the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 830 Old 11-21-2008, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ordered the AVR-888 from Amazon yesterday, chose the free shipping and received it today.

Won’t have time to play with it ‘till next week but I did take it out to look at.

Man, is she beautiful to look upon, sleek ebony body, sinewy curves, and gorgeous features. Can hardly wait to hear how she sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 830 Old 11-22-2008, 09:19 AM

I have had the AVR-888 for a few months now and love it, it has polk audio RTI-10's for the main's and csi3 center, and rti4 rear surround's and it powers everything very well. When I win the lottery I'll get a better receiver, still will be denon of course till then this receiver for the money,the brand and the fact that it's made in japan is the best deal out there right now.
LL
LL
post #273 of 830 Old 11-24-2008, 09:52 AM

OK I have some questions about using the stock and harmony remote controls:

1) Is there a way to activate the quick select from the stock RC? (there are 3 quick select buttons on the console which I can't figure how to access form the RC).
2) Is there a way to activate the quick select from a Harmony RC?
3) How useful is a Harmony remote when controlling the AVR-888?

I'm asking these questions cause I'm thinking on buying the Harmony 550 from best buy which is supposed to be on sale by Friday.
If you have any suggestions thanks in advance.
post #274 of 830 Old 11-24-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 921
you will never regret dumping the stock remote and switching to a Harmony, trust me. I'm not sure about the quick select functions but they should be in the Harmony database, can someone check on that?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #275 of 830 Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 AM

I've looked through this thread, the manual and Denon's FAQs and I just can't figure out how to get the OSD to display.

I have inputs for HDMI, Component and Composite Video, and can output/view all three types on my TV. What is the right combination of inputs/outputs to be able to view the OSD?

Thank you?
post #276 of 830 Old 11-25-2008, 09:04 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Denon monitor composit out to TV composit input, set TV to that input. I have been able to see osd in this manner. I have been Unable to see at higher video inputs.

HTPC With OTA only, HD with Surround is so AWESOME!
post #277 of 830 Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

what do you mean by "OSD"? Are you talking about the menus (where the screen blacks out and the white text appears), or are you talking about the volume overlay (i.e. when you change the volume you can see it layed on top of the image)?

If you are talking about the first, it should work an any output to the TV. If you are talking about the second, it will only work when the input source is composite/s-video as it states clearly on page 8 of the manual.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #278 of 830 Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoajax View Post

OK I have some questions about using the stock and harmony remote controls:

1) Is there a way to activate the quick select from the stock RC? (there are 3 quick select buttons on the console which I can't figure how to access form the RC).
2) Is there a way to activate the quick select from a Harmony RC?
3) How useful is a Harmony remote when controlling the AVR-888?

I'm asking these questions cause I'm thinking on buying the Harmony 550 from best buy which is supposed to be on sale by Friday.
If you have any suggestions thanks in advance.

Quote:

you will never regret dumping the stock remote and switching to a Harmony, trust me. I'm not sure about the quick select functions but they should be in the Harmony database, can someone check on that?

Can someone help me on this one?
post #279 of 830 Old 12-01-2008, 02:23 PM

Hello all, this is my first post, I have barely scratched the surface here but am excited I found this forum. I'm fairly knowledgeable on AV for a late 30's every-day-guy, but am a total NOOB here, so I would appreciate any assistance you all have. I will start with the items I've purchased, including the Denon 2308ci I bought as a Dakmart refurb on eBay (using a 10% coupon and 30% cashback) . . . I got a great deal on this at $ 310.87 net delivered (delivery alone was $37.82 or I would've been under $300).

Here is the setup I am trying to put together for my upstairs game-room (again, suggestions appreciated and I promise I will start reading as much as I can handle on previous posts / links).

My Equipment I have to work with:
AV Receiver: Denon 2308ci
Blu-Ray: Playstation 3 (about 10 games and 50 Blu rays so far, over 2,000 DVD's)
HDTV: Panasonic PT-60LC14 (Rear projection LCD w/one HDMI in)
Speakers: Klipsch KHC-6 (in-ceiling speakers, I have 3 pairs, I know I only need 5)
Subwoofer: Klipsch KSW-10
Misc items:
- - Nintendo Wii
- - Sony Progressive Scan DVD Player DVP-NS775V* (I don't think I will need this)
- - Monster Home Theater PowerCenter HTS950*
- - Several sets of Monster Composite and Component cables
- - One HDMI cable (I do not know if this is 1.3 rated)
*= I'm at work now, I guessed on these model numbers, but I'm pretty sure I'm right

Some Background:
- I bought the speakers, subwoofer and the power center back in November 2004 and have never hooked them up.

