Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seems we have discussed this every week or so on here now
I asked about it too and they replied a while back
Seems the nature of the beast on this baby
Needs to be added the FAQ - Why is my AVR soung pausing when switching from DD 5.1 to PLII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgumby View Post

I'm curious is there a way to "fix" the surround sound type to the input so that their are no audio pauses during commercials and then going back to the show? Or is this because it's always trying to figure out what the audio stream is and their is no way of forcing it to just use one?

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peano View Post

Good to know I'm not dreaming. I notice the exact same thing. For the last 10 to 15 db of volume it stays the same and is not nearly loud enough - equal to about 1/2 volume on my Yamaha RXV450 which cost half the price. (I am playing HD concerts from my 622 like David Gilmore at the Royal Albert and I like to have it cranked.)

I am suprised more people haven't noticed this on what seems to be a very popular AVR. Even with Audyssey off, this receiver is weak in the wattage department. I knew I should have bought a Pioneer.

I think you may have a bad receiver. my volume on 705 is from 0-99 and at 40 it kicking.i did not like the way the volume was set so i set it at 0-99.
post #4263 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW, that has to be the most in depth faq I have ever read...props.

My question is this: I am a middle of the road guy, I like things simple and not too complicated, is this receiver fairly easy to set up? is there still an issue with the ps3? I will have my x box 360, ps3 and hd sat box hooked in thru HDMI, the lip syncing issue is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on this baby.

I have painfully been reading through the pages of post and getting great info but I just want to be sure I'm not creating myself a new problem by purchasing this and finding out I have to jack with it every time I wanna watch/play x box 360 and ps3

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #4264 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

WOW, that has to be the most in depth faq I have ever read...props.

My question is this: I am a middle of the road guy, I like things simple and not too complicated, is this receiver fairly easy to set up? is there still an issue with the ps3? I will have my x box 360, ps3 and hd sat box hooked in thru HDMI, the lip syncing issue is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on this baby.

I have painfully been reading through the pages of post and getting great info but I just want to be sure I'm not creating myself a new problem by purchasing this and finding out I have to jack with it every time I wanna watch/play x box 360 and ps3

The 705 was a breeze to setup, its especially easy using HDMI connections!

The audyssey is great for 99% of people, however there are a few who prefer to set things up themselves. I used the audyssey settings and then just adjusted a few things manually, easy!

I have had zero lip-sync issues with mine, it has worked flawlessly!

Go for it... OR... you might want to wait until the 706 comes out... Onkyo has already released the 506, 576, and soon the 606... so I'm sure the 706 is coming too.
post #4265 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 03:08 PM

Liked: 11
I hope the 705 gets a firmware upgrade to handle the Sharp Aquos Link
like the new Onkyo TX-SA606X.
post #4266 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy555 View Post

I think you may have a bad receiver. my volume on 705 is from 0-99 and at 40 it kicking.i did not like the way the volume was set so i set it at 0-99.

I usually set mine at about 75-80 when watching movies. I never listen to it at 40 because the sound is much too low. I don't recall any of my speakers being lower than a -8 when running the Audyssey setup.

I have everything attached through HDMI as well, the setup was surprisingly easy.
post #4267 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Folks that say the volume is too low must be deaf (seriously) or have a bad set. I can barely get my volume past (-7 Relative) (75 Absolute) and I am already at ear capacity level for me. Must be a problem with their sets IMO.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #4268 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

Folks that say the volume is too low must be deaf (seriously) or have a bad set. I can barely get my volume past (-7 Relative) (75 Absolute) and I am already at ear capacity level for me. Must be a problem with their sets IMO.

shXX I run mine at -40 (relative) and sounds great to me
post #4269 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabre View Post

shXX I run mine at -40 (relative) and sounds great to me

Did you run Audyssey and check the SPL afterwards? -40 on a properly calibrated system should yield roughly 42db, maybe 50 during peaks. Unless 40 is loud to your ears.

Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #4270 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post

I usually set mine at about 75-80 when watching movies. I never listen to it at 40 because the sound is much too low. I don't recall any of my speakers being lower than a -8 when running the Audyssey setup.

