the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 830 Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks batpig - I will check those out. I just realized I wasn't very clear in my post.......the "audio" I hear fine, it is the "dialogue" which sometimes seems underpowered/too quiet compared to the rest of the soundtrack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 830 Old 12-19-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
right, I understood. But those "compression" type features like DRC and "NIGHT" mode are designed specifically to deal with that problem.

You could also just bump up the center channel volume level +1 or 2 dB.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #333 of 830 Old 12-20-2008, 12:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Denon for Dummies

(apologies for the cross-post)

so, it was a slow week at work with my boss on vacation, and I decided to just go ahead and crank out a website so I could centralize my Denon knowledge in an accessible and useful form. I'd been thinking of doing it for a while but decided to get off my ass and get it done.

just in time to set up that new Denon you ordered for christmas!!

check it out at http://batpigworld.com/

thanks to everyone who has contributed knowledge and helped make this happen! unfortunately, only the first three sections have content at this point, but I wanted to get it out there as the "Setting Up your Denon AVR" section is complete and I figured some people will be working on it this weekend! I will try to get complete content up this week and proofread and whatnot.

open call to everyone:

1. I know some of you have been compiling a personal "tips & tricks" cheat sheet for your Denon AVR by copy/pasting notes and tips found in this and other threads -- if so, feel free to email it to me at batpigworld@gmail.com -- I will utilize this as a resource to add more useful information to the FADQ (frequently asked denon questions) section of the site.

2. if you notice any errors (especially if I haven't explained something correctly or if something is different on your specific model), have any criticism/suggestions, or notice something where I haven't given appropriate credit to anyone, please let me know!!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #334 of 830 Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 AM

Because of this forum, I just ordered my first projector based home theater system.This forum is an awesome resource of information. Accordingly this is my first post.

I just received my AVR-888 from amazon for $350 and it is amazing. As everyone has said, the interface isnt the most user friendly, but quite honestly, after a few hours, I feel that I have somewhat mastered the interface.

Here is my question and I apologize if it has been answered, but I have searched and seached, but I can't figure it out. One of the reasons that I purchased the avr888 is the upscaling function. I know that the manual says that it converts analog to digital, however does is upconvert digital to digital?

I have my cable box connected to the receive via HDMI 1.3 and then outputted to my hc1500 projector via HDMI 1.3. I was hoping that the upconversion would be able to take the standard def channels at 480p and upcovert them to my projector to 720p. It appears that it is only passing the signal through. The scaler is on "a to H" with the upconversion also on. Can HDMI signals be upconverted? I would hate to have to use component cables since my cable box actually had the HDMI output and the hidef channels look great.

Am I misunderstanding something? Sorry if this is an obvious question.
post #335 of 830 Old 12-22-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"A to H" = analog to HDMI

check out the link in my sig, the setup guide and the links discuss this. Very few sub-$1000 receivers to HDMI>HDMI scaling.

However, I wouldn't sweat the lack of this feature as the projector has to scale to 720p anyway, and it's only a useful feature if the receiver can do it BETTER than the projector (or your cable box), which isn't likely. The video scalers in most receivers aren't that impressive.

What you should do is test this out yourself on YOUR setup:

1. run component cables AND an HDMI cable from cable box to Denon. HDMI to projector. Leave the Denon set as is - "A to H" is on, resolution output to "Auto" (or "720p" if it doesn't "play nice" with the projector). Turn on a Standard Def channel.

2. flip back and forth between component output and HDMI output from the cable box. compare. when the Denon is getting component 480i or 480p from the cable box, it will scale and output 720p or whatever to the projector over HDMI. when the Denon is getting HDMI, it will just "pass through" at the same resolution, in which case the PROJECTOR will be doing the scaling.

In this way you can essentially directly compare the Denon's scaler to your projector's scaler. See if you can tell a difference.

