AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfaithful View Post

Anyone know if the 705 has HDMI ARC?

It does not. ARC is an HDMI 1.4 feature; the 705 is 1.3.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8792 of 8900 Old 03-15-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfaithful View Post

Anyone know if the 705 has HDMI ARC?

That's a negative, Ghostrider.

ARC is an optional feature that was introduced with HDMI v1.4, IIRC. The Onkyo x05 series are v1.3. Doesn't appear Onkyo implemented HDMI v1.4 until the x08 lineup.

-Brent
post #8793 of 8900 Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am having a horrible clicking / popping noise, and i read that i may need to update my firmware, i cant find the update anywhere, It is at the point that this popping noise is straight up annoying. I think i may need to send it in for repair but i wanna try a firmware update 1st.

Gaming and Movie Format Neutral
HDDVD: 84

BluRay:24

SD-DVD: 222

post #8794 of 8900 Old 04-24-2012, 02:37 PM

Liked: 10
OK, I'm very late the the whole BR and HDMI game, but I finally got a BR player last weekend to go with the Onkyo 705 receiver I bought used at xmas. So I hook up HDMI from BR to 705 on HDMI 1, then the 705's HDMI out to my TV's digital input (its DVI, and I use an HDMI to DVI adaptor). Change the 705's HDMI Monitor on the Setup menu to Yes, change the DVD input to HDMI 1, and press play on the BR player.

I expected to see the wonderful world of HD video, but instead - nothing. At least nothing from the BR player. The 705's setup menu came through clear enough, so there was video going from the 705 to the TV on the HDMI output. And audio came through from the BR player. But no picture from the BR player was passed through the 705.

I tried switching to HDMI 2, then 3, but none of them worked. I then took the HDMI from the BR player straight to the TV, bypassing the 705, and picture was there and looked great. So I ended up using the optical out from the BR player to get the audio and left the video going straight from BR to TV.

So what I am I missing here? How do I get the video to pass through the 705 so I have a pure HDMI signal chain? I must be missing something, or my 705 is defective. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

HD
post #8795 of 8900 Old 04-24-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 56
More than likely the dvi adapter is messing up the hdmi communication/sync. Make sure sure all hdmi cec and auto resolution settings are turned off in your tv, bluray player and receiver. If that doesn't work, try setting your output resolution from your player at 1080i or 720p. I am guessing your tv can not do 1080p since it only has a dvi connection?
post #8796 of 8900 Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post

OK, I'm very late the the whole BR and HDMI game, but I finally got a BR player last weekend to go with the Onkyo 705 receiver I bought used at xmas. So I hook up HDMI from BR to 705 on HDMI 1, then the 705's HDMI out to my TV's digital input (its DVI, and I use an HDMI to DVI adaptor). Change the 705's HDMI Monitor on the Setup menu to Yes, change the DVD input to HDMI 1, and press play on the BR player.

I expected to see the wonderful world of HD video, but instead - nothing. At least nothing from the BR player. The 705's setup menu came through clear enough, so there was video going from the 705 to the TV on the HDMI output. And audio came through from the BR player. But no picture from the BR player was passed through the 705.

I tried switching to HDMI 2, then 3, but none of them worked. I then took the HDMI from the BR player straight to the TV, bypassing the 705, and picture was there and looked great. So I ended up using the optical out from the BR player to get the audio and left the video going straight from BR to TV.

So what I am I missing here? How do I get the video to pass through the 705 so I have a pure HDMI signal chain? I must be missing something, or my 705 is defective. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

HD

It's been a while since I had my 705, so bare with me, if my memory fails. I think there is a option in the menu to "assign" the HDMI ports. I remember having to do something like that to get HDMI video.
post #8797 of 8900 Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

More than likely the dvi adapter is messing up the hdmi communication/sync. Make sure sure all hdmi cec and auto resolution settings are turned off in your tv, bluray player and receiver. If that doesn't work, try setting your output resolution from your player at 1080i or 720p. I am guessing your tv can not do 1080p since it only has a dvi connection?

