SSP & Pre/Pros that support HDMI Audio MPCM - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2009, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody think Linn will release a multich. pre/pro?

Does anybody know if the Classe ssp-800 will accept 192KHZ LPCM audio from a bluray source or SACD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bob Pariseau reports the Anthem D2v (formerly known as the D2 v2) HDM capable upgrade is now shipping and the AVM 50v will ship Feb 09.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablu8 View Post

Haven't heard anything to date.

Quote:

Does anybody know if the Classe ssp-800 will accept 192KHZ LPCM audio from a bluray source or SACD?

Best asked in the Classe thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980916
Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmike View Post

Sooo....

I was considering an upgrade of my current receiver, but now I'm thinking that seperates may be the better way to go. This may not be the place to get the answers to my rudimentary questions, so please feel free to point me to the proper place.

My questions include the following...

1. what is the 'breaking point', price wise, where it makes sense to go this route? Ie...if you're planning on spending XXXX.00 on a receiver, you'll likely get a better result by splitting that between X and X.

2. There is a lot of discussion of lower priced receivers ($700-$1000) that do not pass full RGB (clipping of 0-15 BTB, and 241-255 WTW) in their video passthrough. How is this situation handled in the seperates environment?

3. In general terms, what are the advantages of setting up this way? Any disadvantages?

Again please forgive me if this is OT, and feel free to direct me to the proper place.

Much appreciated!

Mike

Mike - This is probably a better set of questions for the general forum. Certainly going to the generic AVR threads might get you a better response. Look at Eric's list on page 1 of this thread. If your AVR budget looks like those numbers, then you may be playing in the right ball park. But then you were probably shopping for a pretty high-end AVR anyway....

Eric - Per my conversations with the folks at Audiolab, the 8000AP does not yet have an official price. MSRP in the UK is L1000, but discounting seems common. Once IAG (parent of Audiolab) has a US distributor for the unit, then we should get pricing for our market. I'll be reviewing one for Secrets at some point once my review unit makes it from Las Vegas to Houston.

Bill

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
Old 01-21-2009, 11:02 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:

From Classé "The only 192kHz source material that we are currently aware of are 2 channel DVD-As and the SSP-800 is capable handling them. In terms of multichannel audio, the SSP-800 handles 8 channels at 96kHz, which is Blu Ray's maximum capability.

The Dual DSP will be able to handle 192kHz, because this is the bitrate for the encoded bitstreams."

Hope this helps
Old 01-22-2009, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

From Classé "The only 192kHz source material that we are currently aware of are 2 channel DVD-As and the SSP-800 is capable handling them. In terms of multichannel audio, the SSP-800 handles 8 channels at 96kHz, which is Blu Ray's maximum capability.

The Dual DSP will be able to handle 192kHz, because this is the bitrate for the encoded bitstreams."

Hope this helps

I beleive though it might accept 192khz it will down res to 96khz due to its particular dacs. there was a post somewhere about a while back on this

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Old 01-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 978
The Anthem Statement D2v is shipping now (confirmed). The Anthem AVM 50v is supposed to ship this coming week. [NOTE: Anthem originally referred to these two units as the "D2 v.2" and "AVM 50 v.2".]

The original Statement D2, AVM 50, and quite possibly the AVM 40, may be discontinued soon if that hasn't already happened. Upgrades to the D2v or AVM 50v for owners of the original units should be available soon (my guess would be February for the D2 -> D2v upgrade). Upgrade pricing is not confirmed yet. Either upgrade will require shipping the unit to the Anthem factory in Canada.

Adjustments to your notes on the new units:

HDMI is V1.3c -- some folks may care about the particular V1.3 level
Speaker Xover is "Pair"
Surround Mode is BOTH PLIIx and THX (the additional THX stuff is user selectable -- you don't seem to have an option for that)

Pricing is a little confusing right now as Anthem seems to be offering a reduced "introductory" price at the moment. It appears the US MSRP for the D2v is $7499 at the moment. The AVM 50v pricing is not confirmed yet but will likely remain $2K less than the D2v pricing. The price includes Anthem ARC-1 (room correction) bundled with either the D2v or the AVM 50v.

You don't have a column for details on the HDMI multi-channel LPCM audio input, but for both of these units it is up to 7.1 channels at up to 192KHz/24bit. [NOTE however that ANALOG multi-channel audio input remains 5.1 on both units.]

