The Official Onkyo TX-SR705 Thread (FAQ in 1st Post) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for opinions...

I had originally planned on getting the 705 and then jumped at the 2808ci deal a few weeks ago. The Denon has been sitting in its box since I haven't had time to set it up nor get the other components to go with it (new speakers, new tv)... and now I'm wondering if I should return the 2808ci to get the Onkyo 705 for $200 cheaper.

Has anyone else moved from the Denon to the 705 or have any thoughts re: the value of the two against each other?

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

woots,
OT - do/can you use banana plugs for the satellites? What gauge are you running? The (very few) reviews I've read suggest the sub was somewhat finnicky to setup. What has your experience been?

Would you mind commenting more on the quality and sound your KEF's. I'm about ready to jump. Just wanted the final shove.

What was the name of the site you got the extra two satellites from?

Sorry for going OT.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Skid

BOTJ Member... Onk 705 FW 1.06
post #93 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 12:32 PM

I've been playing with my new 705 today. One of my favorite features is the remote control. I love the backlite, the learning capabilities, and the overall layout.

The one thing that kinda bothers me is the Pure Audio mode. I understand this mode turns off the display and video circuitry to minimize interference. While not being the purpose of Pure Audio, it's also nice just to eliminate extra light sources while watching dvd's in the dark. However the light around the Pure Audio button is a blinding blue. Thus, defeating any visual benefits of using this feature.
post #94 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 View Post

Are you using the multi channel analogue ins, or is your HD DVD coming in via HDMI? Although i dont have one myself, it seems everyone else can apply DDPLIIx etc to PCM audio over HDMI, so it sounds like yours being locekd in MULTICH is because you are using those analogue multi channel inputs?

via hdmi, But I know once I play those movies the MULTICH will appear without pressing the display button in the remote. Will check later if it can be switch to another dsp. It seems like my 705 is reading the disc when I play the crank and the descent.

My video source is Panny bd10a. Thank you

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #95 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 PM

Can anyone answer this for me?

I m having major problems listening to standard CD's with this receiver. I am playing a standard Cd through my Toshiba HD A20 going into the DVD portion of the Onkyo 705 receiver. The damn receiver keeps clicking and cutting out the song over and over like it's cycling through HDMI channels or something. It's very annoying. Now it's just stopped producing any sound at all. I've tried different settings and nothing works.

What the hell is going on here?

OK, now the display went BLANK on the Onkyo705. Pulling the HDMI cable and re-inserting it gets me sound again but once again it's cutting in and out and the display is STILL blank.

edit: OK, the blank screen was my fault..didn't notice I hit Pure Audio. But I still can't play an audio CD without it constantly cutting out the sound and making clicking noises.

I'm beginning to HATE this receiver Between this, not being able to get Nueral THX5.1 any more and lip synch issues it's really ticking me off.

edit2: Ok, i figured it out but it makes no sense to me. I have to have the tv ON in order to get the audio working correctly. Why though? makes no sense.
post #96 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

fs: 48 means 48 KHz sampling frequency.

It doesn't matter what you preset the listening modes to for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD because an HD-A2 can't transmit those bitstreams. But if you had an HD-A35, Direct would be a bad choice because it's stereo, and it turns off your subwoofer and runs the front channels full-band.

Can you explain "can't transmit" please...

The Toshiba HD-A2's manual says that for HDMI it can output 5.1ch PCM if the format is 48 or 96kHz. This is for TrueHD.

Maybe I am not understanding something here?

Lew
post #97 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fish View Post

I've been playing with my new 705 today. One of my favorite features is the remote control. I love the backlite, the learning capabilities, and the overall layout.

The one thing that kinda bothers me is the Pure Audio mode. I understand this mode turns off the display and video circuitry to minimize interference. While not being the purpose of Pure Audio, it's also nice just to eliminate extra light sources while watching dvd's in the dark. However the light around the Pure Audio button is a blinding blue. Thus, defeating any visual benefits of using this feature.

Hehe...this reminds me of something us old bug users would do. The generator light would always glow indicating the charging system wasn't working, but it was. It became common to just put a piece of tape over the warning light and forget it

As far as watching DVD's in the dark... I read in a couple places that you shouldn't watch videos in the dark. In fact, I have the Video Essential optimizing DVD and they show the light glowing from around the monitor. Based on everything I read, I mounted a standard 4' flourescent ceiling light fixture on the back of my rear projection TV. I turn off all the lights in the room and turn on the light behind the TV. The flourescent light shines backwards, bounces off the wall behind the TV and creates a fairly uniform flow around three sides of the TV.

