The Official Onkyo TX-SR705 Thread (FAQ in 1st Post) - Page 298 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #8911 of 8946 Old 03-10-2015, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bi Amping

Greetings!

I finally bought some tower speakers that can be bi amped. My question is what is the RMS per channel on this receiver utilizing 5.1 and 7.1? What will the RMS be if I use only 5.1 but bi amp the towers? Is there any benefit to bi amping? I assume so. I've estimated the RMS on just a 5.1 configuration would be roughly 20watts RMS, if Bi amp I've estimated the RMS watts at roughly 15, so in theory if I bi amp the towers the tweeters and mids will be receiving 15 watts RMS each or 30 watts RMS total versus not bi amping and just using 5.1 with the towers running off of just the front speaker posts getting 20 watts RMS. Does this sound right?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 8946 Old 03-10-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjer View Post
Greetings!

I finally bought some tower speakers that can be bi amped. My question is what is the RMS per channel on this receiver utilizing 5.1 and 7.1? What will the RMS be if I use only 5.1 but bi amp the towers? Is there any benefit to bi amping? I assume so. I've estimated the RMS on just a 5.1 configuration would be roughly 20watts RMS, if Bi amp I've estimated the RMS watts at roughly 15, so in theory if I bi amp the towers the tweeters and mids will be receiving 15 watts RMS each or 30 watts RMS total versus not bi amping and just using 5.1 with the towers running off of just the front speaker posts getting 20 watts RMS. Does this sound right?
Thanks.
Hello and welcome. Unfortunately bi-amping off a receiver will do nothing to increase power. A receiver has 1 power supply so you are correct that the more channels you run the less power per channel is output, so that basically explains bi-amping as well. You will get twice the channels but overall output will be halved. If you have the 705 it has pre-outs, getting a decent power amp is the only way to increase power.
post #8913 of 8946 Old 03-14-2015, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I think I'm with Robbie on this one, too; I also thought about "passive bi-amping" or "bi-wiring" (which is what you're describing, when you're using a receiver's unused channels to "feed" bi-ampable speakers) as I am running massive Polk RTi12's off an Onkyo 605 (the speakers and receiver are bi-amping capable)...but as it was explained to me, and as Robbie touched on above, there's no real sonic advantage to this (I have not personally physically tried it though) because you're still tapping off the receiver's common power supply; nothing's really "getting more powerful" if you catch my drift...

The idea behind this "bi-amping" (or wiring) concept -- and what the receiver manufacturers and some outlets such as Crutchfield attempt to hype to unbelievable levels -- was that by re-purposing the back surround channels of a 7.1 receiver if you're running a 5.1 setup, your FRONT main channels can get fed more power if they're bi-ampable. As I said, I never actually experimented with this but after it was explained to me that it basically "does nothing" (you need a whole different kind of complex setup if you really want to bi-wire/amp, wherein separate amplifiers are designated to drive the high and low portions of your loudspeakers...very complex, as I said) I didn't waste my time or extra speaker cable on it.

Now -- the benefits of leaving a configuration like mine (that is, a standard 5.1 setup) alone, leaving the surround back channels idle and empty, is that, theoretically, my receiver should be able to produce more dynamic headroom per channel because it's powering five channels instead of seven; Robbie or someone please correct me if I'm wrong here...

5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
polkaudio RTi12 - polkaudio CSi30 - SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling Surrounds - polkaudio PSW350
2 CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC-4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1 - Infinity PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB
post #8914 of 8946 Old 03-15-2015, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I think I'm with Robbie on this one, too; I also thought about "passive bi-amping" or "bi-wiring" (which is what you're describing, when you're using a receiver's unused channels to "feed" bi-ampable speakers) as I am running massive Polk RTi12's off an Onkyo 605 (the speakers and receiver are bi-amping capable)...but as it was explained to me, and as Robbie touched on above, there's no real sonic advantage to this (I have not personally physically tried it though) because you're still tapping off the receiver's common power supply; nothing's really "getting more powerful" if you catch my drift...

The idea behind this "bi-amping" (or wiring) concept -- and what the receiver manufacturers and some outlets such as Crutchfield attempt to hype to unbelievable levels -- was that by re-purposing the back surround channels of a 7.1 receiver if you're running a 5.1 setup, your FRONT main channels can get fed more power if they're bi-ampable. As I said, I never actually experimented with this but after it was explained to me that it basically "does nothing" (you need a whole different kind of complex setup if you really want to bi-wire/amp, wherein separate amplifiers are designated to drive the high and low portions of your loudspeakers...very complex, as I said) I didn't waste my time or extra speaker cable on it.