- My home which was also built in 2004 is "prewired" for the in-ceiling speakers and the subwoofer (I will have to cut a hole bigger than the switch plates that are currently there).

- I realize I should buy 2-3 HDMI 1.3 rated cables and I also now know I don't have to spend the extra $$ on the "Monster" brand.

- The room size for the installation is approximately 21' x 16' with 9' ceilings. Seating from the TV will be about 12'-13' away.

Questions
- I realize some of these will be better suited for other forums, so if we want to just stick the the receiver pieces that's fine :-)

1. What is the best way to make my connections from the AVR to the Speakers
I have a wall plate, but that seems it requires me to make 4 connections per wire instead of just two, I'm fine with that for the cleaner look if there aren't issues people see. Should I solder the wires to the speakers or use some type of connector? Also, recommended ways of connecting these wires to the AVR (splice and use the screws or 'banana' connectors?).

2. For connecting the subwoofer I am at a complete loss and need help.
It appears the house was pre-wired with a coaxial like cable for the subwoofer - I have never seen a connection like this used for a speaker and am not sure if they did this in error or if I have to connect this other than normal (pulling wire through the rafters would not be fun).

3. Did I buy enough of a receiver for these speakers / sub? And/or was this a decent choice given my PS3 for Blu-ray and my RPLCD 720p/1080i HDTV?
I know it's too late now without buying more equipment, but I thought I'd ask anyhow. I got over-excited when I saw that I could buy this receiver for under $300 before delivery.

Thank you all in advance for you help -- I look forward to being able to contribute here eventually :-)
Todd
post #280 of 830 Old 12-01-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

1. it doesn't really matter how you hook up the speakers as long as you use an appropriate gauge of speaker wire, probably 14 AWG for that sized room but 16 should be fine. on the AVR side of things, I highly recommend banana plugs as the binding posts on the back of Denon AVR's are so bunched together that it is torture trying to slip bare wire in there, and a loose strand from shoving it in wrong can cause a short and trip your protection circuit. banana plugs are cheap and easy, just google GLS Audio banana plugs or go to monoprice.com

2. modern powered subs like your klipsch connect with a mono coaxial type cable, so the wiring sounds correct. the cable the installers put in should have an RCA jack (just like standard composite or component analog cables) on each end. there should be an input in the back of the sub that you plug in that cable that was pre-wired. on the back of the Denon there is a "SUB OUT" plug that the other end plugs into.

3. that receiver should be perfect, since the PS3 decodes all the audio for you and gives it to the receiver as multichannel PCM over HDMI. I have the PS3 with an AVR 888 (same as 2308) and if you just hook it up and set the PS3 to "Auto" for both Video and Audio settings everything should work just dandy. the PS3 will auto-detect that your TV can only accept up to 1080i, and then will auto-detect what audio formats to send to your receiver (everything up to 7.1 PCM)

if you haven't yet, read the following three FAQ's:

1. AVR FAQ at the top of the forum, so you understand all the new technology in modern receivers
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=968859

2. PS3 FAQ at the top of the Blu Ray forum, especially the part about audio settings
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1019115

3. the first post of the Denon AVR 1909/789 official thread, where I compiled an extensive FAQ which will be largely applicable to your 2308ci. it will be helpful when setting things up as Denons are a little confusing and have terrible manuals.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1050097

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #281 of 830 Old 12-02-2008, 06:43 PM

Hi dear members,

I'm looking into help to re-calibrate my home audio. I bought last year a Denon AVR-2308CI. Being totally green at that time (still I am) I made an Auto calibration and didn't like the sound and I mess up the best I could to make it sound the way I wanted. I will upgrade with new speakers and I would like to have good advice to make it right this time.

Here is what I bought:

- Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 7 V5 (2X 5-1/2 woofers, 1X 5-1/2 Mid, 1X 1" tweeter)

- Center: Paradigm CC-190 (2X 5-1/2 woofers, 1X 3-1/2 mid, 1X 1" tweeter)

- Sub: Paradigm PDR-8 (8" woofer)

I would like to know if it's possible to run an Auto Calibration based on the speaker parameters I choose. I would like to set my self the cross over frequency of the fronts and center and let the calibration process to decide the rest. Is this possible? From what I've been told, it is better to let the sub woofer handle all the bass and cross over the front to 80hz, center will probably around 100Hz.

