SSP & Pre/Pros that support HDMI Audio MPCM - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1049 Old 04-12-2009, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It would be nice to see power consumption (some get very hot), maximum pcm input rate (48,96,192) and most importantly advanced surround sound modes listed in the table. Who cares about unimpressive legacy Dolby steering or phase modes, as Neural and Circle Surround II are far more enjoyable to open up stereo sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1049 Old 04-16-2009, 10:20 AM

Liked: 12
Quoted from Parasound website here:

http://parasound.com/new.php

Quote:

Update: New Parasound 7.1 Surround Processors & Receiver
I appreciate the outpouring of interest and enthusiasm for these new models and I especially appreciate your patience while we work on getting them just right.

Our team has made a lot of progress on the new 7.1 channel platform. Our goal is to make the Halo C 3 Surround Processor, NewClassic HDP70 Surround Processor and HDR77 Surround Receiver available by late summer (but I'm not saying in which hemisphere...just kidding!).

Designing a new 7.1 platform is a daunting challenge. Making one that works correctly and is bug-free is a far greater challenge, particularly when HDMI 1.3* is involved. I insist that we test, revise and re-test new models as many times as it takes to make them as bug-free as possible from both an engineering perspective and, more importantly, from a customer's perspective. Our products aren't inexpensive and I believe your experience with them should be satisfying, not frustrating.

The NewClassic Model 7100 is a great example of this commitment. We improved it again and again over a period of many months before it was released to the public. The results? The Model 7100 is probably the only surround processor ever sold without any bugs whatsover and thus without the need for any upgrades. In fact, the very last Model 7100 built was 100% identical to the very first Model 7100 to come off the production line! We didn't need to inconvenience our customers and dealers with a single hardware change, firmware or software update. I'm applying this same stringent standard of excellence to our new 7.1 models.

Reminder: Owners of a Halo C 1 or C 2 or a NewClassic Model 7100 processor can enjoy Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master today simply by selecting a Blu-ray player which is equipped with 7.1 channel analog output jacks.

* Some brands claim to have "HDMI 1.3b" implying that it's the newest type of HDMI. They're bending the truth. HDMI "1.3a" and "1.3b" refer only to testing procedures and have nothing to do with performance. Quoting directly from hdmi.org:

Q. What is the difference between HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.3a, or 1.3b?
For consumers, there is no difference between HDMI version 1.3 and 1.3a or 1.3b. These minor revisions to the specification typically relate to manufacturing or testing issues and do not impact features or functionality. In addition, HDMI Licensing, LLC is actively working with manufacturers to reduce confusion for consumers by de-emphasizing version numbers and focusing instead on product features and functionality.

The following information sheets on the new 7.1 processor and receiver are preliminary and certain performance details are still evolving. I'll post more up-to-date features and specs in May here at parasound.com. I think your patience will be amply rewarded!

Richard Schram
President
Parasound Products, Inc.

post #723 of 1049 Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Liked: 10
Hey Eric i sent you a PM don't know if you got it or not.

I was just wondering where you got your Integra from here in toronto? I'm in the market for one and it seems like there aren't many integra dealers here.

THANKS!!!
post #724 of 1049 Old 04-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I was told that there is no integra dealers in Canada.
post #725 of 1049 Old 04-16-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbr View Post

I was told that there is no integra dealers in Canada.

There must be somewhere to get an integra unit here in toronto. How did eric_carrol get one then?

I don't think he would have gone through the trouble of ordering from the US and having to pay shipping+brokerage.
post #726 of 1049 Old 04-17-2009, 07:21 AM

It appears that th HDP70 will not have video processing. Is this correct?

Ray
post #727 of 1049 Old 04-17-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdlokg View Post

Just for fun, I just did a google search:

integra home theater canada

and came up with a network of dealers. Now whether this is still current, I do not know, but at least it will turn up some dealers to call....Maybe one of them can help you. Cheers.

Of course I googled and what not but I only found one place that has it in stock and actually sells the integra line. Hoping i could find a few more to check out what prices they can give me.
post #728 of 1049 Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Collins View Post

It appears that th HDP70 will not have video processing. Is this correct?

Ray

I believe it uses the current Faroudja-lineage chipset from Genesis (Cortez/Torino). If so, then it's not operating at the same level as the Silicon Optix (HQV), Gennum (VXP) or Anchor Bay (VRS) stuff. If you are looking at a new SSP, chances are that you have shifted most of your content viewing over to Blu-Ray or some flavor of broadcast HD, as it is. Under this later scenario, you have to get fairly discriminating in what you are buying. The Reon implementation in my PR-SC885P did more harm than good, so I disabled it.

