Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutley View Post

I reread through most of this thread this weekend and didn't see the answer to this question so fogive me if it is here and I missed it.

Was there ever a solution found to running a Wii in 16:9 via component into the 705 and out via HDMI? Whether I have the upscaling on or off the Wii only displays 4:3 when I run it through the 705. I read through some discussion about this issue, but didn't ever find a real answer. Is this just a limitation of the video processor on the 705?

I have it setup this way and i have no problem displaying it 16:9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged68 View Post

I wonder what the difference is then? Maybe I'll try one of the other component inputs and see if that changes anything.

Anyone else have component from a Wii into the 705 going out via HDMI and displaying 16:9 successfully?
post #1563 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

i have a question for any of the sound gurus. i am going to be running 3 subs. 2 are going to be stacked in one corner, and the other will be up front near the mains.should i set phase on the one near the mains to 0, and the stacked on other end of room to 180 before running auddesy? would it be better to only auddesy one, and manually set other 2? havent seen any info on auddesy with multiple subs. any answers?

The issue is with the different length paths that it will take for the sound to get from the two subwoofer locations to the listener. Sound travels at about 1000 fps, the upper cutoff frequency for the subwoofer is about 100Hz, which means that at this frequency, it takes about 10ft for one wavelength of the sound. The signals from the two subwoofers will cancel when the difference in the paths is 1/2 wavelength, or about 5 ft. Therefore, if the difference in distance from the listener to each of the two subwoofer locations is 5ft, then reversing the phase will work at 100hz At other frequencies, or other locations, all bets are off. A delay which equalizes for the difference in paths could be a solution for ONE listening location, but as soon as you start wanting to have more than one location to listen in, that becomes an issue as well.
post #1564 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged68 View Post

Quote:

I wonder what the difference is then? Maybe I'll try one of the other component inputs and see if that changes anything.

Anyone else have component from a Wii into the 705 going out via HDMI and displaying 16:9 successfully?

Mine is setup that way and works fine.
post #1565 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 01:06 PM

I'm new and this is my first post. I'll confess that I've read the FAQ but not the entire thread.

Here's my set-up: Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD, PS3, Onkyo 705, Samsung HLS6767WX/XAA 67" TV. HDMI 1.3 connections on the HD-DVD and the PS3. Component and optical out from the cable box. HDMI 1.3 to the T.V.

I love the 705 but its not perfect. The most annoying problem I'm experiencing is this: During play-back (regardless of the source) I will occasionaly get a second or two of black screen (audio is still present). When the picture returns, the picture setting on my T.V. (i.e. "Dynamic", "Standard", "Movie", or "Custom") is re-set to dynamic which is less than ideal for my taste. The T.V. setting also re-sets itself everytime I turn it off or change the source. Why is this? It did not do it prior to running everything through the 705.

Second problem: I used to run the HD Cable box to the tv via a DVI to HDMI cable. The 705 does not allow this. When I try, it works for a few seconds and then goes black. I'm less than impressed with the picture from the HD cable box running through the 705 via component cables. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
post #1566 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 01:18 PM

Judge

If the HD-DVD and PS3 are not giving you any issues with their HDMI going through the 705, would it be possible to route the HDMI out from the cable box directly to the second HDMI input on your TV, and route the digital audio out from the cable box to the 705?
post #1567 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauerwald View Post

Judge

If the HD-DVD and PS3 are not giving you any issues with their HDMI going through the 705, would it be possible to route the HDMI out from the cable box directly to the second HDMI input on your TV, and route the digital audio out from the cable box to the 705?

Yes, I could do that and that is my likley fix (which would mean purchasing a new longer DVI to HDMI cable). I was wanting to avoid that as it means more $ and it would be less friendly for my techno challenged wife!
post #1568 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post

I was wanting to avoid that as it means more $ and it would be less friendly for my techno challenged wife!

Won't help the $, but my techno challenged wife (which button do I press to watch a DVD?) loves our Logitec Harmony Remote. Once it is set up, there is one button for each activity, and the remote takes care of switching on the appropriate boxes, and setting inputs appropriately.

I feel your pain with the DVI-HDMI issues. The major benefit for HDMI is to allow the studios to prevent you from doing what you want to do with the equipment and software that you pay for.
post #1569 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauerwald View Post

Won't help the $, but my techno challenged wife (which button do I press to watch a DVD?) loves our Logitec Harmony Remote. Once it is set up, there is one button for each activity, and the remote takes care of switching on the appropriate boxes, and setting inputs appropriately.

My wife saw one of those and wants it, but that's a purchse for another day.

