Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2008, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

I must apologize if I have been leaving the impression that DD PLII does the 6 channel decoding. Typically the way DD PLII is packaged is with DD decoding. So at the risk of repeating my possibly garbled message. If you have DD PLII selected and the source is DD 5.1 the DD encoder does the job, no need for the PLII enhancement, the 6 channels are present.

The duality of its nature is why I feel DD PLII is truly set and forget.

okey dokey.... that makes sense.

I'm on my way to try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I must apologize if I have been leaving the impression that DD PLII does the 6 channel decoding. Typically the way DD PLII is packaged is with DD decoding. So at the risk of repeating my possibly garbled message. If you have DD PLII selected and the source is DD 5.1 the DD encoder does the job, no need for the PLII enhancement, the 6 channels are present.

The duality of its nature is why I feel DD PLII is truly set and forget.

You can't select PLII for DD 5.1. On menu 5, Listening Mode Presets, you can't select PLII as the default for Dolby Digital because it doesn't make sense. There's a separate signal type on the preset screen, D.F. 2ch. That's the one that's used for DD 2.0, and that's where you select PLII as a default.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

mrgribbles since you have a 7.1 setup you might not be aware that for those of us with 5.1 setup, you CANNOT choose PLII (non x) modes when receiving a DD5.1 signal. So whether PLII is an "extension" of regular dolby decoding doesnt really matter in this context, since onkyo's implementation does not allow it to be selected on an already 5.1 signal. Turn off your back surrounds and try it out for yourself

Also regarding listening mode presets, you will also notice there is not separate sections for DD 5.1, and DD2.0 - there is just a Dolby Digital section (and this appears to assume a 5.1 input, since you cant choose PLII Movie/Music mode for the preset). As such, you can only set Dolby D as the preset for Dolby Digital... not sure how/where you can set the default listening mode for a Dolby 2.0 signal - however at the same time, my receiver seems to always go to PLII Movie mode when i do receive a DD2.0 signal - i suspect DD2.0 is always handled in a "Last Valid" arrangement, despite there not being an actual listening mode preset section for DD 2.0.

Now, adding my 2c to the Listening Mode Preset discussion, a poster earlier asked if they could not choose Dolby D mode for one of the inputs, because he "had already chosen it for Dolby Digital". It isnt a case of only being able to assign a certain listening mode to just one audio signal type or anything like that, it is actually that the onkyo is "smart" and will only provide certain listening modes for selection, depending on the input signal... Thus your options in the preset menu reflet this (ie yo ucan only pick a mode valid for that input type). In terms of listening modes on these onkyos, there are a bunch of listening modes that are available on all signals - these include Pure Audio, All Channel Stereo, Direct, Stereo, Mono etc plus the "built in" onkyo ones like Theatre Dimensional, TV Logic, Orchestra and so on (dont bother using these last ones like TV Logic etc... Pure Audio and Al lCh Stereo are useful though). Then there are the proper "decoder" type listening modes, which will depend on what the signal being received is... And you usually get a THX version of somethignas well, since the 705 has THX certification. For example if you are receving a 2 channel signal (eg 2 channel PCM or D.F Stereo (ie red+white analog RCA input)) you have all the "expand to 5.1" modes like the Dolby PLII Movie/Music/Game, the Neo:6 and Neural THX stuff, plus the THX versions of PLII etc and THX cinema. But if receiving a DD 5.1 signal, you can only choose Dolby D or THX Cinema, in addition to the always available listening modes listed earlier. When receiving a DTS signal - you can only choose DTS and THX Cinema, plus the always available ones mentioned earlier. With Multi Channel PCM (ie more than 2 channels of PCM over HDMI from a BluRay player or PS3 etc that does the decoding itself and sends PCM) the only real choice is MultiCh, plus THX Cinema and the always selectable ones mentioend earlier. DTS-ES has the "proper" DTS_ES one, plus the regular ones and probably a THX Cinema... DD EX same deal... Dolby TrueHD has "TrueHD" mode, plus the regular ones... DTS-HD has DTS HD MSTR plus the regular ones and so on. Im sure by now people are getting the picture If you start from Last Valid and scroll to the right, i find you get Pure Audio then stereo and mono, and then you hit the "whatever is appropriate for this signal" selections, like the Dolby D, DTS, MultiCh and whatever else.

