AVS Forum banner

SSP & Pre/Pros that support HDMI Audio MPCM

301K views 1K replies 179 participants last post by  Eric Carroll 
#1 ·
Last Update: 5-Jul-2011

Google SSP Spreadsheet is the source for the table. Please feel free to update the "Next Version" tab of the table. I will edit and promote to this posting as it evolves.

Feature Legend:
  • Codec
    • HBR - native High Bit Rate Decoders: Dolby Digital TrueHD, DTS-HD MA (and MPCM)
    • MPCM - multi-channel PCM over HDMI (either 6 or 8 channels) support only
  • HDMI Version
    • HDMI 1.0 is required for MPCM
    • HDMI 1.2 is required for SACD DSD format
    • HDMI 1.3 is required for HBR format
    • HDMI 1.4 is required for 3D Video
  • Video Mode
    • VS - Video Switching - only switches HDMI inputs to output & limited transcoding
    • VP - Video Processing - supports video processing features beyond switching & transcoding, which may include noise & cadence management, aspect ratio management, anamorphic support, colour management.
  • Surround Mode
    • THX -THX audio processing modes supported (and DPL as well)
    • DPLIIX - Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movies & Music modes supported
    • DPLIIz - Dolby Pro Logic IIz for support of additional height speakers
  • HBR Surr. - can the Surround Mode be applied to the HBR bitstream codecs (TrueHD, DTS HD MA)?
  • Decoders
    • DSD - native SACD DSD over HDMI decode
    • HDCD - High Definition CD
  • Spkr X-Over - Speaker Crossover:
    • Fixed - 80Hz for all speakers
    • Single - one adjustable crossover value applied to all speakers
    • Pair - adjustable crossover value per pair of speakers (F/C/S/SB/SW)
    • Custom - adjustable crossover value per speaker
  • Room Correction
    • None
    • GEC - Graphic Equalizer (fix band freq domain only)
    • PEQ - Parametric Equalizer (freq domain only)
    • Lexicon EQ
    • Audyssey - MultEQ, MultEQ XT, MultEQ Pro
    • Trinnov
  • Analog Bypass - can the SSP be used as a pure preamp passing analog inputs through a pure analog path?
  • Feature boxes that are blank (empty) mean that the feature behaviour has not yet been determined.

See less See more
#228 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall /forum/post/13637294

It's like my tax day hangover consolation prize.........

Don't remind me, I haven't lived in the US for almost 4 years now yet I still have to file and pay taxes and this year was a shock. Well, at least the NAD T175 has arrived in Singapore and I will pick mine up this week

#229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carroll /forum/post/13574362

Classe Audio is apparently now taking preorders on the SSP-800 for delivery in May. MSRP $8,000, MPCM only. A HBR decoder upgrade may be available at the end of the year. Apparently this upgrade is awaiting the DSP card provider that Classe uses to release a new HBR capable DSP card. The SSP-800 is rumoured to use the TI Aureus DSP.

There is an AVS post indicating that release had been delayed to late June but I have not been able to verify that.

Thats great that Classe is willing to take our money now, without providing a firm ship date.

Sorry, but audio companies have been notorious about release dates, especially where MPCM HDMI is involved. I wouldn't do a pre-order unless Classe gives a firm ship date.

Good luck to those that do though. I am curious to hear about the SQ of this unit.

Darrell

#230 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics /forum/post/13645640

Thats great that Classe is willing to take our money now, without providing a firm ship date.

Sorry, but audio companies have been notorious about release dates, especially where MPCM HDMI is involved. I wouldn't do a pre-order unless Classe gives a firm ship date.

Good luck to those that do though. I am curious to hear about the SQ of this unit.

Darrell

Unless I am mistaken, they can not charge you until they ship the product. At least most credit card companies have policies against companies charging you before shipping.

I know I preoder all the time from Amazon, but they will never charge my account (credit card or bank account) until the day it actually ships.

#231 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc115 /forum/post/13652754

Unless I am mistaken, they can not charge you until they ship the product. At least most credit card companies have policies against companies charging you before shipping.

I know I preoder all the time from Amazon, but they will never charge my account (credit card or bank account) until the day it actually ships.

You are mistaken...

On big items, or things considered custom order, it is very common for a dealer to charge you up front. When I spoke to the local Classe dealer, he wanted payment up front for the SSP-800. Some dealers request 50% up front. It depends on the item and the dealer.

