the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 830 Old 02-22-2009, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They are set to large and I just read in this forum that they need to be set to small. I'll try setting them to small and see what happens. I'll post later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 830 Old 02-22-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

ok, follow-up question: are your speakers set to "large"? if they are, the only thing the sub will ever play is dedicated LFE material.

Unless he also has "LFE+MAIN" turned on in sub setup, correct?
post #453 of 830 Old 02-22-2009, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 940
that's where I was headed

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #454 of 830 Old 03-01-2009, 05:42 PM

Finally got to start hooking up my AVR 888 and PA-120 sub today after grandkids left.

Pretty simple setup with HD cable box and Sony Blu-Ray hooked up via HDMI to 888, then HDMI to TV. All work fine.......except...

Can't figure out how to watch TV with AVR on standby. In fact, can't figure out how to put it IN standby!

Read in Batpig's FAQ about HDMI control, but didn't see how to execute.

Read through this thread looking for clues as well...no joy.

Can't read the manual since it disappeared after grandkids left Tried to find one on-line, but computer couldn't read the pdf file I found.

Looking for a little help: how can I watch TV with the AVR in standby, and how do I put it in standby in the first place

Appreciate the advice, and appreciate the patience

cheers
post #455 of 830 Old 03-01-2009, 07:17 PM

I am having issues with video passing through this denon reciever. I have connected direct tv tuner via hdmi but only get a minutes worth of viewing before my projector goes blank. I am thinking this is a handshake problem because i have hooked the direc tv tuner direct to the display and have no problems. I have also tried connection with ps3 via hdmi and also component, all I get with this connection is a "snowy" picture. Can anyone give me some guidance, My display is projector with vga out...Using hdfury for conversion to the display, so I need to address this denon issue because I have only one connection for video. The audio portion of the direct tv connection is fine, just video issues. HElp!!!
post #456 of 830 Old 03-01-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupdawg View Post

Can't figure out how to watch TV with AVR on standby. In fact, can't figure out how to put it IN standby!

Read in Batpig's FAQ about HDMI control, but didn't see how to execute.

Read through this thread looking for clues as well...no joy.

Can't read the manual since it disappeared after grandkids left Tried to find one on-line, but computer couldn't read the pdf file I found.

Looking for a little help: how can I watch TV with the AVR in standby, and how do I put it in standby in the first place

Standby is basically just hitting OFF on the remote. The front standby button will have a red ring around it while it is in standby. True "off" means pressing the little toggle button to the right of the ON/standby button.

But... you can't watch a source through the AVR while it is in standby. The unit must be on-- no signals pass through it when it is off.

The HDMI Control feature is not available on this model either, btw. Only on certain CI models, like the 3808CI or 4308CI w/ an upgrade package or on certain '09 models.

Also, for your PDF file-- what reader are you using? Try uninstalling your PDF reader and re-installing it. Or try Foxit Reader as an alternative. The manual I downloaded was right from Denon's site, and works fine: http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3633.asp
post #457 of 830 Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 PM

Pixelman

thanks for the info and link. I did update the Adobe reader and downloaded the manual with no problems.

Appreciate the spoonfeeding. I was trying every combo of "switch" settings trying to get the signal without AVR on. Guess I misinterpreted Batpig's FAQ and thought it applied to this AVR as well.

As an alternative, is there a way to go component from cable box direct to tv inorder to use tv without AVR? Would the HDMI connection then "trump" the component connection when AVR was on?

Again, appreciate the spoonfeeding!

cheers
post #458 of 830 Old 03-01-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupdawg View Post

As an alternative, is there a way to go component from cable box direct to tv inorder to use tv without AVR? Would the HDMI connection then "trump" the component connection when AVR was on?

Well, depending on your TV & cable box, you could run both the HDMI through the receiver to the TV and component directly to the TV, sure. Since you'd have to then switch inputs on the TV, there wouldn't be any 'trumping' going on that I'm aware of.
post #459 of 830 Old 03-26-2009, 04:09 PM

Hi Everyone......

As you can tell, this is my first post, as I am at my wits end! Glad I found this place though...it will give me some intel that I need with this unit.

I bought my AVR-888 from ecost, like others have. My problem is the HDMI switching. I have to the , and from my PS3, I have it connected to . I get nothing. No video, No audio. Nada.

I did all the input assignments...which really is pretty simple, especially since I only have the PS3 connected to it. I read BatPig's FAQ, and I reset the microprocessor, and still no luck. I know the works, since I see the GUI on the screen to configure all this happy stuff.

What are the chances that this HDMI switching piece is busted? Maybe some pointers I should look for?

I spent 2 days, using different cables, etc....and I can't get it to work. I have a new Samsung LN52A750 TV.

Thanks in advance...
- Mark
post #460 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 03:23 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
You did switch the TV to the correct HDMI input right?

HTPC With OTA only, HD with Surround is so AWESOME!
post #461 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 09:05 AM

Yeah, I have the right HDMI because I do see the GUI from the Denon.....

Thanks,
- Mark
post #462 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

do you have any other HDMI devices or is it only with the PS3?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #463 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maansman View Post

I bought my AVR-888 from ecost, like others have. My problem is the HDMI switching. I have to the , and from my PS3, I have it connected to . I get nothing. No video, No audio. Nada.

