The Official Onkyo TX-SR705 Thread (FAQ in 1st Post) - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 8886 Old 02-21-2008, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you scarecrow 420 for the answer.
The system has worked for two weeks though and it seems strange that it did work if the HDMI is bi-directional. I will try the optical route.
Wally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 8886 Old 02-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyh View Post

Thank you scarecrow 420 for the answer.
The system has worked for two weeks though and it seems strange that it did work if the HDMI is bi-directional. I will try the optical route.
Wally

HDMI is not bi-directional

i cant see how it was working in the past unless i am confused with what you are trying to do

are you trying to have the tv show you are watching, have its sound come out of the onkyo speakers (and you would mute the tv speakers)?

if so, my previous response is valid

IF you are trying to have the 705 FORWARD the audio on to the tv so it comes out of the tv speakers (and NOT the speakers attached to the receiver) then you need to turn on HDMI Audio ON in the menus, but this will downgrade the audio to 2 channel, and may stop it from coming out of the receiver's speakers... this is basically an option to forward on the audio to the tv

But since you said you want to watch tv (i assume on the internal tv tuner) then i cant see how you could have ever had the sound coming from the receiver in this case, if you havent hooked a sound output from the tv to an input on the receiver. Unless you just use your tv speakers for its internal tv channels
post #3333 of 8886 Old 02-21-2008, 07:06 PM

Scarecrow 420. I just looked at my TV manual to make sure I had an optical audio (I do) and under the HDMI IN it says "no sound connection is needed for an HDMI to HDMI connection". So I'm now really puzzled. I thought that this was the case when I setup the 705 and indeed it worked for two weeks like a charm.
Wally
post #3334 of 8886 Old 02-21-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 View Post

Fair enough... it sounds like you have tried what most of us would. Only other things i can suggest are to DOUBLE check you have plugged things to the correct speaker terminals on the back of the AVR, to make sure Zone 2 is not turned on (although yo uwould think audyssey wouldnt be affected by that!). Grasping at straws here but you could go into speaker setup menu, set crossover for those speakers, then use the speaker level test tones on teh AVR to see if you can get output from them. Verify that the speakers themselves do work when used for other channels, and that the wires you are using work if you shift them to another channel

Yeah, that was the process I used to find out that suround left also didn't work. That's also how I came to the conclusion that something is wrong with the suround terminals. All the others worked fine.

Hopefully, it won't take long to get my shipping label so I can return it. I also hope another one (or even this one if it is fixed) is shipped out quickly. I can live with my 605 for a while longer, but bad things happened to it and I broke the sub-input on it. I still have the warranty on it, but I doubt it will be covered since it is obvious that I broke it (actually my son did it).
post #3335 of 8886 Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 PM

Scarecrow 420.
I want the 705 to drive my surround system when I watch TV. The TV speakers are turned off. The 705 did drive the surround speakers for two weeks and all that was connected between the TV and the 705 was the single HDMI cable.
Wally
post #3336 of 8886 Old 02-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Scarecrow 420.
I want the 705 to drive my surround system when I watch TV. The TV speakers are turned off. The 705 did drive the surround speakers for two weeks and all that was connected between the TV and the 705 was the single HDMI cable.
Wally

OK and when you say watch TV you mean the internal tuner in the tv? Or do you have an external tv/cable box?

If you are talking about the internal tv tuner, then this is impossible! The HDMI cable between the 705 and tv goes from the 705 OUTPUT to the tv INPUT. The 705 OUTPUT cant accept sound and the tv's INPUT cant send sound. I dont know what else to say
post #3337 of 8886 Old 02-21-2008, 07:52 PM

Scarecrow420, sorry, I may not have been clear- I have Comcast cable DVR with HDMI to the 705 and HDMI from the 705 to the TV.
Wally
post #3338 of 8886 Old 02-21-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryis1 View Post

I do the exact same thing. Motorolla HD/DVR to Onkyo via HDMI, Motorolla HD/DVR to TV (Sony XBR LCD) via color component and stero audio. My Logitech Harmony 880 handles the input switching as long as I point it in the right direction.

Best Regards,
Larry

You had to mention you have a Harmony

Best Regards,

Benjamin
post #3339 of 8886 Old 02-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Scarecrow420, sorry, I may not have been clear- I have Comcast cable DVR with HDMI to the 705 and HDMI from the 705 to the TV.
Wally

ah ok now we are getting somewhere Sorry, i guess when i saw you say "Watch TV" activity on your harmony i assumed this was the digital free to air TV. In my case, I have "Watch TV" for the digital free to air from the TV itself, and "Watch Foxtel" for my satellite tv... sorry for the confusion

Make sure the HDMI input you are using (1 2 or 3) is assigned to the 705 input channel you want to use (eg CABLE/SAT) in both the HDMI Assignment (assigns the video) and Digital Assignment (assigns the audio) menus.