Now -- the benefits of leaving a configuration like mine (that is, a standard 5.1 setup) alone, leaving the surround back channels idle and empty, is that, theoretically, my receiver should be able to produce more dynamic headroom per channel because it's powering five channels instead of seven; Robbie or someone please correct me if I'm wrong here...
Yes, in receivers the less channels running the more power is available to those channels. And yes active bi-amping requires
active xovers, multiple amps, removal or bypassing the original internal xovers and then ensuring the whole system is calibrated properly. I run seperate power amps from the pre-outs, 150 true watts rms per channel with no power drop when all channels are driven.
post #8915 of 8946 Old 03-15-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you, Robbie.

5.1:
polkaudio RTi12 - polkaudio CSi30 - SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling Surrounds - polkaudio PSW350
2 CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC-4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1 - Infinity PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB
post #8916 of 8946 Old 03-24-2015, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've put up with the dropouts for years...

...and I finally want to see if there's anything I can do about it.

I'm talking about the audio dropout that happens when the sound changes, say from a commercial coming back to the program.

There's always about a 2 second audio dropout as the receiver figures out what kind of sound it's handling. It happens constantly — I've never heard the first couple seconds of a movie I start playing.

(Ever cut 2 seconds into the 20th Century Fox logo music at high volume? That alone has taken years off my life.)

Is there ANY configuration I can make to have sound transitions happen smoothly? Failing that, is there a way to set the Onkyo so it doesn't make any transitions at all?

Any help is appreciated...thanks!

Last edited by msloane; 06-19-2015 at 07:37 PM.
post #8917 of 8946 Old 06-18-2015, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAdams View Post
@spank2223 , I have a similar issue. I got my 705 in 2007 and have been living with the noises for years. Sometimes it went days without making the noises, but more recently it became more frequent. I've never had any problems with video output. All my stuff is connected via HDMI. I have a Comcast/ Motorola DVR cable box, a second generation Apple TV box, and a Panasonic blu-ray player connected to a 2007 vintage Panasonic plasma. I believe the TV only does 1080i, and I know the Apple and Comcast only do 1080i. Because the noises recently got worse, I contacted Onkyo and asked for a firmware upgrade. They sent me an upgrade CD right away. I did the firmware upgrade and I don't think we've heard the noises since, but it's only been a few days since the upgrade so we're not out of the woods yet.
Well I called Onkyo finally. They wouldnt send me the firmware disc. They said it was for popping not screeching. They told me to do a master reset.

Does anyone know where else I can get the firmware upgrade?
THanks
post #8918 of 8946 Old 09-10-2015, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Firmware upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank2223 View Post
Well I called Onkyo finally. They wouldnt send me the firmware disc. They said it was for popping not screeching. They told me to do a master reset.

Does anyone know where else I can get the firmware upgrade?
THanks
@spank2223 , Onkyo sent me the firmware upgrade CD, marked "DSP:08214A 07518A 07820B". If you send me your shipping info, I can send the CD to you via UPS. I upgraded my 705 without any issue. The upgrade didn't fix my problem, but you might have better luck.
post #8919 of 8946 Old 09-14-2015, 02:49 PM

Hi. I have a 705, had it for a while- love it. I'm just now trying to connect my Dell Latitude 7440 (2013) up to it. It's connected via HDMI- and video shows up fine. However- there is no audio. I get "No signal" on the Onkyo. Now on the laptop (Windows 7 Enterprise) when I connect the HDMI cable- a new entry shows up in the "Sound" panel and it actually says "SR 705." I'm guessing this is an issue with the laptop, but was wondering if anyone experienced something similar.

Thanks in advance.
post #8920 of 8946 Old 09-14-2015, 03:33 PM

Attached snapshot of the Sound adapters. I upgraded the intel display audio to the latest version- as I read on some other forums that that helped some folks. No such luck with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	940690  
post #8921 of 8946 Old 09-24-2015, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Had a free day and thought I'd finally try and get my old school PS2 working through my 705. I have a somewhat convoluted setup, but without going into too much detail here's the gist of my question:

I want to hook my PS2 up via the front AUX input and pass the video out via HDMI. Caveat: I have the HDMI out running through a splitter so I can have two separate screen settings for my PS4 (one for gaming, one for movies).