In addition, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD bitstream decoding are in both units now. Anthem has announced that "Dolby Volume" will be added as a free software upgrade for both units (user installable) -- no ETA announced.

Video is up to HDMI 1080p/60 (with 1080p/24 support) including HDMI V1.3 "Deep Color" and full video processing. Video processing is 12 bits per component (36 bits per pixel) end to end using the latest VXP chip from Sigma Designs. The two HDMI video outputs run in "parallel" -- i.e., they are both live at the same time, but they can not be set to carry different video signals. It is not clear yet whether that restriction may be relaxed in future firmware.

The master thread for these two new units (and ARC-1) remains the "D2/AVM50 tweaking" thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=678260

I recommend interested folks start with the FAQ info collected in the first post in that thread.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Read the FAQ!

Eric,
A suggestion: You might want to add a table for "discontinued" units to the first post rather than just deleting the current info as models get replaced. Some of these units will have a lively continuation in the used equipment marketplace well after the manufacturer stops selling them.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bob,

Thanks very much for the update. A table update from CES is pending and I will fold it in. The surround column indicates the "highest" level of processing available, as you always find DPL but not always THX.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:

I asked Linn that question in an email. I was told they are working on a new HT preamp. But it seemed to be just a very generic answer.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How about adding the Arcam AV888:
Version: 1.3
In: 5
Out: 2
Channels: 7.1
Video Mode: VP
Codec: HBR
Surround Mod: DPLIIx
HBR Surr: ?
DSD: ? (DACs are DSD capable)
HDCD: ?
Speaker x-over: Single
Room Correction: None
Bal In: None
Bal Out: 8 (Fully Balanced)
Analogue ByPass: Yes
MSRP: $6000 Approx
Release Date: Q2 09

Link:
http://www.progressive-av.com/produc...88%20flier.pdf
Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am having a tough time deciding upon my next pre-pro with the Denon AVP, Classe SSP-800 and MX150 on my short list. The Denon has an excellent history, early reports on the Classe are generally excellent and there is NO information on details about the MX150.

In a different AVS forum on pre-pros, a well-known poster made the statements and/or inferences that the MX150 will merely be a rehashed MX119/120135/136 with HDMI 1.3 support, the usual poor quality of preamp capability, room EQ and a higher price yet Mc has given out VERY few technical details of the MX150.

Since I really want to know if it is worth double the price of the Denon AVP -- I am a Mc fan, but also a fan of reality and practicality... but, gasp, appearance is sort of important too), thus I ask if anyone has any info on some of the technical details of the MX150 that would indicate that it is not just a warmed over MX119/120135/136 with a few added features and higher price.

MikeSp

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
Old 01-27-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

MikeSp,

No offence but I try to keep this focused on vendor announcements and developments in the industry to maintain the focus and the high signal to noise ration. It is off topic to discuss specific pre/pros, that's why they each have their own thread. There is a little vendor specific chatter here, but mostly it happens in the device specific thread.

To answer your question, to the best of my knowledge no additional details have been released other than what was at CES 2009. If there is anyone with more detailed speculation, let's take it to the MX150 thread. Any actual vendor announcements or well sourced rumors from Mc are of course welcome.

Sorry to be difficult on this but if you look back in the history of this thread you will see why (and whom).

PS: I owe post #1 a CES 2009 update... its coming...
Old 01-29-2009, 10:01 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp View Post

I am having a tough time deciding upon my next pre-pro with the Denon AVP, Classe SSP-800 and MX150 on my short list. The Denon has an excellent history, early reports on the Classe are generally excellent and there is NO information on details about the MX150.

In a different AVS forum on pre-pros, a well-known poster made the statements and/or inferences that the MX150 will merely be a rehashed MX119/120135/136 with HDMI 1.3 support, the usual poor quality of preamp capability, room EQ and a higher price yet Mc has given out VERY few technical details of the MX150.

Since I really want to know if it is worth double the price of the Denon AVP -- I am a Mc fan, but also a fan of reality and practicality... but, gasp, appearance is sort of important too), thus I ask if anyone has any info on some of the technical details of the MX150 that would indicate that it is not just a warmed over MX119/120135/136 with a few added features and higher price.

