the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 830 Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i got a 2308 last month and hooked everything up and almost everything worked fine, but when i go to watch tv it says "DVI Alert-- Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please use the YPrPb component connection to watch TV." I have a Sony 40xbr4. Pace HDTV cable from Brighthouse Cable. It never said the DVI Alert when i had the cable box hooked up to the tv via hmdi, it just says it when hdmi running from box to 2308 and hmdi from 2308 to tv.
help me please.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 830 Old 01-04-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
are you using a DVI-HDMI adapter anywhere in the chain? that's bizarre if you are not.

it's possible your cable box may need a firmware update. anyway, if it doesn't go away, either switch to component cables from cable box to Denon, or just run HDMi video straight to TV from the cable box (bypassing the AVR) and run an optical or digital coax cable to the Denon for audio.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #363 of 830 Old 01-04-2009, 07:53 PM

not using a dvi hdmi at all. i'll go see if the box needs an update later this week. i dont get it, but this reciever is above my head so i 'll just have to see.
thanks
post #364 of 830 Old 01-04-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

the thing with hdmi switching is that -- even though the combination of any two components works fine together -- sometimes putting a 3rd device in the middle causes HDCP "handshake" goofiness... just one of those things, and 99% of the time a cable box is involved.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #365 of 830 Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

if you haven't touched the default settings, that means video conversion is enabled and it should work fine with your TV. the 2308ci will transcode analog VIDEO to HDMI output to your TV.

usually in situations like this, there is a setting wrong. double check in the HDMI VIDEO settings (under MANUAL SETUP) that the i/p scaler is set to "A to H", and the other settings are still on "AUTO".

if all that is correct, you probably need to correctly assign your inputs. I assume you will use "TV/CBL" for the cable box, so make sure that under INPUT SETUP in the "TV/CBL" section, the ASSIGN settings have actually been set on the correct component video input or HDMI input. Also make sure Video Conversion is still set to "ON" in the INPUT SETUP menu for "TV/CBL" input, I believe this setting is in the OTHER sub-menu at the bottom of the INPUT SETUP menu.

See the setup guide linked in my signature for more info, it may help clear things up.

OK, I've checked my connections again and gone through the video setup in the AVR. The i/p scaler is set to "A to H", and the other settings are still on "AUTO". I found that I didn't have to change anything. In fact when I move my Component input from Comp 1 to 2, the AVR auto detects the position.

So, I connected Component (+optical audio) from Cable box to AVR (using Comp 1). I connect AVR to TV via HDMI. In the video Setup for Cable/TV input, I have the following settings: HDMI (none), Audio (Optical 2), Component (1-RCA...........it says RCA not Comp), PC (None). Still, the TV says no signal.

Until I can get this to work, I now have HDMI from Cable to TV and get my sound from the AVR via Optical cable. Also the HDMI from AVR to TV is playing nice with my DVD. Just can't get it to carry Cable signals from Component input (also tried Composite and S-Video and it won't accept the signals). I really wish i could get it to work. I've asked Time Warner and they say I'm using the latest firmware for my Cable Box (Scientific Atlanta Explorer
® 8240C and 8240HDC Digital-Only DVR with M-Card Interface).

Thanks, again!
post #366 of 830 Old 01-05-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

silly question, but did you disconnect the HDMI cable from the cable box to TV when you tried running it through the Denon? My SA cable box doesn't output any other video when it detects an HDMI connection.

It should work, that is pretty much the exact setup I have (component video + digital audio to Denon, then HDMI to my display).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #367 of 830 Old 01-05-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

silly question, but did you disconnect the HDMI cable from the cable box to TV when you tried running it through the Denon? My SA cable box doesn't output any other video when it detects an HDMI connection.

It should work, that is pretty much the exact setup I have (component video + digital audio to Denon, then HDMI to my display).

As a matter of fact I initially had both HDMI and Comp out from the Cable Box. Then I thought it might be an issue so I powered everything down, disconnected HDMI and still had same problem.

