Forum Jump: 

post #8761 of 8898 Old 12-24-2011, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

So after all of this, you are fretting over a 2 db difference for your surrounds, no less? If you want more presence from your surrounds go ahead and raise them up... If it sounds better, than that is what you should do.... it is up to you...

I just didn't know if that was the intent of the audio calibration to have all speakers at the same output, or if its intentional to have the surrounds at a lower level. I did bump them up after the calibration and watched Dark Side of the Moon and really enjoyed the soundstage.

I know it all comes down to personal preference but was trying to figure out why the surrounds were 2dB lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8762 of 8898 Old 12-24-2011, 06:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM View Post

I just didn't know if that was the intent of the audio calibration to have all speakers at the same output, or if its intentional to have the surrounds at a lower level. I did bump them up after the calibration and watched Dark Side of the Moon and really enjoyed the soundstage.

I know it all comes down to personal preference but was trying to figure out why the surrounds were 2dB lower.

You are not understanding the purpose of calibration. The reason they are 2db lower is because that's what Audyssey found them to need to balance them with the rest of your system.

You can use the iPhone if you like, but I am betting it is not accurate even for 'reference'. It is very directional and not really suited for this purpose. Also, the test tones on your dvd are typically a bad idea. Remember, they are colored by all the processing occurring on the receiver.

In the end it is your system and you can adjust it the way you like. Just know that changes you make are your "preference". Audyssey tries to make your system "reference".
post #8763 of 8898 Old 12-25-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begostef View Post

Hello all!

I've done a lot of searching here and other places for the answer....

I use the 705 for my home theater and a separate analog system for listening to my music collection that is stored in lossless WAV files on a hard drive. I access the music through a WD Media Player with RCA stereo outputs to my Carver amp.

The problem I have is that the sound of the music as processed through the WD Media Player's DAC is not very good. I plan to eventually buy a separate DAC, but until then is there any way to utilize the DAC in the SR 705? I'd like to use it as a pass through only so that the sound would be through my analog Carver amp.

Thanks for any help!!

Could you feed a raw digital signal to the 705 and use the 705's line-level preamp output to feed the Carver?
post #8764 of 8898 Old 01-09-2012, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Help! Dolby Digital keeps popping through my speakers. ( I think people have referred to this as "bombing" but that was with DTS )

I seem to have an intermittent problem with my receiver. if I am watching TV with Dolby Digital I get these intermittent loud pops and shrieks through my speakers. I can't believe they haven't blown from them yet, really freaks out my dog. If I rewind the content is can not be repeated. It will play that same content without the loud popping. I thought it was an issue with DireTV but last night it also started happenening when I was watching a blu-Ray through my PS3.

if I disable Dolby Digital on my DireTV then i no longer have this problem. also, whicle watching the blu-ray movie last night I set the receiver to THX and the issue went away.

So it seems to be a recent problem with my receiver decoding Dolby Digital. Is that even possible?

Is there a way to fix something like this? Everything is being fed into the receiver via HDMI.

TX-SR705 is my model and I have never done a firmware update. There aren't any as far as i can tell.

Could my receiver just be crapping out? I bought it new a few years ago, I'd be surprised if it was failing so soon.

Thanks,
CF
post #8765 of 8898 Old 01-09-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitznFish View Post

Help! Dolby Digital keeps popping through my speakers. ( I think people have referred to this as "bombing" but that was with DTS )

I seem to have an intermittent problem with my receiver. if I am watching TV with Dolby Digital I get these intermittent loud pops and shrieks through my speakers. I can't believe they haven't blown from them yet, really freaks out my dog. If I rewind the content is can not be repeated. It will play that same content without the loud popping. I thought it was an issue with DireTV but last night it also started happenening when I was watching a blu-Ray through my PS3.

if I disable Dolby Digital on my DireTV then i no longer have this problem. also, whicle watching the blu-ray movie last night I set the receiver to THX and the issue went away.

So it seems to be a recent problem with my receiver decoding Dolby Digital. Is that even possible?

Is there a way to fix something like this? Everything is being fed into the receiver via HDMI.

TX-SR705 is my model and I have never done a firmware update. There aren't any as far as i can tell.