Review your settings on the DVR to make sure it is set up to output sound via HDMI

Make sure HDMI Audio Out is OFF on the Onkyo

That should be all you need to do to have the DVR work through 705

Also to check if it was just a harmony problem, you can use the HELP button to have it resend the commands etc incase an input was missing, but i assume your problem is you are getting video but no audio, which must either be a problem with the input assignments, or a problem with the sound output settings on the DVR
post #3340 of 8886 Old 02-21-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just got the 705 a couple of days ago. I have not hooked it up yet, waiting on my speaker wires and accessories to come from monoprice.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #3341 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian32672 View Post

Answers in red.
So, it looks as though for me, I find PURE old fashioned MANUAL settings, better and more correct (certainly for my taste).
And NO, I am not a big fan of MCACC either, but for my room, it seems to be more correct than Audissey has been.
Also, this is in no way a bad reflection towards Onkyo 705, as the processing for it are some of the best that I'VE heard.
But is more in-line with the inconsistencies with the Audessey set-up.

Meh, once again peace out.

Sorry, I've never used or heard of MCACC.
You seem to have covered everything. I don't know what else to suggest except using your expertise and ear to set it up manually. In the end if it sounds good to you, what else matters. My problem is I have to rely on Audyssey because I don't have a good ear - unless something is seriously wrong.
post #3342 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 05:40 AM

Should I be able to select Neural-THX Surround when playing Resistace Fall of Man on PS3. I can't select it, but I almost am sure I could when I first started playing it a month or so ago. Now it defaults to multi channel. Any help?
post #3343 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpson View Post

Should I be able to select Neural-THX Surround when playing Resistace Fall of Man on PS3. I can't select it, but I almost am sure I could when I first started playing it a month or so ago. Now it defaults to multi channel. Any help?

I think RFOM has a 7.1 soundtrack. If that's true, no, you can't apply Neural-THX to 7.1. Are you getting any sound out of your Surround Back speakers? If you press the Display button, what signal type does your 705 say you're receiving?
post #3344 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 06:14 AM

I'm only useing 5.1. Yes, I get sound out of the rears. I'll check the signal when I get home tonight.
post #3345 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 06:29 AM

Not sure if this should be asked in a ps3 forum or this 705 forum, sorry in advance on that...

I have a ps3 and a 705, the ps3 goes thru the 705 via hdmi to the tv via hdmi, in the ps3 menus I tried adjusting basically every one of the video settings - but no matter what I do the picture on standard dvd that is supposed to be upconverted looks HORRIBLE.

If i play a bluray it looks great, I have an older sony dvd player with upconvert built in and it makes standard discs look darn good, but I am trying to simplify the audio rack and "thought" my ps3 would offer a good upconverted picture.

When I run the ps3 thru the 705, are there any settings within the 705 i need to adjust PICTURE wise or is it just a pass thru video wise?

I have 2 tvs setup a 42 regza and a 119 projector, the movie no reservations (standard dvd not bluray) looked really bad on both sets thru ps3 thru 705 via hdmi.

On ps3 i remember i had made sure that i had set the upconvert feature to normal (even tried a few other settings) tried a few of the other video options, just nothing looked "good", could have just been the movie too i guess but curious if for video thru the hdmi thru the 705 are there any settings i need to adjust?

Bill
post #3346 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 06:36 AM

I have a 705 and love it, my hdmi out is limited to one but I have two tvs in that room, a 42 regza lcd and a 119 panny projector, both have hdmi so currently i am behind the 705 often swapping out hdmi output to the projector or 42 inch depending on if we are watching everyday tv or having a movie night.

What options do i have in a manual ab type switch (thinking cheap if possible) even if it involves going up and hitting a manual switch, but are there any a/b type switches that would allow me to use the 705's one hdmi out and split that in two so i could switch between the two tvs without having to dig behind the unit every other day?

I did try a splitter type cord suggested from the boards here, (same switch i used is here) http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdspseonehdo.html
it did NOT work for my setup, (one tv worked other didnt) wasn't expecting them to both work at the same time, but still it wouldn't work for one or the other as I hoped it would) but if there is some sort of ab switch i could buy i would just get that.

Maybe I am using the wrong terms in searching but every hdmi box i see does the opposite of what I want, seems most take 3-5 inputs and makes them go to one output, i want the opposite, to take 1 output and have it be an a/b switch (not at the same time) but to supply either tv...

Worst case I will buy a short extension hdmi cord so my swapping is easier to reach from the extension cable vs having to dig behind the 705 everytime...

Any suggestions?