Note that all of this refers to when you have a 5.1 system. If you have 7.1, the PLIIx modes are available for most input signals, since they are usually 5.1, meaning the "expand to 7.1" options are available to you (just as the "expand to 5.1" options are available to you if you have a 5.1 system and are receiving a less than 5.1 signal. Hoepfully that gives some insight into how the listening modes work, for some of the newer owners
Old 04-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

You can't select PLII for DD 5.1. On menu 5, Listening Mode Presets, you can't select PLII as the default for Dolby Digital because it doesn't make sense. There's a separate signal type on the preset screen, D.F. 2ch. That's the one that's used for DD 2.0, and that's where you select PLII as a default.

Ah, so my previous post (started typing before your reply obviuosly kplex), wa wrong. I thought D.F 2 Ch was the analog inputs... but it is actually Dolby 2.0 is it? Ah well that explains my confusion over why i thought there was no way to set the default for DD2.0 yet mine still seems to go to PLII Movie for DD 2.0. So what does D.F stand for anyway? I had "direct feed" in my mind but im sure its something else
Old 04-05-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 View Post

Ah, so my previous post (started typing before your reply obviuosly kplex), wa wrong. I thought D.F 2 Ch was the analog inputs... but it is actually Dolby 2.0 is it? Ah well that explains my confusion over why i thought there was no way to set the default for DD2.0 yet mine still seems to go to PLII Movie for DD 2.0. So what does D.F stand for anyway? I had "direct feed" in my mind but im sure its something else

DF = "Digital Format" (I think)

Analog/PCM has its own setting.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the 5.1 primer folks. I did forget that the DD PLII wasn't an option for DD in presets. I do hope our new friend Airgumby hasn't bruised his thumbs trying to find something that isn't there. Sorry Bud.

The original, back quite a few posts, question was the frequently asked "whats good for a 5.1 source." I responded with DD PLII because I think of DD PLII & IIx as a package of goodies that selects the appropriate decoder. As usual, youse guys are right and in this Onk implementation it is a bit divorced. I have been in 7.1 long enough where DD PLIIx is more integrated.

So carrying this a bit further for my benefit. A 5.1 system user may experience more of a source delay than a 7.1 system when changing 2.0 to 5.1, etc? If so, is there merit for a 5.1 user to cheat and tell the system they have a 7.1 system and only use the surrounds? Since I'm led to believe the rear channels are derived and not subtracted from the surrounds there should be no loss?

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid71 View Post

Larry,
No problem with the info, as a fellow 705 owner, that's what we do for each other.

Question #1
This is from memory, so don't go by it, check out the FAQ on EXACTLY how to do it but.... {on the receiver's front panel, not the remote}
Press & Hold "Display", while still pressing push "Standby". Now push "Tone". The numbers go away quickly, so it will take a bit of time to get them written down. I suggest checking out the FAQ. As I grow older my memory fails a bit.

Question #2
Don't waste your time, they won't be there. Again, from memory here, but I believe the latest "Main Firmware" number is 1.05. I'm running 1.04 without issue (except DTS-HD-MA) bomb. DSP version updates are available. The DSP updates have been released in countries other than US. Now, the DSP updates are universal, those can be applied to your 705.

PM joerod with your email address and he will email you the DSP updates. He also has a dedicated thread about this. At this late hour I'm too lazy to link it for you (sorry). It's in the amps/receivers section.

I plan on updating the DSP versions tomorrow.
Keeping my ear to the ground about the main firmware. mrgribbles absolutely loves this stuff, so if it's out there to be had, he'll get it and try it out on his 705. Damn pioneer if you ask me.

Please feel free to ask questions. My brain is dead and must get sleep.

Take care Larry,
Skid

ps I can't agree more with mrgribbles on the helpfulness, or lack thereof from Onkyo, not to mention OnkyoUS. My thinking is that we have what we've got, and it's up to us to make it better if possible. If I get something from them then I'll be pleasantly delighted. Lowered expectations..... I know. If the dang thing didn't sound so good I would consider not purchasing Onk stuff anymore.

Skid,
Thank you for taking the time to explain... your information was indeed helpful.
Best Regards,
Larry
Old 04-05-2008, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 275
hey kplex remember when i said the boom in my sub is gone?........yea well for some reson when waching a movie today and an explosion happend i got this long drawn out boom. so it looks like the boom is back, but how can that happen? like i told you before, when i ran the audyssey again it looked like this
front and center- 150hz
surrounds 120hz
sub--7 db
obviously the fronts are too high so i brought them down to 100hz. and i crossed my sub at 100hz. do you think buy changing the xover on the mains it messed up the audyssey's EQ? iv heard that by changing the xover that the audyssey sets it wont EQ anything? for example sinse it EQ my fronts at 150hz,so if i bring them below that number the audyssey wont be doing any EQ? is this true? i cant tell any differnce when changing them back and forth, except for some strang reson at 150hz ther's less boom than at 100hz......odd right?

home theater addict
Old 04-05-2008, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the 5.1 primer folks. I did forget that the DD PLII wasn't an option for DD in presets. I do hope our new friend Airgumby hasn't bruised his thumbs trying to find something that isn't there. Sorry Bud.

