The Official Onkyo TX-SR705 Thread (FAQ in 1st Post) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to know if Woots has the hum. I know I sent a PM to Mr. Gribbles and he said he had it to a small extent. I know the 805 is not for everyone and indeed I had to modify my cabinet to have it fit nicely but it is silent. I have cranked the volume and then paused everything - movies, live tv, etc. and there is just no hum or hiss or anything.

Thanks again to Woots for all his hard work. I have continued to visit despiter my move to the 805 because I am concerned about how widespread the hum issue really is. It absolutely takes away from the sound quality because even though at loud volumes you do not hear it, when a scene goes quiet (like in Spiderman 2 when he stops the car in midair to save some people on the street) the 805 is silent while the 705 is noisy.

RN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 06:49 AM

ok, first thing first thanks for the effort, lots of useful info in this thread

there's just one thing I still am unsure about:

I do know the 705 can matrix a 5.1 pcm into 6.1/7.1

would it possible, as well, with DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD?
for example if I output (from my Tosh-A35, with HDMI 1.3) a 5.1 DTS-MA signal (in raw BitStream), will the 705 matrix it into a DTS-MA 6.1/7.1 signal??

thanks
post #33 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanarao123 View Post

I bought 705 4 weeks ago. I am happy with the unit but the hissing from my receiver remains a concern. At low volumes everything seems to be very fine. I played all the versions of LOTR (Lord of the rings),Gladiator, Matix and Transformers. They sounded good at low volumes. However, once I go beyond -30DB volume I could notice the hissing sound. From there on, hissing increases with the increase in volume. The speaker wires are away from electrical wires or equippment. I am thiking either my perticular unit is faulty are I haven't configured something correctly. Any suggestions/recommendations will be appreciated.

First try removing all connections and speaker wires, and then reseating them. Do you experience hissing only with the DVD player or do you have hiss with your cable hookup also? If it is only the DVD player try another player to see if the hiss goes away, you may also want try another cable(s) from the DVD to the AVR. Also disconnect the digital TV cable hookup as this could be bringing in interference into the loop. If all that fails to fix the problem it could be a grounding issue. The hiss problem could be the Onkyo but I think its more likely something else in your setup.
post #34 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Scarecrow, thank you so much for your detailed response to my 3 questions! They were very helpful. I'll pass them along to my friend.
post #35 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm357 View Post

So does everyone with a 705 feel they have this hum issue? I cant see how they could if so many are very happy with there receiver.

I don't have any issues with hum at all.
post #36 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

First try removing all connections and speaker wires, and then reseating them. Do you experience hissing only with the DVD player or do you have hiss with your cable hookup also? If it is only the DVD player try another player to see if the hiss goes away, you may also want try another cable(s) from the DVD to the AVR. Also disconnect the digital TV cable hookup as this could be bringing in interference into the loop. If all that fails to fix the problem it could be a grounding issue. The hiss problem could be the Onkyo but I think its more likely something else in your setup.

Although I cannot speak for narayanarao I can say in full confidence that the hum issue that I have with my 705 has nothing to do with outside devices or connections (unless the POWER line itself is an issue, but "Pure Audio" mode is totally silent so that would rule out my power line). I have done very extensive tests with and without ANY external devices connected. I had also moved the 705 away from my rack and plugged into a completely separate electrical CIRCUIT (not just a different outlet), no speaker wires were near any other cables or any power supplies.
Still had the issue. As a last-ditch effort I'm gonna try swapping it out for a new 705 this Sunday, my 30-days runs out at Circuit City on Monday.
post #37 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelian99 View Post

ok, first thing first thanks for the effort, lots of useful info in this thread

there's just one thing I still am unsure about:

I do know the 705 can matrix a 5.1 pcm into 6.1/7.1

would it possible, as well, with DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD?
for example if I output (from my Tosh-A35, with HDMI 1.3) a 5.1 DTS-MA signal (in raw BitStream), will the 705 matrix it into a DTS-MA 6.1/7.1 signal??

thanks

Yes it does matrix TrueHD and DTSHDMA 5.1 to 7.1!! CHeck the manual (online), go to the charts around pg 60 or so and you'll see all the modes that can be applied to each input signal. The 605 can't do this to PCM or TRUEHD or DTSHDMA.