From what I remember, when I ran auto calibration in the past, the receiver would set my fronts to large (Titan v3). When I was cranking up the volume a bit, they were "popping"

Also, I'm a bit lost as far of Audissey and MultiEQ. If someone could explain to me, it would be appreciated.

Last thing, if I need to use Manual settings over Auto, where I need to select that function to enable it?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Of course, if I'm not clear enough, let me know.

Regards & thanks,

Charles
post #282 of 830 Old 12-03-2008, 04:23 AM

Anyone.... please...

Charles
post #283 of 830 Old 12-03-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesj123 View Post

Hi dear members,

I'm looking into help to re-calibrate my home audio. I bought last year a Denon AVR-2308CI. Being totally green at that time (still I am) I made an Auto calibration and didn't like the sound and I mess up the best I could to make it sound the way I wanted. I will upgrade with new speakers and I would like to have good advice to make it right this time.

Here is what I bought:

- Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 7 V5 (2X 5-1/2 woofers, 1X 5-1/2 Mid, 1X 1" tweeter)

- Center: Paradigm CC-190 (2X 5-1/2 woofers, 1X 3-1/2 mid, 1X 1" tweeter)

- Sub: Paradigm PDR-8 (8" woofer)

I would like to know if it's possible to run an Auto Calibration based on the speaker parameters I choose. I would like to set my self the cross over frequency of the fronts and center and let the calibration process to decide the rest. Is this possible? From what I've been told, it is better to let the sub woofer handle all the bass and cross over the front to 80hz, center will probably around 100Hz.

From what I remember, when I ran auto calibration in the past, the receiver would set my fronts to large (Titan v3). When I was cranking up the volume a bit, they were "popping"

Also, I'm a bit lost as far of Audissey and MultiEQ. If someone could explain to me, it would be appreciated.

Last thing, if I need to use Manual settings over Auto, where I need to select that function to enable it?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Of course, if I’m not clear enough, let me know.

Regards & thanks,

Charles

Run auto calibration (make sure it's very quiet and to position the mic at all 6 positions)

After that, review the results and tweak whatever you like. You will usually tweak speaker size and crossover freq., its OK to do that.

You will do the tweaking on the manual setup section. there's not an auto or manual button, there's only one setting, when you do either auto or manual cal they will overwrite that setting.

By the way, if you happen to have a Harmony RC please tell me I have something to ask you.
post #284 of 830 Old 12-03-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesj123 View Post

Anyone.... please...

Charles

Charles, you should check out this post and follow the step by step instructions (download and print the attachment Word Doc, it's easier to follow):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

It explains how to go through Audyssey step-by-step, and how to tweak parameters after you finish. It's encouraged that you set all speakers to small, as Audyssey doesn't make that determination.

Here is the Audyssey FAQ from their site, lots of info here:
http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html

quoting:

Quote:

Why does Audyssey set my speakers to Large (or Small) when I know they are not?
MultEQ does not set the speakers to Large or Small. This is a decision made by each individual AVR manufacturer and each uses a different speaker roll-off frequency to make this decision. Audyssey recommends the decision should be made using 40 Hz as the roll- off frequency. That is to say, if a speaker is found to roll-off below 40 Hz it should be called Large and all other speakers should be called Small.

If your AVR manufacturer sets your speakers to Large then all content below the crossover frequency is lost as it is not redirected to the subwoofer. Audyssey recommends changing the speaker setting to Small manually after the calibration is finished.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #285 of 830 Old 12-03-2008, 02:53 PM

hey all, I need help...i have set up my avr888 and all is well except one thing...I cannot get sound from my Bluray. Video is good but no audio. Everything was set up using HDMI, assigned correctly (following directions from this site). Anyone have any suggestions?

Components:
Comcast DVR
Samsung 52a650
Panasonic BD35 bluray
Denon AVR888
thanks,
Paul
post #286 of 830 Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

1. did you set your BDP to send PCM audio? the 888 cannot accept bitstreamed TrueHD/DTS-MA audio.

2. did you make sure the "Input Mode" on the Denon is set to "Auto" so it recognizes the audio signal? check in the INPUT SETUP menu for the DVD/HDP input (whichever you assigned)

3. is the Denon getting any input signal? do you see any boxes lit up on the left (indicating incoming channels)? when you check the AUDIO INPUT SIGNAL information (in the INFORMATION menu) does it register that you are receiving a signal?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #287 of 830 Old 12-03-2008, 03:14 PM

thanks BP, I think you may have solved it. I believe the BDP is bitstreaming...I will check and get back i it does not work.
thanks again,
Paul
post #288 of 830 Old 12-03-2008, 04:48 PM

solved...thanks again!!!
post #289 of 830 Old 12-04-2008, 05:47 AM

Hello,
I just received my W4500 and I have a problem connecting it to my AV receiver. I' ve connected them through a ''Monster Cable'' HDMI cable (Denon Monitor Out -> Sony HDMI In), but it looks like the TV set can' t recognise the Denon! What is the problem?
post #290 of 830 Old 12-05-2008, 01:41 PM

