The Official Onkyo TX-SR705 Thread (FAQ in 1st Post) - Page 297 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8881 of 8897 Old 03-24-2014, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really need some help!!

I bought a DTR-50.2, but I cannot ifnd the serial number sticker anywhere on the receiver. It is supposed to be a white label with 10 digit number. But I have searched, and searched the back and there is absolutely no label... None.

I called up Integra support and they say it must have one.

IS there any way I can look it up in the firmware? Is there a hidden service menu that lists the serial number....

This is driving me nuts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for any help.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8882 of 8897 Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappatti View Post

Really need some help!!

I bought a DTR-50.2, but I cannot ifnd the serial number sticker anywhere on the receiver. It is supposed to be a white label with 10 digit number. But I have searched, and searched the back and there is absolutely no label... None.

I called up Integra support and they say it must have one.

Sure you have the right forum? This is the Onkyo TX-SR705 forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8883 of 8897 Old 03-24-2014, 06:02 PM

This is the only forum that came on my search about hidden menu settings, and since Onkyo=Integra, I posted here. If there is an official DTR-50.2 thread, I would gladly post there......

Thanks !
post #8884 of 8897 Old 04-18-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Okay so I read the entire Owners FAQ (1st post), but am still very confused about what listening mode I should use with a 5.1 speaker setup. The FAQ said that I should just leave it on Multichannel Audio, yet I don't have that listening mode. The only thing I seem to have is mono, stereo, Direct, and Dolby D, so I am using Dolby D for now. This may be because I don't have my rear channel speakers hooked up yet, so I basically have 3.1 speaker setup right now. I disabled all the surround speakers in the speaker setup menu. When I do get my rear speakers what is the best listening mode for both movies and cable? My cable box has an option to output audio is surround sound. It doesn't specify what format of surround sound it uses it just gives you two options stereo or surround it is hooked up using HDMI. The cable box is for AT&T Uverse.

post #8885 of 8897 Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post

Okay so I read the entire Owners FAQ (1st post), but am still very confused about what listening mode I should use with a 5.1 speaker setup. The FAQ said that I should just leave it on Multichannel Audio, yet I don't have that listening mode. The only thing I seem to have is mono, stereo, Direct, and Dolby D, so I am using Dolby D for now. This may be because I don't have my rear channel speakers hooked up yet, so I basically have 3.1 speaker setup right now. I disabled all the surround speakers in the speaker setup menu. When I do get my rear speakers what is the best listening mode for both movies and cable? My cable box has an option to output audio is surround sound. It doesn't specify what format of surround sound it uses it just gives you two options stereo or surround it is hooked up using HDMI. The cable box is for AT&T Uverse.
I use multichannel pcm sent via hdmi from ps3, thats for blurays. Not sure of your cable as im from nz, my cable bitstreams dolby digital 5.1 through optical. All above using audessey, fronts set to large, double bass on and center and surrounds set to 60hz. Music is 2ch stereo, audessey off. Hope this helps, if not let me know

(2)RF-82ii (1)RC-64ii (2)RC-62ii
(2)Exodus audio tempest-x 15" 200l sealed enclosures (1)Velodyne CHT-12Q
Onkyo 705
Behringer EP4000
NAD C275BEE
AMC 2N100-3
post #8886 of 8897 Old 04-21-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Just watched the Cosmos last night on Fox, it is one of the few shows that seem to be broad cast in full 5.1 channel Dolby Digital. It sounded completely amazing. I think I will be using that mode whenever it is available, and I will just keep playing around with PLII, THX5.1, and Neo 6, till I decide which upmixes stereo the best.

Have a new problem now. I am having troulbe getting the system loud enough. Even at max volume the system is only a moderate volume, few would consider it loud. It is quite annoying. I had run the Audyssey set-up and I guess I had my subwoofer turned down to low during the setup cause it had set it at 0db and everything else at -7 to -4. Well it appears that having the sub set higher than the other channel wouldn't allow the other channels to reach max volume cause the sub would reach max volume first and in order to preserve the differences in volume between the channels the receiver wouldn't allow the other channels to increase in volume any further. So I fixed this by lowering the sub to the same volume as the other in the setup and then cranking the gain on the back of the sub. But this only have me another 5db and while it was a noticeably improvement I still wouldn't call it loud. I was finally able to get the system to play loudly by turning up the intellivolume setting to +12. This allows me to reach the level of loudness that I desire while still being around 20db from the receiver's maximum volume setting. Are there any drawbacks to using intellivolume? Are there any other settings I should be looking at to squeeze volume out of the system?

post #8887 of 8897 Old 08-02-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ok so I have a newly built dedicated theater. I have a 705 hooked up to 3 M&K 750 THX for LCR and 2 550thx speakers for surrounds. I ran audessy and it dialed everything down from -1 to -4 DB. I am currently having to run it up to about -15 to get the level of sound I'm looking for. Wondering if I need to add a separate 3 channel amp for the fronts or if it's time to retire the 705 and move up. Thoughts?
post #8888 of 8897 Old 08-04-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post
Ok so I have a newly built dedicated theater. I have a 705 hooked up to 3 M&K 750 THX for LCR and 2 550thx speakers for surrounds. I ran audessy and it dialed everything down from -1 to -4 DB. I am currently having to run it up to about -15 to get the level of sound I'm looking for. Wondering if I need to add a separate 3 channel amp for the fronts or if it's time to retire the 705 and move up. Thoughts?
So, what exactly is the problem? If it sounds good at -15, who cares? If you performed Audyssey correctly, you are still 15 db below reference level.... Depending on the source or soundtrack, then that level is probably fine...other sources -15 is probably blasting... Unless your speakers are literally starting to sound bad(clipping) or your 705 goes into protect mode after a while at your preferred volume, then you really don't have a problem... More than anything I could see you upgrading the 705 for additional or preferred features as opposed to lacking power. Trust your ears, and don't worry about what the volume display says....
post #8889 of 8897 Old 08-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