Blue Discs: 28....Next purchase...The Rock
Red Discs: 7....Next purchase...Is there a need to?
PS3 Games: 4....Next purchase...GT5
Just a bluish shade of purple....Neutrality is calming!
post #38 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 View Post

Reposting vicw's question from the old thread

Can you not attach your SennHeiser headphones to another audio output of the 705? Obviuosly using the headphone output would mute the rest of the speakers, but the 705 has an optical audio output, as well as the regular analogue (red+white RCA) outputs, and i guess even the line level multi channel pre-outs (You could just use left+right). Couldyou use a stereo RCA to headphone jack converter, and run the headphones directly from the 705?

Thanks for your feedback and suggestinos. The Sennheiser includes a wireless RF Transmitter connected to an audiio source via RCA commectors, and a small pocket-sized Receiver. The earbud or headphone jack plugs into the small receiver. It's extremely helpful used with earbuds to add just enough high frequency boost to assure easy comprehension of dialogue, especially in movies competing with high background noise, or when the characters are whispering.

The real problem is the lip sync issue. I have tried using the 722, or amp audio outputs which will work, but that analog audio is undelayed, and it is out of sync with the speaker outputs, which have been delayed about 40 msec to match the 1080p processing delay in the TV. Piror to buying the Onkyo, I had the 722 drectly fed to the TV, and I was able to attach the Sennheiser to the TV Audio Output, which has the 40 msec delay by the TV.

If I could get the Onkyo to simutaneously output audio on the HDMI output, and on the speaker amps, all would be fine, but it doesn't look like there is any option available that will do that. I can understand why Onkyo chose to make it an either/or choice, and I recognize that my requirement is very unusual, so I dont' think that setup is likely to change.

I also tried using the HDMI/DVI input on the Samsung DLP, along with analog audio inputs, but the TV insists on using the HDMI cable for the audio input, rather than the analog inputs, so that approach failed. I think I'm back to the choice of going directly from the 722 and my DVD to the DLP, and running digital audio cables to the Onkyo, assuming I don't run into any more surprises, such as discovering that the 722 won't let me run audio via a digital cable when also using HDMI output. I sure hope that won't be the case, but I wouldn't be totally surprised. After looking forward to the convenience of a single cable HDMI solution, I'm beginning to believe that its primary reason for existence is to limit choices.

VicW
post #39 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

Nor do I. Completely silent.
post #40 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 08:48 AM

Canuck heads up!
Some better Canadian pricing on the 705 can currently found at http://www.electronicsforless.ca/

I took this add into Visions last night and after an hour of "debate" they honored the price minus the 5% but plus shipping costs. Not quite as good as the US pricing considering the CAN $ but with a full warranty from a local supplier isn't too bad.

I think Visions got off easy because I didn't have room for the 805...
post #41 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrage000 View Post

Yes it does matrix TrueHD and DTSHDMA 5.1 to 7.1!! CHeck the manual (online), go to the charts around pg 60 or so and you'll see all the modes that can be applied to each input signal. The 605 can't do this to PCM or TRUEHD or DTSHDMA.

thanks!!
I did download the manual, but found the charts a bit confusing
This is the page in question
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9859/705hg2.jpg

It seems the matrix can only be done by either PLIIx or the various THX's, but that way the signal won't be dts-ma anymore, I guess?

also what does "except*/2" mean?
post #42 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:

What do you mean by "locked to that input" ? Dont most people apply Movie PLII/x to the audio when watching BDs on PS3?