The original, back quite a few posts, question was the frequently asked "whats good for a 5.1 source." I responded with DD PLII because I think of DD PLII & IIx as a package of goodies that selects the appropriate decoder. As usual, youse guys are right and in this Onk implementation it is a bit divorced. I have been in 7.1 long enough where DD PLIIx is more integrated.

So carrying this a bit further for my benefit. A 5.1 system user may experience more of a source delay than a 7.1 system when changing 2.0 to 5.1, etc? If so, is there merit for a 5.1 user to cheat and tell the system they have a 7.1 system and only use the surrounds? Since I'm led to believe the rear channels are derived and not subtracted from the surrounds there should be no loss?

In my experience, delays in switching between signal types isn't affected by listening modes or speaker configuration. The biggest factor is what kind of sources you're using, with satellite receivers seeming to be the most problematic. Regardless of whether you assign PLII/x to 2 channel sources or not, the audio gets muted until the receiver identifies the new signal type.

There are two advantages to presetting the listening modes. One is that sources automatically get matrixed to take advantage of all your speakers. The other is that Onkyo's switch off unused amplifiers, so you get the loud relay clicks when switching between 2 channel and multichannel modes if you don't matrix 2 channel sources.

Also, I believe PLIIx Movie does change what comes out of the surrounds, although maybe PLIIx Music doesn't.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

hey kplex remember when i said the boom in my sub is gone?........yea well for some reson when waching a movie today and an explosion happend i got this long drawn out boom. so it looks like the boom is back, but how can that happen? like i told you before, when i ran the audyssey again it looked like this
front and center- 150hz
surrounds 120hz
sub--7 db
obviously the fronts are too high so i brought them down to 100hz. and i crossed my sub at 100hz. do you think buy changing the xover on the mains it messed up the audyssey's EQ? iv heard that by changing the xover that the audyssey sets it wont EQ anything? for example sinse it EQ my fronts at 150hz,so if i bring them below that number the audyssey wont be doing any EQ? is this true? i cant tell any differnce when changing them back and forth, except for some strang reson at 150hz ther's less boom than at 100hz......odd right?

The technical guru from Audyssey has said it's okay to change the crossovers after running Audyssey. In fact, he recommends it when speakers that can't go down to at least 40Hz get set to Full Band.

If increasing the crossover to 150Hz fixed the problem, then it sounds like the boom was coming from your main speakers. By redirecting more of the mid bass to the subwoofer, you fixed the problem. You might want to experiment with the placement of your front speakers if possible, maybe moving them a little farther away from the corners of the room or the back wall. If your speakers came with spikes, make sure you're using them. If they're bookshelf speakers, upgrading your stands might help.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:

mrgribbles since you have a 7.1 setup you might not be aware that for those of us with 5.1 setup, you CANNOT choose PLII (non x) modes when receiving a DD5.1 signal. So whether PLII is an "extension" of regular dolby decoding doesnt really matter in this context, since onkyo's implementation does not allow it to be selected on an already 5.1 signal. Turn off your back surrounds and try it out for yourself

Aha.... I see you guys are way ahead of me. I just finished testing and was feeling vindicated since I was not able to get PLII selected for DD 5.1

Too bad though.... it would have been convenient.

The good news is I know way more about listening modes than I did this morning!!
Old 04-05-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The boom is not compleatly gone at 150hz, its just less of it. wich is weird because i though the higher you set your xover the more localiezed you sub becomes. its still kida boomy at 150hz, its just that at 100hz thats when ther's alot more boom.

home theater addict
Old 04-05-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I put an area rug under my sub, but that doesint do anything.

home theater addict
Old 04-05-2008, 12:21 PM

Does anyone use the Intellivolume setting on the 705 to boost DVD volume from 0db up? Normally, I must listen to my DD5.1 DVDs anywhere between -15 to -10 db, will increasing Intellivolume help? For those that have done this, to what level did you go?

Best Regards,
Larry
Old 04-05-2008, 01:31 PM

Reading the latest posts does help a lot. :-) Mr.Gibbles and the likes around here are god sends. Your help is very appreciated!