Hey-- I had an issue like this once with my PS3. To fix it I had to do a "video output reset" on the PS3 itself. To do this PS3 output reset, turn the PS3 off. Then, press & hold the power button on the PS3 itself for at least 5 seconds until it beeps. Its worth a try, and won't hurt anything if it didn't need to be reset.
post #464 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

that's where I'm going with my question -- if the problem is only the PS3 (HDMI video seems to be working since the OSD is showing) it's probably because the PS3 needs to resync the video to HDMI output.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #465 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 12:32 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help...

I tried the PS3 video reset, and no good. I even did the "Auto" video on the PS3 as others have mentioned to talk to the Denon, and that was a no go.

I had my cable box hooked up to the other HDMI, and that does not work either...so it's just not a PS3 issue....it sure is the receiver.....

- Mark
post #466 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 02:00 PM

Be sure to try another HDMI cable before you give up on the Denon...
post #467 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

Be sure to try another HDMI cable before you give up on the Denon...

I tried 3 cables..........bummer!
post #468 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maansman View Post

I tried 3 cables..........bummer!

Also, try another HDMI input on the TV... I know the "HDMI input 1" of my my Samsung 67A750 doesn't like my Denon very much.
post #469 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Also, try another HDMI input on the TV... I know the "HDMI input 1" of my my Samsung 67A750 doesn't like my Denon very much.

I tried all (4) inputs......It's crazy....at least I know I am looking at all the points you guys are.....the more heads the better!

- Mark
post #470 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 02:44 PM

I guess you've tried a Denon processor reset too? (you'll lose all your settings, but it could possibly kick it into gear...)
post #471 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:

I guess you've tried a Denon processor reset too? (you'll lose all your settings, but it could possibly kick it into gear...)

Yup.......3 times.

It just seems like an odd thing to be defective...especially since Denon "Repaired" the unit to factory new.

-Mark
post #472 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 03:07 PM
tc1
Advanced Member

Are you sure those HDMI cables are "HDCP" compliant? I understand that the PS3 is absolute on that.

post #473 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

it's not the cables, that wouldn't explain why the cable box has problems too and he has tried like 3 different cables also. at this point it's looking like a defective unit.

besides, there are no "non HDCP compliant" HDMI cables, the cable just transmits the data.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #474 of 830 Old 03-27-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

it's not the cables, that wouldn't explain why the cable box has problems too and he has tried like 3 different cables also. at this point it's looking like a defective unit.

besides, there are no "non HDCP compliant" HDMI cables, the cable just transmits the data.

Yeah, it's beginning to look like a bad unit......though I am glad I have done everything here what you all suggested...so we are all thinking on the same page.

I called Denon, and the tech said exactly what you said in your FAQ...no need to mess with the settings, HDMI should work right out of the box.

Ecost approved a return for replacement, but..they have none in stock. In fact, most of the 'higher end' Denon's are out of stock...so, I have to think of my strategy. Denon did give me the address of a repair shop about 40 miles away in Brooklyn, so maybe I ill take a trip and drop it off..it will just cost me gas.

Thanks everyone for helping me here...it means alot.

- Mark
post #475 of 830 Old 03-28-2009, 04:56 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

"besides, there are no "non HDCP compliant" HDMI cables, the cable just transmits the data."

I always wondered about that. The cable would either be made correctly or not. But over time I have seen many references to "hdcp compliant" and it wouldn't be the first thing I misunderstood.

post #476 of 830 Old 03-28-2009, 04:06 PM

I was just wondering if this is because the Tuner is only 2 channel stereo or is there a setting i am missing to get some bass out of the FM radio. I do not have HD radio or Satellite radio. Any help with this would be great. Oh and another issue (which I kinda fixed) is that with my Xbox Elite i have to have an audio optical cable connected along with the HDMI cable in order to get the bass to play. Is this an issue with the Xbox?
post #477 of 830 Old 03-29-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

there is an issue with the Xbox where it gets "locked in" to 2-channel mode sometimes; I don't have a 360 so I can't say for sure, but I seem to remember others discussing this.

to get the sub to play with 2 channel content, go to the "2CH DIRECT/STEREO" submenu (found under MANUAL SETUP > AUDIO OPTIONS) and make sure the speakers are set to small and the sub set to LFE + MAIN.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #478 of 830 Old 04-12-2009, 09:04 AM

anyone knows why the bass is so weak on anything besides ps3/multi channel-in sources?? when watching blu-rays its perfect but when playing the xbox 360 with either the hdmi into the receiver or optical cable and satellite optical its very anemic with the bass. This is with the avr-888. I've tried all the setting speakers to small, sub setting to lfe+mains, sub trim is currently at 0db, crossover at 100hz, sub dial is at the 12 o'clock position. I have an epik castle subwoofer btw, but when watching tv or playing the xbox i have to crank up the sub trim or sub volume. anyone??
post #479 of 830 Old 04-12-2009, 09:15 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Another question for Mr Batpig. But, something to keep in mind: A lot of the SOURCE material, especially NON 5.1, is lacking in bass. The reason a bass boost button/dial is not uncommon and for a volume dial on a subwoofer.

post #480 of 830 Old 04-12-2009, 10:07 PM

yea i know this, but xbox 360 games come with 5.1 sound as default, and i do have my console sat up to output 5.1 sound, i just have to boost the sub trim i guess.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 888 7 1 Channel 5 1 2 Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi I O And Ser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page