When i change sources, i get a slight delay while the audio signal is renegotiated, but in terms of changing channels on my cable box, i dont thinki get this delay (or certainly not as much of a delay as when i switch from DVD to CABLE/SAT)... And i certainly dont get any kind of dropouts while in the middle of watching something. When you say it drops out for no apparent reason... i assume that means it doesnt coincide with commercials (which may be coming through in a different stereo or 2.1 format)? You probably know this, but you can use the DISPLAY button to have the onkyo identify what audio format it is receiving... if you can check this before/after the dropouts to see if it has changed at all, that would be useful info

These niggles that some people have and others dont makes me wonder whether it isnt so much the 705 that is the problem here, but how it interacts with other devices... depending on the model of your cable box, and TV, perhaps the HDMI handshake chain is flaky and causes these dropouts. I dont know how we could really go about ascertaining it, but i wonder whether older model cable boxes and tvs are having more of these type of problems, because their HDMI stuff isnt as up to date or forgiving as newer devices.

I think i read inthe 905 firmware update thread, that they fixed some HDMI handshaking issues, so i suppose that could be taken to mean that there are at least some things the onkyo gets involved in, which a future firmware update may be able to make more lenient or forgiving

Thanks for your response. The ps3 is set to output PCM with the SR705 set with "Multichannel" as the default choice. I understood that one chooses Multichannel or TrueHD (as relevent)when outputting from a multistream PCM source such as the PS3 not Dolby PLII/x - I can see that such a setting might overcome the "click" problem (which does come from the receiver not from the speakers) but will this not affect the integrity of the stream from the PS3? Another point here is that I have a HD-A35 connected on one of the other HDMI ports - again set to multichannel with no problems at all. Wierd!

I think that the "click" sound may be more annoying when the receiver is set in the open rather than in a cabinet so a variance may be seen there.

With the dropouts - they do not coincide with ads - it happens periodically mid-program - the Dolby light goes out and the receiver shows the word "CBL" with a flashing "-" only - then when it kicks back in it lights up normally. It looks as though the SR705 is renegotiating the audio. It may just be a glitch in the stream - but shows how sensitive the SR705 is to changes. The odd thing is, however, that there is no interuption in the video when this happens. You may also be correct that various Cable boxes may be causing the issue with dropouts. I am using a Tivo HD (which is far better than the Verizon Fios DVR). I could understand there being an issue with HDMI handshaking - but I have tried taking HDMI out of the equation (component and optical to from the Tivo to Sr705) and the same issue exists. However, I would have thought that if there were a problem with the Tivo negotiating video/audio this would have shown up in the same way with my previous receiver.

On another point I have no hum issues at all.
post #43 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnesiac View Post

Although I cannot speak for narayanarao I can say in full confidence that the hum issue that I have with my 705 has nothing to do with outside devices or connections (unless the POWER line itself is an issue, but "Pure Audio" mode is totally silent so that would rule out my power line). I have done very extensive tests with and without ANY external devices connected. I had also moved the 705 away from my rack and plugged into a completely separate electrical CIRCUIT (not just a different outlet), no speaker wires were near any other cables or any power supplies.
Still had the issue. As a last-ditch effort I'm gonna try swapping it out for a new 705 this Sunday, my 30-days runs out at Circuit City on Monday.

I was commenting about his/her speaker hiss issue.
post #44 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:

I think everyone here will agree that the 705 video upscaling is not its main feature point, but it wasnt really supposed to be. It probably comes down to how heavily you will be using the video processing and upscaling abilities... this obviuosly only comes into play with older style component/composite/svideo input devices... obviously with regards to HDMI sources and your new HDDVD player, the HDMI signals are passed through untouched, and no upscaling is performed. Its also worth noting that very few devices pass all of those DVE video tests... even the latest 3rd gen toshiba HDDVD players cant have some problems with 1080i/60 or 3:2 pulldown or something like that (sorry check the HDDVD player forum for more details).

I thought upscaling occured with older DVDs?? I thought the 480i images would be upscaled to 720p? Maybe I am confusing upscaling and up-converting? This is what Toshiba says about the HD-A2:

Quote:

HDMI can support uncompressed digital video up to HDTV resolution. Thus the player makes use of this conduit by up-converting the standard DVD picture resolution of 720p or 1080i. This makes a DVD player with an HDMI connection the perfect match for today's digital televisions. And because this conversion is performed in the player, the signal remains free frome excessive digital to analog artifacts.