Just a small question. Is the "surround sound" settings on the top right of the display? Then the "detected" surround/audio track is on the left top? Ala the red icon of the (dolby sign)D? Because when I turn to an HD channel the PLII dissappears and the red icon of the (dolby sign)D shows up instead?

On a side note, I'm running those Polk FXi A4 surrounds and on the back it lists (right) and (left). Well when I put the right on the left side of the room and the right on the left side of the room I got better surround ambiance. I have the 5 1/4" woofer facing into the back room and this provided a HUGE difference in ambiance. Especially when I watched the CSI: New York this wednesday. Funny how things work.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryis1 View Post

Does anyone use the Intellivolume setting on the 705 to boost DVD volume from 0db up? Normally, I must listen to my DD5.1 DVDs anywhere between -15 to -10 db, will increasing Intellivolume help? For those that have done this, to what level did you go?

Best Regards,
Larry

You're sort of in my book with regards to the volume setting being so high. When I'm listing to DolbyD television channels (HD) I have to increase my volume to like -20 to -22db to get good strong sound. When I'm on normal channels (non-HD) My volume setting is like at -30 to -34db (volume display). All my audyssey settings for my speakers are at 0db when it was detected. :-\\
Old 04-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgumby View Post

You're sort of in my book with regards to the volume setting being so high. When I'm listing to DolbyD television channels (HD) I have to increase my volume to like -20 to -22db to get good strong sound. When I'm on normal channels (non-HD) My volume setting is like at -30 to -34db (volume display). All my audyssey settings for my speakers are at 0db when it was detected. :-\\

I think the Intellivolume settings are totally different than the speaker settings which are set by Audyssey. Audyssey, I believe, does not set Intellivolume.

Of course, I will defer to other more knowledgeable Forum members.

Best Regards,
Larry
Old 04-05-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgumby View Post

Reading the latest posts does help a lot. :-) Mr.Gibbles and the likes around here are god sends. Your help is very appreciated!

Just a small question. Is the "surround sound" settings on the top right of the display? Then the "detected" surround/audio track is on the left top? Ala the red icon of the (dolby sign)D? Because when I turn to an HD channel the PLII dissappears and the red icon of the (dolby sign)D shows up instead?

On a side note, I'm running those Polk FXi A4 surrounds and on the back it lists (right) and (left). Well when I put the right on the left side of the room and the right on the left side of the room I got better surround ambiance. I have the 5 1/4" woofer facing into the back room and this provided a HUGE difference in ambiance. Especially when I watched the CSI: New York this wednesday. Funny how things work.

So do they sit in front of the listening position is that why it might sound better?

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
Old 04-05-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

So when I set the Lip Sync to Enable under the HDMI hardware menu, then went back to the A/V sync menu (4-2), I was expecting to see the HDMI Lip Sync assigned value. I didn't. I guess my Panasonic 58pz700 doesn't support it?Surprising. Comments please.

Ehh, is it possible this feature ONLY works for the DVD input? I originally was in the Cable TV input when I first tried it.

Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
Old 04-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Another Successful Onk Update

Updated DSP versions to current release.

Effected unit:
Onkyo 705

Player used:
Panny BD30

Changed absolutely nothing on the BD30.
Settings were/are
All audio set to bitstream
Secondary audio off
HDMI running both audio and video

Assigned "Opt1" to "CD" input on the 705
Played an audio CD prior to the FW disc. Used the "Display" button on the Onk to make sure the signal was PCM/44.1.
*Not sure if the above was necessary since my first attempt was successful.

Burned audio CD using Nero
Windows XP (MCE)
12x
Verified data after burn

As posted by several other members, my 705 never said "complete". It stayed with "Update S/PDIF". Did not see "Clear" until I waited 15 minutes to turn it off, then back on again. After turning it back on the display did say "Clear".

The biggest PITA was taking the optical cable out of the 360, plugging it into the BD30. My rack is set for "set it and forget it", not, let's f'n tinker with it until I'm ready to throw crap through the sliding glass door.

Time-wise it was re-running Audyssey, renaming inputs, etc.

The only DTS-HD-MA "bomb" disc I currently have is Flight of the Phoenix. Ran it up to 51:26. No bomb. Me happy.

My g/f, describing this pain-staking process to her mother on the phone...

"Skid was playing with his speakers this afternoon"

Nice honey.

Hopefully this will help someone.
Take care all,
Skid

BOTJ Member... Onk 705 FW 1.06
Old 04-05-2008, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Way to go. I was saying prayers to St. FUBAR to be kind to you today.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Way to go. I was saying prayers to St. FUBAR to be kind to you today.