Raunch,

As a long-time Onkyo owner and enthusiast, this is something that has always bothered me and many others that own this company's electronic gear (the "low volume as it reads on the volume display" thing) -- I own the receiver that's a step down from yours, the TX-SR605, but have some suggestions because I too am one of those that are "bugged" by the readout level on the receiver's display (even if this is all just a mental/placebo thing). First -- are all sources connected to your 705 exhibiting the volume output thing (needing to turn it up to -15dB)? If it's one source in particular, go into the AVR's SOURCE SETUP in the Setup Menu and look for INTELLIVOLUME -- this controls the "output" level of the connected sources (almost like old power amps of their day and their "sensitivity controls"). Try jacking the source you're questioning (BD/DVD, CD, Tuner, etc.) up to +10dB on IntelliVolume...let me know how that sounds after you do. I have more suggestions after that...

post #8890 of 8897 Old 08-05-2014, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the suggestions I will take a look tonight. I think it's quieter on my Xbox 1 which i use for games and blu rays. I will check the intellivolume. Also I wasn't pleased with the Audyssey calibration. It set my LCR to 150hz on the crossover and set my sub to 90 hz. I had no bass anywhere.

Come see my Livin' the Dream build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8891 of 8897 Old 08-05-2014, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Do you see any issues with me splitting the sub output to run two active subs? I have a M&K V1250 and an Elemental Designs A2-300 I'd like to run if possible. Currently the V1250 is not getting it done in this space.

Come see my Livin' the Dream build!

post #8892 of 8897 Old 08-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Raunch,

PM me for non-Audyssey setting suggestions...

post #8893 of 8897 Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bosworth View Post
Firmware , cant find version.

Hi I am new here so hope I am posting in correct place. I am about to add a blu ray player to my TXSR 705 and have read about this "gunshot problem". I have tried to find the firmware version by
1) Turn on Receiver
2) HOLD down the "Display" button and press "Standby" button once.
3) Release the "Display" button.
4) Press the + or – keys to cycle forward and backward through all the firmware display pages.#

However all that is displayed is "unknown" and an arrow sign

Is the + - keys the one buttons on the front of the unit or the remote control? Unfortunatly my remote has broken - battery contacts went rusty and broke , and I am trying to obtain a new one.

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Boz
Yes, you use the keys on the receiver itself... not the remote. You must not quite be holding/releasing the buttons at the proper time... here is the actual DSP firmware update instructions... for what it's worth!

http://www.nitarosemassage.com/DSP%2...05-805-875.pdf
post #8894 of 8897 Old 08-12-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, you may indeed be fine as far as the DTS bomb being already fixed. You may just not have the very latest DSP firmware that was issued.... Contacting Onkyo tech support for certain would be a good idea. Otherwise, what you could do is just use the Multichannel PCM audio option on your player to send the lossless sound to your 705, instead of bitstream.
The loud "gunshot" type defect is only for DTS bitstreamed to the receiver.. PCM removes that possibility... This spike noise you talk about probably isn't the DTS bomb defect... if you actually are bitstreaming a "DTS soundtrack" and your receiver does the defect, you will know it! By all accounts, it is extremely loud... like jump out of your chair loud....

Last edited by deano86; 08-12-2014 at 05:46 AM.
post #8895 of 8897 Old 08-12-2014, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bosworth View Post
Thanks very much deano, to be safe I will go with the PCM option ! Tried the two settings and I think there may be only very very slight difference in the sound, PCM a little bit quieter, so will just turn it up a bit.! Also taking your advise contacting support. I assume its ok th leave Dolby Digital HD in bitstream and its just the DTS ones as my player lists both?

Really appreciate your advise on this

Cheers
Boz
I found with dd and dd truehd via bitstream I got loud random screethes from my speakers. I run all PCM now and haven't had a problem. The 1 issue I have had since new, still excellent as my pre/pro.
post #8896 of 8897 Old 09-12-2014, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Receiver goes into Audyssey setup mode unexpectedly at various times. It will enter setup mode telling me to "place the microphone...." while I am viewing a TV program. Very annoying....
Any one else having this issue?
Any suggestions how to fix?

TIA
post #8897 of 8897 Old 09-19-2014, 07:58 AM

Liked: 0
Anyone one else running Redmere HDMI cables with their Onkyo 705?
I have the Samsung 60f8500, Im having intermittent signal loss issues. It worked fine when I first plugged them in, then the next day I get a no signal error even though everything is plugged in. If I shut everything off, unplug the HDMI cable, it may work again. This method is hit or miss though.
I thought it was just a bad cable, so I replaced it with another. Worked fine for a day, then "no signal" error again. I tested a regular HDMI cable direct from Fios box, but that wasn't working either....But I still had the Redemere cable plugged into the TV to receiver in another port. When I removed the redmere cable, I get audio/video fine with just the regular HDMI.
Wondering if it's the receiver or TV not playing nice with these cables.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr705 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page