I interpreted this to mean that I could insert a SD DVD into the HD-A2 and it would up-convert it to 1080i and if connected with a HDMI cable to the TV it would display the image in 1080i. Further, I thought the receiver simply passed the 1080i signal through? Am I misunderstanding this?

What is the difference between the up-converting done in the DVD player vs. the upscaling done in the receiver? Are these two different things and don't have anything to do with each other?

I am assuming what whatever signal received via HDMI is passed through. The upscaling would be video coming in through S-Video, composite, or component? The receiver is doing what the DVD player does? Do they call it up-converting in the DVD side of things and upscaling in the receiver?

Most of my viewing will be DVDs but what happens if I use my VHS player? If I want to watch an older VHS tape which has composite output, what happens with the signal? Will the receiver upscale it to 720P or?? Likewise, what if I hook up an older Nintendo or something that outputs composite video? Same thing with S-Video.. I have some SVHS videos too.

Sorry for all the questions...I just got the HD-DVD player and have just recently been looking at a new receiver so both up-converting and upscaling are new to me and I am confused on what the difference is and what works and what doesn't?

Thanks,

Lew
post #45 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 10:48 AM

Looks like Crutchfield currently has this receiver for $649.99. Theoretically could have CC pricematch it, and with a 10% off coupon, could get the receiver for under $600.

Hope this helps someone out there!

post #46 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post

Canuck heads up!
Some better Canadian pricing on the 705 can currently found at http://www.electronicsforless.ca/

I took this add into Visions last night and after an hour of "debate" they honored the price minus the 5% but plus shipping costs. Not quite as good as the US pricing considering the CAN $ but with a full warranty from a local supplier isn't too bad.

I think Visions got off easy because I didn't have room for the 805...

Which Visions (im in edmonton too) bought mine at the one just of Calgary trail, but got it as a large deal with a full set up for 5.1 aswell. May be able to price match my purchase still.

post #47 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just a heads up to all PS3 owners.

Firmware 2.0 came out today lots of little changes. http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/14/ru...etails-leaked/

STILL they didn't release that DTS HD MA. At least they finally figured out they need to allow users to access cross media bar during game play.

Don't want to drift far off topic, just giving a heads up. I know for some people here ps3 represents their main blu ray player and DTS HD MA decoding (internally) is still important to the HD experience

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #48 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks!!
I did download the manual, but found the charts a bit confusing
This is the page in question
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9859/705hg2.jpg

It seems the matrix can only be done by either PLIIx or the various THX's, but that way the signal won't be dts-ma anymore, I guess?

also what does "except*/2" mean?

I can't figure out "except*2" either, I think it means except when...refer to subnote 2 which talks about having a 7.1 setup. Its still DTSHDMA, it just creates the rear surrounds from some of the side surround data and if anything improves and doesn't diminish the audio experience. I don't have 7.1 yet so I haven't actually tried this but I'm getting them in the next few weeks to try out how it sounds. Pan's Labrynth comes in 7.1 DTSHDMA and that will have an individual channel in the mix for each of the 4 surround speaders!!

post #49 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenftr View Post

I would like to know if Woots has the hum. I know I sent a PM to Mr. Gribbles and he said he had it to a small extent. I know the 805 is not for everyone and indeed I had to modify my cabinet to have it fit nicely but it is silent. I have cranked the volume and then paused everything - movies, live tv, etc. and there is just no hum or hiss or anything.

Thanks again to Woots for all his hard work. I have continued to visit despiter my move to the 805 because I am concerned about how widespread the hum issue really is. It absolutely takes away from the sound quality because even though at loud volumes you do not hear it, when a scene goes quiet (like in Spiderman 2 when he stops the car in midair to save some people on the street) the 805 is silent while the 705 is noisy.