As a third option, you can probably just set your cable box to output everything at 720p or 1080i, in which case the CABLE BOX would be doing the scaling. Try all three out and pick the one that works best for your setup. Chances are the differences will be fairly minimal.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #336 of 830 Old 12-22-2008, 12:37 PM

Batpig
Thank you so much for the response. I have spent hours trying to figure it out. I will take your suggestion and compare a component setup vs. hdmi pass through using the cable box to scale-up. I am also going to take a look at your link for more tidbits of good info. thanks again.
post #337 of 830 Old 12-23-2008, 06:35 PM

I have the AVR-2308ci receiver. I scanned through the thread and saw a post related to my concern but that portion of the post had not yet been answered.

We are having problems with the volume going up real loud during commercials, or even between channels the volume differs quite dramatically. Is there any sort of auto volume control on this thing to control this? It's getting pretty obnoxious.
post #338 of 830 Old 12-24-2008, 06:09 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I believe batpig said we have to go to at least the 3808 for the feature we both wish we had. Meanwhile the "night" feature does help. I see this is your first post, welcome. Asumming you are new to DTV be aware that your problem is part of this new world that includes many problems induced deliberatly and by incompetance of the broadcasters. Do Not always blame your equipment first, especially picture quality.

If you page back through this thread not to far looking for batpigs posts I think he answered this in more detail.

HTPC With OTA only, HD with Surround is so AWESOME!
post #339 of 830 Old 12-24-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

that is just the way commercials are broadcast, and everyone hates it.

your options are:

1. in your cable box settings there is probably a "dynamic range compression" or "DRC" setting for the audio output, minimizing the dynamic range of the cable box can help mitigate the problem a bit

2. You can also try DRC on the receiver side. In the Denon's PARAMETERS menu you can turn on the DRC when watching TV, but remember to turn it off later if you want full range on a movie or something (this setting isn't input specific).

3. You can use the "Night" mode, which has three levels (low/mid/high) on the 2308/888. I find the "mid" setting works fairly well when I'm just watching TV, although again remember to turn it off later when listening to music or anything because it's a global setting.

4. Develop a really quick remote trigger finger on that volume control, or use the mute button. You can go into VOLUME CONTROL under OPTION SETUP and change the function of the "mute" button to "-20dB" or "-40dB", and then when you hit the mute button it won't mute it completely, but just make everything softer in volume and then when the commercial is over you unmute.

5. Upgrade to a '09 model, which has introduced DYNAMIC VOLUME specifically to deal with this crap

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #340 of 830 Old 12-25-2008, 11:43 PM

I have a 888 on its way from Amazon and I have found this section most interesting.

Thanks to all for all the info on here.

Especially thanks to batpig - he has spent a lot of time on here helping others out and I will be getting to your Denon setup guide as soon as my 888 shows up and I can get my hands on it.
post #341 of 830 Old 12-29-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1 View Post

I checked and neither 889 or 2309 have quick select commands in Harmony data base. You must find a model with a remote that has the quick select on buttons. PITA! If Harmony would just let you search and pick! Other then that I am Really Impressed with the remote and the system.

Ok, I finally got my harmony 550 and after some research, I tried the database for the AVR-5308CI and it has some useful commands:

Quick Select
Night mode(you can also use learning capability)
Parameter (which I use to do a sequence so I can change the restorer from 96 to HQ without navigating through the menu)

Just as a reminder, I wanted to find quick select buttons for my remote control to be able to change some settings in the same input. i.e. your configuration (the volume of each channel) gives you perfect surround at only a range of db if you lower the volume too much, you'll need to increase volume on the rear channels to keep a very good surround sound (I believe Dynamic volume solves that on 889 and 2309). Another use is when I listen to music when sleeping or resting I use very low sub woofer and high rear volume settings.

I hope this will be useful for some of you.
post #342 of 830 Old 12-29-2008, 04:15 PM

Another new owner of an 888 right here. Ordered from amazon on saturday with free standard shipping. shipped today (monday) and estimated to be here on wednesday!!!
post #343 of 830 Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Also ordered an 888 used from warehousedeals on amazon for only $279. Should be here Wednesday.
post #344 of 830 Old 12-29-2008, 07:11 PM

I received my 888 from Amazon, but won't get a chance to swap out my 7-yr old Yamaha for a few days. After reading about the Dynamic Volume control available on the newer 889 model, I'm wondering if I should sell or return the 888. My wife's ears are sensitive to loud noises, but she sometimes has difficulty hearing dialogue. Can I come close to accomplishing what Dynamic Volume control can do using manual settings or Night Mode on the 888?

