against refurbs, this receiver is GREAT for the price and is level 6:http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?EDP=36683261

Heres another site that has it in stock for the same price:http://www.secondact.com/product/AVR...r__AVR887.html
post #11 of 14 Old 11-05-2007, 05:11 PM

Does anyone have the onkyo 504 and is useing it with the A2. If so i would to know how it is working for you.. I have one it is brand new and never use it yet.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-05-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The 504 is a decent receiver and sounds good. The only downside is it doesn't process Multi-Channel PCM over HDMI.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-06-2007, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right now my Toshiba A2 sends the Dolby True HD as Multichannel PCM which sounds alright but I'm not totally impressed.

As noted, that's what TrueHD is, packed PCM. Like a zipped computer file. DTS-HD MA also. And while such lossless compression means that the resulting data is identical to the master, it doesn't guarantee that the master itself is full of excitement.
It's also possible that many systems benefit from a more limited dynamic range.

And, breathless initial assertions to the contrary from new adopters notwithstanding, the jump to lossless is usually fairly subtle compared to a very good lossy track for most systems/people. Especially if you're actually watching a movie and not squinting into your eyelids listening for sonic revelation.

Quote:

I think I'm going to wait tell there is more information...hopefully spring 2008 will bring more support for post processing to 7.1 (Levels 5 & 6) especially for sub $500 range.

The Yamaha 661 mentioned above will do that, ~$400.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #14 of 14 Old 11-06-2007, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
661, was in the same spot as you last month, sounds the best, and does loseless hdmi audio
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page