The top of the light fixture also gave me a nice cable trough for laying the cables in between components as I have all my components on top of the TV. That is one plus of a deep TV, you get a place to put your components

I haven't read anything in quite awhile about this suggested viewing/lighting method but at one time it was considered optimum.

Lew
post #98 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:

It doesn't matter what you preset the listening modes to for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD because an HD-A2 can't transmit those bitstreams. But if you had an HD-A35, Direct would be a bad choice because it's stereo, and it turns off your subwoofer and runs the front channels full-band.

kplex, thanks for annswering my question. Are most frequencies for HD-DVD movies at 48 khz then? I've tried transformers, batman begins, superman returns, matrix, and they all show 48 khz? Do I have to change some settings to get even better sound resolution?
post #99 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividere View Post

)
As far as watching DVD's in the dark... I read in a couple places that you shouldn't watch videos in the dark. In fact, I have the Video Essential optimizing DVD and they show the light glowing from around the monitor. Based on everything I read, I mounted a standard 4' flourescent ceiling light fixture on the back of my rear projection TV. I turn off all the lights in the room and turn on the light behind the TV. The flourescent light shines backwards, bounces off the wall behind the TV and creates a fairly uniform flow around three sides of the TV.
Lew

It's never absolutely dark in my t.v. room. I have an Olevia LCD television and it casts a soft white glow on the wall behind it. I don't think it's an intended feature, the light just shines out of the vents in the rear. Kinda neat really. We also hung some white led christmas lights behind where we sit. That produces a nice soft glow from the back of the room.
post #100 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc View Post

Well I did get mine, but I still did not go through it all, but I have to say I do like it.

There are some first for me with this:
1. My 1st Onkyo component
2. My first time routing all video through HDMI from an A/V reciever
3. My 1st time having a PC-like on-screen disply through an A/V reciever

Now my dislikes:

The control is huge!

What I did not expect:
1. For the control to be so huge, but have a joystick on it.
2. I did not expect the video quaility to be so good
3. It looks better in my home than it did at CC
4. The simplicity of the HDMI hook up
5. The sound to be clearly better than the Denon that I had(AVR-1906)
6. The Onkyo brand to be this nice

What I like:
1. I did not think that I would like the idea of routing all video through the reciever, but after the experience, I do like it - in fact I love it!

2. I was thinking of going with the X-Box 360 with HDMI, but after hooking it up to the 705, I guess I can save money and the trouble of doing that. The 705 made the 360 a lot cleaner, brighter and clearer. Almost as if the 360 had it's own HDMI output. This is the best thing I have noticed.

3. The sound is robust and strong. It may even sound better than my old Sony ES. It could be due to the 192/24 DAC's which the SOny ES and Denon did not have. However, the bass hits harder and It may have me wondering how the higher models would sound...

4. The disply on the unit looks nicer in the home and not as lame as I had though or saw in CC. I just wished that the logos were bigger. I like seeing the logos light up.

5. For the first time, I feel that it is ok to hook up other units to an A/V reciever as a switcher/command center. I admit I only have a 360 and an old D-VHS deck which I have not hooked up yet. I don't think that I will hook up an HDMI cable box. I just don't like having to turn on the reciever just to watch regular TV.

So I can say that I am a happy camper and I did not hear any clicking noise so far. I am also thinking that this should do it on the reciever end, although I still have a Marantz with an HD Radio tuner on my mind. The 705 actually exceeded my expectations.

Those are pretty much all my 1st impressions too. This is also my 1st time with Onkyo gear and I was impressed. I mean there are short coming but for 550 bucks this sucker packs one hell of a punch that left my last generation receiver in the dust (sound quality wise). I am sure I would have liked the Onkyo 905 better in retrospect but for 2 grand I could get a whole lot of receiver from any company I chose.

I also agree that remote is waaaay over sized (but joystick kinda cool). Most of the 1st wave of owners here on AVS forums that bought the 705 all went to amazon.com and bought a Logitech Harmony 880/890 remote. Since then I finally retired 11 remotes in my house and am now just down to 1 remote with no loss of functionality or ease of use. Definitely a cool remote for the price if you are looking for one.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #101 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid71 View Post

woots,
OT - do/can you use banana plugs for the satellites? What gauge are you running? The (very few) reviews I've read suggest the sub was somewhat finnicky to setup. What has your experience been?

