The Official Onkyo TX-SR705 Thread (FAQ in 1st Post) - Page 284 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8491 of 8886 Old 04-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I just purchased a new Samsung PN50B860. I have a PS3 and Xbox360 connected through my Onkyo 705 via HDMI. Both my 360 and PS3 have the signal randomly drop every few minutes. If I direct connect PS3 or 360 to the TV, they both work fine. Never had any problems before with this setup. Any help would be great. If you need any more info let me know.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8492 of 8886 Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

I just purchased a new Samsung PN50B860. I have a PS3 and Xbox360 connected through my Onkyo 705 via HDMI. Both my 360 and PS3 have the signal randomly drop every few minutes. If I direct connect PS3 or 360 to the TV, they both work fine. Never had any problems before with this setup. Any help would be great. If you need any more info let me know.

Thanks

Make sure that your HDMI Audio Out setting is "OFF" in your receiver menu...
post #8493 of 8886 Old 04-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Make sure that your HDMI Audio Out setting is "OFF" in your receiver menu...

Thanks for the reply.
I fixed the problem, it was my 50' cable run with a repeater. I moved my component rack closer to the TV and now use only one 25' HDMI cable. It all works great.....for now.
post #8494 of 8886 Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Signal degradation over a long run can definitely cause that issue......
post #8495 of 8886 Old 04-27-2010, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a reason why sound volume levels seem to be lower when I use the Onkyo between by components and TV (as an HDMI switch) vs. plugging my components into the TV and outputing sound from the TV to the Onkyo? I'm specifically referring to a Pace HD cable box and an LG blu-ray player.

Also, what listening preset do folks recommend for Movies in Analog/PCM? I am currently using Neo:6 Cinema.

What about Music in Analog/PCM? I typically use Neo:6 Music and 5 Ch. Stereo.
post #8496 of 8886 Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 AM

Liked: 10
The sound from your TV is most likely stereo PCM (unless you are using the QAM tuner). Very few (if any) TVs pass 5.1 sound out from external sources...
post #8497 of 8886 Old 04-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Signal degradation over a long run can definitely cause that issue......

The weird thing is, that it's worked with two other TVs, but not this one. HDMI can be soooo difficult sometimes......most times.
post #8498 of 8886 Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

The weird thing is, that it's worked with two other TVs, but not this one. HDMI can be soooo difficult sometimes......most times.

Not all repeaters play nicely with all devices either.....
post #8499 of 8886 Old 04-27-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:

The sound from your TV is most likely stereo PCM (unless you are using the QAM tuner). Very few (if any) TVs pass 5.1 sound out from external sources...

Also, your TV will almost certainly not pass Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA from your Blu-ray player. In short, connect your components to your receiver.

Quote:

Also, what listening preset do folks recommend for Movies in Analog/PCM? I am currently using Neo:6 Cinema.

What about Music in Analog/PCM? I typically use Neo:6 Music and 5 Ch. Stereo.

Use whatever sounds good to you. I use PLIIx+THX for 2.0 movie sources, and Neural THX 7.1 for music. I also use THX Surround EX for 5.1 sources (I have a 6.1 setup).
post #8500 of 8886 Old 05-02-2010, 06:02 PM

Hi there, having a small problem with our 705. When the volume gets at or over -4 for any period of time it shuts down. Reboots fine and I just turn it down to around -6 or -7 and it's fine. I run a 120mm cooling fan when it's on, I am I just pushing it to hard? There is no distortion when I am at the level it cuts out and speakers seem to handling it fine, it's loud but not too loud if you know what I mean. I would of thought it would handle that volume fine. Thanks in advance.
post #8501 of 8886 Old 05-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedon View Post

Hi there, having a small problem with our 705. When the volume gets at or over -4 for any period of time it shuts down. Reboots fine and I just turn it down to around -6 or -7 and it's fine. I run a 120mm cooling fan when it's on, I am I just pushing it to hard? There is no distortion when I am at the level it cuts out and speakers seem to handling it fine, it's loud but not too loud if you know what I mean. I would of thought it would handle that volume fine. Thanks in advance.

What speakers? Did you change anything recently (different speakers)?