Now that is funny stuff!

Thanks for the help. Give a holler when you get your hands on that main firmware!

ROCK-CHALK!

Skid

BOTJ Member... Onk 705 FW 1.06
Old 04-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Can someone explain the intellivolume feature a little more
I never quite understood it and its application/reason to use it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabre View Post

I have mine between -45 to -35.... depends on the film

For Directv, I have the intel volume +5 to preserve my above volume settings

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
Old 04-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglerxt View Post

Can someone explain the intellivolume feature a little more
I never quite understood it and its application/reason to use it

Intellivolume is the ability to set a volume offset (increase or decrease) for each source. So for example if your cable box volume output just seems t o be way low compared to your DVD and BluRay players, so you have to constantly adjust volume when switching between them, then you could set the intellivolume for the cable input to give a boost (say 5 or 10 dB). The aim is so that things are relatively consistent between your variuos sources. Note that if you increase a source via intellivolme, this limits the max volume for that source... what i mean by this is that +18 is the normal max volume (not that anyone will ever use that!) and if you have set +10 intellivolume for that source, then the dial will now only go as high as +8
Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

So do they sit in front of the listening position is that why it might sound better?

Actually they are mounted about 7ft off the ground and about 3 ft behind me and 5" from the ceiling? That it was maybe drowning out due to the bookshelf speakers being ear level? All I know is when I was playing around with it, I decided to try and switch them from left to right so the 5 1/4" woofer would face behind the listening position instead of firing toward the listening position. For some reason having it not face it, it produced a more realistic surround sound. I'm loving it know! Watching CSI: New York last wednesday was night and day with the surround effects especially the shooting in the last scene.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Intellivolume is the ability to set a volume offset (increase or decrease) for each source. So for example if your cable box volume output just seems t o be way low compared to your DVD and BluRay players, so you have to constantly adjust volume when switching between them, then you could set the intellivolume for the cable input to give a boost (say 5 or 10 dB). The aim is so that things are relatively consistent between your variuos sources. Note that if you increase a source via intellivolme, this limits the max volume for that source... what i mean by this is that +18 is the normal max volume (not that anyone will ever use that!) and if you have set +10 intellivolume for that source, then the dial will now only go as high as +8

Excellent explanation, I was actually looking for a better understanding when I posted earlier yesterday on this topic. Your response hit the mark.
Thanks,
Larry
Old 04-06-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I just been noticing that the light on my remote which used to stay on for a few moments when I pressed the light button (side of the remote), now turns off immediately after I let go of the button. It didn't used to do this. It actually alternates between staying on for a few, and going off immediately. Anyone else have this happen? Is there a fix to it?

Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
Old 04-06-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

I just been noticing that the light on my remote which used to stay on for a few moments when I pressed the light button (side of the remote), now turns off immediately after I let go of the button. It didn't used to do this. It actually alternates between staying on for a few, and going off immediately. Anyone else have this happen? Is there a fix to it?

Sounds like time to change the batteries to me.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I dugg out the original firmware post from the depth of the TX-NR905 thread, for not having people search for it, as several people asked me for.
It has all firmware updates including the 9.8/8.8/885/605/705/805/875/905.

It's now a thread on it's own.
Look HERE

Note: It's the original post, joerod got his files from, so those files are "safe"
Old 04-06-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpumd View Post

Great. I've had my 705 for about 4 days and I think it's broke. It shut off while watching tv tonight. It had been running maybe an hour. It was not overly hot. I tried to power it up again and shut right off about two seconds later. I followed the Onkyo instructions and have unplugged it along with all inputs. I'm waiting an hour as called for in the instruction manual but I don't have much hope.

BTW this was a refurb purchased from shoponkyo.com. I'm well within the 30 day return period so I can get it a new "refurb" I guess, but that's a pain in the but having to send it away.

I searched this thread and didn't see anyone else with this exact problem. Any suggestions?

Just giving an update here.

The 705 must have reset itself because it will turn on and stay on now. The "tech person" at Onkyo told me to disconnect all inputs and outputs from the 705 and to run it at full volume for an hour to see if it will stay on. If it stays on, there's a problem with my speaker wires overloading the unit.

After several trys, the 705 only stayed on for about 20 minutes before shutting off. This happens every time.

Oh well. I guess now I send it back to Onkyo. I'm still within the 30 day return policy so I wonder if they'll just ship me a new (reconditioned) unit or if they're going to try to repair the original 705 and then send it. Obviously I'd prefer the former.

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr705 by PriceGrabber.com