Also, in messing around I came to realize the OSD no longer displays on the tv; if I'm on an HDMI source and enter the menu via the front panel, I just get a flickering blue screen on my tv. Could the splitter be to blame? I have no issues viewing content/playing games/etc, and I just now discovered the OSD issue.

Any advice/guidance for either hooking up my PS2 or resolving my OSD issue would be much appreciated! Can provide input settings and the like if necessary.

Thanks!

*EDIT* If it helps at all, when I have the PS2 connected via the front AUX input and select the AUX source from the front of the 705, I can hear Guitar Hero but can't see anything on any of the sources.

Last edited by AFMan916; 09-24-2015 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Additional info
post #8922 of 8946 Old 09-25-2015, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Manske View Post
Hi. I have a 705, had it for a while- love it. I'm just now trying to connect my Dell Latitude 7440 (2013) up to it. It's connected via HDMI- and video shows up fine. However- there is no audio. I get "No signal" on the Onkyo. Now on the laptop (Windows 7 Enterprise) when I connect the HDMI cable- a new entry shows up in the "Sound" panel and it actually says "SR 705." I'm guessing this is an issue with the laptop, but was wondering if anyone experienced something similar.

Thanks in advance.
Hi
Is your display 1080p and is your onkyo set up to pass through 1080p? I had the same issue trying to run a 720p tv off my onkyo hooked up to my laptop. For whatever reason the laptop could not identify the display when audio was sent, I either got no audio with a picture OR if I turned the tv off I got audio. I now have a 1080p tv and my pc(upgraded from laptop but laptop still worked)sends 1080p signal to Onkyo 705 which is identified as the display by the pc which in turn sends the signal through to my tv.

(2)RF-83 (1)RC-64ii (2)RF-82ii (2)RC-62ii
(2)Exodus audio tempest-x 15" subs in 200l sealed enclosures
Onkyo 705 pre/pro and rear surrounds
DSPeaker Antimode 8033 sub eq Behringer EP4000 subs
NAD C275BEE mains
AMC 2N100-3 surrounds and center
post #8923 of 8946 Old 09-25-2015, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFMan916 View Post
Had a free day and thought I'd finally try and get my old school PS2 working through my 705. I have a somewhat convoluted setup, but without going into too much detail here's the gist of my question:

I want to hook my PS2 up via the front AUX input and pass the video out via HDMI. Caveat: I have the HDMI out running through a splitter so I can have two separate screen settings for my PS4 (one for gaming, one for movies).

Also, in messing around I came to realize the OSD no longer displays on the tv; if I'm on an HDMI source and enter the menu via the front panel, I just get a flickering blue screen on my tv. Could the splitter be to blame? I have no issues viewing content/playing games/etc, and I just now discovered the OSD issue.

Any advice/guidance for either hooking up my PS2 or resolving my OSD issue would be much appreciated! Can provide input settings and the like if necessary.

Thanks!

*EDIT* If it helps at all, when I have the PS2 connected via the front AUX input and select the AUX source from the front of the 705, I can hear Guitar Hero but can't see anything on any of the sources.
The flickering blue screen I think is just a byproduct of an older gen hdmi receiver. Mine sometimes fickers with a blue screen, sometimes works properly and then sometimes has no osd at all. As for the ps2 it should work although the picture quality will be bad. The 705 was not designed to up-convert composite video to hdmi. It will send it but I believe it will downscale the signal. I dont think it will work off the front aux though, I think there is specific composite inputs labeled on the back for hdmi ''up-conversion''. Probably the best way would be normal av l/r to your onkyo and composite video direct to your tv.

(2)RF-83 (1)RC-64ii (2)RF-82ii (2)RC-62ii
(2)Exodus audio tempest-x 15" subs in 200l sealed enclosures
Onkyo 705 pre/pro and rear surrounds
DSPeaker Antimode 8033 sub eq Behringer EP4000 subs
NAD C275BEE mains
AMC 2N100-3 surrounds and center
post #8924 of 8946 Old 11-22-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No sound in certain channels