Check the speaker wires for damage. Check each driver in each speaker to make sure it is playing...
post #8502 of 8886 Old 05-02-2010, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Have recently gone from 5.1 to 7.2, but the problem was occuring before that. All speakers sounding fine, good connections and working great, it's just when it gets to that level it shuts down. Just in case it's needed, I'm running Wharfedale 9.6 fronts and sides, 9.1 centre, Mission MHT DS rear surrounds and Wharfedale PC12+ subs. I'm sure it's got plenty left in it to go up in volume but not at the moment.
post #8503 of 8886 Old 05-02-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Have recently gone from 5.1 to 7.2, but the problem was occuring before that. All speakers sounding fine, good connections and working great, it's just when it gets to that level it shuts down. Just in case it's needed, I'm running Wharfedale 9.6 fronts and sides, 9.1 centre, Mission MHT DS rear surrounds and Wharfedale PC12+ subs. I'm sure it's got plenty left in it to go up in volume but not at the moment.

Not sure then... The only time I've had that happen is when I had a bad tweeter. I run my at -3 or higher most of the time. Do you use Audyssey? Maybe give it a shot (even if you don't use it). Sometimes it will find a problem with a speaker you do not detect.
post #8504 of 8886 Old 05-02-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewd View Post

Not sure then... The only time I've had that happen is when I had a bad tweeter. I run my at -3 or higher most of the time. Do you use Audyssey? Maybe give it a shot (even if you don't use it). Sometimes it will find a problem with a speaker you do not detect.

Yep, I used Audyssey again when I added the two rear surrounds and I was in the room watching it in action and set it at eight positions and all speakers registered fine in the setup. Is there a sound meter or equivalent that I could use at say just below the level it goes off at that might pick up a speaker / tweeter fault?
post #8505 of 8886 Old 05-02-2010, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have read through alot of pages but wanted to know how to turn off the Dynamic Range Control on my receiver
post #8506 of 8886 Old 05-02-2010, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyknoxsvill View Post

I have read through alot of pages but wanted to know how to turn off the Dynamic Range Control on my receiver

On the remote, press "Receiver" and then press "L Night" repeatedly to select OFF, Low, High for DD/DD Plus and Auto, Off, On for Dolby True HD.
post #8507 of 8886 Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 AM

I will echo what dewd said - check your speaker wires for damage. Also make sure your speaker wires are not touching each other at both the receiver end and the speaker end. I think these recievers have built in fault sensor (I don't know the technical name) to turn themselves off if there is a problem. Hope that helps.

Quote:

post #8508 of 8886 Old 05-03-2010, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

On the remote, press "Receiver" and then press "L Night" repeatedly to select OFF, Low, High for DD/DD Plus and Auto, Off, On for Dolby True HD.

Thank you very much
post #8509 of 8886 Old 05-03-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, I used Audyssey again when I added the two rear surrounds and I was in the room watching it in action and set it at eight positions and all speakers registered fine in the setup. Is there a sound meter or equivalent that I could use at say just below the level it goes off at that might pick up a speaker / tweeter fault?

Plain and simple your receiver is going into protect mode and shutting down. You are drawing too much currrent to drive your speakers. Are you running them all full range? With subwoofers, you definitely shouldn't be....Make sure you are using your subs for everything below 80hz. That will take a big load off of your receiver. What ohm are your speakers? 8ohm, 6ohm, etc. the lower the value the harder it is on your receiver. Does it shut down if you are running only in stereo mode with just the front two speakers and subs?
post #8510 of 8886 Old 05-03-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Plain and simple your receiver is going into protect mode and shutting down. You are drawing too much currrent to drive your speakers. Are you running them all full range? With subwoofers, you definitely shouldn't be....Make sure you are using your subs for everything below 80hz. That will take a big load off of your receiver. What ohm are your speakers? 8ohm, 6ohm, etc. the lower the value the harder it is on your receiver. Does it shut down if you are running only in stereo mode with just the front two speakers and subs?

I think you might be right. I will have to check the settings and ohm level of the speakers, but am sure I set them to what they are, on the receiver. It shuts down when we are watching a Blu-ray running all speakers with THX Neural 7.1 from a BD60 but it would do it via Multichannel from a 60GB PS3 earlier as well, don't listen to a lot of music through it and if we do, never at that volume level.
If you wouldn't mind, I'll list the speaker/subs specs soon and if someone could advise me the best/ideal range settings for the receiver, it would much appreciated. Thank you.
post #8511 of 8886 Old 05-07-2010, 05:10 PM

Hi there again, here are the speaker/sub specs
Centre - Wharfedale 9CS, 120w, 6ohm
Fronts and Side Surrounds - Wharfedale 9.6, 200w, 6ohm
Rear Surrounds - Mission MHT ds, 100w, 8ohm
Subs - Wharfedale PowerCube 12+ 150w
If someone could tell me the best settings for the receiver and which menu to set them in, that would be great.
Also what would be the best crossover frequency/volume would be best for the subs.
Should I run the Audyssey setup again afterwards as well?
Thanks in advance.
post #8512 of 8886 Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi there again, here are the speaker/sub specs
Centre - Wharfedale 9CS, 120w, 6ohm
Fronts and Side Surrounds - Wharfedale 9.6, 200w, 6ohm
Rear Surrounds - Mission MHT ds, 100w, 8ohm
Subs - Wharfedale PowerCube 12+ 150w
If someone could tell me the best settings for the receiver and which menu to set them in, that would be great.
Also what would be the best crossover frequency/volume would be best for the subs.
Should I run the Audyssey setup again afterwards as well?
Thanks in advance.