I have everything attached through HDMI as well, the setup was surprisingly easy.

that why your volume is low i set my volume at +3 on all my
speakers.
post #4271 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:

It only happens after running Audyssey. If I reset the receiver to defaults, -7db is quite loud. With Audyssey on, -7db is something I could listen to for hours very comfortably. Somehow Audyssey is "filtering" out the volume. Probably only with certain speaker setups. I have JBL LX500 fronts, a B&W CC6 center, Infinity rears and a 12" Sony powered sub. All are 8 ohms and can take alot of power.
post #4272 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you run Audyssey and check the SPL afterwards? -40 on a properly calibrated system should yield roughly 42db, maybe 50 during peaks. Unless 40 is loud to your ears.

ran Audyssey but do not have a spl (at least not yet)
post #4273 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 08:15 PM

I've read the recent posts by a couple people experiencing low volumes from their 705. I just got one a week ago and have noticed the same thing (and my hearing is normal.) I checked with an RS sound meter and got the readings listed below with a hard rock band playing on MTD's hi-def station from a FIOS HD DVR connected to the 705 via HDMI. The sound level is similarly low when using the other connected devices (Blu-ray player and HD DVD player), so it isn't just the FIOS box. The two numbers below represent the 705 volume level and the corresponding RS meter readings from my listening postion 9 feet away from the front speakers:

-50, 52 (which is about the same reading as the ambient sound in the room)
-45, 59
-40, 63
-35, 67
-30, 73
-25, 78
-20, 83
-15, 87

Are these readings normal?

The meter readings were about 10-12 lower on the RS meter when the act switched from the hard rock band to one guy singing and playing an acoustic guitar (except at the 705's -50 and -45 settings because the ambient room noise was higher than the sound from the speakers, so the RS never went below 52).

I can hear no audible sound from the speakers at my listening position starting at around -70 on the 705. It is basically the same as mute.

I have max volume off. Intellivolume is at 0. The setting to send sound to the TV via HDMI is off. All the 5.1 speakers are 8 ohm and the 705 is set for 6 ohm (there is no 8 ohm setting).

The speaker calibration white noise (or whatever it is called) hits about 75 on the RS meter for all speakers, like it should.

I haven't run the Audessey calibration yet - will that make a difference?
post #4274 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemccl View Post

I've read the recent posts by a couple people experiencing low volumes from their 705. I just got one a week ago and have noticed the same thing (and my hearing is normal.) I checked with an RS sound meter and got the readings listed below with a hard rock band playing on MTD's hi-def station from a FIOS HD DVR connected to the 705 via HDMI. The sound level is similarly low when using the other connected devices (Blu-ray player and HD DVD player), so it isn't just the FIOS box. The two numbers below represent the 705 volume level and the corresponding RS meter readings from my listening postion 9 feet away from the front speakers:

-50, 52 (which is about the same reading as the ambient sound in the room)
-45, 59
-40, 63
-35, 67
-30, 73
-25, 78
-20, 83
-15, 87

Are these readings normal?

The meter readings were about 10-12 lower on the RS meter when the act switched from the hard rock band to one guy singing and playing an acoustic guitar (except at the 705's -50 and -45 settings because the ambient room noise was higher than the sound from the speakers, so the RS never went below 52).

I can hear no audible sound from the speakers at my listening position starting at around -70 on the 705. It is basically the same as mute.

I have max volume off. Intellivolume is at 0. The setting to send sound to the TV via HDMI is off. All the 5.1 speakers are 8 ohm and the 705 is set for 6 ohm (there is no 8 ohm setting).

I haven't run the Audessey calibration yet - will that make a difference?

These numbers appear high to me for the corresponding volume. Unless I am way off base here, but I do not think so.

Like I would expect -15 to be closer to 67db, -20 62db, and so on. Looks like you are running 20db higher than normal to me. As long as you can find a range of volume you like, I do not see it would be a problem in itself. But if you havent run Audyssey, definately give that a try, it might put these things in better alignment.

Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #4275 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Ok I wrote down all my firmware revs from the "hidden" menu trick
(HOLD down the Display button on front of AVR and then hit the Standby button, then let go and then use the +/- buttons next to the tone button on the front to scroll thru the info)

Main - v1.04 / 07X02A
DSPS 8051: 07601A
DSPS 8052: 07518A
DSPS 8053: 07820B
HDMI 1.01 / 07706A
VD 3.62 / 07717A

Anyone have something newer?
My Onk 705 is about 1.5 months old (since I owned it)

Anyone know what all that means?

Obviosuly the DSPS are the DSP ones
What is the VD?

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #4276 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It only happens after running Audyssey. If I reset the receiver to defaults, -7db is quite loud. With Audyssey on, -7db is something I could listen to for hours very comfortably. Somehow Audyssey is "filtering" out the volume. Probably only with certain speaker setups. I have JBL LX500 fronts, a B&W CC6 center, Infinity rears and a 12" Sony powered sub. All are 8 ohms and can take alot of power.

When you run audyssey, it calculates off the test tones how much it needs to trim each channel, so that they will all be around reference volume, at "0dB" on the volume scale (or 82 absolute). If your setup is inherrently "loud" then running audyssey might trim each channel by say -7 or -10dB, which basically means -7 on the dial after running audyssey, would be the same volume output as you got at -14 on the dial, before running audyssey.

So check your Speaker Level settings in the menu, and see what they got set to. Perhaps if it is setting them really low, your microphone might be out of spec, although i havent seen anyone with that prob before. Best thing to do is get an SPL meter and use the test tones, make sure you are getting the correct volume
post #4277 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 09:38 PM

I have a question regarding the Listening Mode Presets in Menu 5-3.