There should be a big, big disclaimer when an audio engineers builds an advanced video processor. I don't know of many people who would trust a video engineer to build a high-end audio processor, so I don't get why people feel the reverse is desirable. In other words, I would trust a dedicated VP or a high-end display (e.g., Pioneer Elite, may they rest-in-peace) over what a traditionally audio-oriented company can do.

That being said, Anthem does seem to have pulled it off in the D2/AVM50 (at least to some degree) with Gennum's technology, while Denon seems to be hit-or-miss with Realta-based gear (5308/AVP-1 seem solid, but the dedicated VP is not that good). There are probably expectations differences, though, for what individual people/reviewers are looking to achieve.

Bill

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
post #729 of 1049 Old 04-18-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Folks, this is not the thread for Integra dealers in Canada -its off topic... I have replied via PM.
post #730 of 1049 Old 04-18-2009, 08:03 PM

"The Reon implementation in my PR-SC885P did more harm than good, so I disabled it."

What are you using as a video processor?
post #731 of 1049 Old 04-22-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

"The Reon implementation in my PR-SC885P did more harm than good, so I disabled it."

What are you using as a video processor?

This is OT, but the answer is short: I currently have an EDGE that I use day-to-day. I have a VP50 that I need to sell, and I have owned a Lumagen HDP, HDQ and Radiance. The Radiance was by far the best, but was beyond what I personally needed at the time.

The EDGE combined with a good HDMI 1.1 SSP and the right components upstream makes all of the current fuss over HBR codecs and video processing rather meaningless, IMHO.

post #732 of 1049 Old 04-23-2009, 10:02 AM

Thanks Bear5k; sorry I asked you to color outside the lines...but the info was very valuable. I may PM you if you don't mind.

Ray
post #733 of 1049 Old 04-24-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks Bear5k; sorry I asked you to color outside the lines...but the info was very valuable. I may PM you if you don't mind.

Feel free. We should probably keep the discussion of VP functionality to what is deployed in the individual SSPs. There is a dedicated forum for standalone VPs. If Eric gets bored, and wants to make some updates to the chart, I'm sure we could change the current "Video Mode" column to "Video Proc" and fill-in what technology each of the SSPs uses. Additional codes would need to be made for Switching (Sw?) and Audio-Only (Aud? N/A?), but we should pretty quickly be able to identify who was using which tech. The only trick would be differentiating the older FLi23xx-based Faroudja chips (e.g., Denon 7100), from the later stuff that works better with HD.

Bill

post #734 of 1049 Old 04-26-2009, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like the M15HD release date has slipped. A posting suggests the end of May as the new release date.
post #735 of 1049 Old 05-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Liked: 11
Is anyone aware of an AVR that will act as a client to perform native FLAC decoding and/or decode and upconvert video iso images?
post #736 of 1049 Old 05-14-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

Is anyone aware of an AVR that will act as a client to perform native FLAC decoding and/or decode and upconvert video iso images?

The Arcam AVR600 I will decode flaxc via it's built in ethernet port or usb port. I don't think any avr will decode iso.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #737 of 1049 Old 05-14-2009, 05:23 PM

Is the $7,500 Denon the only pre-pro on this list that offers jitter-reduction technology (like Sony's HATS and Pioneer's PQLS)?
post #738 of 1049 Old 05-28-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

For those interested, Arcam has added full specs and pics (front and rear panel) of the new AV888 prepro.

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,fmj,...iers,AV888.htm

I've also created an owner's thread. Should have mine in about 2 weeks or so.

Tony

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #739 of 1049 Old 05-28-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Nice one Tony, thanks.

Adam
post #740 of 1049 Old 06-01-2009, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Krell announced that the S-1200 and S-1200u are now shipping. MSRP is $10K for the S-1200 and $12K for the S-1200u.

DSP is two dual core CS497004, and DAC is from Sabre. Both support advanced codecs. The 1200u model provides video upconversion.

Upgrades are available to the S-1000 for the difference in MSRP and shipping.

Krell has posted a datasheet on its web site.

Discussion is underway in the Over 20K forum thread New Krell S-1200
post #741 of 1049 Old 06-01-2009, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Eric - quick note on the Arcam AV888

Balanced outputs = 10
Room Correction = yes by SHARC Melody

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #742 of 1049 Old 06-01-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Eric - quick note on the Arcam AV888

Balanced outputs = 10

Thanks, is it shipping now?

edit: oops yes it must be if you have one coming... Whats the current MSRP?
post #743 of 1049 Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carroll View Post

Thanks, is it shipping now?

edit: oops yes it must be if you have one coming... Whats the current MSRP?

2 weeks..

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #744 of 1049 Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Was wondering where this is described?