I'll go back and check. I think the TV auto-selects resolution but can't do 1080p like you said. I tried switching BR output resolution but there was no signal with any setting. Also, the TV gets video directly from the BR but not when routed through the receiver, so it must be something in the receiver.

Quote:

It's been a while since I had my 705, so bare with me, if my memory fails. I think there is a option in the menu to "assign" the HDMI ports. I remember having to do something like that to get HDMI video.

There is a setting in the setup to assign the HDMI port to a given input like DVD. I did this and then tried all 3 ports, all with no results.

I'm going to repeat the whole setup again this weekend to make sure I didn't miss something or mess something up. Just seems strange to me....

HD
post #8798 of 8900 Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM

Well, I solved the problem. While I had everything setup correctly from a setup and wiring perspective, turns out I was not closing the setup process correctly. When finished with getting all settings correct, I was using the "return" button to up a menu level and ultimately exit from setup. This results in no HDMI output. However, if instead the settings are finalized and then the "setup" button is pushed, everything works just great.

The manual does say to press "setup" when done. I just used the return key out of habbit from using computers and never thought it would lead to a non-functional setup.

Regards to all,

HDD
post #8799 of 8900 Old 05-21-2012, 11:32 PM

Have a Onkyo TX SR705 have been using it for two years until the picture off the satellite (CBL/SAT) decoder does not show for about 8 min, however there is sound. All cable’s checked. Did a total reset of the Onkyo machine, returning the old settings. But still does the same thing. Any advice?
post #8800 of 8900 Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 58
sounds like a bad HDMI board...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #8801 of 8900 Old 05-31-2012, 12:12 PM

ZONE 2 question.

Can I add 2 more speakers to the Zone 2 by way of parallel connection?
The current 2 speakers are outdoor 8 Ohm.

I would use the same exact speakers I currently have.
post #8802 of 8900 Old 05-31-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvindd View Post

ZONE 2 question.

Can I add 2 more speakers to the Zone 2 by way of parallel connection?
The current 2 speakers are outdoor 8 Ohm.

I would use the same exact speakers I currently have.

Parallel would not be recommended.... you would be presenting a very low impedance load to your zone 2 amp of 4 Ohms or less... You may be able to get away with it if you are not using the receiver at the same time for your main system or if you are listening at a low volume, but hooking them up in series would present a much easier and safer load.
post #8803 of 8900 Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Parallel would not be recommended.... you would be presenting a very low impedance load to your zone 2 amp of 4 Ohms or less... You may be able to get away with it if you are not using the receiver at the same time for your main system or if you are listening at a low volume, but hooking them up in series would present a much easier and safer load.

Thanks for your quick reply.
The Zone 2 is currently for the outside deck, so we are not using the Zone 2 at the same time as the main system.

I'm trying to add 2 more speakers closer to the pool.
I'm thinking of making Zone 2 "R" the pool speakers and Zone 2 "L" the deck speakers.

It would probably be easier/safer to install an A-B switch.
post #8804 of 8900 Old 06-06-2012, 03:51 AM

Bit of a strange on around the HDMI Audio pass-through.

I have the following setup.

SkyHD Box HDMI -> Onkyo HDMI IN1
SkyHD Box Optical -> Onkyo Optical 1
Onkyo HDMI -> Samsung LCD (and also Project via splitter)
HDMI Passthrough disabled

Sat Setting to taking HDMI1 for video and Optical1 for audio

This setup has worked fine as I always use my amp for the audio and never the speakers in the screen. I am now looking to also feed the HDMI signal up to a TV in another room via the HDMI signal. Its connected up and works find but obviously does not get the audio.

I've changed the HDMI Audio pass-through to YES but I still do not get any sound to the TV. By default the Sky box outputs stereo over the HDMI. I was expecting this signal to still pass through the stereo HDMI signal but it appears not.

It looks like due to me having set Optical1 for audio its actively blocking the audio pins on the HDMI signal even through I have HDMI through enabled.

