post #181 of 1049 Old 03-05-2008, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Emotiva posted this announcement on their web page:
Quote:

The LMC-2, featuring full HDMI 1.3 compatibility, is in preproduction, and is scheduled for release in April 08. More details coming soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1049 Old 03-06-2008, 03:12 PM

Tim, look at Onkyo's Integra division. Their DTC 9.8 pre/pro has all that we're looking for at an unbelievable price. I am one of the fortunate people to have actually got my hands on one. Specs can be found on their website.
post #183 of 1049 Old 03-06-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

If you want lossless multichannel audio, you do.

Kal, what are you running right now for a pre/pro...?

Thanks Eric for running this thread, its definitely enlightening and somewhat depressing at the same time...

I have had my eye on upcoming Pre/Pros for a while now, skating by on my AVR until the market starts to populate with good quality fully capable products. I hate to think I have to wait another year for all these companies to get it together...

The Denon Pro/Integra is enticing, but I didn't want to get on the first horse out of the gate...
post #184 of 1049 Old 03-07-2008, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Kal, what are you running right now for a pre/pro...?

Thanks Eric for running this thread, its definitely enlightening and somewhat depressing at the same time...

I have had my eye on upcoming Pre/Pros for a while now, skating by on my AVR until the market starts to populate with good quality fully capable products. I hate to think I have to wait another year for all these companies to get it together...

The Denon Pro/Integra is enticing, but I didn't want to get on the first horse out of the gate...

Just for the record, I was one of the first horses out of the gate on the Integra 9.8 and it is a very good unit with possibly the best price to performance ratio I've seen yet. Only a couple of caveats from my extensive use over the past 4 months...

1. You can't send digital signals to Zones 2 & 3 (so I hook up analog cables for those sources since my other zones are not meant for serious listening anyway, but what a pity).
2. All settings for the REON VP chip are global (I only use the REON for two sources, so no biggie for me).
3. One should avoid analog sources for anything but "background" music.

But, feed this unit a digital signal, apply the Audyssey and sit back and marvel at the sound for a mere $1600.

Marketing Professor
Music, then Movies...
post #185 of 1049 Old 03-07-2008, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
[quote=Warpdrv;13313940]Kal, what are you running right now for a pre/pro...? In the big system (no video), the Meridian Ref 861 because it still sounds the best to me (and a modified Oppo 980 will be feeding it SACD via MHR by next week). In the smaller system, the Integra DTC 9.8 because it does everything well except analog.

Quote:

And lose the headstart?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #186 of 1049 Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 PM

I've been using an Integra 9.8 to drive a Theta Dreadnaught using the balanced outputs, and I have to see I was really surprised by the quality of the audio, with Audyssey it's really, really engaging, and in straight-through it's super-clean. I have to say I've come to prefer Audyssey to clean up room issues.

I replaced an Aragon Soundstage, which was well regarded for the analog section, and I have to say I do not find this unit lacking. Again, I can use the balanced outputs, but the result is really satisfying.

My only complaint is how long it takes audio to sync when you switch sources or change format on the fly in a movie.

Dan

------------------------------------

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.
post #187 of 1049 Old 03-08-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingProf View Post

Just for the record, I was one of the first horses out of the gate on the Integra 9.8 and it is a very good unit with possibly the best price to performance ratio I've seen yet. Only a couple of caveats from my extensive use over the past 4 months...

1. You can't send digital signals to Zones 2 & 3 (so I hook up analog cables for those sources since my other zones are not meant for serious listening anyway, but what a pity).
2. All settings for the REON VP chip are global (I only use the REON for two sources, so no biggie for me).
3. One should avoid analog sources for anything but "background" music.

But, feed this unit a digital signal, apply the Audyssey and sit back and marvel at the sound for a mere $1600.

