HK 247, Onkyo 605, Yamaha V661... confused - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm confused on what to get, and after many hours of research on the forums I don't feel any closer to an answer. Here is my current setup:

Hitachi PJ-TX100 Ultravision (720p projector)
Toshiba HD-A3
Oppo DV-971H
Denon AVR-1705
xBox 360

First, I just bought two Infinity Beta 50s and an Infinity C360 to replace my front speakers. I was worried that my 1705 wouldn't be enough to really drive these. Secondly, since I just recently got the HD-DVD player I want it's sound to be all it can be, so this is another reason I am considering a receiver upgrade.

As I understand it here are some of the big issues (the ones I care about at least) with the AVRs I am looking at:

Harman Kardon AVR-247 - No LFE 10dB boost, and upconverts some signals to 720p poorly (will this effect me?)

Onkyo 605 - lesser SQ compared to the HK, and what else?

Yamaha RX-V661 - doesn't process/upconvert signals (is this a bad thing, or why would I care?) lesser SQ compared to HK

I am not sure which direction to go, or which of these would be best for me. They all fall within my budget of $300-500 and seem to be good options. Considering my hardware I am just trying to find the one that will work with my display and speakers best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

You could get the avr you feel has best features you want for the price for sound, & get a video switcher & converter to handle video to projector.
As for what avr will convert all video sources correctly, I think it's unfortunately still a crap shoot. May work fine for you, or not.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-15-2007, 03:42 AM

I would be worried about the reliability of the HK. I took 2 of them back within a week for problems. Loved the SQ of the unit though when it did work. Its the most gourgoues reciever as well in my opinion.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page