Would you mind commenting more on the quality and sound your KEF's. I'm about ready to jump. Just wanted the final shove.

What was the name of the site you got the extra two satellites from?

Sorry for going OT.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Skid

I use banana plugs on my receiver side but not on the speaker side I have these speakers wall mounted so no room for banana plugs. They are sealed over on the back and dont allow for banana plugs out of the box.... BUT....Someone said on forums before you can pop the cap off the back and use a banana plugs on them (use sharp knife and pop it off).

The sub is no big deal to hook up.. hunt the web for the pdf manual if you have problems ..... the sub is called KEF HTB2 if you wanna google info on it. This is a editors commentary on the sub that comes with 3005 setup. http://reviews.cnet.com/subwoofers/k...-32317403.html

The satellites to the KEF 3005 set on its own are called 3001's. I bought my extra 2 speakers here. A scratch and dent site. http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi

One was scratched on the foot and one was perfect... its random what you will get from them, but this company seems pretty good and another user here on forums got a whole kef 3005 set here without problems. There stock fluctuates on KEF speakers but (right now) it seems they got stock again of the black and silver kef 3001 sats.

I was unsure if mini satellites were the right choice for me. Lets face it small speakers get no love. However, what sold me.. is when i found out what I was looking at is not 1 speaker in each little pod. Its 2 speakers. A lil patent they deemed "Uni-Q" where they sit a tweeter inside the center cone of the mid range speaker. Also 100 watts handling and 80hz on the low end is what sold me. Once I plugged them in... I was blown away for the amount of sound they make. I think if I was using these in a big vaulted ceiling living room I would opt to go another route and get big towers (and another higher powered amp). However, I used these in a medium sized bedroom and they are WAY loud for this space. The sub is surprising with its bass response, I thought it was going to suck. I find the need to crank up my Auyessey adjusted subwoofer db setting to get the extra kick though (like everyone else).... but this sub you really need to do it.

They don't have a small sound and when you get a really loud punchy movie the sub and sats come together great. A VERY movie-esque experience. At around 75% volume I cant carry on a conversation without screaming.

I love these speakers but there are A LOT of quality speakers out there. I bought these for several reasons (in order of importance). Easily wall mountable (there base can be used as a wall mount bracket or foot stand either or), CNET rated them higher then any other speaker setup, they look great which makes it easier to wall mount them, there power handling was PERFECT for the 705, they were small speakers which I needed for my bedroom theater setup.

I would say carefully ask yourself if these are similar reasons why you want those speakers. Also some other users have told me on forums that the KEF 2005's sound nearly as good and are 1/3 the price tag (I would like to hear them to confirm that.. thats only regret if I have any...they certainly share the same specs but their physical speaker design is very different, but both do use Uni-Q)

If I had to score these speakers myself.

Sound Clarity 9/10
Sound Imaging 9/10
Bass Strength 7/10
Looks 10/10
Overall: 8.75

This is KEF's site if you wanna read more http://www.kef.com/ht3000/index.htm

I dropped about 1800 bucks on a 7.1 setup of these speakers. For that money a LOT of other options can be bought. Be sure you do your homework so you are happy for the money you spend. Having said that... I LOVE these speakers paired with the 705... amazing sound.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #102 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetscom View Post

kplex, thanks for annswering my question. Are most frequencies for HD-DVD movies at 48 khz then? I've tried transformers, batman begins, superman returns, matrix, and they all show 48 khz? Do I have to change some settings to get even better sound resolution?

No, that's the best studio's have to offer right now.
post #103 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Toshiba HD-A2's manual says that for HDMI it can output 5.1ch PCM if the format is 48 or 96kHz. This is for TrueHD.

Lew

I said, can't transmit those "bitstreams". The bitstreams get decoded on your A2 then sent as PCM. Your receiver has no way of knowing if the original bitstream was DTS, TrueHD, DD+ or whatever.

It's like if I download a zip file containing a couple MP3s and the email you the unzipped mp3's as attachments. Can you tell what the name of the original zip file was? How big it was? Can you even tell that they were zipped when I downloaded them? No. It's the same with the audio codecs.