Bill
post #3347 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLOSM View Post

I have a 705 and love it, my hdmi out is limited to one but I have two tvs in that room, a 42 regza lcd and a 119 panny projector, both have hdmi so currently i am behind the 705 often swapping out hdmi output to the projector or 42 inch depending on if we are watching everyday tv or having a movie night.

What options do i have in a manual ab type switch (thinking cheap if possible) even if it involves going up and hitting a manual switch, but are there any a/b type switches that would allow me to use the 705's one hdmi out and split that in two so i could switch between the two tvs without having to dig behind the unit every other day?

I did try a splitter type cord suggested from the boards here, (same switch i used is here) http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdspseonehdo.html
it did NOT work for my setup, (one tv worked other didnt) wasn't expecting them to both work at the same time, but still it wouldn't work for one or the other as I hoped it would) but if there is some sort of ab switch i could buy i would just get that.

Maybe I am using the wrong terms in searching but every hdmi box i see does the opposite of what I want, seems most take 3-5 inputs and makes them go to one output, i want the opposite, to take 1 output and have it be an a/b switch (not at the same time) but to supply either tv...

Worst case I will buy a short extension hdmi cord so my swapping is easier to reach from the extension cable vs having to dig behind the 705 everytime...

Any suggestions?

Bill

This may do the trick, but is a little pricey. It has 4 1n and 2 out. http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/4...E-p-17230.html

tmoss
post #3348 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmauceri View Post

This may do the trick, but is a little pricey. It has 4 1n and 2 out. http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/4...E-p-17230.html

HDMI 1.2, HDCP 1.1 and DVI 1.0 compliant.

Not 1.3, if it matters to you.
post #3349 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjosevilla View Post

HDMI 1.2, HDCP 1.1 and DVI 1.0 compliant.

Not 1.3, if it matters to you.

If you are only sending video do you need 1.3?

tmoss
post #3350 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 09:23 AM

I am new to this home theater thing and have discovered an irritating problem.
I have the Onkyo SR705 receiver and have found that my HD broadcasts thru my cable box deliver a substantial increas in the volume levels of sound during the commercials. Is there something in my receiver that I can set to equalize the sound volumes between the regular shows and the commercials?

If not on the receiver, is there anything that can be added to my system that would do this?
post #3351 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic 66 View Post

I just picked up my 705 on Friday and I am having a little bit of a problem with my HDMI synching. I have been reading/searching through the thread but so far I have not seen anything mentioned in regards to my problem. The 3 devices I have hooked up to the HDMI inputs of the 705 are a Directv HR20-700, XBOX 360 and Toshiba HD-A3. The 705 is then connected to the HDMI on my JVC HD-52Z585 720P display. I am using a Harmony 680 remote and the problem I am having is that if the 705 is not on the proper input prior to a device being powered on it will not synch and my TV gives me a "No Signal" message. Changing inputs on the 705 and back to the correct input corrects the problem. If all my devices are off and I power everything on for the first time with the Harmony everything works fine since I was able to change the order in which the devices powered on (I just made sure the 705 was powered on first). The problem is when I go to change activities the new device being powered on will turn on before the 705 will switch inputs and therefore will not synch properly. I never have this problem with the Toshiba HD-A3 since it takes about 30 seconds to power on and therefore gives the 705 time to change inputs before the handshake takes place. I spent some time with Logitec support to find out if they can get my 680 to send the input change on the 705 first but no luck (I will try to get a 2nd level tech support when I get time). Has anyone else had this problem with the 705? My guess is maybe my display could be causing the handshake issue. I did have a Harman Kardon 247 for a while before the 705 and had no HDMI handshake issues using the same devices and remote. My tempory fix was to add the input commands I needed to the Harmony and I change the input on the 705 before I change activities. Everything synchs perfectly when I do this but it kind of defeats the purpose of the Harmony remote. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Anyone else encountering this problem using a Harmony remote?
post #3352 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I have a 705 and love it, my hdmi out is limited to one Bill

I may have misunderstood but is there a reason your not using RGB instead of switching the HDMI?

-Netrat-
Duck Tape Engineering
post #3353 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Not sure if this should be asked in a ps3 forum or this 705 forum, sorry in advance on that...

I have a ps3 and a 705, the ps3 goes thru the 705 via hdmi to the tv via hdmi, in the ps3 menus I tried adjusting basically every one of the video settings - but no matter what I do the picture on standard dvd that is supposed to be upconverted looks HORRIBLE.

If i play a bluray it looks great, I have an older sony dvd player with upconvert built in and it makes standard discs look darn good, but I am trying to simplify the audio rack and "thought" my ps3 would offer a good upconverted picture.

When I run the ps3 thru the 705, are there any settings within the 705 i need to adjust PICTURE wise or is it just a pass thru video wise?

I have 2 tvs setup a 42 regza and a 119 projector, the movie no reservations (standard dvd not bluray) looked really bad on both sets thru ps3 thru 705 via hdmi.