Should these all be set so they are equal? For example, should DD be set to DD, DTS to DTS, etc. instead of the default Last Valid? If this is true, what should I set for Analog/PCM, D.F. 2ch, D.F. Mono, Multich PCM and 192k/176.4k as each of these do not have a corresponding option?

I assume I should do this under each source I have hooked up (currently only HD-DVD and HD DISH Network, both through HDMI).

I am trying to make sure I have the correct default settings for each source.

Thanks for the help!
post #4278 of 8896 Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

You dont actually HAVE to set the defaults... Last Valid is fine if you dont do much changing between listening modes

Last Valid will simply remember whatever the last selection you made was when receiving that signal type. Eg if you are receiving a 2 channel stereo source, and using the remote you put the receiver into a listening mode eg "DTS:NEO" or whatever... With Last Valid option, it will select DTS:Neo again the next time you encounter 2 channel stereo

But if you do want to set the default listening modes, so that you can switch around etc with the remote, but not have those changes "remebered" 9so next time, it will just go to the default you specified, rather than whatever you were last on when receiving this signal type before), then that is fine too.

Yes the Dolby D for DD 5.1, DTS for DTS etc is what you want in that case. In these instances, the signal is an encoded Dolby/DTS spec, and thus there is a dedicated listening mode for decoding/playing that codec. The other ones you listed are the rarer/non encoded formats, so there is no mathcing mode for them. Really it is up to personal taste - there is no right or wrong answer for any of this! For example, i like the Analog/PCM (eg from my xbox original, or cable box on non DD moveis) to be in ALL CH STEREO... but others might like to use Dolby PLII Movie etc. If you have a 7.1 setup you will often use the PLIIx modes, to generate the rear surround info for you. Use MULTICH litening mode for MultiCh PCM (eg from BluRay players that do internal decoding), the other ones like Mono and 192k, you are probably unlilkely to encounter anyway, so perhaps just leave them on Last Valid

The best way to handle this stuff is to use the DISPLAY button to identify what you are actually receiving (eg see what your cable box sends on normal channels, vs movie channels etc)... and sus out how you like to listen to that signal. Then go and set your defaults.
post #4279 of 8896 Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 AM

I've had the 705 since August,I have my fronts set at full band which I assume means large.What I'm getting at is there doesn't seem to be a way to specifically set the speaker size in the speaker configuration menu,only the HZ value.

My previous Onk had specific settings for large or small...am I missing something?
It's not really a complaint,this thing sounds great at my settings anyhow...just curious.

Tom

JUPITER and beyond the INFINITE...
post #4280 of 8896 Old 03-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommacux View Post

I've had the 705 since August,I have my fronts set at full band which I assume means large.What I'm getting at is there doesn't seem to be a way to specifically set the speaker size in the speaker configuration menu,only the HZ value.

My previous Onk had specific settings for large or small...am I missing something?
It's not really a complaint,this thing sounds great at my settings anyhow...just curious.

Tom

"small" is anything other than Full Band

What speakers do you have? You can look up their specs and find their lowest frequency response, then set the crossover a bit above that

Or just try 80Hz and see how you like it
post #4281 of 8896 Old 03-26-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglerxt View Post

I dont use OSD but I know you **can** turn it on when using HDMI out
I had it on for a while and then turned it off after I didnt like it
Go into the menus and look for OSD on toggle

Sorry.... I don't think you are correct. There is no OSD via HDMI.

Yes I have OSD turned on. It works fine via Component.
post #4282 of 8896 Old 03-26-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:

For some unknown reason the 705 comes with HDMI Monitor disabled. Go to Setup, Input/Output Assign, Monitor Out, HDMI Monitor and set it to YES.

Already have HDMI Monitor out set to YES. Otherwise I'd have no picture on the projector along with no OSD via HDMI.

Initial setup is a PITA because of HDMI turned off. You would think since the big draw with these new Onkyo receivers is the digital path, hi-def sound decoders and hdmi connections that there's a chance people will be using hdmi monitors. Perhaps it's just me.

I really want OSD and I'm going to do some tests with Component out vs. HDMI out. I may switch to Component just for this feature.

My projector is 720p native so if I set my sources to 720p I can avoid down rez in the receiver. It seems a little odd though to have hdmi in from DVD and Sat box converted to component just for OSD. Also worried what it will do to colors etc.

Anyone tried this?
post #4283 of 8896 Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grider View Post

Sorry.... I don't think you are correct. There is no OSD via HDMI.

Yes I have OSD turned on. It works fine via Component.