Any help on the spontaneous black screen followed by the resetting of my tv picture settings?
post #1570 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Jutley, did changing work? I have the same issue as you...Wii - component into Onkyo - HDMI out to TV - display is 4:3 and is shown as 480p.
post #1571 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 01:46 PM

No help on the resetting settings. HDMI is supposed to work with a handshaking protocol between the source (your cable box) and the destination (your TV). In this handshaking procedure, the source asks the destination what it is and what resolution it is capable of, and they two devices negotiate to determine what format to send things in (if sending it at all, some HDMI sources will refuse to send to a destination which they think might copy the material). My guess is that the DVI-HDMI conversion is confusing the TV, and it is trying to accommodate itself to what it sees as a confused source of data. You probably don't have the option, but an HDMI out cable box may work better.

Although I work as an engineer in the video industry (semiconductor), the consumer electronics side of things is relatively new to me. I just put in my first HT system and have been amazed by it (TX-SR705, Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-Ray player, TH42PZ700 TV, and SA 8300HD cable box, all connected via HDMI)
post #1572 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 01:49 PM

I've searched through the form for this, but forgive me if it's already answered. While I'm waiting for my 705 to come in, I've been drawing up wiring plans, and here is my question:

I will use the 705 for all of my movie watching inputs, (with 5.1 output) but would like to have my feed from DirectTV be either TV sound or 705 sounddepending on what we're watching. (For all I know, I may end up wanting the surround sound on for Daily Show, but I doubt it.) What is the easiest way to do this? Is there a second way that ensures higher quality audio and/or video?

Thanks in advance,

Alan
post #1573 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsab View Post

Jutley, did changing work? I have the same issue as you...Wii - component into Onkyo - HDMI out to TV - display is 4:3 and is shown as 480p.

Just thinking off the top of my head. Is your Wii set to "widescreen" in the Wii's setup menu?
post #1574 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanWf View Post

I've searched through the form for this, but forgive me if it's already answered. While I'm waiting for my 705 to come in, I've been drawing up wiring plans, and here is my question:

I will use the 705 for all of my movie watching inputs, (with 5.1 output) but would like to have my feed from DirectTV be either TV sound or 705 sound—depending on what we're watching. (For all I know, I may end up wanting the surround sound on for Daily Show, but I doubt it.) What is the easiest way to do this? Is there a second way that ensures higher quality audio and/or video?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Its a bit of a pain... you would have to go into the HDMI setup menu and turn HDMI Audio Out to ON, if you want it to go to your TV. Note that this also then includes the tv's audio support information (probably only stereo) in the EDID info in the HDMI handshake process, causing your source device to output its audio according to this lowest common denominator, potentially downgrading the audio it is outputting. Now if you intend to use your tv speakers, this isnt such a problem, as basically if they are only capable of 2 channel PCM or stereo or whatever, then the source sending this is no biggie. But you want to make sure that you turn HDMI Audio Out to OFF, if/when you want to use the onkyo and its speakers... otherwise your source may not decode the best audio formats. Alot of times people have trouble with their high def player not seemeing to send the best audi possible, is becuase they have turned HDMI Audio Out to ON - its a confusing name for this option, which should probably be called somehting like TV Audio Out or something. Personally i always use the onkyo speakers, even for news or daily shows etc, and just have the tv speakers muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswigginton View Post

Just thinking off the top of my head. Is your Wii set to "widescreen" in the Wii's setup menu?

Yes, I dont own a Wii but it sounds like a video settings issue on the Wii end... it seems with forced 720P mode, the widescreen isnt handled correctly, but there are plenty of people with the 705 set to AUTO who have said widescreen works correctly... What kind of video options does the Wii have? Can you choose output res as sending 480i would cause the 705 to deinterlace and upconvert to 480p HDMI out, whereas sending 480P would only be upconverting to HDMI out.

Edit: looking on wikipedia it says that it can output 480p (PAL/NTSC), 480i (NTSC) or 576i (PAL/SECAM). It would be useful for those who own a Wii and do/dont have widescreen problems to report whether theirs is PAL or NTSC version. For the PAL guys setting it to 576i _might_ actually get the 705 to upconvert to 720P even on AUTO setting (i believe auto means anything input at more than 480 will go up to 720P over HDMI) and since this is not using the secret menu FORCE option, it might handle widescreen correctly.
post #1575 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanWf View Post

I will use the 705 for all of my movie watching inputs, (with 5.1 output) but would like to have my feed from DirectTV be either TV sound or 705 sounddepending on what we're watching. (For all I know, I may end up wanting the surround sound on for Daily Show, but I doubt it.) What is the easiest way to do this? Is there a second way that ensures higher quality audio and/or video?

