Help on Receiver Decision - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-15-2007, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm trying to figure out what receiver I'd like for my home theater and just cannot decide. Here is a breakdown of where I'm at.

Setup:
PDP-6010FD
Explorer 8300HD DVR
Xbox360 (with hdmi)
Wii
BD-UP5000 (at later date)
Media Streamer (with hdmi, at later date)
Pronto TSU9600 or equivalent (at later date)
2.1 transitioning to 5.1 and then 7.1 later

Wants:
4 hdmi
1080p
possibly decoders for true-hd/dts-ma depending on streamer
output wii upscaled over hdmi
ability to query data through rs-232 (for tsu9600)

I will probably use the system for 60% movies/tv, 30% gaming, 10% music. So definitely heavy on the HT side as opposed to musical. The video portion is important to me, but honestly I'm not that dissappointed in the 6010 upscaling for SD content so I assume that even the Faroudja DCDi would be good, though a Reon might be better. The 875/905 black levels concerned me, but I think they have a firmware fix for it now.

The options I am considering are denon 3808/4308, onkyo 875/905, pioneer vsx-94txh, yamaha 1800/3800, and Sony STR-DA5300ES. I realize this is a lot of choices, but I think a lot of receivers will suffice. Finding the best one is another story. The OSD over 1080p hdmi is pretty cool, but I might be able to display any OSD info I would need on the TSU9600 eliminating the need for it....though it still might be nice to have.

So any thoughts on what the best way to go is?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-15-2007, 12:00 PM

I too was faced with this and originaly bought an Onkyo 805 but ran into lip syncing, HDMI switching taking 2-3secs whenever it went from movie to commercial or any switching of audio, and popping noises from brand new Klipsch speakers. I didnt know the Onkyos were having issues at all then I found this website when doing a search on lip syncing since that really bugged me with the Onkyo. I then wanted to upgrade to the 875 or 905 but found out that they too have same problems. I found more problems with the Onkyos than any other brand. Then I found out the Denon is highly regarded with Pros. I talked to a couple CD producers and they recommended Denon without a doubt but Pioneers are more popular among the "less in the know croud". They also said their second choice if forced to make such a decision would be Yamaha but they personally wouldnt even consider anything less than top notch Denon. So I bought the Denon 3808 and couldnt be happier. The GUI is really nice and has every option known to man for "tweaking your audion." I found the audysee auto set up didnt suit my ear as well as it did on the Onkyo. but made a couple adjustments and now am very pleased and glad my Onky broke otherwise I would never have tried the Denon. I do know the pioneer 94 is very hot right now and sony isnt realy respected in the Audiophile world as much as the others. Overall I have to say the Denon 3808 offers quit a lot for the money. I originaly thought the GUI wasnt realy going to be very important but if your planning on Internet Music and constantly tweaking your audio and playing around to get the "Perfect Sound" Then the Denon 3808 and up is perfect. I just would waste my time or money right now in the Onkyos. So my advice would be stick with a Denon or Yamaha if you dont want any troubles. Also The Firmware Updated on the Denon 3808 is really easy to use in the GUI and ensures me that Ill always have the latest firmware along with downloaded extra features if I ever need them. Its easier to download firmware updates directly to the receiver than to have to send your in or order a CD from the company and load it over your network. This was a major issue for me after reading about all the firmware updates people were having to get to smooth out the bugs. for example I called Pioneer and the Customer service agent admitted to them recalling all their elite models to be updated and confirmed this with the Best Buy Clerk. Best buy said they had to send the Pioneers back 3 time already. So I recommend a receiver thats easy to update and again the Denon is realy easy to do it. Just plug it in to your router or modem and click update firmware. Bingo you always have the latest bugs smoothed out. And new features added.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-16-2007, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Are there any upcoming receivers that have new features that people are looking forward to? I don't mind waiting a bit if I feel something is worth it.

Thanks for the info tschuler, I hadn't realized lip-synching was that bad in the Onkyo lineup for hdmi. Why do you say Pioneers are only popular in the "less in the know crowd?" It seems like a good receiver to me, unless there are some problems I'm not aware of.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-16-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewser View Post

Why do you say Pioneers are only popular in the "less in the know crowd?"

Because people can say anything on an internet forum, based on hearsay, anecdote, etc, whether it's true or not.

I have a Pioneer Elite 92THX which I am demo'ing, and it is an excellent receiver. Furthermore, I think there are a number of people "in the know" on this forum that think it is a great receiver. I have also recently demoed the Marantz 7002, which is a excellent receiver that you might want to add to your list. I hope to be demoing the Yamaha 1800 this weekend.

All of the receivers in this class are very good, and almost every one has some sort of "issue," including the Denon's (just check the "official" threads). Basically, they are all very close to one another and a lot of it comes down to personal preference (although personally the issues with the Onkyo's make me nervous.) But anybody you tells you one is "best" is usually telling you that because that's what they ended up with.

Best thing to do is consider what features are important to you, research here and on the manufacturers' websites, listen to them in the stores if you can (home is even better), and try to buy from a place that has return options.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-17-2007, 09:17 AM

Drewser....I agree with alot of the people that have posted so far. All these A/V recievers are all great choices and the best advice that you can get is to do what smitty has suggested.....go to a place where you can listen to these preferably do a side by side comparison. I have had the chance to sample the Yamaha RX-V1800, the Denon 2808CI and the Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH and all were great sounding. I found that feature wise, the RX-V1800 and the VSX-92TXH were the closest while as far as sound, I enjoyed the Denon and the Yamaha the best. Its a very tough decision because they all have their + and - so it boils down to what sounds better to you and which one will fit your application the best. For me, having a few exta HDMI connectors is what pushed me away from the Denon. Then, while sampling the Yamaha and the Pioneer Elite, to my ears, it appeared that the Pioneer was 'trying to hard' while the Yamaha sounded like it pumped out the music more effortless. Its hard to explain, and I know its subjective, but just imagine 2 people side by side trying to sing a song. One would sing without any effort and just a beautiful voice would just come out while the next guy trying to reproduce the same sound almost over compensated to try to sing like the guy next to him. I know its a silly comparison and some will disagree with me, but that how I heard it and thats the process I had to go through to make my decision.....

For me, its the Yamaha RX-V1800.....
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page