I just picked up a Denon AVR--2308CI from Magnolia at Best Buy, last one they had, on clearance for $499. Seemed like a good deal, wasn't really what I was looking for, and I came home to AVSFORUM to find out what I have......and I am greatly disappointed to find non-GUI OSD. I haven't even opened the box yet and I think I am just going to take it right back there. There are so many features to consider, I loved the sound, was not thrilled with only 2 HDMI inputs, but everything else looked good......then theres the OSD issue. Now I also hear that Denon RC are pretty crappy, and then to hear the Denon customer service nightmare.....wow was I surprised. I always thought Denon was top notch.....well, tomorrow it goes back. Pisses me off as it's a 20 mile drive.....that place is gonna be nuts on a Saturday too......sigh. Back to the search I guess......
post #291 of 830 Old 12-05-2008, 02:07 PM

This is my first post here so I want to say thanks to everyone for the great information. I’ve read this entire thread and a good chunk of the longer 1709 thread.

I’m just getting back into A/V, and this is the System I built on a budget:
LG 50PG20 720p Plasma ($1200)
Denon AVR-888 ($350)
DirecTV H-21
LG DN798 DVD Player ($80)
Nintendo Wii ($250)
Yamaha NS-SP7800 5.1 surround system ($300)
Polk R50 Towers ($120)
Logitech Harmony One remote ($200)

The theater is in a small room (12x15x8) that has double doors that close off to the living room where the Polks are. I can definitely see the shortcomings of the budget speakers, but all things considered I am very pleased with how it sounds after a bit of tweaking. The next things on the list are definitely a decent sub for the theater room and a PS3 for the blu-ray.

So here is my issue:

Right now the I have the Polks running on the B channel but I want to run them on the Zone 2 amp if possible. The A/B setup works, but it would be nice to be able to run the Polks without the rest of the surround speakers. Also, I am hoping that there is a way I can EQ them differently to get the best sound possible.

I have been through the menus and it seems to me I have everything set correctly. AMP ASSIGN to Main+Zone2 with the polks plugged into the SBR + SBL outputs. But when I turn the Zone2 power on, nothing happens. I bought the receiver as an open box at CC and right now I’m worried the amp for zone2 is fried or something.

The one strange thing I noticed was in the INPUT DELETE Menu. It had a list of all the sources and most of them said “ON” so I deleted the ones I didn’t want to cycle through and renamed the others accordingly. The problem is that two of the sources I couldn’t change the values. DBS/SAT was set to “MAIN” and the DVD was set to “Zone2” rather than “ON” or “DELETED”

Is it possible to run both zones or either MAIN or Zone2 alone from the same imput? What are the restrictions of running Zone2?

The receiver is great, but the user manual sucks. They should just include a link to these forums instead.
post #292 of 830 Old 12-05-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoajax View Post

Can someone help me on this one?

I have the Harmony One remote and it is definitely doing the trick with my setup. The available list of commands is pretty comprehensive, but i did have to teach it a few things. All in all, this is probably the single component of my system i would recommend most.

The most useful aspect is that you can have a complete list of every single command you ever need for each device so its there if you need it, but you can also create a seperate list of functions for each activity that has the most commonly used commands from each device given the activity (watching TV vs. DVD vs listening to radio, etc.

I'm not sure about "quick select", i haven't played with these at all yet, i'm guessing it is different eq and/or processing configurations. I think the short answer is that if there is no command for it on the 888 remote, you won't be able to use the harmony for it. But if the 888 remote does have a function for it then it will work.

If you can use the "quick select" by navigating the menu with the 888 remote then of course it would be possible to perform the same navigation with the harmony, but probably easier to get up and push the button in that case.

edit: i thought more about it and when you use the activity buttons on the harmony "watch TV" for example, it will turn on all the correct devices and set the correct input on the reciever (nice). You can also tell the 888 to select the sound mode by source (MENU>PARAMETER>ADFM>ON) and have it remember the the last sound mode for each imput (MENU>MANUAL SETUP>AUDIO SETUP>AUTO SURROUND MODE).