Thanks.
post #345 of 830 Old 12-29-2008, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

no, but the 889 is twice the price.

the new Audyssey features appear to be the real deal, so if you can afford it going for the 889/2309 or even the 1909/789 is probably worth it. however, the 888 is a fantastic value right now. give it a shot with the 888 for a while, turn Night Mode to "Medium" setting and see if that helps with the wifey. If she's still bitching about how loud the commercials on TV or explosions in movies are, a year from now you'll be able to get the 889 for the same price as the NEXT wave of new models comes through...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #346 of 830 Old 12-29-2008, 11:05 PM

So I just got my AVR 888 and I'm running it through a 7.1 system (fronted by two Def Tech BP6b towers). I'm using a PS3 for BD movies and my question is this...

I know the 888 cannot decode DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD, but it CAN receive it via LPCM from my PS3 which can do the decoding. So:

A) What options should I manipulate on the PS3 menu to ensure I'm getting these HD codecs, and likewise for the AVR?

B) Is it true that PS3 can only do TrueHD, and not DTS-HD (which is what most BD's are using)?

C) How do I know if I'm getting either one?

Also, can someone please exlain what "Matrix" is to me?

Anyways, I was so close to spending 800 on a new AVR, and keeping my old ratty speakers. But thanks to the advice in here, I got a great deal on both the Denon 888 AND the Definitive Technology BP6b tower speakers, which blow my mind, by the way.
post #347 of 830 Old 12-30-2008, 06:10 AM

Howdy.

I'm looking at getting an AVR-888 but there's one thing I need to know.

I'll be using it primarily with a PS3 that'll just output in PCM. But I might need audio delay - is that available in this setup? The manual says it can't be used in DIRECT mode, but I'm not sure if that's what I'll have to use for the PS3.

Thanks for any help.
post #348 of 830 Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon08 View Post

Also, can someone please exlain what "Matrix" is to me?

Matrix is that movie with Ted Theodore Logan . . . oh wait.

Matrixing audio involves taking a stereo signal and manipulating the left and right channel to give you a "psuedo-surround" for 5.1 or 7.1. It is also used to widen the stereo effect on boom boxes and mini systems. Polk Audio used use an acoustic version of this in the '70s by using some out of phase speaker wiring on their TOTL speakers. It as quite interesting but never really caught on because of the problems with positioning the speakers and the small 'sweet spot' it created.

"What is truth?" - Pontius Pilate
"I am the way and the truth and the light" - Jesus Christ
post #349 of 830 Old 12-31-2008, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A) What options should I manipulate on the PS3 menu to ensure I'm getting these HD codecs, and likewise for the AVR?

you should read the PS3 FAQ at the top of the Blu RAy forum, tons of good information there.

Assuming you have updated to the latest firmware on your PS3....

On the PS3, there are two places you adjust the audio. First, under the "Video Settings" you need to set HDMI audio output to PCM.

Then, under the "Display Settings", just walk through the HDMI video/audio setup, and let it "auto" detect what your display/receiver can handle. It should detect the highest resolution that your display supports, and will detect that the 888 handles pretty much anything up to 7.1 PCM (you will see all the formats on the list).

That's it! If you have done it correctly, when playing a Blu Ray you will see "MULTI CH IN" on the display (since you have 7.1 it may also say "+ PLIIx" if you choose to matrix 5.1 > 7.1)

Quote:

B) Is it true that PS3 can only do TrueHD, and not DTS-HD (which is what most BD's are using)?

C) How do I know if I'm getting either one?

No, with the latest firmware the PS3 decodes EVERYTHING including DTS-HD/MA. Since the Denon will only say "MULTI CH", you just check on the PS3 by hitting the "Select" button and it should display what audio track you are outputting.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #350 of 830 Old 12-31-2008, 12:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohjam View Post

I'll be using it primarily with a PS3 that'll just output in PCM. But I might need audio delay - is that available in this setup? The manual says it can't be used in DIRECT mode, but I'm not sure if that's what I'll have to use for the PS3.