MikeSp

Sound, Quality , Design and Outstanding Customer Service Classé is Number one, just like Stewart FilmScreen

Features and many many connections = Denon
Just don't expect any support
Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Last I checked, Denon and McIntosh were sister companies, so there could be crossover.

John
Old 01-30-2009, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Primare are reporting an upgrade is due for the SP32 in Q2:
5 HDMI In
Two HDMI Out
Full HBR Decode
Video Processing

http://www.primare.net/documents/00063.pdf
Old 01-30-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Sound, Quality , Design and Outstanding Customer Service Classé is Number one, just like Stewart FilmScreen

Features and many many connections = Denon
Just don't expect any support

So you know that the denon's in that price range don't get support ? Sofar not only do they seem to have their device under control but i have not seen any bad support issues on the denon avp thread and ive been following it for a year now.

You can make your point (that classe has good support) without putting a different brand down.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
Old 01-30-2009, 02:20 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

So you know that the denon's in that price range don't get support ? Sofar not only do they seem to have their device under control but i have not seen any bad support issues on the denon avp thread and ive been following it for a year now.

You can make your point (that classe has good support) without putting a different brand down.

Daniel.

Agreed. This is straying off topic and Eric will probably yell at us, but... When I bought my Denon AVP as a customer returned unit, one of the surround channels wasn't working. I contacted Denon, sent it to them for repair, and had it back in about a week (that's including the time it took to travel from MA to NJ and back). If that's poor support, I'll take it .
Old 02-02-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The Anthem Statement D2v is shipping now (confirmed). The Anthem AVM 50v is supposed to ship this coming week.

Has anybody heard if the AVM 50v has started shipping? I ordered one roughly 2 weeks ago but can't seem to get much information from the dealer as to when my order will be filled.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottHT View Post

Has anybody heard if the AVM 50v has started shipping? I ordered one roughly 2 weeks ago but can't seem to get much information from the dealer as to when my order will be filled.

The best word we have is that AVM 50v Black units started shipping last Friday, and AVM 50v Silver units will start shipping tomorrow. But so far we don't have any posts from anyone who has actually taken delivery of a new AVM 50v, so this is not confirmed.

D2v units are definitely shipping. Several posters have already taken delivery. There's already about a 1 month lead time on new orders placed today.

Discussion is going on in the D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 "tweaking" thread.
--Bob

Old 02-03-2009, 12:56 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

Daniel.

I owned a $3500 Denon AV products before and I kept getting very poor customer support. Untrained and unresponsive sorry that is my experience.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I owned a $3500 Denon AV products before and I kept getting very poor customer support. Untrained and unresponsive sorry that is my experience.

Well to each his own, my point was that you wanted to make a point about classe and i don't think it was needed to involve a different brand in that way. Support sometimes also depends on place where we are on this world so i can't and won't even try to comment on your past interactions.

Also where i can i expect/get support from other owners these days using great forums like this. Incase of the avp i doubt there are more than 5 people inside denon who know more than the shared mindset of the owners group on this forum.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
Old 02-05-2009, 01:39 PM

Hi all,

Heard a new Lexicon is on the way for half 09.
Should be standing between MC12 and N°40...
Old 02-07-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Heard a new Lexicon is on the way for half 09.

Do you have anymore details?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWinsor View Post

Do you have anymore details?

Not right now...
There "should be" an MV5 replacement product soon, with HBR and 1080p24 in/out and a "new" MC12 around 10 000$.
For the last one, it should be HBR too... and the presentation product should be at Cedia.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

We now have confirmation that the new Anthem AVM 50v pre-pro is, indeed, shipping. We have our first post from someone who has taken delivery.

Discussion is taking place in the Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 "tweaking" thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=678260

--Bob

Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORGAND View Post

There "should be" an MV5 replacement product soon, with HBR and 1080p24 in/out

Wonder if this means that there will be a JBL version, as well. CEDIA is an awfully long time away, though.

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone have any updates on the new processors to be released from ADA?

Mankite
Old 02-16-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Eric - Wondering if you think this update should be removed?

"4-Dec-08 Cary Cinema 11a does not support Surround modes on HDM formats, like the Marantz AV8003. Table updated to reflect this"

Since it's confirmed to work with V1.02? or maybe an additional update.. Just thought I would mention it.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com