You're getting TrueHD sound. However the TrueHD decoder in your receiver never gets used and the TrueHD light never comes on.
post #104 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was wrong about Direct mode, it's not Stereo.
post #105 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lew

OWNER FAQ Question 2 and 3.. talks about this issue. Read this for more information if you need further understanding on the topic (post 1 of this thread)

Quote:

It's like if I download a zip file containing a couple MP3s and the email you the unzipped mp3's as attachments. Can you tell what the name of the original zip file was? How big it was? Can you even tell that they were zipped when I downloaded them? No. It's the same with the audio codecs.

Kplex is dead on... this is a very accurate comparison of how decoding works.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #106 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrage000 View Post

Haven't heard of your problem before....I have never played CDs to my Onkyo (I have a PS3 and XA2(but only for the last week)). Does it drop the sound with any other things (movies etc). What about an MP3 cd(not sure if the A2 plays these?)? Do you have another CD player to connect (like PS3 or something) to see if its an A2 problem or a receiver problem. I can listen to mp3s on my PS3 thru the 705 with the TV off no problem.

Thanks for the reply Arbitage.
Quote:

Does it drop the sound with any other things (movies etc).

No. HD and SD movies pass the audio perfectly. But, if I turn off the TV while playing a movie the audio resets every 5 seconds (HDMI Handshake?)
Quote:

Do you have another CD player to connect (like PS3 or something) to see if its an A2 problem or a receiver problem.

Yes, but it is does not have HDMI out and this seems like an HDMI issue... I can play MP3's through the AUX input with no problems.

Looks like I will just need to leave the TV on while listening to CD's. I use the power save feature in the 5080 to turn the monitor off

Thanks again,
Matt
post #107 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 03:07 PM

Starting a couple of weeks ago in the old thread, I posted about a continuing subwoofer problem -- although plugged into the right port, and although the sub does NOT have an auto/always on feature, the sub would audibly click off and stop working after several minutes of not receiving a signal. At that point, even if there should be a signal going forward (meaning, I can play part of a program, not hear anything through the sub, wake the sub up, play the same part of the program, and hear bass through the sub), it will not work until it receives a fairly "aggressive" signal -- a test tone, explosion audio, etc. When it is "awake", I can hear a low (not disturbing) hum, even if there is no signal. When it is "asleep", there's no hum, no nothing.

The sub company strongly suggested that it was a problem with the 705. I exchanged the 705 and the problem continued. At that point, I exchanged the sub. The problem continued. To repeat, because this is really weird, I have exchanged BOTH the sub AND the 705, and it continues to work in a manner that the sub company says is not normal for this sub.

At this point, I expect there's nothing left to do but try another brand of sub. But if anybody (Jeremy, I'm looking at you!) has any ideas, please let me know!

To make matters worse, since I exchanged the 705, I'm having an odd remote issue -- it works to turn the 705 on, but then fails to work consistently for about a minute, even though my Tivo remote, which is programmed to control the receiver volume, still works during this time. I can't pick another input, or make the setup button work, and the remote indicator on the receiver does not light up during this period -- the indicator on the remote itself does light up. The store wants me to bring the remote in for testing, but I'm guessing that will just extend the pain, and that the unit needs to be exchanged -- again.
post #108 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smgord View Post

Starting a couple of weeks ago in the old thread, I posted about a continuing subwoofer problem -- although plugged into the right port, and although the sub does NOT have an auto/always on feature, the sub would audibly click off and stop working after several minutes of not receiving a signal. At that point, even if there should be a signal going forward, it will not work until it receives a fairly "aggressive" signal -- a test tone, explosion audio, etc. When it is "awake", I can hear a low (not disturbing) hum, even if there is no signal. When it is "asleep", there's no hum, no nothing.

The sub company strongly suggested that it was a problem with the 705. I exchanged the 705 and the problem continued. At that point, I exchanged the sub. The problem continued. To repeat, because this is really weird, I have exchanged BOTH the sub AND the 705, and it continues to work in a manner that the sub company says is not normal for this sub.

At this point, I expect there's nothing left to do but try another brand of sub. But if anybody (Jeremy, I'm looking at you!) has any ideas, please let me know!