Could my receiver just be crapping out? I bought it new a few years ago, I'd be surprised if it was failing so soon.

Thanks,
CF

First, have you done a full receiver reset?

Secondly, yes... there is firmware available for this model. There is Main firmware which is typically only available to be performed at a service center.
But, there also is a DSP firmware update that can be performed yourself. Search the very beginning of this thread regarding firmware and procedures. The DSP firmware may help you if the receiver reset does not work for you.
I did the DSP firmware update for my 705 when I still owned one a couple years ago and it worked well....
post #8766 of 8898 Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:

First, have you done a full receiver reset?

Secondly, yes... there is firmware available for this model. There is Main firmware which is typically only available to be performed at a service center.
But, there also is a DSP firmware update that can be performed yourself. Search the very beginning of this thread regarding firmware and procedures. The DSP firmware may help you if the receiver reset does not work for you.
I did the DSP firmware update for my 705 when I still owned one a couple years ago and it worked well....

no, I haven't done a full reset. Will that mean i have to reconfigure everything again?
post #8767 of 8898 Old 01-09-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Well.... that is why it is called a "reset"! Seriously, that should be of minor concern compared to the chance to get rid of your problem... And rerunning Audyssey is never a bad thing in case you have moved things around in your room and such...
post #8768 of 8898 Old 01-09-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Well.... that is why it is called a "reset"! Seriously, that should be of minor concern compared to the chance to get rid of your problem... And rerunning Audyssey is never a bad thing in case you have moved things around in your room and such...

Any idea where to get the firmware? It's no longer available for download....
post #8769 of 8898 Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any idea where to get the firmware? It's no longer available for download....

Did you try and get it from Onkyo? You have to register your receiver first with Onkyo to gain access to the DSP firmware... unless that link is totally expired now. But, even so you should be able to call or email them to get it. Here is the actual DSP firmware link for the 705 that you can use once you have it registered:

http://63.148.251.142/download/firmw...re_replace.cfm

I would hope that would work. You should be able to download the actual small file and these instructions:

http://www.filedump.net/dumped/dspup...1223284303.pdf

Ideally what you need is just a CD player with an optical output. Next choice would be a standard DVD player that is set to bitstream out. Before you do anything though, you should just check to see what level of DSP firmwares you are currently running on your 705. Follow this:

To check the DSP version, Press and hold "Display"
button and then press "Standby/On" button. You will see Main X.XX/XXXX on the
front display. Within 4 seconds after the Main X.XX/XXXX displayed; press Tone
"+" or Tone button. F/W version of first DSP will be displayed. Press
(within 4 seconds after first DSP displayed) again the Tone "+" or Tone
button and you will see the second DSP version. Now, Press (within 4 seconds after
second DSP displayed) again the Tone "+" or Tone button and you will see
the third DSP version. The new versions will be as follows:
First DSP: 08214A
Second DSP: 07518A
Third DSP: 07820B

If your firmwares match these of the update, you may as well not bother. Then I would just call Onkyo and see what they say. If you find that you do need the update and can't get it, PM me and I think I still may have the old CD-R I burned to do my update..... Good luck!
post #8770 of 8898 Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM

Since my sub pre-out doesn't work, is there another way i can get a signal that my sub woofer can filter? I was thinking the headphond jack maybe? The other pre-outs don't work either. I was thinking coming off the fronts, but that aint happening. Don't know that i'll buy an Onkyo again.
post #8771 of 8898 Old 01-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzBasicMan View Post

Since my sub pre-out doesn't work, is there another way i can get a signal that my sub woofer can filter? I was thinking the headphond jack maybe? The other pre-outs don't work either. I was thinking coming off the fronts, but that aint happening. Don't know that i'll buy an Onkyo again.

Are you positive you have the sub plugged into the pre-out and not the input? When looking at the back, the outputs are on the right side (near the speaker terminals). Also make sure your cable is not broken.