Some folks may wonder why I'm not satisfied with just one perfectly working direct HDMI connection to TV. Here's my silly reason: The missus just wants to watch TV and use the Cable remote. Unfortunately my Time Warner remote does not have a working code for the 2308CI. Anything to do with the AVR means I get numerous calls at work. So the direct HDMI allows her to use just the Cable remote with sound from TV.

I wanted to have a 2nd setup with Comp via AVR that allows me to set up my Harmony remote so when I watch TV I can use the equipment I paid for!! I know I can change the sound output from TV to the AVR but having to switch this back and forth is a lot of work.
post #368 of 830 Old 01-05-2009, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Batpig,

What time of year do Denon's current year's models usually come out? I have my eye on an 888 and was thinking when this year's models are released the 888 will be 2 years old and I might even get a better price than what they're selling for now.
post #369 of 830 Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think last year's models came out in June or July.

Honestly though, unless you are really scraping for cash, how much is it really worth it to wait another 6 months to save 50 bucks? At that point, no store will still have it so you'll be buying off of ebay. The 2307ci still goes for like $250-300 on ebay, and the 887 for a little less. But if you're willing to go on ebay, you can currently buy used 888's for under $300 also.

So you can go that route, and troll ebay for a few months, I bet you will be able to find an 888 for under $300 shipped. Maybe you could find one for $250-270 shipped if you are really dedicated. I guess it's up to you how much saving that extra 50-100 bucks is worth.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #370 of 830 Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 PM

OK, I've gone through the entire thread and it seems several other folks have the same issue as me, but I never saw a response.

We have set up a new 888, and we are only two-channel right now. (We're in a small apartment and don't really see the need to go 5.1, or even 2.1, due to size and noise limitations.) We are in the process of getting DirectTV for HDTV, but in the meanwhile I have hooked up the Dish Network DVR (currently just std TV), and also I hooked up our Linksys Music Bridge. (I'll eventually hook up the DVD player and CD player, but we're still figuring out where everything will live...)

I get both picture and sound from the DVR, and sound from the music bridge, but in both cases, the sound is very quiet--I have to go to -30 dB to get it where I can hear it reasonably well. It just seems like we aren't getting much power to the speakers.

I did "manual" setup, not "auto". I saw that someone had to futz with the equalizer to get the sound higher... is that the only solution? Thanks in advance.
post #371 of 830 Old 01-06-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

a few questions:

1. how are you hooked up? 2-channel analog cables?
2. what type of speakers? if they are inefficient and/or 4-ohm speakers, you may need to crank the volume a bit
3. are you sure that "Night" mode is off, and there is no DRC (range compression) enabled anywhere?

Can you also try to clarify what you mean by hearing it "reasonably well" at -30dB? If you mean that -30dB gives you a normal listening level for music/TV, then I don't think that's abnormal at all. Does that mean at -20dB it's getting pretty loud and -10dB it's REALLY loud? because that sounds totally normal to me.

A lot depends on your speakers/room, but as an example in my setup 2-channel music is soft at -40dB, normal level at -30dB, and pretty damn loud at -20dB. It also varies by source, as I find (for example) Blu Ray and HD DVD soundtracks are a little softer and often need to get to -20 or -15dB for full effect.

If you mean that at -30dB it's barely audible, then that may be a problem.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #372 of 830 Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 AM

I agree with batpig. My system is good old archaic 2 channel (for now) and my settings for listening are -40 for background, -30 for listening when I'm doing something else and -20 to -10 if I'm just sitting there listening for pleasure. when I first set it up I had to fool around with surround modes to get 2 chan stereo for instance, the first DVD I put in, EP 3 of Star Wars, all I could hear were the left and right effects. Cool, but no dialog.

"What is truth?" - Pontius Pilate
"I am the way and the truth and the light" - Jesus Christ
post #373 of 830 Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

actually, I think that might make those three movies better to watch

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #374 of 830 Old 01-13-2009, 05:12 PM

is there a big difference between hooking up the cable box and the blu-ray to the avr and then HDMI to the tv, or just leaving everything hooked up as it was and just running optical from the avr to the tv for the sound? this is my first receiver with the HDTV.
post #375 of 830 Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 AM

I'm also confused with the different sound settings, what are the differences between neural, Dolby PL, Dolby Cinema?
post #376 of 830 Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

paul, you should check out the setup guide on my website as well as the FAQ.

you want all audio going to the AVR first, and then video to the TV. The video doesn't necessarily have to be routed through the AVR, but all audio should be.