If I tell the amp to use HDMI1 for audio then it does pass through the audio and I get it on the 2nd TV (but I loose the audio through the speakers in the main room)

I have a feeling this is working as designed but slightly annoying.

At the moment it looks like I will need another splitter on the SkyHD box + a HDMI switch between that and the Onkyo amp (as it also feeds from a HTPC as well.
post #8805 of 8900 Old 06-08-2012, 01:23 PM

Is there a way to get 3d to work with the 705? I have a 3d tv and blu ray player. I would like to not upgrade the 705 if possible.
post #8806 of 8900 Old 06-08-2012, 02:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappat View Post

Is there a way to get 3d to work with the 705? I have a 3d tv and blu ray player. I would like to not upgrade the 705 if possible.

Short answer, no.

I had a 707 and was unable to pass 3D through it, so an older model is certainly not going to handle it.

There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark
post #8807 of 8900 Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post

Short answer, no.
I had a 707 and was unable to pass 3D through it, so an older model is certainly not going to handle it.

Bummer! Wife is not going to be happy eek.gif
post #8808 of 8900 Old 06-11-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then why don't you just get an HDMI splitter like this one from Monoprice and split your players output.... Feed one cable directly to an input on your 3d TV and the other to your receiver for the audio?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2

I assume you should have at least one extra HDMI input on your TV available?

If by chance you didn't require playing the lossless sound modes, you could get by without the splitter at all and just hook the players HDMI output straight to the TV and use your toslink/optical or coaxial digital output to the 705 for the sound....
post #8809 of 8900 Old 06-15-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Then why don't you just get an HDMI splitter like this one from Monoprice and split your players output.... Feed one cable directly to an input on your 3d TV and the other to your receiver for the audio?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2
I assume you should have at least one extra HDMI input on your TV available?
If by chance you didn't require playing the lossless sound modes, you could get by without the splitter at all and just hook the players HDMI output straight to the TV and use your toslink/optical or coaxial digital output to the 705 for the sound....

Thanks! I will give this a try. I have enough inputs, so your solution should work.
post #8810 of 8900 Old 06-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Anyone know why my 705 now loses some settings when the power just flickers or I briefly unplug it? Also after the power interuption the 705 has a three second sound delay on all sources and runs extremly hot within minutes at idle until I rerun audyssee. Then after the fan shuts off it stays very cool and all is well until the next power interuption. PA sometimes shows up on the immediate after the interuption. Any ideas?
post #8811 of 8900 Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 AM

I connected my laptop via HDMI cable into the receiver's input 3. When I play a video on the laptop, I get video, but no audio. My HDMI Audio Out on the receiver is set to OFF. Any idea what can be wrong with my setup?
post #8812 of 8900 Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 PM

Hi all.

Got a question and i hope you can help me with it.

When i play a movie from mine mediaplayer and i select audio RAW it often hapten that mine Onkyo 705 freezes. When it freezes i only can reset the receiver by pulling the powerplug out. Right now the dispaly of mine onkyo says dialog norm -27 and is frozen.

When i change the audio menu ffrom mine mediaplayer from RAW to STEREO for HDMI or change it from RAW to LPCM for SPDIF then i have no problem with the receiver. Only then it wont play DTS sound.

I have tried to change the HMDI cable for sound with a optical but it still freeze. I also have tried to update mine Onkyo but that didnt worked because i dont have dvd or cd player.

Does anyone know what the problem can be?

Cheers,

Gamblet
post #8813 of 8900 Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberk62 View Post

I connected my laptop via HDMI cable into the receiver's input 3. When I play a video on the laptop, I get video, but no audio. My HDMI Audio Out on the receiver is set to OFF. Any idea what can be wrong with my setup?
Issue resolved. I didn't realize that on the laptop I had to change the sound device in the Control Panel to HDMI.
post #8814 of 8900 Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 PM