To make matters worse, since I exchanged the 705, I'm having an odd remote issue -- it works to turn the 705 on, but then fails to work consistently for about a minute, even though my Tivo remote, which is programmed to control the receiver volume, still works during this time. I can't pick another input, or make the setup button work, and the remote indicator on the receiver does not light up during this period -- the indicator on the remote itself does light up. The store wants me to bring the remote in for testing, but I'm guessing that will just extend the pain, and that the unit needs to be exchanged -- again.

Sorry to hear you having all these problems. Whats the brand of sub you are using thats having problems???

These subwoofers get a lot of praise on the forums http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-isd.cfm
This is there ultra series (nice wood finishes on these) http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb13ultra.cfm

Little pricey but they will pack one hell of punch... just be careful your couch doesn't vibrate down the hallway

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #109 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

woots,
I have learned a ton after lurking on the 705 thread. Choosing a receiver that matched my needs and financial considerations was, believe it or not was relatively easy. Choosing a side on the format war was painless (Sammy BD-UP5000 - **if** it does what it says on paper). Speaker selection however I have found was/is the most difficult.

After choosing the receiver, speaker selection gets a little easier. Since the girlfriend gets speaker approval, (since she is in charge of decorating) that helped a little more. Bigger amp, towers, etc. will have to wait for the HT basement. But for our needs, monetary concerns, decorating restrictions and power matching the KEF's seem to be the right fit.

Thanks so much for your extensive review. If I pull the trigger now I can get the whole 7.1 for 1,300. Looks like Santa may come early. :0)

What gauge speaker wire are you running?

Back on topic.
Thanks for the leeway folks.

Skid

Quote:
Originally Posted by woots View Post

I use banana plugs on my receiver side but not on the speaker side I have these speakers wall mounted so no room for banana plugs. They are sealed over on the back and dont allow for banana plugs out of the box.... BUT....Someone said on forums before you can pop the cap off the back and use a banana plugs on them (use sharp knife and pop it off).

The sub is no big deal to hook up.. hunt the web for the pdf manual if you have problems ..... the sub is called KEF HTB2 if you wanna google info on it. This is a editors commentary on the sub that comes with 3005 setup. http://reviews.cnet.com/subwoofers/k...-32317403.html

The satellites to the KEF 3005 set on its own are called 3001's. I bought my extra 2 speakers here. A scratch and dent site. http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi

One was scratched on the foot and one was perfect... its random what you will get from them, but this company seems pretty good and another user here on forums got a whole kef 3005 set here without problems. There stock fluctuates on KEF speakers but (right now) it seems they got stock again of the black and silver kef 3001 sats.

I was unsure if mini satellites were the right choice for me. Lets face it small speakers get no love. However, what sold me.. is when i found out what I was looking at is not 1 speaker in each little pod. Its 2 speakers. A lil patent they deemed "Uni-Q" where they sit a tweeter inside the center cone of the mid range speaker. Also 100 watts handling and 80hz on the low end is what sold me. Once I plugged them in... I was blown away for the amount of sound they make. I think if I was using these in a big vaulted ceiling living room I would opt to go another route and get big towers (and another higher powered amp). However, I used these in a medium sized bedroom and they are WAY loud for this space. The sub is surprising with its bass response, I thought it was going to suck. I find the need to crank up my Auyessey adjusted subwoofer db setting to get the extra kick though (like everyone else).... but this sub you really need to do it.

They don't have a small sound and when you get a really loud punchy movie the sub and sats come together great. A VERY movie-esque experience. At around 75% volume I cant carry on a conversation without screaming.

I love these speakers but there are A LOT of quality speakers out there. I bought these for several reasons (in order of importance). Easily wall mountable (there base can be used as a wall mount bracket or foot stand either or), CNET rated them higher then any other speaker setup, they look great which makes it easier to wall mount them, there power handling was PERFECT for the 705, they were small speakers which I needed for my bedroom theater setup.

I would say carefully ask yourself if these are similar reasons why you want those speakers. Also some other users have told me on forums that the KEF 2005's sound nearly as good and are 1/3 the price tag (I would like to hear them to confirm that.. thats only regret if I have any...they certainly share the same specs but their physical speaker design is very different, but both do use Uni-Q)

If I had to score these speakers myself.

Sound Clarity 9/10
Sound Imaging 9/10
Bass Strength 7/10
Looks 10/10
Overall: 8.75

This is KEF's site if you wanna read more http://www.kef.com/ht3000/index.htm

I dropped about 1800 bucks on a 7.1 setup of these speakers. For that money a LOT of other options can be bought. Be sure you do your homework so you are happy for the money you spend. Having said that... I LOVE these speakers paired with the 705... amazing sound.