Run HDMI from the DirectTV box to the TV, and an optical cable from the DirectTV box to the receiver. When you want the 705 sound, just mute the tv and turn on the 705.

Glenn
post #1576 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 03:38 PM

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is it possible to connect the receiver to a TV with both an HDMI cable and component cable? I have a PS3 connected via HDMI and a xbox 360 connected via component to the 705. From the 705 I am connected to my TV via HDMI. The problem with this is when playing on the 360, the resolution on certain games are downconverted to 720p instead of 1080i/p. I checked the manual and for some reason it gave me the impression that if you set the HDMI out to 'Yes' then the picture will only be displayed thru HDMI and if you set it to 'No' then it would only display thru the components and not HDMI. Can someone please correct me if this is wrong?

Thanks.
post #1577 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsab View Post

lawsab,

I just hooked the Wii up to the 705 this past weekend. Before then I had it hooked up directly to the TV with component cables and 16:9 was fine. One night soon (busy this week with Chrsitmas activities) I'll mess around with it more and hopefully figure out what the deal is.

I'd like to make this work through the 705 since that's one of the reasons I bought it. It seem that it is a pretty simple setup so I don't know why it works for some and not others.

For those of you who have a Wii running through the 705 and are successful with 16:9, would you mind telling me which component input you are using on the 705?

Thanks...
post #1578 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

lawsab,

I just hooked the Wii up to the 705 this past weekend. Before then I had it hooked up directly to the TV with component cables and 16:9 was fine. One night soon (busy this week with Chrsitmas activities) I'll mess around with it more and hopefully figure out what the deal is.

I'd like to make this work through the 705 since that's one of the reasons I bought it. It seem that it is a pretty simple setup so I don't know why it works for some and not others.

For those of you who have a Wii running through the 705 and are successful with 16:9, would you mind telling me which component input you are using on the 705?

Thanks...

I edited my last post a fair bit, but you may have read it already so ill post it again...

Yes, I dont own a Wii but it sounds like a video settings issue on the Wii end... it seems with forced 720P mode, the widescreen isnt handled correctly, but there are plenty of people with the 705 set to AUTO who have said widescreen works correctly... What kind of video options does the Wii have? Can you choose output res as sending 480i would cause the 705 to deinterlace and upconvert to 480p HDMI out, whereas sending 480P would only be upconverting to HDMI out.

Edit: looking on wikipedia it says that it can output 480p (PAL/NTSC), 480i (NTSC) or 576i (PAL/SECAM). It would be useful for those who own a Wii and do/dont have widescreen problems to report whether theirs is PAL or NTSC version. For the PAL guys setting it to 576i _might_ actually get the 705 to upconvert to 720P even on AUTO setting (i believe auto means anything input at more than 480 will go up to 720P over HDMI) and since this is not using the secret menu FORCE option, it might handle widescreen correctly.
post #1579 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is it possible to connect the receiver to a TV with both an HDMI cable and component cable? I have a PS3 connected via HDMI and a xbox 360 connected via component to the 705. From the 705 I am connected to my TV via HDMI. The problem with this is when playing on the 360, the resolution on certain games are downconverted to 720p instead of 1080i/p. I checked the manual and for some reason it gave me the impression that if you set the HDMI out to 'Yes' then the picture will only be displayed thru HDMI and if you set it to 'No' then it would only display thru the components and not HDMI. Can someone please correct me if this is wrong?

Thanks.

Yes you can run both HDMI and component to your TV simultaneously. Component video is always passed through, even if HDMI Monitor Out is ON. What that setting does is choose whether upconverting is done to HDMI, or only to component. For example with it OFF, composite/svideo gets upconverted to go out via component outputs. With it on, composite/svideo and component get upconverted to HDMI. But in all cases the original inputs are also passed straight through to their original outputs as well (so you could also run svideo or composite directly to tv in addition to HDMI and component, if you wanted/needed to).
post #1580 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks...

I have mine as Game / TV on Component In 3.
post #1581 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 View Post

Yes you can run both HDMI and component to your TV simultaneously. Component video is always passed through, even if HDMI Monitor Out is ON. What that setting does is choose whether upconverting is done to HDMI, or only to component. For example with it OFF, composite/svideo gets upconverted to go out via component outputs. With it on, composite/svideo and component get upconverted to HDMI. But in all cases the original inputs are also passed straight through to their original outputs as well (so you could also run svideo or composite directly to tv in addition to HDMI and component, if you wanted/needed to).