I assume your subs are hooked up using the subwoofer preout jack and RCA cables with a splitter? Then either set your subs control panel for "crossover bypass" if it has one or just set them for the highest crossover frequency they got. Set the sub volumes to the midpoint - no higher. I would just run Audyssey and then when it is done and saved, go into the receiver's Speaker Configuration settings and check where it set your crossover levels... chances are it is setting all or some of your speakers at full range. Change these crossovers to at least 60hz for your fronts and maybe 80 hz for the rest of your speakers and let your subs take the low frequency load from your receiver. That should help tremendously....Do your speakers have a sensitivity rating in db?
post #8513 of 8886 Old 05-07-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:

I assume your subs are hooked up using the subwoofer preout jack and RCA cables with a splitter? Then either set your subs control panel for "crossover bypass" if it has one or just set them for the highest crossover frequency they got. Set the sub volumes to the midpoint - no higher. I would just run Audyssey and then when it is done and saved, go into the receiver's Speaker Configuration settings and check where it set your crossover levels... chances are it is setting all or some of your speakers at full range. Change these crossovers to at least 60hz for your fronts and maybe 80 hz for the rest of your speakers and let your subs take the low frequency load from your receiver. That should help tremendously....Do your speakers have a sensitivity rating in db?

Yes subs are wired as you said and no crossover bypass, they have 35-85Hz crossover frequency, so I will set them to 85Hz then and volume to half. The sensitivity rating of the 9.6 fronts and side surrounds are 90dB. the centre 9CS are 89dB, but I can't find the manual for the Mission rear surrounds sorry. Really appreciate your help, is there anything else I should do before running the Audyssey as for eight positions, it takes ages - have to kick the kids outside for a while.
post #8514 of 8886 Old 05-07-2010, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Those are pretty good sensitivity levels, so from that standpoint, they shouldn't be tough for your receiver to drive them to a good volume level. Now if for some reason your speakers real world ohm level is closer to 4 ohms than the 6 specified, then that could explain your receiver starting to balk at driving all speakers at a higher volume level.... Just for the sake of testing, if you wanted to stop Audyssey at just 3 positions for now; do it. And then manually go in and change those crossovers higher for your speakers and give it a shot with a movie and see what happens. If all is well, then go and do all 8 positions when you have more time... Also let me know what Audyssey sets your trim levels at for all your speakers. EXAMPLE. Front -4, Center -6, surround -5 and so on....
post #8515 of 8886 Old 05-07-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Those are pretty good sensitivity levels, so from that standpoint, they shouldn't be tough for your receiver to drive them to a good volume level. Now if for some reason your speakers real world ohm level is closer to 4 ohms than the 6 specified, then that could explain your receiver starting to balk at driving all speakers at a higher volume level.... Just for the sake of testing, if you wanted to stop Audyssey at just 3 positions for now; do it. And then manually go in and change those crossovers higher for your speakers and give it a shot with a movie and see what happens. If all is well, then go and do all 8 positions when you have more time... Also let me know what Audyssey sets your trim levels at for all your speakers. EXAMPLE. Front -4, Center -6, surround -5 and so on....

Will do, will run through it soon and the watch Avatar on Blu-ray that we picked up yesterday and let you know how we got on tomorrow, thanks very much.
post #8516 of 8886 Old 05-08-2010, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will do, will run through it soon and the watch Avatar on Blu-ray that we picked up yesterday and let you know how we got on tomorrow, thanks very much.

In addition to deano86's good advice, you may want watch your AVR's internal temps over time.