BOTJ Member... Onk 705 FW 1.06
post #110 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hear you having all these problems. Whats the brand of sub you are using thats having problems???

These subwoofers get a lot of praise on the forums http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-isd.cfm
This is there ultra series (nice wood finishes on these) http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb13ultra.cfm

Little pricey but they will pack one hell of punch... just be careful your couch doesn't vibrate down the hallway

I've been using an Aperion S-8, which is their cheapest sub. I have to say that I also got a set of towers, a set of bookshelves and a center, and I've been happy with all of them, but the subwoofer ... not so much. I share a wall, so I'm not looking for a very expensive sub -- I've been thinking of the entry-level Hsu, which is about the same price as the S-8.
post #111 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Nor do I. Completely silent.

None here, either. Some people have the hum go away after swapping out the 705. My case was exactly the opposite. I had both subwoofer and phono input hum with my previous Pioneer receiver. My 705 has no hum from either, which was a very pleasant surprise.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #112 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

woots,
I have learned a ton after lurking on the 705 thread. Choosing a receiver that matched my needs and financial considerations was, believe it or not was relatively easy. Choosing a side on the format war was painless (Sammy BD-UP5000 - **if** it does what it says on paper). Speaker selection however I have found was/is the most difficult.

After choosing the receiver, speaker selection gets a little easier. Since the girlfriend gets speaker approval, (since she is in charge of decorating) that helped a little more. Bigger amp, towers, etc. will have to wait for the HT basement. But for our needs, monetary concerns, decorating restrictions and power matching the KEF's seem to be the right fit.

Thanks so much for your extensive review. If I pull the trigger now I can get the whole 7.1 for 1,300. Looks like Santa may come early. :0)

What gauge speaker wire are you running?

Back on topic.
Thanks for the leeway folks.

Skid

12 gauge monoprice speaker cable.. with monoprice banana clips.

Its overkill.. but whatever... everything i do in life is overkill it seems. I guess 14 guage would have been more then enough... speaker cable is so cheap on monoprice i bought like 250 feet of it and was able to set this 7.1 up properly.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #113 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowskip View Post

Hi guys,

I have a question: my 705 is connected to my Mitsubishi HC5000 using a hdmi cable. My Wii is connected to the 705 using the official component cable.

When I play on my VP, the signal is first upscaled to 720p by the 705 and then upscaled a second time to 1080p by the Reon chip of the HC5000.

The result is that the picture is looking like crap.

Is there a way to send the Wii signal to the VP using the HDMI cable without upscalling it to 720p (and let the VP do all the job)?

Up
post #114 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

woots,
Choosing a receiver that matched my needs and financial considerations was, believe it or not was relatively easy.

Speaker selection however I have found was/is the most difficult.

I agree this is the hardest part of the equation. Not a lot of places to go give comparative reviews on speakers and even if they did you probably aren't using exact same receiver as the reviewer.

Also not a lot of places to go locally to hear various setups in action (all of which are on the normal homework list). You usually find places that have 1 or 2 of the speaker types on your list only.

Going on specs alone doesn't say much cause most of them are all really similar (within each size and quality caliber of speaker categories). Which leaves various unique patent technologies and unique materials used in the speaker design up in the air (as whether they make a difference in the final sound is mystery unless you hear it 1st hand). Lastly, Home theater is drowned in speaker options within every price range.... so the options seem endless..... yes its tough to find what you need.

BUT.. approach it as objectively as possible and it gets easier.

-Best place to start is know how much power you can afford (on the amp side) receivers have other considerations to factor in these days, like does it support all your video needs (so its a great place to start here and build a system around it)
-Then look at speakers that support that power range (within your budget... cause lets face it price is a primary consideration).
-Know how much space you have... (bookshelf, towers, mini speakers) (Installation limitations can make this process a lot easier to narrow down)
-Then stick to well known quality brand names that have a reputation of quality and respect.... (little startup companies may have the best speaker in the world but its random luck if you cant get any reviews to know how good they are, or demo them in real life)
-Then compare specs (and reviews) among the last final contestants on your list
-Go demo your final picks in real life at the store (if you can)
-Then leave aesthetic design / brand loyalty / gut reactions .....as the final deciding factor (these are the least important)

Its hard to narrow things down.. but its easier if you stay logical about it. Whatever you do, don't pull the trigger on an impulse purchase without doing your homework or you have regrets in the end and returning speakers can be a royal pain in the arse cause of the size/weight/packaging factor.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #115 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:

OWNER FAQ Question 2 and 3.. talks about this issue. Read this for more information if you need further understanding on the topic (post 1 of this thread)

Thanks for the link...that was my understanding of how it worked but someone else was saying the A2 wouldn't decode the TrueHD although it made no sense. To be sure we are in sync, if I am playing a HD-DVD on my HD-A2 player, I don't need TrueHD in the receiver as the data will just pass right through, correct?