RN

I have NO hum even at extremely loud volumes. I have attempted to replicate the "hiss and hum" situation by going to a dead source signal and cranking volume up to 100%. From 90-100% I started to get a slight hiss but I NEVER run my speakers from 90-100% and even though I heard a hiss it was faint at 100%. ALL receivers hiss at max volume you amplifying all noise in the path. Every solder point, every time you plug in a wire to connect something all of this adds more resistance and is going to give you your hiss.

I also have ZERO hum even at 100% volume. I have long suspected that this hum on the sub may be a combination of incorrect sub settings coupled with Auyessey. However, since I do not have the problem I cant diagnose it. I would advise people who have it try to be as objective as possible and approach the problem like an engineer. Remove ALL possible problems from the equation and then slowly add back components 1 at a time. You can isolate the root of the issue like this.

Having to run the speakers at max volume usually indicates one of 3 things.
Your hearing is starting to fail (I'm joking, but serious at same time )
your speakers are being underpowered by this amplifier (time to look at an external amp or a bigger receiver)
Or your room is too big for either your 705 or current speaker size setup (or both).

For me the 705 is plenty loud I never go over 70-75%... At that level I cant carry on conversation with people in the room and the bass vibrates my chair)

There is one 4th reason to play volume loud. There are those who prefer to drown in super extreme volume levels (i used to build car stereo setups as a kid, I used to be like this, I stopped for the sake of my hearing) I can EASILY tell you now, those people the 705 inst the right choice of amplifier for you. You are going to want to get the biggest, cleanest amp you can barely afford and speakers to match (500-1000 watt range). If you want extreme volumes and clarity, your budget needs to be extreme too, 705 represents mid range bordering on audiophile class category, with focus on being affordable.

Having said that, I can get some insanely loud and clear volume levels even on this 705 setup. There is a difference though between extreme and this... when you can feel your rib cage and internal bodily juices start to vibrate in chest cavity.. then your starting to talk extreme SPL! (thats the difference I am speaking of here) For those of you who been around 120-150+ SPL speaker setups you will know exactly what I am talking about here. (I am not exaggerating) I wanted to preserve my hearing as I decay in my old age, so 705 is way loud and still keeps me totally in the zone of whatever I am watching (at 70-75% volume)

Simple answer is No i don't have a hiss or a hum. I love this amp and this setup for this current room.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #50 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:

I can't figure out "except*2" either, I think it means except when...refer to subnote 2 which talks about having a 7.1 setup. Its still DTSHDMA, it just creates the rear surrounds from some of the side surround data and if anything improves and doesn't diminish the audio experience. I don't have 7.1 yet so I haven't actually tried this but I'm getting them in the next few weeks to try out how it sounds. Pan's Labrynth comes in 7.1 DTSHDMA and that will have an individual channel in the mix for each of the 4 surround speaders!!

ok, cool
I'm looking forward to hear your impressions when you get your 7.1 discs.
It's not that the fact I'm going or not going to get a 705 depends merely on this but it seems nobody have been able to answer me anywhere on the www, LOL

Also I strongly suggest you to get Innocence (Japanese version)
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=489986
Every single review I've read so far seem to confirm it's probably the best blu-ray release so far (for the audio)
post #51 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

ok, cool
I'm looking forward to hear your impressions when you get your 7.1 discs.
It's not that the fact I'm going or not going to get a 705 depends merely on this but it seems nobody have been able to answer me anywhere on the www, LOL

Also I strongly suggest you to get Innocence (Japanese version)
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=489986
Every single review I've read so far seem to confirm it's probably the best blu-ray release so far (for the audio)

I have 7.1 surround and I get 7.1 surround from 5.1 True HD sources all the time. (I am sure it would work with DTS HD MA too just fine.) I use PLIIx Movie as my DSP mostly all the time. The reason I like PLIIx it fills my room with 7.1 and sounds great doing it. (Not artificial)

I got cars and ratatouille coming within the next couple days (or maybe today) Those both have 7.1 surround. I look forward to finally getting my hands on them. I have been waiting for a while for a big name studio to master in 7.1. I hope this is a trend of things to come.