Darrell

#232 ·
Darrell,

When you spoke to your dealer about the SSP-800 preorder, what did he say about shipping dates?

I hear what you are saying about ship dates. In Classe case, they have a better chance of making their date simply because the are not using a next gen DSP - they went with the previous generation OEM DSP card. So they are not caught in the swirl of Cirrus Logic like many others and likely have much less integration to do.

But of course that begs the next question, which is when and how much is the DSP upgrade, which they have said they will announce "before launch".

#233 ·
Eric,

The local dealer called me a couple days ago and told me they are taking pre-orders and that he expects them to ship in late may. I didn't ask when I could actually have it in my hands.

He said he was going to send me some literature on the unit, so I should get that today or tomorrow I expect.

Darrell

#235 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carroll /forum/post/13687948

As seen in the SimAudio thread:

It is VERYpainful having poor resale value in highend pre/pros, but having a pre/pro that becomes obsolete and which has the amps built in sounds even more painful.

MikeSp

#237 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carroll /forum/post/13688999

Why are you concluding they are integrated? My reading of this was that a new 5ch amp is being launched at the same time as the pre/pro, just like what Denon did with the POA-HDA1 and AVP-HDA1, and Marantz is doing with the MM8003 and AV8003.

Ahhhh -- that makes good sense -- guess I was shocked that Sim would use an all-in-one-box approach. Sorry for my confusion.

MikeSp

#239 ·
An article in AVRev is worth noting: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market – Do You Really Need Them? .

Of particular interest to those who answer that question "yes" is this:
Quote:
One notable receiver manufacturer tells AVRev.com that they were promised “production quantities” of the most popular Cirrus Logic chips in April of 2007 but didn’t receive them until March of 2008. The all-important firmware was reportedly “99 percent done” which can easily be translated into, not-ready-for-prime-time at this date". ... it will be August of 2008 before a full complement of “next gen receivers” will be available for purchase.

So it looks like the Cirrus chipset availability issue is starting to resolve. Perhaps we will have more to look at by the summer as a result.

#243 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carroll /forum/post/13791934

The Cary 11a web page is now available, although apparently not indexed from the main product list.

That's a shame, only 2 HDMI inputs

#245 ·
The HTGuide SSP-800 tracking thread has been updated.

Notable highlights:
  • PCM1792 on main channels (PCM1796 on surround channels)
  • NSC LME49720 op-amps
  • currently no planned DSD support
  • free field upgrade this year or next to MDS DAE-7D (7103) dual DSP module to support HBR decoders
  • Dolby Volume support with the new DSP module
  • 3 month backlog of preorders
  • July customer availability

#246 ·
Eric,

I just want to thank you for the EXCELLENT thread! I have learned a million and one things from this thread! I desperately need a new "separate" preamp to compliment my Anthem PVA5 as my NAD T163 died on me
. The information I have learned here has been invaluable!

Regards,

#249 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carroll /forum/post/13873649

Cirrus Logic posted a press release dated April 17th, indicating the CS49700 was now released in production volumes.

Slight correction, or maybe not so slight: that press release is dated April 17, 2007.

(And, based on the evidence we have, the press release turned out to be highly inaccurate, because there have been long and continuing delays in final release of the CS4970xx family of Audio DSP chips to consumer electronics manufacturers!)

#250 ·
Great thread Eric. Has anyone tried the onkyo and really compared it to an older higher quality processor like the Meridian 568.2 or 861? I am a 100% home theater guy and was wondering how the onkyo in lossless would compare to say a Meridian 861(high bitrate DTS) while watching the same movie in bluray? Also, How many rack spaces is the Onkyo?

#252 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/13875427

Great thread Eric. Has anyone tried the onkyo and really compared it to an older higher quality processor like the Meridian 568.2 or 861? I am a 100% home theater guy and was wondering how the onkyo in lossless would compare to say a Meridian 861(high bitrate DTS) while watching the same movie in bluray? Also, How many rack spaces is the Onkyo?

Actually, there are a bunch of Onkyo threads running, and I have seen several posts from people who have compared the Meridian and Onkyo. Do a search and you can likely find them. I think the consensus is the HBR codecs are audibly better than a high quality version of the lossy codec like DD or DTS for movies. 2 channel is a different story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.