FYI, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 705..hope it doesn't pop, hum, buzz, and heat my bedroom up to oven temp

Thanks again everyone!

Lew
post #116 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the link...that was my understanding of how it worked but someone else was saying the A2 wouldn't decode the TrueHD although it made no sense. To be sure we are in sync, if I am playing a HD-DVD on my HD-A2 player, I don't need TrueHD in the receiver as the data will just pass right through, correct?

FYI, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 705..hope it doesn't pop, hum, buzz, and heat my bedroom up to oven temp

Thanks again everyone!

Lew

Here is the A2 website info.
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=HD-A2

it does True HD decoding.. it just wont do DTS HD MA (master audio) it does DTS HD core only. This is typical with last gen HD players... only a couple out right now can even do DTS HD MA so no worries.

Yea your receiver will likely say "MultiChannel" on the front when you stream PCM to it. When you click info on your player it should say that its playing back in True HD... this is the only place to verify your getting True HD... and TRUST ME... if you never heard True HD on a next gen receiver (even via PCM) you will be sitting there with a happy blank stare amazed by the clarity. HD audio formats sound so so so amazing .. especially 1st time you hear them.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #117 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks again everyone!

Lew

The A2 will decode TrueHD and pass it on to the 705 as multichannel 5.1. So you will not see TrueHD display on the 705. You will see multichannel on the 705. If you want the 705 to display TrueHD, you have to buy the A35. This player can either decode TrueHD or have the 705 do the decoding.
post #118 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

All i want for christmas is my Samsung BD-UP 5000

I am starting to seriously Jones for this player.. I have been waiting a long time for it to come out then it got pushed back .. I hope it comes out as promised.

Some reviews on test models people have been using... has me drooling!

http://hdguru.com/?p=184

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1103

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...yer-314480.php

photos of it:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/grope/han...est-282569.php

I think I have turned into a fanboy.. and I never used it.

I just hope this sucker lives up to all its expectations for 800 bucks it better.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #119 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:

Here is the A2 website info.
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=HD-A2

it does True HD decoding.. it just wont do DTS HD MA (master audio) it does DTS HD core only. This is typical with last gen HD players... only a couple out right now can even do DTS HD MA so no worries.

Yea your receiver will likely say "MultiChannel" on the front when you stream PCM to it. When you click info on your player it should say that its playing back in True HD... this is the only place to verify your getting True HD... and TRUST ME... if you never heard True HD on a next gen receiver (even via PCM) you will be sitting there with a happy blank stare amazed by the clarity. HD audio formats sound so so so amazing .. especially 1st time you hear them.

Thanks, I never had any doubt it could decode it.... I set up the player to output DTS (think there were only two choices) as I didn't know I could pass through TrueHD. I am not talking now about the 705 I just ordered, but my other (main) system which has a Yammy 1500. With it I have to run component video and optical audio as it isn't HDMI nor is the TV I have it connected to. I bought a second A2 at the same time for my bedroom system which has a HDMI TV and will have the new 705.

Thanks for all your help!

Lew
post #120 of 8886 Old 11-10-2007, 07:16 PM

Has anyone set up the 705 with DVI from the cablebox to the 705 AND optical sound out from the cablebox to the 705? If so, does this setup work well?

My Time Warner cablebox does not have a HDMI connection but does have DVI and optical.

From Onkyo website:
"If the cable/satellite has the options of HDMI or DVI outputs, use those connections instead of the component video. The HDMI connection will allow audio and video signals to be sent thought a single connection. The DVI connection is for video only. You will need a DVI to HDMI adaptor plus a separate audio connection to go from the cable/satellite box the receiver for sound."

Want to make sure I get all the correct wiring before my 705 arrives on November 13th...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page