Base Shakers and a Sherwood Receiver – Why doesn’t it work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-27-2001, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There must be something fundamental that I don’t understand. If anyone can help shed some light, I would really appreciate it.

I bought a bunch of the 4 ohm /25 watt Aura base shakers (from ApexJr) and as a test I installed two in a chair and wired them in series to get 8 ohms. I also have a spare A/V receiver that I currently am not using, so I tried to use it to power the shakers. It is a Sherwood R725 and it has 165 watts / channel @ 8 ohms. I used a Y adapter on the subwoofer pre/out of my main AV receiver. On each of the Y adapter ends, I have an RCA splitter. So, one pair of wires will go to the R/L inputs of the subwoofer (Velodyne HGS-10) and another pair of wires will go to the R/L inputs of one of the component inputs on the Sherwood Receiver.

Now, since the subwoofer output on my main receiver is mono and I split that signal and send it to the R/L inputs on the 2nd receiver, I assume that the R and L inputs are getting the identical signals. I also assume that if I have that input mode set up to stereo, then I will get the identical signal out of the Front R/L channels. Is there something wrong in this logic? It seems it should work based on this reply by David Bott in a different post. His is the first response. Anyway, the speaker wire for the base shakers was initially inserted into the Front/Left terminal.

So, I inserted the Avia DVD and ran through many of the subwoofer reference setups. The subwoofer and various channels connected to the main AV receiver happily rumbled low frequencies (as well as they could), however, the Base Shakers did not even move. They were as dead as could be.

So, I figure there is got to be something I don’t understand. I tried about everything I could think of. Different inputs, different modes, different channels. I must admit that I am lost. I have never setup anything except the basics, so if someone sees something obviously wrong in what I am doing, then please let me know.

With Kind Regards,
Hal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-27-2001, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do you have the second receiver set to the same component as the first receiver is connected to? (If you plugged the first reciever into CD In on the second receiver, is the second receiver set to CD?)

If so, is the volume turned up on the second receiver?

Have you tried replacing the bass shakers with a speaker to make sure that they are getting a signal? If you hook up a speaker to the output of the second receiver and get a signal, then there might be a problem with the bass shaker that is first in the chain.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page