Go to the 1st post FAQ in this thread and find the tip section on temp/heat. You can set the 705 to continuously display the internal temp. The temp readings will continue to display as long as you don't change anything, so run your system, get to the desired volume level, do the button press sequences in the FAQ and you can watch the temp levels. Could be a useful tool in your analysis.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #8517 of 8886 Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 AM

Hi,

After owning this receiver for 3 years, I finally have an HDTV and Blu-Ray player that is capable of Dolby TrueHD sound and I wanted to test it out. I've set my LG Blu-Ray BD-570 player to primary pass-thru and 192khz as the Blu-Ray manual suggested, and the HDMI is going directly from Blu-Ray to Receiver, then out the Receiver to the TV. I watched The Dark Knight last night which is has TrueHD sound capabilities although the receiver only seemed to detect it as "Dolby D". I will say it did sound much better than any Dolby Digital 5.1 that I am used to, so I'm wondering if the receiver just mis-detected it?

A couple of other things I'll point out:

I did find in the Onkyo manual a reference to an incompatibility or problem with 192khz TrueHD sound, and it mentioned something about 96khz w/o tone control. I did try 192, 96 and 48, none of which changed the detection on the Onkyo to TrueHD.

The receiver showed a "D" in red on the screen. Not sure if this is expected with TrueHD?

I believe I'm using HDMI 1.3 or 1.3a cables, is there a pre-requisite for any specific version of the cable?

So, my questions...what am I doing wrong, or was I indeed listening to TrueHD sound?
post #8518 of 8886 Old 05-08-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM22681 View Post

Hi,

After owning this receiver for 3 years, I finally have an HDTV and Blu-Ray player that is capable of Dolby TrueHD sound and I wanted to test it out. I've set my LG Blu-Ray BD-570 player to primary pass-thru and 192khz as the Blu-Ray manual suggested, and the HDMI is going directly from Blu-Ray to Receiver, then out the Receiver to the TV. I watched The Dark Knight last night which is has TrueHD sound capabilities although the receiver only seemed to detect it as "Dolby D". I will say it did sound much better than any Dolby Digital 5.1 that I am used to, so I'm wondering if the receiver just mis-detected it?

A couple of other things I'll point out:

I did find in the Onkyo manual a reference to an incompatibility or problem with 192khz TrueHD sound, and it mentioned something about 96khz w/o tone control. I did try 192, 96 and 48, none of which changed the detection on the Onkyo to TrueHD.

The receiver showed a "D" in red on the screen. Not sure if this is expected with TrueHD?

I believe I'm using HDMI 1.3 or 1.3a cables, is there a pre-requisite for any specific version of the cable?

So, my questions...what am I doing wrong, or was I indeed listening to TrueHD sound?

Nevermind, it appears that Warner Blu-Ray's don't default to TrueHD and it must be changed on the languages menu. Oh well, I'll try it next time I watch it.
post #8519 of 8886 Old 05-08-2010, 10:55 AM

I use HTPC for everything including eatching TV, listening to music, watch DVD/BD movie. I connect 705 using HDMI cable from ATI 5450.

I have 1 5.1 speaker setup and recently I configured the speaker configuration to remove the 'double base' because for some movie, I found that the L/R speaker's base is somehow poor.

After the configuration, I suddenly found that the base for music is gone and I found that no sound from my sub at all. I set THX for all front and center speaker and the LFE of the sub is set to 120.

For listen mode of PCM input, I tried almost all mode including direct, stereo, THX 5.1, Nero music etc. No sound from the sub. The sub sounds good when I do the speaker testing.

I play music using Windows Media PLayer or Windows Media Center from a HOme Server. All songs are ripped in WMA lose-less format. What 705 receives from the HTPC when playing music is PCM.

ANy comment or suggestions are very appreciated. THanks!
post #8520 of 8886 Old 05-08-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC8813 View Post

I use HTPC for everything including eatching TV, listening to music, watch DVD/BD movie. I connect 705 using HDMI cable from ATI 5450.

I have 1 5.1 speaker setup and recently I configured the speaker configuration to remove the 'double base' because for some movie, I found that the L/R speaker's base is somehow poor.

After the configuration, I suddenly found that the base for music is gone and I found that no sound from my sub at all. I set THX for all front and center speaker and the LFE of the sub is set to 120.

For listen mode of PCM input, I tried almost all mode including direct, stereo, THX 5.1, Nero music etc. No sound from the sub. The sub sounds good when I do the speaker testing.

I play music using Windows Media PLayer or Windows Media Center from a HOme Server. All songs are ripped in WMA lose-less format. What 705 receives from the HTPC when playing music is PCM.

ANy comment or suggestions are very appreciated. THanks!

If your front speakers are set at full-range (with double bass off), there will be no signal to the sub except for the content in the LFE channel from 5.1 sources. So nothing from stereo sources. Try raising the crossover for the front channels to 80Hz (a very common recommendation in the Audyssey forum). Obviously, if your crossover is already set at 80Hz (you mentioned THX), this cannot explain your problem.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page