I have had my 705 for about 8 years and it's performed well. My LCD went out and I had to hook up a non hdmi plasma to it for a while. I now have a new LCD but I cant get sound when watching cable. I have my PS3 hooked up and everything is working fine. When I watch satellite I get only muted bass from the sub. I finally got sound from the TV working but not through the receiver. I hope it's just a setting I messed up as I am long out of warranty. Any thoughts and assistance are greatly appreciated. Thanks
post #8925 of 8946 Old 11-22-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson24 View Post
I have had my 705 for about 8 years and it's performed well. My LCD went out and I had to hook up a non hdmi plasma to it for a while. I now have a new LCD but I cant get sound when watching cable. I have my PS3 hooked up and everything is working fine. When I watch satellite I get only muted bass from the sub. I finally got sound from the TV working but not through the receiver. I hope it's just a setting I messed up as I am long out of warranty. Any thoughts and assistance are greatly appreciated. Thanks
What are your connections from satellite to receiver? May be an incorrect digital input setting on the onkyo
post #8926 of 8946 Old 11-22-2015, 01:07 PM

Hdmi in from both PS3 and satellite. Then hdmi out to TV. If it's a setting I can't figure it out.
post #8927 of 8946 Old 11-22-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have had my 705 for about 8 years and it's performed well.

...as has my 605, Branson. Since the day I got it.

5.1:
2 CHANNEL:
post #8928 of 8946 Old 11-22-2015, 03:32 PM

Fixed

Quote:
So after reading a "commonly made mistakes" post I realized I had my speakers hooked up wrong. I only have 5 speakers and I had them hooked up in the 7.1 slots as surround and surround rear. I put them where they should be and voila! It's just weird that they worked like that before. Anyway, thanks for reading.
post #8929 of 8946 Old 11-22-2015, 03:37 PM

Receiver + PS3 + Netflix English 5.1 = feedback

When I watch Netflix through the PS3 which is hooked up to the receiver by hdmi I get crazy feedback/popping noises. I can change the setting of the show in Netflix from English 5.1 to English and everything is good. Unfortunately Netflix does not have a way for me to make this a permanent setting. Is there a setting on the receiver that will help me here? I haven't found anything on the Sony forums. Thanks
post #8930 of 8946 Old 11-28-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I watch Netflix through the PS3 which is hooked up to the receiver by hdmi I get crazy feedback/popping noises. I can change the setting of the show in Netflix from English 5.1 to English and everything is good. Unfortunately Netflix does not have a way for me to make this a permanent setting. Is there a setting on the receiver that will help me here? I haven't found anything on the Sony forums. Thanks
I think its a fault in decoding dolby digital bitsream as mine makes horrible popping noises but only when bitstreaming dd. I swapped it to lpcm and no noises. Too old to bother about fixing and not really an issue for me anyway
post #8931 of 8946 Old 02-26-2016, 03:55 PM

Subwoofer issue / DTS issue

So I've been enjoying my 705, until recently. I switched speakers, and now there is an issue with the subwoofer output. Every so often (usually more often after it's been in use for awhile, it may be good for a couple of hours from first turn on, but after it's been on a couple hours the noise may happen every 2-5 minutes), I get a rapid, loud thumping from the subwoofer that drowns out the normal audio. My first thought was it was a problem with the new sub or cable, but I switched the cables, no difference, and went back to my old sub, and it was doing this as well, so I think I've narrowed it down to the 705. Anything else I should/can try

I also noticed that for some reason on DTS movie soundtracks I have to turn up the volume significantly to hear the dialogue as compared to the Dolby Digital. I've tried playing with a few settings since this seemed to happen after a power outage, but can't seem to get anything to fix it.

Any suggestions, or is it just time to replace the 705?
post #8932 of 8946 Old 03-17-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondoo0 View Post
So I've been enjoying my 705, until recently. I switched speakers, and now there is an issue with the subwoofer output. Every so often (usually more often after it's been in use for awhile, it may be good for a couple of hours from first turn on, but after it's been on a couple hours the noise may happen every 2-5 minutes), I get a rapid, loud thumping from the subwoofer that drowns out the normal audio. My first thought was it was a problem with the new sub or cable, but I switched the cables, no difference, and went back to my old sub, and it was doing this as well, so I think I've narrowed it down to the 705. Anything else I should/can try

I also noticed that for some reason on DTS movie soundtracks I have to turn up the volume significantly to hear the dialogue as compared to the Dolby Digital. I've tried playing with a few settings since this seemed to happen after a power outage, but can't seem to get anything to fix it.

When I leave my iPhone on a wall near the sub, it'll do that...you sure it's not just 4G interference?
post #8933 of 8946 Old 03-17-2016, 06:52 PM

Question no sub for 2.0 music?