The different surround modes are just different options for matrixing multichannel sound from a stereo signal. There are explanation in the Denon manual, and a simple google search will turn up tons of info explaining what they all are.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #377 of 830 Old 01-14-2009, 10:34 AM

thanks, I have looked at your website, and many thanks, it's a lifesaver. I think I have a handle on it now, which is saying a lot because two days ago I had no clue what to do.
post #378 of 830 Old 01-15-2009, 05:10 AM

Sony HW10
Denon 2308ci
EMP HTP 551 5.1
Sony Bluray S550
Brighthouse Cable

So my question is this; from what I can gather the Denon doesn't have True-HD audio decoding capability. No concern with the Bluray player because it's doing all the decoding anyway. Will I have significant audio quality issues when watching an HD cable program? And is that the price I pay for being cheap and not grabbing the 2808 while it was available/on sale

FYI I'm upgrading from a 57" rear projector and a 2.1 audio/1991yr Techniques receiver.....So everything will sound and look better
Brian
post #379 of 830 Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipper View Post

Will I have significant audio quality issues when watching an HD cable program?

I'm confused - what makes you think you would have audio quality issues with HD cable?

HD cable uses standard 5.1 Dolby Digital which pretty much any receiver from the last 10 years can handle perfectly. Can you clarify what issue you are concerned about?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #380 of 830 Old 01-15-2009, 03:41 PM

Batpig;
I think you're politely trying to tell me I'm misinformed.....Well you're right...I guess I thought "true HD" referred to the audio aspect of HD TV.....

I'm being inundated with too many terms...

Will keep reading..
post #381 of 830 Old 01-15-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TrueHD is one of the new lossless audio codecs, and it (along with DTS Master Audio) is only used on Blu Ray and HD DVD. TrueHD vs regular Dolby Digital is roughly the equivalent of CD audio vs. MP3's (lossless vs. compressed).

HD Cable still uses regular, compressed Dolby Digital 5.1 for audio, so there is no compromise at all on that end. Your cable box will send the DD 5.1 to the receiver for decoding.

It's all confusing at first, but it will start to come together soon, don't worry

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #382 of 830 Old 01-17-2009, 09:33 PM

Hello, I have been reading here for a few weeks. I have made my purchases, Samsung LN46A630, Denon AVR 888, Polk Audio RM-6750, I have a Motorola DCH6200 Digital Cable Box, and will buy an upconverting DVD, with HDMI (I bought three HDMI cables for this purpose). I am waiting for the TV to arrive later this week, I have started wiring my speakers and I am nervous about hooking all this up, especially from things I have read about the Denon Receiver. I think I can go Cable Box and DVD to 888 via HDMI, HDMI to TV, and then just audio cables from cd player to Receiver. But, I am wondering about all these conversion settings, etc. I know I will spend more time on Batpig's website in the future. But, thus far, does my plan sound feasible. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #383 of 830 Old 01-18-2009, 01:29 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back here. THANKS, batpig, I checked out the volumes we need to hear stuff, and I guess it's actually normal. I tend to put it at about -30 dB for just regular TV, and -25 dB for some shows that seem to be pretty quiet. I guess this is normal...

We've been very happy with the AVR, and it's nice to know it's functioning normally!
post #384 of 830 Old 01-20-2009, 12:35 AM

I am looking to get either the 888 or 889, just curious whats the differences between the two? If it helps, I am going to be use it for a 7.1 system in my 18' x 18' room.
post #385 of 830 Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

889 = this year's (09) model
888 = last year's (08) model

the biggest changes are:

1. two more HDMI inputs (4 instead of 2)
2. new Audyssey features (Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Vol)
3. full HD audio decoding

they both have Audyssey multEQ and Faroudja DCDi scaling to 1080p for analog sources.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #386 of 830 Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
My $.02, those are features you will definetly wish you had if not now then later and if you can afford the 889 and don't get it you will regret it. Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Vol you will immeadiately be thankfull for even if you don't have Blueray or need more HDMI inputs now.