Also, when you run 5.1 on this receiver many DSP's are not even selectable (you cant scroll through them). The 1st week I owned this receiver I was using 5.1. After I went to 7.1 it unlocked many new DSPs.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #52 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woots View Post

I have 7.1 surround and I get 7.1 surround from 5.1 True HD sources all the time. (I am sure it would work with DTS HD MA too just fine.) I use PLIIx Movie as my DSP mostly all the time. The reason I like PLIIx it fills my room with 7.1 and sounds great doing it. (Not artificial)

I got cars and ratatouille coming within the next couple days (or maybe today) Those both have 7.1 surround. I look forward to finally getting my hands on them. I have been waiting for a while for a big name studio to master in 7.1. I hope this is a trend of things to come.

Also, when you run 5.1 on this receiver many DSP's are not even selectable (you cant scroll through them). The 1st week I owned this receiver I was using 5.1. After I went to 7.1 it unlocked many new DSPs.

Hey woots, cars and ratatouille don't have 7.1, they have 5.1 PCM tracks. I bought and watched rat last night, friggen amazing reference quality video and audio, but not 7.1! Only 7.1 I've heard of is Pans Labyrinth this Dec.

post #53 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 PM

Woots - are you saying that when you output TrueHD / Multichannel material that you use PLII/x and not the TrueHD or Multichannel selection on the receiver? I understood (probably incorrectly) that TrueHD material was best output as TrueHD through the receiver rather than using a different DSP. Please enlighten me.
post #54 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Hey woots, cars and ratatouille don't have 7.1, they have 5.1 PCM tracks. I bought and watched rat last night, friggen amazing reference quality video and audio, but not 7.1! Only 7.1 I've heard of is Pans Labyrinth this Dec.

That is correct. Cars and Rat have 5.1 PCM. And yes according to HiDef Digest Pan's Labyrinth is supposed to have a 7.1 DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio track

As for the hum on the 705, I had the same problem until I got a Monster Powercenter. The moment I ran all my equipment through that the hum on my 705 went away immediately.
post #55 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapha View Post

Woots - are you saying that when you output TrueHD / Multichannel material that you use PLII/x and not the TrueHD or Multichannel selection on the receiver? I understood (probably incorrectly) that TrueHD material was best output as TrueHD through the receiver rather than using a different DSP. Please enlighten me.

If you have 7.1 then using PLIIx is probably better, multichannel won't send anything to your rear surrounds from a 5.1 track if you leave it on TrueHD or Multichannel. I only have 5.1 so you can't select PLIIx until you add the extra 2 speakers, but if you never use PLIIx, then what's the point of going 7.1?

post #56 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

same here no hum at all also.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #57 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

YOU SERIOUS DUDE?????? all the disney car and ratat commercials on TV says stunning 7.1 surround sound.. its part of their commercial... thats faulty advertising

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #58 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed that 705 owners most preferred PLIIx but no one mention the THXnueral7.1 which I use for watching movies in both HD DVD/BLU RAY movies. Is the PLIIx better than thxneural7.1?

Question with 7.1

I watched the Descent and Crank opted the pcm 6.1 or 7.1 audio tracks my 705 receiver lcd display MULTICH and when I press display in the remote it shows mch pcm 7.1 for both movies. It was awesome. I wish they make more movies with 6.1/7.1 pcm tracks. And here is my question...705 is correct reading the 6.1/7.1 tracks to MULTICH right? and noticed I can't choose any other dsp it just stuck with MULTICH so this must be correct?

And thanks for those who contribute in this thread.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #59 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 02:05 PM

I am new to HT and would appreciate some audio help. I have a 705 connected to a projector and 7.1 speakers. My inputs are a Dish Network HDDVR, XBOX 360 and Oppo DVD player. The xbox is connected with component cables and the other two are HDMI. The speakers are properly wired to the receiver.

My problem is I can't get 7.1 sound. The rear speakers have never worked. I have set all 3 inputs to PLIIx but still no back sound. Do I need to change the audio settings on the input devices? If so what should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Bill
post #60 of 8900 Old 11-09-2007, 02:06 PM

Purchased my Onkyo 705 today from Amazon.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr705 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page