Does your sub have high-level (sometimes called speaker level) inputs?
post #8772 of 8898 Old 01-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Absolutely sure it's plugged into the sub pre-out. I also loaned the sub and the cable to my nephew on his system and it was working fine. The sub does have high level inputs. Is that going through the crossovers too? How would i use the high level inputs? Thanks for the help.
post #8773 of 8898 Old 01-12-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzBasicMan View Post

Absolutely sure it's plugged into the sub pre-out. I also loaned the sub and the cable to my nephew on his system and it was working fine. The sub does have high level inputs. Is that going through the crossovers too? How would i use the high level inputs? Thanks for the help.

If your sub has high level inputs, then you are simply hooking up your front left and right speaker wires from the receiver to your sub instead. You will then use the subwoofers own crossover adjustment to set it at the frequency you want. Then connect your speakers from the speaker out connectors on the sub....

I assume you have gone into the 705's Speaker menu and doublechecked that your subwoofer is active along with any other speakers? If for some reason it is turned OFF, you will not have any signal for it at the preout jack.... not to mention, something as weird as no preout signal would prompt me to do a full receiver reset just to be sure.
post #8774 of 8898 Old 01-12-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:

If your sub has high level inputs, then you are simply hooking up your front left and right speaker wires from the receiver to your sub instead. You will then use the subwoofers own crossover adjustment to set it at the frequency you want. Then connect your speakers from the speaker out connectors on the sub....

I assume you have gone into the 705's Speaker menu and doublechecked that your subwoofer is active along with any other speakers? If for some reason it is turned OFF, you will not have any signal
for it at the preout jack.... not to mention, something as weird as no preout signal would prompt me to do a full receiver reset just to be sure.

Cool. That beats the heck out of buying a new reciever. lol. I haven't done a reset. Guess i could give that a try. Thanks very much for the help.
post #8775 of 8898 Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 PM

Well i hooked up the fronts to the high level inputs on the subwoofer and to my surprise, I get nothing. Tried some music with some bass and there was nothing. So it may actualy be the sub after all.
post #8776 of 8898 Old 01-20-2012, 03:23 PM

I was watching Elektra on BD with DTS HD MA, and all of a sudden my SR-705 turned itself off. First I thought it had overheated since I had it cranked up pretty high. I rewound a minute, turned it back on right away, and it happened again at the same time in the movie.

I turned the amp back on without rewinding the movie, and watched it to the end with no issues, same volume.

I have 7000+ hours on the amp, and this is the first time something like this has happened. Anyone experience the same? Any clue what it could be?
post #8777 of 8898 Old 01-22-2012, 09:05 PM

Have had this receiver for about 4 years but barely used it thanks to the lip sync issue. The instructions in this thread to alleviate it never worked from me because the video was too fast for the audio in my case.....

Well, today, I fixed it buy buying a new tv. I went from a Vizio VX37L to an LG 47LK520. Without having to play with any of the delay in the onkyo, the words and lips were synced up. I tested this a number of different ways.

For those that have the issue, maybe try a different tv.
post #8778 of 8898 Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So is there a worthy upgrade to this model to be considered at this point. I have this one, never had a problem with it really. It gets hot but nothing serious when volume is way up. It may be responsible for a bit of hum in my subwoofer but the jury is still out on that. So it is more out of curiousity that I ask since it is already 4 years old for me.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #8779 of 8898 Old 01-31-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

So is there a worthy upgrade to this model to be considered at this point. I have this one, never had a problem with it really. It gets hot but nothing serious when volume is way up. It may be responsible for a bit of hum in my subwoofer but the jury is still out on that. So it is more out of curiousity that I ask since it is already 4 years old for me.

I'm was kind of in the same boat as you. My 705 is working just fine, and it does run hot, but like you said, nothing serious. However, I did need another receiver for my basement, so I got the 709. As you can imagine, the 709 has a ton more features than the 705, most notably more power and networkability. Also runs very cool, no heat issues at all in comparison. Check out the 609 too... even the "lower" model smokes the 705.
post #8780 of 8898 Old 01-31-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUDesi View Post

I'm was kind of in the same boat as you. My 705 is working just fine, and it does run hot, but like you said, nothing serious. However, I did need another receiver for my basement, so I got the 709. As you can imagine, the 709 has a ton more features than the 705, most notably more power and networkability. Also runs very cool, no heat issues at all in comparison. Check out the 609 too... even the "lower" model smokes the 705.

thanks, I'll do that.

Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #8781 of 8898 Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just beware that if you choose the 609, you will be dropping from Audyssey MultiEQ XT in the 705 down to the bare bones Audyssey 2EQ which has no subwoofer filtering at all....
post #8782 of 8898 Old 02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just beware that if you choose the 609, you will be dropping from Audyssey MultiEQ XT in the 705 down to the bare bones Audyssey 2EQ which has no subwoofer filtering at all....

good point. Also want to add that I was considering a Pioneer as a possible upgrade but the things I have been reading about the MAACP or whatever it is called that is used in lieu of Audyssey makes me want to stay away from it altogether. Thinking it will be either Onkyo or Denon if I ever replace this older workhorse of a 705 which has never given me a single problem such as audio or video drop out. The 707 thread sounds like one big disaster. Guess 705 was the golden year, but 709 sounds pretty good so far.

Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #8783 of 8898 Old 02-04-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:

good point. Also want to add that I was considering a Pioneer as a possible upgrade but the things I have been reading about the MAACP or whatever it is called that is used in lieu of Audyssey makes me want to stay away from it altogether. Thinking it will be either Onkyo or Denon if I ever replace this older workhorse of a 705 which has never given me a single problem such as audio or video drop out. The 707 thread sounds like one big disaster. Guess 705 was the golden year, but 709 sounds pretty good so far.

705 was the golden year? That's what I have, and I'm one of the many who struggled (and still do) with audio sync. You're saying things haven't improved in AV amp world since then?
post #8784 of 8898 Old 02-05-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouko342 View Post

705 was the golden year? That's what I have, and I'm one of the many who struggled (and still do) with audio sync. You're saying things haven't improved in AV amp world since then?

Well, I didn't mean it quite like that. I was just browsing some of the interim years between the 705 model year and 709. Model 707 sounds like a complete disaster. I don't think 6 or 8 were much better. Serious problems like no video, no sound after a short time on the job and such. But I was in a browsing mode and just trying to catch up on Onkyo stuff. Never had a big problem with sync myself but I know it happens occasionally on my 705 on some cable channels.

Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #8785 of 8898 Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I didn't mean it quite like that. I was just browsing some of the interim years between the 705 model year and 709. Model 707 sounds like a complete disaster. I don't think 6 or 8 were much better. Serious problems like no video, no sound after a short time on the job and such. But I was in a browsing mode and just trying to catch up on Onkyo stuff. Never had a big problem with sync myself but I know it happens occasionally on my 705 on some cable channels.

A/V sync problems are somewhat common with both cable channels and Dish/Directv... not necessarily tied to the receiver or manufacturer of them... You may be able to solve bad sync issues with those type of sources by using the analog audio option...
post #8786 of 8898 Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is not true. They will not have mult eq xt. Yes this is a big deal!
post #8787 of 8898 Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberk62 View Post

I ran Audyssey over the weekend and came up with the following results for my 5.1 set up:

All the speaker distances were pretty much spot on except the sub. The sub is place in the corner right behind the right front's stand. Right front was reported at 13.5' whereas the sub at 16.5' (should have been 14'). Is it possible to manually change the distance? Are these settings OK?

The other results are:
Front, Center, and Surrounds all at 150Hz

Left -3.0dB
Center -5.0dB
Right -4.0dB
Surr Rt -10.0dB
Surr Lt -7.0dB
Sub +3.0dB

========================

My Klipsch Synergy Quintet speakers with KSW-10 sub specs:

Crossover frequency: 4900Hz
Bandwidth: Satellite: 100Hz-20Hz Center: 125Hz-20Hz

I set the sub's lowpass at 120Hz and Phase at 0

How many listening points did you use for the test?It's best if you use all 8.
post #8788 of 8898 Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Thanks,
CF

Mine started the same thing about a year ago. Never was able to resolve issue without paying to get fixed. I ended up replacing with Onkyo TX-NR609.
post #8789 of 8898 Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 PM

Liked: 11
I thought somewhere earlier in this thread there was talk about a firmware update to deal with the issue of random pops, etc coming through the speakers. Knock on wood, I have not had this happen so far.
post #8790 of 8898 Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Anyone know if the 705 has HDMI ARC?

Rich
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr705 by PriceGrabber.com