Thanks for the positive input, Professor. I recall some posts in the Integra thread similar to what you wrote about Reon. It appears to have some limitations but what the effect is, I don't understand. Rather than sift through the hundreds of pages there to find that topic, perhaps you could post there and attempt to clarify it for me. Thanks!
post #188 of 1049 Old 03-08-2008, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie.m View Post

Thanks for the positive input, Professor. I recall some posts in the Integra thread similar to what you wrote about Reon. It appears to have some limitations but what the effect is, I don't understand. Rather than sift through the hundreds of pages there to find that topic, perhaps you could post there and attempt to clarify it for me. Thanks!

PM coming at ya.

Marketing Professor
Music, then Movies...
post #189 of 1049 Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 PM

A Krell company rep told me that the Krell S-1000 won't be available until mid May.
post #190 of 1049 Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

This is a painfully slow process.
post #191 of 1049 Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep. No news lately, and I have been looking.
post #192 of 1049 Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Anything expected from B&K? They're usually one of the first to market with stuff like this.
post #193 of 1049 Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Most recent update from B&K that I have is on the first page (with hyperlinks there):
Quote:

[23-Feb-08] The B&K Ref 70, scheduled for April release, will not initially have HBR codecs, with an upgrade to follow 90 days (or six months) later.

post #194 of 1049 Old 03-11-2008, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
post #195 of 1049 Old 03-11-2008, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tom,

Thanks very much for this. Essentially this update says the Cirrus chip is not out of Dolby approval yet, so that will catch a whole lot of vendors. I had a suspicion something slipped - a bunch of vendors missed all at the same time and I have been trying to track it down. This looks like the answer to me.
post #196 of 1049 Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 PM

Whay about Meridian and Lexicon?
Any news about fully compliant HDMI 1.3 processor with support for the new HD audio formats?
post #197 of 1049 Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is no announced plan from Meridian for HDMI of any kind that I am aware of.

I have not heard of any plan to upgrade the Lexicon HD-12 to HDMI 1.3 and HBR decoders.

Please post any references if you hear something.
post #198 of 1049 Old 03-12-2008, 12:22 PM

It`s been avfully quiet from Parasound the last year.
I have high hopes about the next generation Parasound Halo processors.
C1 and C2 where/is great products, but it seems to me that Parasound is having problems getting back on track due to the folding of Vinci labs.
Hopefully we will hear something at Cedia.
post #199 of 1049 Old 03-12-2008, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Parasound is impacted by the loss of Vinci Labs as they OEMed their platform. I believe I saw a quote from the President of Parasound (will have to look for it again) that suggested they will not be updating the C1/C2. I'll post the quote if I can find it again.

There is an unconfirmed report that they would show at CES 08 (which they did not).

AVSRichard posted a comment that Parasound is working on HDMI 1.3 product and HBR codecs with no details.

This is not the original quote I had in mind, but this posting says no HDMI upgrades to the C1/C1. Chris D the board moderator seems well plugged into Parasound. It doesn't however rule out a new product.
post #200 of 1049 Old 03-13-2008, 06:09 PM

Liked: 15
Hi Guys,

I'm seriously looking the Integra 9.8 preamp - I saw in the sticky that it does MPCM and HBR.

I'll apologize in advance if this has already been covered...

Does it do 7.1 LPCM over HDMI?

i.e 7.1 PCM from an 'older' Blu Ray player (BDP-S1) - will I have 7.1 or 5.1 through the Integra?

Thanks in advance,
post #201 of 1049 Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The "MPCM & HBR Decoders" section means 8ch LPCM over HDMI, so yes, it handles 7.1 LPCM.

There are lots and lots of Onkyo Pro/Integra threads on the forum, check them out for more details.
post #202 of 1049 Old 03-16-2008, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Emotiva posted this to its main web page:
Quote:
The name has changed, but the product is the same...the UMC-1, featuring full HDMI 1.3 compatibility, is in preproduction, and is scheduled for release in early summer.

The date confirms their forum posting.

From an announcement thread posting:
Quote:
The LMC-2, will now be called the UMC-1 (Ultra Media Controller). The MMC-2 willed be called the XMC-1, and so on. ... At some point in the not too far future, there will be a third 'Pro' level, but there are no specifics on that just yet. This is a note to those of you waiting on a DMC-2. There will be a higher level processor at some point, but at this moment, that is an unknown entity. The UMC-1 and XMC-1 are going to cover a lot of bases, and something beyond those 2 units will need time to emerge.