Thanks Scarecrow.
post #1582 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 05:55 PM

Anyone have any issues (or success) hooking this receiver up to an Olevia LCD TV via HDMI?

I have an Olevia 232, and am trying to view it hooked up to the 705 (inputs are component based -- so it is being trasncoded), but I keep getting an 'Invalid Format' message on my screen. Everyone once in awhile, I will get a funky picture and kind of looks like the source material, and then it reverts back the 'Invalid Format'.

If I hook the TV straight up to one of the sources via HDMI, it works great.

Any thoughts?
post #1583 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post

Anyone have any issues (or success) hooking this receiver up to an Olevia LCD TV via HDMI?

I have an Olevia 232, and am trying to view it hooked up to the 705 (inputs are component based -- so it is being trasncoded), but I keep getting an 'Invalid Format' message on my screen. Everyone once in awhile, I will get a funky picture and kind of looks like the source material, and then it reverts back the 'Invalid Format'.

If I hook the TV straight up to one of the sources via HDMI, it works great.

Any thoughts?

If your sources have HDMI ports, why are you connecting them to your receiver with component cables? But since you are connecting your sources with component cables, why aren't you using a component connection to your TV?
post #1584 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

If your sources have HDMI ports, why are you connecting them to your receiver with component cables? But since you are connecting your sources with component cables, why aren't you using a component connection to your TV?

Because I am feeding 3 TV's off the receiver -- 2 that only have component (which I use a component splitter for) and then the 232 which is in a spot in the house where I ran an HDMI cable to.

So, I have to use component inputs so I get component output for the two older CRT's, and I only ran an HDMI cable to where the 232 is.

I was really counting on the HDMI conversion to happen -- it was what finally sold me getting the 705 to my wife.

Also, I will admit that I am some what afraid the issue might be the 75' HDMI cable I am using. However, it does have a signal booster in the line and works great when hooked up to the sources alone.
post #1585 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post

Because I am feeding 3 TV's off the receiver -- 2 that only have component (which I use a component splitter for) and then the 232 which is in a spot in the house where I ran an HDMI cable to.

So, I have to use component inputs so I get component output for the two older CRT's, and I only ran an HDMI cable to where the 232 is.

I was really counting on the HDMI conversion to happen -- it was what finally sold me getting the 705 to my wife.

Also, I will admit that I am some what afraid the issue might be the 75' HDMI cable I am using. However, it does have a signal booster in the line and works great when hooked up to the sources alone.

Does the OSD come up on the Olevia? If not, make sure you have HDMI Monitor turned on. If it already is, carry the Olevia over to the receiver and test it with a shorter HDMI cable to see if the cable is the problem.
post #1586 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

Does the OSD come up on the Olevia? If so, it's not a conversion problem. If not, make sure you have HDMI Monitor turned on. If it is, carry the Olevia over to the receiver and test it with a shorter HDMI cable to see if the cable is the problem.

The OSD will come up fine. My next step is to take the TV over closer, but I have been holding off doing that since I have to get it off the wall mount.

Since the OSD is working, does that lean itself to being a handshake issue or a cable length issue?
post #1587 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 08:24 PM

First time on the forum: Just got my 705 a week ago and everything seems to be working great, however, I can't seem to get the on-screen displays to show up. Everything else, including DVDs through the receiver work and sound great, but no on-screen display. I've run through the troubleshooting steps, but no luck. Any advice? Could it be old or bad HDMI cables? My HDMI cables are about 2-3 years old. Thanks in advance for any help!
post #1588 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 08:43 PM

Yes, you have to assign the HDMI cable to output TV to have it show up. That and be on the right input on your TV.

Happened to me too the first time it plugged everything in. Hit Rec'v/Setup and look at the display window to prgm your inputs/outputs.
post #1589 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnd Joe View Post

Yes, you have to assign the HDMI cable to output TV to have it show up. That and be on the right input on your TV.

Happened to me too the first time it plugged everything in. Hit Rec'v/Setup and look at the display window to prgm your inputs/outputs.

Thanks for the quick response, Cnd Joe. Appreciate it, but didn't work. Seems strange that audio and video signals would come through OK, but not the OSD. Also, I can only get video when the HDMI Audio is set to "On". Related? Thanks again.
post #1590 of 8897 Old 12-17-2007, 10:29 PM

Thanks Glenn and Scarecrow. There was a UPS delivery attempt today, so with any luck I'll have it tomorrow to start setting up. I'm an old tweekaholic from Stereo days, but this is my first foray into HT, and to say that the set up choices seem daunting is a real understatement. I've picked up quite a bit on these forums.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr705 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page