Liked: 11
I'm projecting a Sony VW60 on an old Draper 10' screen (6' x 8') with 2 inputs- a Cox Cable DVR and a Pioneer BDP-95 FD blu-ray player. My picture size on Cox is fine but no matter what settings I select on the Pioneer, the picture height is not correct; instead of 16 x 9 it appears to be 16 x 7. Is there something on the Onkyo that needs to be adjusted to resolve this. DVD screen.JPG 1417k .JPG file Cable screen.JPG 1525k .JPG file

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BR,

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DVD screen.JPG (1.38 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Cable screen.JPG (1.49 MB, 9 views)
post #8815 of 8900 Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhart View Post

I'm projecting a Sony VW60 on an old Draper 10' screen (6' x 8') with 2 inputs- a Cox Cable DVR and a Pioneer BDP-95 FD blu-ray player. My picture size on Cox is fine but no matter what settings I select on the Pioneer, the picture height is not correct; instead of 16 x 9 it appears to be 16 x 7. Is there something on the Onkyo that needs to be adjusted to resolve this. DVD screen.JPG 1417k .JPG file Cable screen.JPG 1525k .JPG file
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
BR,
Jack

There is nothing wrong with your setup, it just a matter of different aspect ratios. I'm guessing your DVD/BD uses a 1.85:1 ratio (look on the back of the case), while your HD cable is standardized at16x9. It is your content that dictates the aspect ratio, not your receiver. You'll even get the same aspect ratio on certain movies if you subscribe to "premium" cable channels.
post #8816 of 8900 Old 07-02-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks! I will give this a try. I have enough inputs, so your solution should work.

I have much the same setup as you (SR705 + Panny 65GT50 3-D TV). The only way I could get 3-D plus lossless audio is to use a dual HDMI output BR player. This feeds the HDMI 1.4 directly to the TV and the lossless audio to the SR705 through the DVD HDMI connector. Panny, Samsung, Oppo and Sony are companies who produce dual HDMI output 3-D BR players
post #8817 of 8900 Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM

I just purchased a used Onkyo TXC-SR705. It is almost fully hooked up and everyhthing sounds great. The seller sold it to me with the understanding that the HDMI out doesn't work. This is fine with me as my older (2005) plasma TV doesn't have an HDMI input anyway.

Here's my problem: I've connected my turntable via the the phono inputs but there's no sound when I try to play records. The turntable works; it worked fine on the Panasonic receiver I replaced.

Does the phono input have to be "assigned?"

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
post #8818 of 8900 Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace Hartley View Post

I just purchased a used Onkyo TXC-SR705. It is almost fully hooked up and everyhthing sounds great. The seller sold it to me with the understanding that the HDMI out doesn't work. This is fine with me as my older (2005) plasma TV doesn't have an HDMI input anyway.
Here's my problem: I've connected my turntable via the the phono inputs but there's no sound when I try to play records. The turntable works; it worked fine on the Panasonic receiver I replaced.
Does the phono input have to be "assigned?"
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

No, there really shouldn't be anything to assign.... as long as you selected the Phono input it should produce sound... What type of cartridge do you have in your turntable? MM (moving magnet) or MC (moving coil)? If by chance it is an MC, it's output still may be too low for the Phono input. You may have to switch to a MM or add an outboard phono stage. If it is a MM, have you tried another analog audio input on the 705? If the turntable is working, you should still get some sort of sound; albeit crappy sounding but sound nonetheless.... That way you can tell if the problem is with the turntable or the Phono input on the 705...
post #8819 of 8900 Old 08-17-2012, 12:26 AM

Well, I connected my phono to two different sets of analog inputs (aside from the phono inputs) and in both cases the record playing on the turntable came out pretty clearly. So the turntable works. When I connect the turntable to the phono inputs there is only silence -- no matter how loud I turn up the volume.

It appears that my phono inputs are dead.

Since I have a lot a vinyl and play it regularly, I'll have to have this fixed.

Anyone ever heard of this problem before or have any advice as to how I should proceed?
post #8820 of 8900 Old 08-17-2012, 04:51 AM

Since your regular audio inputs work, it may be less expensive for you to get an inline phono preamp device rather than have this fixed.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr705 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page