I have the OSD over HDMI. You have a setting wrong.
post #4284 of 8896 Old 03-26-2008, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have been into A/V for some time now, I have an Onkyo and Yamaha receiver and they have treated me well. Neither support HDMI or HD Dolby/DTS. I was wondering if I should wait for the new Pioneer 1018 or just get the Onkyo 705? I am in Iraq and I have time to wait for the Pioneer but there is a good sale going on for the Onkyo at a few different dealers ($570 delivered) and I figure I could squeak a few more bucks by telling them that I will buy from them if they can beat the price of their competitors. What do all or any of you think, thanks??
post #4285 of 8896 Old 03-26-2008, 08:06 AM

I emailed Audyssey about my volume issue and received this prompt and detailed response from the Founder and Chief Technical Officer :

This is not an Audyssey issue. It happens for the following reason: every receiver has a maximum amount of gain in the amplifiers and it can not produce more than that. When Audyssey is finished with calibration it creates room correction filters, but it also sets the level trims for each channel. That means that with the trims at the values set and the master volume at "0" you can achieve reference playback level. That is the level at which the movie was mixed in the studio. It corresponds to a measured level of 75 dB (C- slow) with an SPL meter when you play the internal test noise from the receiver. That noise is 30 dB down from max, which means that if you are at "0" on the volume control you are hitting a maximum of 75+30=105 dB SPL.

The level trims, are in effect a boost in the volume control. I suspect that they are set to positive values. So the combination of the trims and the volume control is maximum and you can't get more power out of the amplifier. For most people this is never a problem as it is louder than they can listen to. If your room has too much absorption then it can be a problem because it's difficult to play as loud.

You can test this theory by turning down the volume trim levels in the setup menu by a fixed amount and then you should be able to turn the master volume up by the same amount. The max volume that you hear, however, will not change. To change that you will have to get much more powerful amplifiers.

I hope this helps explain it.

Regards,
Chris

Kudos to Audyssey for their excellent support.
post #4286 of 8896 Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaccool View Post

I have been into A/V for some time now, I have an Onkyo and Yamaha receiver and they have treated me well. Neither support HDMI or HD Dolby/DTS. I was wondering if I should wait for the new Pioneer 1018 or just get the Onkyo 705? I am in Iraq and I have time to wait for the Pioneer but there is a good sale going on for the Onkyo at a few different dealers ($570 delivered) and I figure I could squeak a few more bucks by telling them that I will buy from them if they can beat the price of their competitors. What do all or any of you think, thanks??

Re: 705 - IMO wait until you're closer to being home. The price will probably be lower by the time you're ready to use it. The 706 might be closer to retail at that time causing the 705 to be reduced in price. I don't know the Pio so I can't offer an comparison opinion. Good luck over there.
post #4287 of 8896 Old 03-26-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Quote:

I have the OSD over HDMI. You have a setting wrong.

You definitely cannot get OSD over HDMI - the manual tells you you can't and you can't. What you can get of course is the menus for the setup of the Onkyo. But there is no way you can, for example, see the volume display on the screen when you hit volume up or down, if you are connected via HDMI. Tha manual explains this in some detail IIRC and explains that they did it this way to preserve the 'straight through' ability of the HDMI on visuals.

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4288 of 8896 Old 03-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

I think you guys are meaing different things by OSD.

You CAN get the setup screens on HDMI (with HDMI Monitor set to ON).

You cannot get the "Immediate Display" OSD (which shows the volume/input channel as an overlay display) on HDMI, as the signals are straight pass through. You also cannot get this on component in to component out. Only signals which go through the upconversion (eg Component in to HDMI out) can get the Immediate Display

But honestly, it looks like crap anyway - very basic/ugly - like a VCR onscreen display!

And to the person before who mentioned inputting sources via HDMI and outputting via component - you cant do this either. No receiver on the market supports "broadcasting" a digital/protected HDMI signal over an unprotected output like Component
post #4289 of 8896 Old 03-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Hmm lucky as I have to get to at least 50 for regular TV viewing for a decent sound and about 60-70 when watching DVDs/BRs for full theater sound experience
I have mine auto turn on at 45 for protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy555 View Post

post #4290 of 8896 Old 03-26-2008, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 View Post

Hey woots i noticed that the Duyal Format LG BH200 HD-DVD/BD player seems to have recently got a firmware update and can now bitstream TrueHD, DTS-HDMA etc, might want to add it to the list in the FAQ.

Also i wonder if you put a comment in the Pricing section saying it may not be totally up to date these days, as i know people in oz have been getting better prices than those i mentioned back when we put it in the FAQ...

I added that link for that player.

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

What is the current prices people are getting (cheapest prices)

Please give me a breakdown so I can update the FAQ.

USA - cheapest prices (location where... and if it was a sale)
Canada - cheapest prices (location where... and if it was a sale)
Australia - cheapest prices (location where... and if it was a sale)
and anywhere else... around the world.. I will update the prices.

Thx in advance.

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr705 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page