The reason you can't use delay with DIRECT mode is that the whole point of DIRECT mode is to disable all unecessary processing in the receiver, i.e. you are just getting the "direct" audio signal without any processing, tone controls, etc.

You can definitely utilize audio delay in other surround modes.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #351 of 830 Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 PM

Is it me, or has my PQ diminished since running video through my avr instead of straight to the TV before? Should I purchase some kind of HDMI splitter for my ps3 so I can run video straight to the set and audio through the avr?
post #352 of 830 Old 01-02-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

it's you, I've calibrated my plasma with HDMI both through the AVR and separate, and the results are identical.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #353 of 830 Old 01-03-2009, 03:11 PM

I just got a new AVR 888 and all sounds good except a can't get it to play DTS from my LG DVD player recorder.

I assigned DVD/HDP to HDMI1, input source as HDMI , Decode Mode as AUTO.

I get same results when I set Decode Mode to DTS

Can anyone point to a quick setup help or know anything special that has to be done for DTS?

I did set up speakers with auto setup using Audyssey.
post #354 of 830 Old 01-03-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

if input mode is Auto it should work, there is no "setting" on the receiver to enable/disable different surround formats.

in situations like this, 99% of the time it's the SOURCE and not the receiver.

1. are you SURE you selected a DVD with a DTS soundtrack?
2. if yes, are you SURE you actually selected that DTS soundtrack on the DVD?
3. if both of those are out, double-check the settings on your DVD player and make sure the "digital audio out" or something like that is set to allow bitstream for both DTS and Dolby Digital.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #355 of 830 Old 01-03-2009, 03:45 PM

I have a 23089CI, two bookshelf Definitive Pro 1000 spekers and a center channel. The first time I ran Auto Setup it worked fine. However I moved some of my speakers a little bit so I wanted to re run it. Now, it is giving me an error meassage on the first step (after it tones twice when it checks the FL speaker). The message says
"Caution!
Mic or Sp: None"

What is strange is that Music/TV sound comes out of the FL speaker so I "assume" it is hooked up fine and the Mic worked fine just a few days ago s I doubt it is that. The manual only says to check speaker and mic connection when you get this message.

I really hope I figure this out because I need the Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

Thanks
post #356 of 830 Old 01-03-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

when all else fails: reset the microprocessor. instructions in the manual (pg 60 something)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #357 of 830 Old 01-04-2009, 08:58 AM

Thanks Batpig you put me in the right place All is good.
post #358 of 830 Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 AM

n00B questions - No Cable Signal to HDMI output

My equipment: Time Warner Cable Box, Denon AVR-2308CI, Samsung LCD TV (LN52A650A1F)

Problem: My AVR to TV output is HDMI. When I connect Cable to AVR (HDMI) I get signal on TV. However when I connect Cable to AVR with Component or RCA cables, I get an error message on TV saying it detected no signals (but I have audio through the AVR).

Isn't the 2308CI supposed to pass the analog signals through HDMI?

Please note the 2308CI is still using default settings.

Thank you.
post #359 of 830 Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

if you haven't touched the default settings, that means video conversion is enabled and it should work fine with your TV. the 2308ci will transcode analog VIDEO to HDMI output to your TV.

usually in situations like this, there is a setting wrong. double check in the HDMI VIDEO settings (under MANUAL SETUP) that the i/p scaler is set to "A to H", and the other settings are still on "AUTO".

if all that is correct, you probably need to correctly assign your inputs. I assume you will use "TV/CBL" for the cable box, so make sure that under INPUT SETUP in the "TV/CBL" section, the ASSIGN settings have actually been set on the correct component video input or HDMI input. Also make sure Video Conversion is still set to "ON" in the INPUT SETUP menu for "TV/CBL" input, I believe this setting is in the OTHER sub-menu at the bottom of the INPUT SETUP menu.

See the setup guide linked in my signature for more info, it may help clear things up.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #360 of 830 Old 01-04-2009, 05:20 PM

I see I have work to do.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 888 7 1 Channel 5 1 2 Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi I O And Ser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page