I went to the link you provided,

Only thing I found that seemed to be related was:
Dolby Volume includes programme dependant tonal correction to deliver a richer, more realistic sound experience at low listening levels. That sounds more like Dynamic EQ than room correction.

Do you know the MSRP?

Thanks
Bruce
post #745 of 1049 Old 06-03-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure why that's not on the product sheet. I got this from Arcam directly. Not to mention I have the integrated version (AVR600) which also has room EQ. Nothing to do with Dolby Volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

Was wondering where this is described?

I went to the link you provided,

Only thing I found that seemed to be related was:
Dolby Volume includes programme dependant tonal correction to deliver a richer, more realistic sound experience at low listening levels. That sounds more like Dynamic EQ than room correction.

Do you know the MSRP?

Thanks
Bruce

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #746 of 1049 Old 06-04-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
was pointed out to me by a fellow forum member on my home forum that the moon cp-8

http://www.simaudio.com/mooncp8.htm

that rather curiously teh main display on the thing is that of the denon avp-a1hd ! not sure how I never picked this up before but looking at the pics on the moon website it is indeed ! so obviously sim audio moon is licensing from denon the platform(or some parts of it) from denon. Might explain the mighty price for the moon as doubt denon would have given much away without asking to be paid some serious money in return. I

I understand the upcoming Mc Intosh pre-pro is also denon avp-a1 hd under the skin, understandable I guess since both companies owned by the D&M group

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #747 of 1049 Old 06-04-2009, 03:06 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

was pointed out to me by a fellow forum member on my home forum that the moon cp-8

http://www.simaudio.com/mooncp8.htm

that rather curiously teh main display on the thing is that of the denon avp-a1hd ! not sure how I never picked this up before but looking at the pics on the moon website it is indeed ! so obviously sim audio moon is licensing from denon the platform(or some parts of it) from denon. Might explain the mighty price for the moon as doubt denon would have given much away without asking to be paid some serious money in return.

They may be using the same display, but the back panel is radically different from the AVP (only 2 HDMI inputs???), so I doubt there are any other platform similarities.

Quote:

I understand the upcoming Mc Intosh pre-pro is also denon avp-a1 hd under the skin, understandable I guess since both companies owned by the D&M group

That I could easily believe and the AVP-A1HDCI with a McIntosh look would be pretty sweet. I wonder if they'll make any changes other than cosmetics - it would be pretty tough to improve on the AVP as it is. I suppose it wouldn't be a shock if they deleted some features such as the tuners.
post #748 of 1049 Old 06-05-2009, 10:21 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Re: Moon CP-8 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

(only 2 HDMI inputs???)

I know - that the first thing I noticed. 6 composite inputs but only 2 HDMI inputs on a new 2009+ pre-pro that's probably close to $10K. Gimme a break. Who in their right mind would use that many composite inputs on something that costs so much. Anyone buying this would have at least a Blu-ray player and some form of satellite/cable box, both which would best be used via HDMI. So there you have it, you're panel's already full. What a joke!

Yes, HDMI switchers are cheap but c'mon - that's just a whole other mess of stuff that someone spending this much money shouldn't have to deal with. $300 bargain basement receivers nowadays have twice as many HDMI inputs.

Kal
post #749 of 1049 Old 06-05-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

That I could easily believe and the AVP-A1HDCI with a McIntosh look would be pretty sweet. I wonder if they'll make any changes other than cosmetics - it would be pretty tough to improve on the AVP as it is. I suppose it wouldn't be a shock if they deleted some features such as the tuners.

We will know when we see it but it is supposed to use the Steinway-Lyngdorf RoomEq, rather than Audyssey. Other differences promised.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #750 of 1049 Old 06-05-2009, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post

Re: Moon CP-8 ...

I know - that the first thing I noticed. 6 composite inputs but only 2 HDMI inputs on a new 2009+ pre-pro that's probably close to $10K. Gimme a break. Who in their right mind would use that many composite inputs on something that costs so much. Anyone buying this would have at least a Blu-ray player and some form of satellite/cable box, both which would best be used via HDMI. So there you have it, you're panel's already full. What a joke!

Yes, HDMI switchers are cheap but c'mon - that's just a whole other mess of stuff that someone spending this much money shouldn't have to deal with. $300 bargain basement receivers nowadays have twice as many HDMI inputs.

Kal

yes, not sure whats going on in the conectivity side of things there, and yeah I know someone who took out their whole system source to projecter due to one of those nasty hdmi switcher/splitter things. I agree apart from the mess a hdmi switcher/splitter adds, in this sort of price bracket of hte moon, the thing should jsut come suitably equipped !

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page