On ps3 i remember i had made sure that i had set the upconvert feature to normal (even tried a few other settings) tried a few of the other video options, just nothing looked "good", could have just been the movie too i guess but curious if for video thru the hdmi thru the 705 are there any settings i need to adjust?

Bill

HDMI to HDMI is just pass through on the 705. Nothing you need to do.
post #3354 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpson View Post

I'm only useing 5.1. Yes, I get sound out of the rears. I'll check the signal when I get home tonight.

You're playing a game that natively supports 5.1, so there's no need to use matrixing like Neural-THX. You might have seen the option at some point if your sound settings were different on the PS3 (outputting only two channel, for instance).
post #3355 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

I turned it back off for me since it made the screen size much smaller and didnt fill the entire area even when switching size modes on my Panasonic 700U plasma and it introduced noise in the top lines of the pix so it wasnt a good thing for me so... a little dissapointed.
Makes me have to get my SD sattelite upgraded to HD much sooner now

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

IMO, the upscaling to 720p is not very good with this machine, someone else in this thread made a good point, that there is a reason the 720p upscale option is buried in a hidden menu... it's because the feature doesn't work all the good. But of course, try both and see which you prefer!

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #3356 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix96 View Post

You're playing a game that natively supports 5.1, so there's no need to use matrixing like Neural-THX. You might have seen the option at some point if your sound settings were different on the PS3 (outputting only two channel, for instance).

The more I think about it, you're probably right. Thanks for the info.
post #3357 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic 66 View Post

Anyone else encountering this problem using a Harmony remote?

You can power on your 705 to the input you want, by just pressing the input you want without powering on the recever first with the power button. For example, with the receiver off press the DVD button and the recever will power on in the DVD mode. This simplifies any macro you might create with your remote.

tmoss
post #3358 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Well my cables arrived from Monoprice yesterday and I finished the setup of my 705 by hooking up the sub.
I was hoping for the best but got the worst
My sub is infact blown/messed up
When I tried the white noise test sound on the sub channel it put out an oscillating whooo-whooo-whooo sound
When I listened to regular CDs or TV with the sub it sounded weird.
Looks like I will have to replace the sub after all (Didnt want to spend more money!!!)

What would you guys recommend for me?

I have a 5.1 setup to my SR705 now

The current sub is a Infinity BU1 sub which is ported and 8" woofer
My fronts are JBL G300 (up to 80 watts)
My sats are Infinity Reference Series 2000.2 bookshelfs
My center is an Infinity CC-2

I would probably want to upgrade to a 10" woofer sub to get more out of my new setup
I have a PS3, Pani DMPDB30 Blu Ray, and a Pani 50" plasma

My living room size is about 20'x30x' and has vaulted ceilings

I dont want to spend $500-1000 on a sub
Maybe $200-$400 range (mid level)
Would refurb be good?
Any ideas on brands? I havent bought speakers in a long time so Im kind of out of it on whats good right now

Thanks for any advice or help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluLover View Post

Which one is the direct button?

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #3359 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglerxt View Post

Well my cables arrived from Monoprice yesterday and I finished the setup of my 705 by hooking up the sub.
I was hoping for the best but got the worst
My sub is infact blown/messed up
When I tried the white noise test sound on the sub channel it put out an oscillating whooo-whooo-whooo sound
When I listened to regular CDs or TV with the sub it sounded weird.
Looks like I will have to replace the sub after all (Didnt want to spend more money!!!)

What would you guys recommend for me?

I have a 5.1 setup to my SR705 now

The current sub is a Infinity BU1 sub which is ported and 8" woofer
My fronts are JBL G300 (up to 80 watts)
My sats are Infinity Reference Series 2000.2 bookshelfs
My center is an Infinity CC-2

I would probably want to upgrade to a 10" woofer sub to get more out of my new setup
I have a PS3, Pani DMPDB30 Blu Ray, and a Pani 50" plasma

My living room size is about 20'x30x' and has vaulted ceilings

I dont want to spend $500-1000 on a sub
Maybe $200-$400 range (mid level)
Would refurb be good?
Any ideas on brands? I havent bouht speakers in a long time so Im kind of out of it on whats good right now

Thanks for any advice or help

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...ber=ATASP4100B

This is now discounted from $300 to $149. I have the 12" larger brother which has now been discontinued. The Athena speakers have been getting good reviews in the AVS Forum.

My fronts are also Athena speakers.
post #3360 of 8886 Old 02-22-2008, 12:23 PM

I upgraded from the BU1 last year to a sub from www.hsuresearch.com and have been extremely happy. I bought the VTF-2 MK 3 and love it. The BU1 does not even compare.

That being said, you should probably go over to the sub forum and poke around there so we don't get this thread OT.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page