HTPC With OTA only, HD with Surround is so AWESOME!
post #387 of 830 Old 01-20-2009, 01:34 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by medforddawg View Post

Hello, I have been reading here for a few weeks. I have made my purchases, Samsung LN46A630, Denon AVR 888, Polk Audio RM-6750, I have a Motorola DCH6200 Digital Cable Box, and will buy an upconverting DVD, with HDMI (I bought three HDMI cables for this purpose). I am waiting for the TV to arrive later this week, I have started wiring my speakers and I am nervous about hooking all this up, especially from things I have read about the Denon Receiver. I think I can go Cable Box and DVD to 888 via HDMI, HDMI to TV, and then just audio cables from cd player to Receiver. But, I am wondering about all these conversion settings, etc. I know I will spend more time on Batpig's website in the future. But, thus far, does my plan sound feasible. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey! I'm right there with ya on the AVR-888 and Polk RM-6750 combo! And to these ears, it's an excellent matchup, especially when running the audio from the PS3 (Blu-ray) into the receiver via HDMI. Still finessing some of the hookup options (example: trying to figure out how to get the 888 to identify the optical audio out from my satellite box-- paging batpig! ) but even after running the manual setup, the jump up in quality from my previous home theatre was astounding.

post #388 of 830 Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 PM

Liked: 17
Okay, from the ever-lovin' batpig Denon guide:

Q: Does the Denon on-screen display (OSD) show up over HDMI? And will it overlay the volume bar on top of the video when I change the volume?

A: The only Denon models which can display the OSD over HDMI are those Denons with analog-to-digital video conversion. The Denon OSD is an analog 480i signal, so if the AVR cannot convert analog input to HDMI output, the OSD will not display. For '07 and '08 models, that means you need the 230X/88X model or higher; for '09 models, that means you need the 1909/789 or higher (see the Denon Model Numbers section of this website for more info).

However, when viewing a component video or HDMI source, the OSD will never overlay on top of the video signal. The screen will blank out for a second or two, and then the display will resync with the OSD and the white-text-on-black-background OSD will appear. When you are done and exit the OSD, the screen will blank out again and then it will resync with the video.

The only time you will see an OSD overlay (for example, the volume bar) on top of the video image is when you are viewing an S-video or composite video source.

HELPFUL HINT: If you have an HDMI source hooked up to the "HDP" input, the OSD will only appear if you also have assigned a component video input to the "HDP" name. This is strange behavior, but the HDP input can only be associated with hi-def video, namely component or HDMI. Since there are no composite/s-video inputs associated with the "HDP" name, if you set the component video assignment to "none" the Denon receiver disables video conversion for the HDP input (as the only possible input left is HDMI). For some reason, this also disables the OSD. To get the OSD to appear over HDMI when using the HDP input, just assign a spare component video (RCA-1,2,3) input to the "HDP" name.

So does this mean that if I unplug the HDMI cable from my plasma and run a simple RCA video line from the "Monitor" port on the back of the 888 and into the Video 1 input on the plasma, the OSD will then show up?

Sorry if this is a stupid question... trying to work out the details before I get home so I can just implement the fix without having to fiddle around with the trial and error routine.
post #389 of 830 Old 01-20-2009, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

the OSD will show up on any input, it's the OVERLAY of the OSD on top of the video image that is different.

it doesn't matter what cable you use out to the plasma, it's about the INPUT source.

if the input is S-Video/Composite (i.e. old school NTSC 480i) the OSD and volume bar will overlay on top of the video

if the input is component/hdmi, the OSD will not overlay and instead the screen will go black and the white text will appear

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #390 of 830 Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

example: trying to figure out how to get the 888 to identify the optical audio out from my satellite box-- paging batpig!

how are you connected from the SAT box for video? if you are using HDMI for video you need to set the "input mode" to "digital" to force the Denon to look for the audio on the optical input. If you leave it on "auto" it will go for the highest priority, which is HDMI.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 888 7 1 Channel 5 1 2 Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi I O And Ser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page