Dumb question, but I can't figure it out...any way to force the sub on when playing back regular ole' stereo music? (either from 2.0 music channel off my FiOS STB or using my Connect 360 to have my XBox read my iTunes library)

Thx!
post #8934 of 8946 Old 03-17-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlasttoy View Post
When I leave my iPhone on a wall near the sub, it'll do that...you sure it's not just 4G interference?
I don't think from its 4g, but could be some other type I guess, just not sure how to narrow it down or eliminate the source of interference

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
post #8935 of 8946 Old 03-17-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Dumb question, but I can't figure it out...any way to force the sub on when playing back regular ole' stereo music? (either from 2.0 music channel off my FiOS STB or using my Connect 360 to have my XBox read my iTunes library)

Thx!
DOH! I think I got it:
"..........If you are using only the left and right speakers in a stereo/sub 2.1 setup, some receivers will not output to the sub unless you have the settings correct. Be sure to set the speakers to "main/sub" or "main and sub" in the stereo multiplex section of the manual."

Can't try it now (everyone's asleep) but this looks promising!

EDIT: I have no idea why the pic keeps uploading upside-down!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1321561  
post #8936 of 8946 Old 03-17-2016, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thx!
You need to make sure the main l/r are set to small and have a xover applied-80hz is a good starting point. Depending on how good your speakers and/or sub is double bass could work but I do not recommend it. This sends bass frequencies to both your mains and the sub but can cause cancelation issues. The idea is the bass gets handled by the sub and everything else gets handled by the speakers.
post #8937 of 8946 Old 04-10-2016, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondoo0 View Post

I had something similar happen to my 705 as well. Its like feedback or buzz through out all the speakers/sub, and i had it go into protection mode once or twice. Only time it happens is watching cable. I tried both optical and digital coaxial and it was the same thing. I figured it was the AVR way of telling me its on its way out.

I just replaced it with a Pioneer Elite SC-95 and it has not happen yet. I'll hang on to the 705 until i bring it back out and see if it could be repaired.
post #8938 of 8946 Old 04-11-2016, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiey60 View Post
You need to make sure the main l/r are set to small and have a xover applied-80hz is a good starting point. Depending on how good your speakers and/or sub is double bass could work but I do not recommend it. This sends bass frequencies to both your mains and the sub but can cause cancelation issues. The idea is the bass gets handled by the sub and everything else gets handled by the speakers.
As always, I second Robbie's sentiment here -- 99.9-percent of the time (unless you have no sub at all) your mains should be crossed over at a certain frequency, not run full range, and 80Hz is a good starting point. I like to run larger floor-standing towers a bit lower, at 60, which is where I have my Polk RTi12s set, but for most bookshelf, surround and center speakers, 80Hz is healthy.

I wouldn't recommend Double Bass (on Onkyos) either.

Good to see there are people still rocking their 705s, all these years later...I'm still rockin' my 605!

5.1:
2 CHANNEL:
post #8939 of 8946 Old 04-11-2016, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
As always, I second Robbie's sentiment here -- 99.9-percent of the time (unless you have no sub at all) your mains should be crossed over at a certain frequency, not run full range, and 80Hz is a good starting point. I like to run larger floor-standing towers a bit lower, at 60, which is where I have my Polk RTi12s set, but for most bookshelf, surround and center speakers, 80Hz is healthy.

I wouldn't recommend Double Bass (on Onkyos) either.

Good to see there are people still rocking their 705s, all these years later...I'm still rockin' my 605!
It literally still does everything I need it to do and a replacement with 7.1 preouts and thx cert is high end receiver prices. Unless it stops working or I find a really good deal on something just as good this is it.
post #8940 of 8946 Old 04-11-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiey60 View Post
It literally still does everything I need it to do and a replacement with 7.1 preouts and thx cert is high end receiver prices. Unless it stops working or I find a really good deal on something just as good this is it.
I totally hear ya, Rob -- I feel the exact same way about my 605. It powers our room just fine, does all the decoding I need it to do and is refreshingly un-complex, unlike most of the AVRs and processors out today. Until we're ready to get into DTS:X or Dolby Atmos (which requires additional processing unfortunately) the 605 is remaining in my cabinet.

Do you have any pics of your setup with the 705 doing its thing?

5.1:
2 CHANNEL:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver

taboola here