I think you could use these features in combination and get pretty close to the net effect of the "quick select" function on the receiver.
post #293 of 830 Old 12-05-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Charles, you should check out this post and follow the step by step instructions (download and print the attachment Word Doc, it's easier to follow):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

It explains how to go through Audyssey step-by-step, and how to tweak parameters after you finish. It's encouraged that you set all speakers to small, as Audyssey doesn't make that determination.

Here is the Audyssey FAQ from their site, lots of info here:
http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html

quoting:

Hey, Thanks batpig,

I found that threat too and well explained.

I'm all set now.

Thanks for all

Charles
post #294 of 830 Old 12-05-2008, 02:47 PM

I am on day 2 of setting up my new AVR-888. The most glaring issue I am facing is that I cannot get sound other than sub on non-HD channels. HD channels sound incredible. I have tried all sorts of input and audio settings and have reached the meltdown point. Any help would be appreciated beyond explanation...

Setup:
AVR-888 out to Plasma TV with HDMI;
Directv HD box and DVD directly to TV with component cables; optical cords between directv box and dvd, and receiver.
post #295 of 830 Old 12-05-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakow View Post

So here is my issue:

Right now the I have the Polks running on the B channel but I want to run them on the Zone 2 amp if possible. The A/B setup works, but it would be nice to be able to run the Polks without the rest of the surround speakers. Also, I am hoping that there is a way I can EQ them differently to get the best sound possible.

first off, you can't EQ the zone 2 speakers AFAIK.

second, Zone 2 is ANALOG ONLY. that means the receiver will not take digital audio and output to Zone 2 outs. make sure for any sources you want to go out to Zone 2, you run a 2nd set of analog audio cables to the appropriate input on the Denon.

also, assuming everything is set up properly, you actually have to select the Zone 2 source, using either the remote or the REC OUT / ZONE 2 SOURCE button on the left side of the unit, under the input dial.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #296 of 830 Old 12-05-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:

first off, you can't EQ the zone 2 speakers AFAIK.

bummer.

Quote:

second, Zone 2 is ANALOG ONLY. that means the receiver will not take digital audio and output to Zone 2 outs. make sure for any sources you want to go out to Zone 2, you run a 2nd set of analog audio cables to the appropriate input on the Denon.

what a PITA. i guess that would require double the processors tho. makes sense.

Quote:

also, assuming everything is set up properly, you actually have to select the Zone 2 source, using either the remote or the REC OUT / ZONE 2 SOURCE button on the left side of the unit, under the input dial.

poop. sounds like i'm better off running the a/b setup.

Also, after i posted my question I realized that in the speaker setup i told it that i have no surround back speakers. i guess if i did go with the zone2 setup I would want to tell it that i do have surround back speakers and they are large, right?
post #297 of 830 Old 12-05-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

no, you only want it to say "yes" to surr.back speakers if you are running 7.1. That's why you re-assign the surr.back amps to "Zone 2", it becomes its own thing.

the problem with A/B speakers is that you don't have independent source or volume control. but as an FYI, if you do go that route, you can still use those unused surr.back amps by assigning them to "front B", otherwise the A/B speaker terminals both run off the same amps.

while Zone 2 has its downfalls with the analog only restriction, if you go to the trouble of grabbing some old RCA stereo cables you have lying around and hooking up the CD player or whatever you use for music in Zone 2, you will be able to watch TV/movies in surround sound in the main HT room while listening the music at the same time in the other room.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #298 of 830 Old 12-05-2008, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the quick and clear responses. very cool.

Quote:

the problem with A/B speakers is that you don't have independent source or volume control. but as an FYI, if you do go that route, you can still use those unused surr.back amps by assigning them to "front B", otherwise the A/B speaker terminals both run off the same amps.

this sounds like a good option.

Sooooo, where is the menu that allows me to assign the surr. back amps to the front B speakers? The only options in AMP ASSIGN are 7.1, zone2, bi-ampA, bi-ampB, 2ch.

maybe I'm missing something?
post #299 of 830 Old 12-05-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

it's sort of a trick, what you do is set them to bi-ampB which means that they will be duplicating the output of the Front B terminals... but then you just use the surr.back channels to single-amp them. again, the signal when you are bi-amping is identical from both sets of outputs, so it "tricks" the receiver into letting you use the surr.back amps to power the B speakers.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #300 of 830 Old 12-05-2008, 05:43 PM

cool. that makes sense. will they get full range?

my theater speakers have tiny 2" drivers so the crossover is set at 120Hz I hope this doesn't mean the polks only get that as well.

I promise no more questions until I try this out...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 888 7 1 Channel 5 1 2 Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi I O And Ser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page