The XMC-1 is newly announced. Dan G described it in the UMC-1 and XMC-1 thread as:
Quote:
The XMC-1 will have (as of planning right now) have 6 HDMI inputs, and hopefully 2 HDMI outs. This is not set in stone, as it is a big cost factor, but that is what is hoped... The XMC-1 will have upgraded audio and video paths, and a higher processing speed, but the feature sets between the two units will be very similar.

and later confirmed balanced outputs for the XMC-1:
Quote:
Yes, the X series will have balanced in/outs.

Pricing continues at $699 for the UMC-1, and is expected to be $999 for the XMC-1
Quote:
we are hoping to keep the price for the XMC at the predicted $999

No launch date I can find on the XMC-1 as yet.
post #203 of 1049 Old 03-16-2008, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ralph Potts posted on ***************.com the B&K Ref 70 spec sheet.

As expected, no mention of HBR decoders.

A new thread is discussing the spec sheets.
post #204 of 1049 Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Pioneer Elite's top end awesome receiver is the SC-09TX -- its amplifiers are totally separate in the internal wiring, so separating the pre/pro from the amplifer portion would be appear to be a slam dunk.

I have to wonder WHY Pioneer Elite is reluctant to separate the pre/pro from the SC-09TX -- I suspect it would be the equal of the new Denon.

Any insider info about a potential future Pioneer Elite pre/pro based upon the SC-09TX??

MikeSp

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
post #205 of 1049 Old 03-17-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp View Post

Pioneer Elite's top end awesome receiver is the SC-09TX -- its amplifiers are totally separate in the internal wiring, so separating the pre/pro from the amplifer portion would be appear to be a slam dunk.

I have to wonder WHY Pioneer Elite is reluctant to separate the pre/pro from the SC-09TX -- I suspect it would be the equal of the new Denon.

Any insider info about a potential future Pioneer Elite pre/pro based upon the SC-09TX??

MikeSp

I agree, but I think Pio wanted the penultimate AVR first. It would take some rework of connectors and chassis separation, but I wish it was an option today too. I'll have to settle for the AVR version.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #206 of 1049 Old 03-18-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

I've been using an Integra 9.8 to drive a Theta Dreadnaught using the balanced outputs, and I have to see I was really surprised by the quality of the audio, with Audyssey it's really, really engaging, and in straight-through it's super-clean. I have to say I've come to prefer Audyssey to clean up room issues.

I replaced an Aragon Soundstage, which was well regarded for the analog section, and I have to say I do not find this unit lacking. Again, I can use the balanced outputs, but the result is really satisfying.

My only complaint is how long it takes audio to sync when you switch sources or change format on the fly in a movie.

Dan, can you give more detail on the analog sound of the 9.8 as compared to the Soundstage? No way it sounds as good as the Soundstage analog stage (which I have also).

Chuck G
post #207 of 1049 Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

AKA-Chuck G,

In defense of the high S/N ratio of this thread, could I observe there are many many other threads dealing specifically with the Onkyo/Integra and their analog performance (and you are free to start another one), and ask this conversation move there? If I recall Kal Rubinson specifically discussed this issue, so you can look for his postings and reviews. Its a worthwhile topic, just not not quite on topic for this thread.

There is also a thread in the 2ch audio forum on preamps in use with the Integra.

Thanks.
post #208 of 1049 Old 03-18-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It has HDMI 1.3 rather than 1.1 as listed on the first page. There might even be an 'a' after that. That sticks in my mind for some reason.

John
post #209 of 1049 Old 03-18-2008, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #210 of 1049 Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cary announced to dealers the delay of the release of the 11v to May.

The 11a has been delayed until Cirrus Logic finalizes its new DSP chipset software. Ship date will be announced once actual production dates are finalized.

This looks to be the same issue Emotiva announced on their board earlier this month.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page